Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
accelerometer and gyroscope — Parallax Forums

accelerometer and gyroscope

trannhtrannh Posts: 24
edited 2010-04-18 01:59 in Learn with BlocklyProp
Hi,

I am a biomedical engineering student and I am doing a project on using an accelerometer and a gyroscope to measure acceleration of the foot (x/y axis) and rotational velocity of the foot. I was wondering if anybody could give me an idea on how I can make these sensors output the necessary data. I'm having a hard time finding a way to incorporate an accelerometer and gyroscope onto a shoe. How can I allow the sensors to output digitally onto a computer? I am using the accelerometer and gyroscope modules right from Parallax. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I just need something to help me get going. Thank you.

Comments

• bill190bill190 Posts: 769
    edited 2010-04-05 22:27
    Perhaps a couple of Velcro straps around the shoe and another around the back of the shoe ankle to hold on just the sensors. (Side of shoe?)

Then run wires from the sensors up to a belt which would hold a microcontroller and a transmitter to transmit the information to another microcontroller and then to the PC?

Communications...
    http://www.parallax.com/Store/Accessories/CommunicationRF/tabid/161/CategoryID/36/List/0/Level/a/Default.aspx?SortField=ProductName,ProductName
  • achilles03achilles03 Posts: 247
    edited 2010-04-06 15:15
    You probably want a relatively fast sample rate (say 50Hz or more) if you really want to get some good data (impacts, etc). The best way to do this would probably be to hook the sensors up to an ADC, read them with the stamp, and write them to an EEPROM (or flash card if you want to go for hours of data). With a 64k eeprom, you can get at least 5 minutes of data at 50Hz.

Then, when you're done sampling, debug the eeprom data to the stamp software, which you can copy directly into EXCEL, Matlab, etc...

Hope that helps,
    Dave

P.S. If you can, low-pass filter your sensors prior to the ADC input... accelerometers and MEMS gyros can be a little noisy. Also put a cap across the sensor's power supply and ground, as well as at the ADC reference voltage and ground. It'll help you get smoother, less noisy data.
  • trannhtrannh Posts: 24
    edited 2010-04-06 19:04
    Achilles03: Thanks for the help. I'm kind of hazy on my signal processing material. For the ADC, would using a microcontroller work, since most have one? Also, I'm confused about reading them with the stamp and writing them to an EEPROM. Also, how do you debug the eeprom data? As for the LPF, that's a good idea since I know that the sensors will generate a lot of noise. How do I use that though prior to the ADC input?

bill190: That's a good idea. I had a similar idea. Would the Velcro straps be strong enough to hold the system together? I plan on putting the sensors on the side of the shoe since that would allow for the best data collection. Also, how would the straps connect to the sensors?
  • achilles03achilles03 Posts: 247
    edited 2010-04-06 19:19
    Hm, sounds like you haven't used an ADC or eeprom before. I'd recommend buying some from here or digikey and hooking it up and tinkering until you've figured it out. That's basically how most people here learned. It's really not hard if you use the documentation on this site.

Some microcontrollers have on-board ADCs, but the stamp doesn't, so you need to add it if you use a stamp. I'd recommend at least a 10-bit ADC depending on your sensor sensitivity. If you get one with 4 channels, you'll only need 1 chip.

As far as your program goes, basically it would go something like this:

Wait for start event (like a button push)
    LOOP:
    read ADC value for accelerometer X-dir
    read ADC value for accelerometer Y-dir
    read ADC value for gyro
    write values to EEPROM (<4 bytes if you're using a 10-bit ADC)
    if address is >65530 then end
    increment address
    pause X milliseconds
    goto LOOP
    end

To debug, upload a new program that'll read the data off the EEPROM 4 bytes at a time and debug it to the computer screen.

Hope that helps,
    Dave
  • bill190bill190 Posts: 769
    edited 2010-04-07 00:29
    As to the sensors on the sides of the shoes, how they are mounted would depend on how firmly attached to the shoe you needed them to be.

Just using velcro would have a bit of "wobble" to it I would imagine.

More firmly attached would be to screw or glue the sensors to the shoe, but then you would need different shoes for each person.

If it is just for one person, then maybe get a pair of shoes for just this and glue/screw/bolt or whatever - the sensors onto the shoes.

There is a learning curve to this "fastening" business! Probably the best thing to do would be to take the shoes and sensors to a small local hardware store. Then look for the old guy there. Show him what you want to do, then I would bet he would have some ideas.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2010-04-07 15:37
    The sensors themselves are fairly light, so it doesn't take much to attach them. Then you just run wires from the sensors to the uC. You can always put the uC on an ankle bracelet or belt pouch.

Also note that the accelerometers and gyroscope sold by parallax do not require an external ADC. The modules have all the analog circuitry incorporated on the board itself, so you just need to use serial communication to get the data. As always, look on the product page for sample code. All the Parallax products come with sample code for the BS2 that demonstrates how the sensor can be used.

You may also want to consider a faster BS2 such as the BS2px, or consider the Propeller as a microcontroller. I don't think the stock BS2 would have enough memory or speed to give you useful data in a project such as this. Also, you may want to consider streaming the data (either wirelessly or through a cable) to your computer, and log it there. The advantage is that you can see the data in real time, you don't have to recover it, and you can have a computer program parse the data on the fly. Plus, it gives you immediate feedback on if it's working or not. Of course, it may not be suitable for your application/

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Powered by enthusiasm
    edited 2010-04-07 20:16
    I plan on attaching the circuit board to the back of the foot, just under the ankle. I feel like that would be the best place to get data for acceleration as well as rotational velocity. Also, does anybody think that a gyroscope is unnecessary? Does the accelerometer allow me to get rotational velocity of the foot during walking?

Also, can the board hold all the necessary components: the two sensors, the microcontroller, and the transmitter (if used), as well as the 9V battery? Should I use multiple boards or would that be too cumbersome or big for proper placement on the heel?

I feel like directly connecting the board to the computer using a cable would be best for my project. Also, what exactly is the order of "construction"? I would like to keep everything on one board that can be mounted on the back of the foot. So the sensors would have to be sodered to the board, along with the microcontroller?

Does anybody think using the following microcontroller would work:
    https://www.parallax.com/Store/Microcontrollers/BASICStampModules/tabid/134/CategoryID/9/List/0/SortField/0/Level/a/ProductID/9/Default.aspx
    (does it already have an ADC?)

I want to thank everybody for helping me out and giving me their input. Thank you.
    edited 2010-04-07 20:35
    If you're using parallax sensors, then you won't need an ADC regardless of what microcontroller you use. The sensors have the ADC built in.

The BS2sx might work, but it would depend on how fast you want to sample. If you just want slow motion then 10Hz (my estimate with the sx) would be okay. Otherwise, I'd go with the BS2px. It can send serial data faster, which is a big boost in your throughput. Of course, if you're comfortable with programming then the Propeller would work as well, although the initial learning curve IMHO is steeper.

As for the design, unless you are making your own custom PCB (board) you may want to consider separating the sensors and the other things (microcontroller and power supply, namely). The more mass that you attach to the sensors, the more likely it is that it will cause bad measurements as the foot accelerates.

Accelerometers can be used for either rotation or linear acceleration, but not both at the same time. If you want both datasets then you need a gyroscope. Note also that if you want full three dimensional motion than you need three axes of acceleration data and three axes of gyro data. Theres lots more information on this subject floating around on the internet that you can find.

To go any further, we need to know more about your project, including the type of motion, it's speed, and the application.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Powered by enthusiasm
    edited 2010-04-07 20:51
    So how would I make the connections then? Should I use the BASIC Stamp 2 carrier board? So I would connect the microcontroller to the board, along with the sensors, and the battery can connect to it as well. Can that board connect to a computer?

For my project I want the accelerometer to give me data along 2 axes, to see acceleration upward and forward during walking. I want the gyroscope to measure the rotational velocity of the ankle as you lift your foot up during walking. I was told that using sampling at 50 Hz or more would be sufficient for this. I only want to record data for 5-10 ft of walking or about 5 seconds of recording. What do you recommend I get in regards to the board, microcontroller, or any connections needed? Also, where do I get the program needed to read the data from the sensors?
  • Steph LindsaySteph Lindsay Posts: 767
    edited 2010-04-07 23:29
    Hi Trannh,

There will be example code for both sensors at the bottom of their downloads pages. You will need to adapt the sample code to your application.

For more in-depth programming and·datalogging applications for the·Memsic 2-axis Accelerometer with a BASIC Stamp, see Smart Sensors and Applications - the text and sample code are free downloads. For beginner BASIC Stamp programming, see What's a Microcontroller - it's also included as a PDF in the BASIC Stamp Editor Software.

-Steph
    edited 2010-04-07 23:48
    All the connections that you will need are documented in the various datasheets of the sensors that you use. You can always put longer wires in there to move the sensor further from the board, although there is a limit to how long. A couple of feet should probably be okay.

The microcontroller will always need some sort of connection to the computer, if only to program it. I suggest that you start reading What's A Microcontroller, pdf available from the Parallax website. It will give you an introduction to PBASIC programming. You can use the sample code that is included with each of the sensors to give you a start, but you will have to program the application yourself. It isn't a particularly difficult program as far as these things go.

To get the data from the microcontroller to the PC you have two options: wireless or wired. The wired option is easier, and may or may not be possible. I don't know, but what I would do is buy some USB extension cables that would go the entire distance that you expect to get the motion. It would probably be better if the cables were powered and shielded, but plain vanilla might work. You could also put the subject on a treadmill and then you wouldn't need an extension cable. Alternatively, you could use wireless. This is a bit more involved, but I would use the XBee modules and adapter boards from Parallax (one 3.3v to 5v board and 1 USB board). You'll have to reconfigure them to have a higher baud rate, since 9600 is just too slow. The reconfiguration is simple by using the free X-CTU software.

As far as the board you'll probably want to go with something that is soldered, since that is more mechanically robust than a solderless breadboard (like the BOE). The carrier board family would work.

Where to go from here? Amass knowledge about your materials: read all the datasheets, read "What's a Microcontroller", learn some basic electric circuits (what WAM provides is enough), and do some test programs and connections to make sure you know everything.

On second thought, let's compute your data rate. Suppose that each axis is two bytes (1 word) of data, then you have 6 bytes of data for each cycle. Let's double the data magnitude for side effects and delays and whatnot, so that's 12 bytes per cycle. At your desired 50Hz, that 600 bytes of data per second. If you use a 9600 baud, then you can get 9600/8 bytes per second or 1200 bytes per second. Therefore, fully half the time will be spend just transmitting the data, which is far to slow to allow you to acquire it all.

I'd go with the Propeller, since you won't have any trouble with low speed. If you really don't think that you're up to the programming, then a BS2px would be your best alternative. It can transmit at 19200, which would give you 25% time in transmission.

And an hour and a dozen interruptions later I finish... Sorry for the randomness.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Powered by enthusiasm
    edited 2010-04-08 00:25
    I believe that the BS2px would be best for me because of not only cost, but because of my lack of knowledge in programming. If I do go with the BS2px, what would be the best sampling rate? Also, what do you mean with the longer wires with the sensors and board? Doesn't the sensors go on the BS2 carrier board along with the microcontroller, which would then be mounted on the shoe?

Also, where can I get the USB extension cables at?

Lastly, all the connections have been made on the carrier board (the sensors as well as the microcontroller), and I have found the USB cables of the right length, how do I start programming and testing? I know that PBasic is used to program, but do I need to buy the software or does it come with something?
    edited 2010-04-08 00:55
    Would this extension cable work? http://www.circuitcity.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4311583&CatId=444

Also, for the BS2px, I'm using the accelerometer on 2 axes and only 1 for the gyroscope. Does that affect how much time is spent transmitting?

Would you recommend using the BS2 carrier board or the HW Board?

Post Edited (trannh) : 4/8/2010 2:36:11 AM GMT
    edited 2010-04-08 21:03
    The BS2px could probably get (my estimation) 20Hz. I don't have any numbers to back that up, but just a WAG. You'd have to try it out to tell for sure, but I do think 20Hz would be achievable.

As for the longer wires, I simple mean that components don't have to be located physically close to one another. In electric circuit theory, a wire is considered to have no resistance so you can move things indefinately far from one another with no effect. Of course the real world doesn't operate like that, but you can probably get a couple of feet. What this means is that you can mount your sensors at the end of a wire bundle (5 or 6 wires, probably) and have it located further away from the microcontroller board. It won't change anything as far as the code or sensing is concerned, because to the uC it's just like the sensors were right next door. All that I'm saying with this is that a whole board on the shoe might be a little clunky, so you can just put the sensors there and run wires to the board on the belt or something. I doubt that you could just put the board on the desk and run 15 feet of wire: that's probably too far for reliable operation.

PBASIC is free. The environment (program) is available for download from Parallax. I suggest that you take a look at the WAM tutorial, it gives a complete introduction to getting started with the BS2. Note though that you'll need to get a USB to serial adapter from Parallax, unless your computer has a serial port.

Yes, that extension cable would probably work.

As for the data transmitted, the more sensors/axes that you have the more data that you transmit. If you add more sensors, you will clearly have more data to get to the destination (the computer), so it will spend more time transmitting and hence slow down how often it can collect data. Note also that you may be able to optimize your data transmission by packing together the bits of the value. My estimate was based on two bytes per DOF, but IIRC the sensors provide 10 bit resolution. This means that you can really get all three samples in 4 bytes of data if you shove them together. This is a little bit more complicated (not much), and isn't human readable, but it does reduce the amount of data transmitted by 1/3.

The HW board is just a board with a BS2 permanently mounted to it. It also has a solderless breadboard, which wouldn't be mechanically strong for this sort of project.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔