Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax USB driver installation error $80000000 - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Parallax USB driver installation error $80000000

2»

Comments

• LorenzoLorenzo Posts: 8
    edited 2010-01-15 17:39
    I uninstall the drivers in XP with System Restore. Now install· v2.04.16 but when restore defaults in "Port Preferences..." Option and try again, for example Indentify Hardware, Show a Dialog with "Found PropScope on Com5". I change port number·and·the software find de PropScope, but when i try to connect, show the same error:

"Could not start running. Ensure your PropScope is connected and try again. Detail: Unable to connect

Error: 0 on . LastUnknow Port:"

how i test the hardware? i think the problem is driver, but i test in 3 computers (XP and Win7 and diferents language) and dident connect.

The only in commond of 3 computers is previusly have a software install to use Parallax USB Oscilloscope (v4 and v5.1.1) and the other Osciloscope work fine (maybe change timer parameter in advance diver settings)

Please help me to solve this probleme, because is dificult to me to return this PropScope to USA.
  • Jeff MartinJeff Martin Posts: 755
    edited 2010-01-15 21:41
    Lorenzo said...

I uninstall the drivers in XP with System Restore. Now install· v2.04.16 but when restore defaults in "Port Preferences..." Option and try again, for example Indentify Hardware, Show a Dialog with "Found PropScope on Com5". I change port number·and·the software find de PropScope, but when i try to connect, show the same error:

"Could not start running. Ensure your PropScope is connected and try again. Detail: Unable to connect

Please help me to solve this probleme, because is dificult to me to return this PropScope to USA.

Hi Lorenzo,

We will do our best to get it solved for you.· I understand how difficult it would be to have to return the PropScope, but we'll work something out if it comes to that.· I will discuss this with another engineer to see if we can narrow down what is happening.· Thank you for your patience.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2010-01-15 23:21
    Lorenzo said...

Hi Lorenzo,
    Can you post a screenshot of your Device Manager when your PropScope is plugged into the computer?· (Like the one I've attached here with the Ports section expanded... no need to highlight the PropScope though.)
    You can do this by clicking Start then right-clicking on My Computer and selecting Properties, then select the Hardware tab and click the Device Manager button.
    We're looking at the code and trying to figure out exactly where the problem is.

Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2010-01-18 15:30
    Hi, i try to install a complete new S.O in a diferent computer.
    I install Windows XP, SP3, after, download the program, form http://www.paralax.com/go/propscope.
    When i install, ask to install .net, and install from the button.
    ...and the problem is the same. The computer is a DELL, the PropScope is install in the fron USB
    In all computers, the divice appear as "USB Serial Port (COM3)" not PropScope.
    edited 2010-01-18 16:28
    Lorenzo said...
    Hi, i try to install a complete new S.O in a diferent computer.
    I install Windows XP, SP3, after, download the program, form http://www.paralax.com/go/propscope.
    When i install, ask to install .net, and install from the button.
    ...and the problem is the same. The computer is a DELL, the PropScope is install in the fron USB
    In all computers, the divice appear as "USB Serial Port (COM3)" not PropScope.

Hi Lorenzo,

Thank you very much for the information and screenshot and for your patience... we'll get this solved.

Just to make sure, did you also run the updated Parallax Driver Installer?· I've attached it to this message for your convenience?

If not, please run it and make sure it gives you a "successful" message, then try the same thing you did before (check Device Manager to see if the PropScope appears as a "PropScope" or if it appears as a "USB Serial Port (COM3)."

Based on this recent information, I fear that the PropScope you received did not get properly programmed here at Parallax before being shipped to you.· If it had been properly programmed, it shouldn't show up in the Device Manager at all, unless the Parallax USB Drivers were installed, and if it did show up, it should have been called "PropScope" and not "USB Serial Port."

We may be able to fix it for you without requiring that·you or us·ship anything to each other... but if it requires that, we'll take care of it in the best way possible.

Once you answer the question above, I'll know how to proceed.

Thank you for your time and effort.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2010-01-18 17:24
    Lorenzo,

One more question... if you still have the white PropScope box·that it was·packed in when you received it, could you tell me the·5-digit number (blue ink probably) that is stamped on one side of the box (like 23225, or something similar)? ·That number·indicates the production job of that unit and knowing it may help us determine when it happened and how we can fix our internal processes to prevent this kind of thing in the future.

Thanks!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2010-01-18 17:30
    Yes, is 23225
    edited 2010-01-18 17:54
    Jeff:

Im reinstaling the O.S. again.

Can you answer is the folow steps are correct?

a) Install O.S. (XP SP3 English Version)

b) Donload Software of Propscope

c) Install Software with no USB drivers

d) Install USB drivers Patch ver 2

e) Connect PropScope

f) Test the program.

The PC, now, have only step A and B. do you like to conect using remote program, like VNC or other help to determind the problem?
    edited 2010-01-18 21:47
    Lorenzo said...

Jeff:

Im reinstaling the O.S. again.

Can you answer is the folow steps are correct?

<snip>

Hi Lorenzo,

Yes, those steps are correct.

I probably won't need to connect to your computer remotely, but if so, I can do so tomorrow.· I think I'll have to send you a program to reprogram your PropScope.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2010-01-19 01:05
    Thanks, I repeat the steps and the proble is the same.
    Can yo send my the program to reprogram PropScope by usb?
    edited 2010-01-19 13:55
    Lorenzo said...
    Thanks, I repeat the steps and the proble is the same.
    Can yo send my the program to reprogram PropScope by usb?
    Hi Lorenzo,

Okay, attached is the PropScope Programming software.· It configures the PropScope's USB chip for the settings required for proper operation.

Here's how to use it:
    1. Make sure you have the Parallax USB Drivers installed on the computer.
    2. Connect your PropScope to the PC.
      1. Make sure the PropScope is the only Parallax product connected to the PC (and also the only generic FTDI-based USB product connected); check for additional "USB Serial Port" devices in device manager... there should only be one: your PropScope product.
    3. Run the ProgramPropScopeFTDI.exe program.
    4. A window should appear that will scan for your device, will show some attribute information about it and will display "Ready to Program" if everything is ready to proceed.
    5. Click the "Program" button.
    6. It will say "Programming...", (a few seconds) then Verifying... (you'll hear the USB connect/disconnect sound from the PC), then, if all went well, it will say "Success!" and will close.
    7. Device manager should now say "PropScope" for your PropScope device instead of "USB Serial Port" and your PropScope should now work with the PropScope software as originally intended.
    8. Your PropScope was probably not calibrated.· To do this, you'll have to carefully follow a series of additional steps.· I'll contact the proper engineer to post those steps in this thread for you.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2010-01-19 16:14
    Thanks, The PropScope is correctly programed. But i wait the calibrate steps, because the program show an error.
    This error is a calibration error?
    I connect in diferent computer (XP, Win7, in english, spanis) and the error is the same
    edited 2010-01-19 16:16
    Lorenzo said...
    Thanks, The PropScope is correctly programed. But i wait the calibrate steps, because the program show an error.
    This error is a calibration error?
    I connect in diferent computer (XP, Win7, in english, spanis) and the error is the same
    I'm not sure.· I'll have Hanno and David look at it and they'll tell you if it's a calibration issue or not.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2010-01-21 00:10
    Lorenzo,

We decided to ship you a new one that is fully programmed, calibrated and tested (as it should have been in the first place). We could have you calibrate your current one remotely, but there's still a chance that a minor defect would not be noticed until much later and at this point we need to do whatever we can to make your PropScope experience much better. You'll be receiving the new one soon.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2010-01-25 15:49
    Yes, thanks, I already got the replacement, and worked the first time.
    edited 2010-01-25 18:09
    Fantastic!· Thanks for your patience.· We are very sorry for the trouble and are closely monitoring production of future units.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
  • hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2010-01-25 23:17
    Hi Jeff,
    I also have a Run Number of 23225. Do you think Lorenzo's problem was an isolated case? I have not had enough time to check the calibration error yet.

I have 1.0.3 which I believe takes care of the offset problem.

Best,
    Jim
    Jeff Martin (Parallax) said...
    Fantastic! Thanks for your patience. We are very sorry for the trouble and are closely monitoring production of future units.
    Post Edited (hover1) : 1/25/2010 11:23:13 PM GMT
    edited 2010-01-26 00:25
    Hi Jim (hover1),

Well, we know of two cases where this happend, so it's not completely isolated, but rare.· In both cases, it was an all-or-nothing situation where the PropScope was either fully programmed/tested/calibrated, or not at all programmed/tested/calibrated.

We think this will be the last of the occurrences as we have reviewed the manufacturing procedures and let the necessary staff know of the issue.

It looks like yours is just fine and there's no need for concern.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Jeff Martin

· Sr. Software Engineer
    · Parallax, Inc.
  • TechnogizmoTechnogizmo Posts: 2
    edited 2012-02-06 16:53
    Hello, I am trying to install the USB driver to use a USB to Serial cable on my BASIC Stamp homework board.
    I used the download link on this page

http://www.parallax.com/tabid/530/Default.aspx

but after I clicked Run and Install I got the message.

"Installation error.
    One or more components of driver could not be installed. Error Code: $80000000"

I like in Southern California and am using a computer with Windows XP 32-bit.

Someone please save me!

~Walter
  • tsverlingertsverlinger Posts: 1
    edited 2012-09-03 13:58
    Hi I got the same ..$80000000 error message.I have also tried all the steps in this tread but with no success.I'm using windows 7 and the usb-serial converter that follwed the kit for the BS2.What to do?BR//Torbj