Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Where is the Parallax IR sensor? — Parallax Forums

Where is the Parallax IR sensor?

DgswanerDgswaner Posts: 795
edited 2009-11-02 22:09 in Accessories
I'm hoping for some comments from parallax employees but any input is welcome.

it seems like Sharp has taken all of the work out of IR sensors, but I'm still surprised that Parallax doesn't have an IR sensor. any one know why? is it not accurate enough, in demand enough? ...

I keep waiting and hoping that one will be produced. I know you can use the sharp IR sensors pretty easily but choosing and ADC and connecting it properly is still a bit out of my league.

The Ping sensor is great, but I'm finding it difficult to build a free roaming indoor robot with just Ultra sonic sensors. I guess it might be easier to upgrade my couches to leather!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
DGSwaner

"When in doubt, use C4" - Jamie Hyneman, Myth Buster

Comments

• Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,547
    edited 2009-10-19 04:10
    Dgswaner,

But we do have IR sensors... these units are sensitive to about 8 to 10 meters.

www.parallax.com/Store/Components/Optoelectronics/tabid/152/txtSearch/IR/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/177/Default.aspx

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2009-10-19 04:33
    He might be referring to a distance sensor like this one (pdf) that use an IRED in combination with a PSD and triangulation to compute distance. The problem with these kinds of sensors, though, is that they work poorly with small or non-uniform targets, such as the obstacles a robot might encounter. They're more for judging the distance to a uniformly-bright flat surface.

-Phil

Post Edited (Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)) : 10/19/2009 4:38:46 AM GMT
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-10-19 19:37
    Dgswaner,

Parallax used to carry the Sharp GP2D12 sensor. The problem I think at the time was cost vs. sales, though I don’t know for sure.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    50 72 6F 6A 65 63 74 20 53 69 74 65
    ·
  • DgswanerDgswaner Posts: 795
    edited 2009-10-22 02:30
    I guess I should have been more specific. I'd love to see a IR range finder/proximity detector. and since this is my dream I'll give the details. I'd love to see a sensor build on the Sharp GP2Y0A02YK sensor. this magical sensor would handle all of the ADC conversions. and output a distance in in/mm or return a Boolean value based on a predetermined distance, all via a serial connection. better yet the sensor controller could handle 3-4 IR sensors. and read all of the distances via one serial connection. perhaps a distance tolerance could be set, which would set an I/O pin high, or just be one of the readable variables.

I would have though this sensor would have been made long ago. the ping sensor is great but ultrasonic has it's limitations which IR handles well.

Being entry level, I have to say that the Sharp Sensors are a bit more than I can deal with. if it connected with the standard 3 pins most of the parallax sensors did I'm sure it would be a big hit. ok well bigger than just the sharp IR sensor.

ok dream over. I'm ready for the brutal facts of product development and sales.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    DGSwaner

"When in doubt, use C4" - Jamie Hyneman, Myth Buster
  • PrettybirdPrettybird Posts: 269
    edited 2009-10-22 11:19
    I have an old Sharp GP2D05 (new) if interestted. Parallax use to use this at one time. Also have some appications I got off google for basic stamp operation. It has 4 wires and I am running short of I/O. I'll let it go for $10 + $3 shipping if interestted. I am more fimilar with sharp 3 wire analog using a comparator. Check out my mini monster boe under completed projects a few months ago. I use two, 3 wire sharp sensors with an analog ajustable range using the LM 339 comparator.

Post Edited (Prettybird) : 10/22/2009 11:30:38 AM GMT
  • tronsnavytronsnavy Posts: 70
    edited 2009-10-22 16:24
    Not sure if this is what you are looking for... I used existing parallax ir sensor (and detector) for my bot (with a catch).· The PEK book·describes·a unique way of "modulating" the ir led (requires 2 i/o pins for the ir led).· Check out the section in Counters.· It describes a way of getting distance from the ir led/phototransistor pair.· Understand that accuracy is not great, but it keeps my bot from running into things that ping can't detect (like clothing, padded funiture, ect.).· Like I said, this might not be what you want, but if you are·interested in the spin code, let me know.· Have a good one. http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=838569· See my post "USING PING AND IR AT THE SAME TIME" under "sensors"
    ·
  • PrettybirdPrettybird Posts: 269
    edited 2009-10-22 22:29
    This is an old program I found on google but never tried it. I prefer working with logic control more then measurement control until I get better at programming. I am happy with the newer style analog sharp sensors for now. Just one output is needed.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    edited 2009-11-02 22:09
    Lots of IR sensors & other parts at very low prices at http://www.junun.org/MarkIII/Store.jsp

Service can be delightfully quick or painfully slow, I've experienced both.

More sensors at http://www.acroname.com/robotics/parts/c_Sensors.html

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."