Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS1 Programming on the Parallel Port? — Parallax Forums

BS1 Programming on the Parallel Port?

Mark FowleMark Fowle Posts: 3
edited 2009-08-19 22:58 in BASIC Stamp
Does the the Basic Stamp Editor 2.3.3 not support the Parallel port interface any more?· I'm trying to program a BS1 with a very old program using·the Parallel port interface from many year ago.·

Couldn't find any way to set up the BS1 for LPT1 programming.

-Mark-

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-08-19 01:28
    The Stamp Editor does not support the parallel port interface any more. There are still copies of the MSDOS BS1 compiler around that does work with a parallel port. I don't know if there are links on the Parallax website, but you could call tech support and they would e-mail you a copy.
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,560
    edited 2009-08-19 03:55
    Mark,

I pulled the attached files from a catalog distribution CD I received from Parallax several years ago.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • Mark FowleMark Fowle Posts: 3
    edited 2009-08-19 17:49
    Mike & Beau,

Thanks that helps alot. I'll probably need to get one of the serial programmers, but for now this is exactly what I need.

Thanks again,

-Mark-
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-08-19 18:23
    Parallax sells a serial adapter for BS1 programming that works with the current Stamp Editor. It's only $5. The schematic is given on the page linked to from the webstore so you can build your own if you want.

www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/44/Default.aspx?txtSearch=bs1+adapter
  • Mark FowleMark Fowle Posts: 3
    edited 2009-08-19 19:00
    Mike,

Yeah, can't beat that price. I'll probably get one next time we order from Parallax. I just need to get this out the door so hopefully the old version of the software will do the trick for now.

Thanks,

-Mark-
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2009-08-19 22:58
    I still occasionally program the BS1 & BS2·using an old laptop and their respective original DOS editors and the parallel & serial ports. Every day, people throw away old Win95 laptops that can use DOS for programming stamps "in the field" (for me, the Trinity FF Robot contest). Staying proficient with DOS is good for the soul and makes you appreciate XP, Vista and hopefully the new 7 OS. My first laptop was an old Toshiba with a dead hard drive. I used the 3.5" floppy drive exclusively. The process of making a self-booting stamp editor floppy disk with command.com and autoexec.bat files was a rite of passage.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."