Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
The 6.250MHz crystals are in! Run your Propeller at 100MHz... - Page 3 — Parallax Forums

The 6.250MHz crystals are in! Run your Propeller at 100MHz...

13»

Comments

• potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,253
    edited 2009-07-03 03:19
    Most of the drivers are parametric, meaning their counter and VCSL values are derived from the main clock.

A few aren't and will need a quick recalculation. I do know that anything built off the Parallax driver is going to work, as well stuff built off of SIMPLE_NTSC / Potatohead drivers.

I just got a demoboard working, and that was my plan for the weekend. Sweet! Nice to know it works.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!
    Chat in real time with other Propellerheads on IRC #propeller @ freenode.net
    Safety Tip: Life is as good as YOU think it is!
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2009-07-03 03:38
    Why thank you...

And yes, a 25% speed increase is definitely noticable!

Well written software should only require changing the _xinfreq line, as you've noticed... and later, under Largos, Largos-aware code won't even have to change that, as under Largos programs are NOT allowed to change it, but are to read it from the OS smile.gif
    Oldbitcollector said...
    Just plugged one of these little gems into my demoboard...

Why didn't you say that I wouldn't have to adjust my video settings??!!
    These are an EXCELLENT replacement! Only requirement is to change
    the _xinfreq line. It might be my imagination, but even Aigeneric seems
    to be crisper at this speed.

Very Nice upgrade and well recommended!

OBC
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.mikronauts.com - my site my 6.250MHz custom Crystals for running Propellers at 100MHz
    Las - Large model assembler for the Propeller Largos - a feature full nano operating system for the Propeller
    Please use mikronauts _at_ gmail _dot_ com to contact me off-forum, my PM is almost totally full
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2009-07-03 03:38
    Glad to hear you like it smile.gif

My testing showed it would work smile.gifsmile.gifsmile.gif
    potatohead said...
    Most of the drivers are parametric, meaning their counter and VCSL values are derived from the main clock.

A few aren't and will need a quick recalculation. I do know that anything built off the Parallax driver is going to work, as well stuff built off of SIMPLE_NTSC / Potatohead drivers.

I just got a demoboard working, and that was my plan for the weekend. Sweet! Nice to know it works.
    ▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.mikronauts.com - my site my 6.250MHz custom Crystals for running Propellers at 100MHz
    Las - Large model assembler for the Propeller Largos - a feature full nano operating system for the Propeller
    Please use mikronauts _at_ gmail _dot_ com to contact me off-forum, my PM is almost totally full
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2009-07-03 08:13
    Hi All.

I tested it to ...
    Works on mostly Drivers ... But some VGA drivers ned adjustments on Frame Rate with some monitors.
    But it was not new info for me that i RUN Propeller often with diferent frequencies.

Regards
    Christoffer

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Nothing is impossible, there are only different degrees of difficulty.
    For every stupid question there is at least one intelligent answer.
    Don't guess - ask instead.
    If you don't ask you won't know.
    If your gonna construct something, make it·as simple as·possible yet as versatile as posible.

Sapieha
  • hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2009-07-10 18:11
  • BigFootBigFoot Posts: 259
    edited 2009-07-27 00:07
    I use a 47uF, 10V tantalum cap on both the input & output of the 3.3 volt regulator.
    We also use a good quality .1uF ceramic capacitor directly under the propeller chip
    on the backside of the board.

Electrolytic capacitors are inexpensive but have a shorter life, they can even explode
    and leak electrolyte all over. Tantalum caps on the other hand have a longer lifetime,
    much lower impedance's and are dry inside.

Russ