Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Need Help Controlling a Turbo with Basic Stamp — Parallax Forums

Need Help Controlling a Turbo with Basic Stamp

TorquedTorqued Posts: 31
edited 2009-05-03 04:32 in BASIC Stamp
I purchased an· OEM Basic Stamp 2 back in July of 2000.· Really liked the concept and wanted to learn more.· Picked up several of the tutorial packages to get familiar with it and learn more about electronics.· I was impressed·by the capabilities and knew this was a device in seach of a project.

Fast forward 9 years.· Became interested in turbochargers and picked up a Garrett variable nozzle turbine (VNT)·turbo.· VNT turbos have vanes that swivel in the turbine to allow the turbo to spool faster at low rpms.· At higher·rpms, the vanes open up to allow the engine to breathe better.· The advantage of VNT technology is a broader torque curve than provided by a traditional turbo.

The turbo came from·a Detroit Diesel·engine.· DD controls the postion of the vanes by varying the pressure of compressed air fed to an actuator.· The engine control module (ECM)·sends PWM signals to a variable pressure output device (VPOD).· The VPOD takes in 90-120 psi air and outputs 0-75 psi depending on the PWM signal sent from the ECM.

I'm attempting to control the VPOD with my Basic Stamp.· I'm really weak when it comes to·the·electrical engineering aspects of this project. I would like to·get things set up properly without burning·out my·Stamp, my VPOD, or both.· Anybody willing to lend me a hand with this project?· I could sure use someone knowledgeable·in electronics (and Basic Stamp programming for that matter).

The VPOD has·a·3 wire plug.·The middle pin is for PWM (full open at 7% PWM and full close at 90% PWM).· One wire for +12V, other for ground.· Looking at different Detroit Diesel documentation, there seems to be a 12 and 24v version of the VPOD and·positive and negative·are swapped depending on which·voltage·you're running.· Mine is 12v.· Still trying to figure it out which wire goes where, if it matters.

Testing gameplan:· Supply 100psi to the VPOD from my compressor, put a gauge on the output, vary PWM using the Basic Stamp and observe pressure changes on the gauge.

Any takers?

Post Edited (Torqued) : 4/7/2009 7:18:39 PM GMT
640 x 643 - 44K
668 x 788 - 75K

Comments

• TorquedTorqued Posts: 31
    edited 2009-04-07 19:30
    The·first·step is using·12v to power the stamp and the VPOD.· I'm assuming they will need to share a common ground for PWM to work.

I've got a·wall wart·that supplies 12v to a cigarette lighter receptical, and a lighter plug with a fuse and two wires that I can power up my breadboard.· The VPOD needs 12v and the Stamp needs·9v or 5v.

What is the way to get the proper volts and amps, for the Stamp and the VPOD while sharing a common ground?· (Yes, I am an electronics newbie blush.gif, I am a bit stronger with programming smile.gif)

Post Edited (Torqued) : 4/7/2009 8:00:34 PM GMT
  • ProcessingData...ProcessingData... Posts: 208
    edited 2009-04-07 21:02
    I believe (accually, KNOW) that the BS2 can be powered at 12vDC. You can power it from a small car battery, and also the VPOD. Then, you want to use an Optical Isolater to give the PWM to the VPOD from the Stamp. -- ProccessingData

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Basic Stamp,···· Propeller,·· · SX,·· FUN!

START:·
    >Proccessing Data. . . .··
    >Task Complete. . .·.
    >Saving Data. . . .
    >Entering SLEEP Mode. . . .
    >Signing OFF

·
  • mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
    edited 2009-04-07 21:41
    Torqued·I am doing this with a prop chip maybe we can help each other , I do not have any doc on the Turbo but do know the BS2 and electronics . I did not realize I needed to put compressed air in, I am putting mine a Quad I have some big Garrets on my Corvette that I control with the prop /race car only but they do not need external comperssed air. My understanding about this turbo was it used the compressed air from an outlet on the turbo????
    I will watch this post. Do you have an oscilscope and what are you planning on using the turbo on
    Mike

·
    edited 2009-04-07 21:57
    ProcessingData: It's going to be in a car eventually running on switched 12v power.· I mentioned the wall wart for prototyping prior to installation.·

So·the BS2 regulator can safely dump the heat from 12v down to 5v?· What about when the vehicle is running and the·voltage is higher than 12v due to the alternator?· Spikes?· Noise?

Looking for long term reliability.· If·the regulator is·up to the task as is, terrific.· But if this is a marginal solution, I would rather set it up properly up front.

I'll read up a bit on the optical isolators.· Thanks for the info and suggestions.

Post Edited (Torqued) : 4/7/2009 10:16:42 PM GMT
    edited 2009-04-07 22:13
    mikediv: The big rig diesels have onboard compressed air for brakes, horns, and other accessories.··The air·to acutate this one·does not come from the turbo.· I'm setting up a little system to supply the vpod.

It's quite possible your turbo is not air actuated.· Some of the Holset VGT turbos (similar to VNT) use an electric stepper, while others use hydraulic pressure from the oiling system.· There's a variety of ways they operate, mine happens to be pneumatic.

I don't have a scope.· The·engine is a 502 BBC.· Came from GMPP with a·forged bottom end·(crank, rods, and pistons).· Suitable for moderate levels of boost.· Ring end gaps might be a little tight though.· The turbo can deliver enough air for 700-900 horsepower.· I'll be starting out much lower than that.
    edited 2009-04-07 22:36
    @ Torqued
    The battery idea was only for prototype work. In order to make it run off the car Battery, you will have to build a 12v Regulator. if you google it, you should be able to come up with a good circuit. I'll help you as much as i can.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

>Task Complete. . .·.
    >Saving Data. . . .
    >Signing OFF

·
    edited 2009-04-07 23:43
    Much appreciated.· I'll look into the regulator.· If I'm going to put together a regulator, any reason to shoot for 12vdc?· Would 9v or some other voltage be better to supply the stamp?

I had read up a bit on electronics last summer when I was contemplating this project.· Unfortunately, without applying it, most of the knowledge seems to have dribbled out of my head.·
    edited 2009-04-07 23:59
    I have found that my HomeWork Board works best at 12v, and parts are less expensive at the 12v level.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

>Task Complete. . .·.
    >Saving Data. . . .
    >Signing OFF

·
    edited 2009-04-08 00:04
    I'm looking in the 2009 Parallax product catalog. For the Basic Stamp 2, says the voltage requirements are 5-15VDC. Hmmm....

I wonder if my OEM Basic Stamp 2 from July of 2000 has the same regulator.

From the packing slip: 27210 Summer Stamp Pack (Assembled)

On the stamp: OEM BASIC Stamp 2 Rev A

I think the regulator has a piece of metal protruding up with a hole in it: EM02AJ LM294OCT -5.0 P+
    edited 2009-04-08 21:36
    Torqued, the regulator should be able to handle the straight 12v from the battery, but i have found that in some of my projects, the voltage coming out of the car spikes up to 24v and while running, can produce 19v! I think it is better to play it safe with a wide range regulator feeding the stamp, then to hook it up directly.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

>Task Complete. . .·.
    >Saving Data. . . .
    >Signing OFF

·
    edited 2009-04-08 23:39
    Any part numbers you could recommend for the regulator?
    edited 2009-04-09 02:09
    Try the 7812A. It should be able to handle the spikes.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

>Task Complete. . .·.
    >Saving Data. . . .
    >Signing OFF

·
    edited 2009-04-09 15:26
    Not sure if I will need a PWM Pal, but will this work with a BS2 OEM chip? They always show the BS2 that looks like a small pcb with components on it, while mine is just one IC. Just looking into options...

http://www.parallax.com/StoreSearchResults/tabid/768/List/0/SortField/4/ProductID/67/Default.aspx?txtSearch=PWM+PAL

Not sure I understand when you need to·use one of these.· Is it so you can free up the processor on the Stamp to do other things like check sensor input while continuing to output a steady PWM until you need to change it?

Post Edited (Torqued) : 4/9/2009 5:06:14 PM GMT
    edited 2009-04-09 16:48
    OK, looking into the PWM command and thinking about the circuit that will be needed to make this work...

Synatax for BS2 PWM is:

PWM pin, duty, cycles

Convert a digital value to analog output via pulse-width modulation.

-Pin is a variable/constant (0-15) This pin will be placed into output mode during pulse generation then switched to input mode when the instruction finishes.

-Duty is a variable/constant (0-255) that specifies the analog output level (0-5v).

-Cycles is a variable/constant (0-65535) specifying an approximate number of milliseconds of PWM output.

Pin: Easy enough.

Duty:· Analog output level (0-5v).· Found a scrap of information from a Detroit Diesel troubleshooting manual that might be helpful.· Apparently, the PWM signal from the·Engine Control Unit (ECU) sent to the VPOD on the middle pin·can be·as much as 12v (or more accurately, as much as 13.8v).··To troubleshoot,·the doc says to·connect a VOM (Volt/Ohm Meter?) across the PWM cavity in the plug to the ground cavity in the plug.· Using some other test equipment, get the·ECU to send a 50% duty cycle PWM.· The doc says you should see a voltage·of 6.8v, plus or minus 1 volt.· They show the calc (13.8v * 0.5 = 6.8v).· The Stamp puts·out a PWM signal of 0-5v.· So I'll need to do something to get the voltage into the range the VPOD is expecting.

ProcessingData recommended using an optical isolator between the Stamp and VPOD when sending the PWM signal to protect the Stamp.

Another question is how much current should be allowed to·flow through the PWM line?· Since I'm weak in electronics, I don't know how to think·this through.· Will the VPOD only take·the current·it needs and as long as I have at least enough current·available?· Or, do I need to limit the current·entering the VPOD·so it doesn't get damaged?· If I need to limit, how do I figure this out, or what is a safe approach to discovering what's required?

Cycles: How do I·determine the frequency the VPOD is expecting/requires?· Since I don't have access to a real Detroit Diesel 14 liter Series 60, the ECU, or the plug that feeds the VPOD, what is the·way to figure this out?· Where does the danger lie and what is the safe way of figuring this out?

Circuit Design: OK, we need optical isolation, and we need to amplify a 0-5v PWM signal to a 0-12v PWM signal, and we may or may not need to limit current flow entering the VPOD on the PWM line.· What does·the circuit that accomplishes these requirements look like?

Post Edited (Torqued) : 4/9/2009 5:08:12 PM GMT
    edited 2009-04-09 19:53
    Try the attached schematic, (forgive the horrible detail, it's the best i can do with word)

Depending on the Opto type, you may need to add a 220-1k ohm resistor on the BS2 line.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

>Task Complete. . .·.
    >Saving Data. . . .
    >Signing OFF

edited 2009-04-09 21:46
    Thanks for the diagram!·

...So the optical isolator will not only protect my Stamp, but also bring my PWM up from 5v to 12v.· Great!· Seems almost too good to be true, but makes sense.· Many thanks!·

Do you have a part number·for the isolator you would recommend?

You mention a 10K Pot on the PWM line leading to the VPOD...is this to adjust the resistance/current flow to the VPOD?··Is·this to·"ease into" the testing of the·VPOD·by starting·out with a lot of resistance and gradually reducing it until the VPOD starts working?

Again, I apologize for my ignorance and really appreciate the help you're providing.

Post Edited (Torqued) : 4/9/2009 10:00:20 PM GMT
    edited 2009-04-10 02:57
    Yes, The 10k pot is for testing the VPOD, and protecting it. I don't have any specific Opto #'s but maybe the rest of the forum could help us out here. We need an Optoisolator that can handle up to 18v on the output, and high amperage. Anyone?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

>Task Complete. . .·.
    >Saving Data. . . .
    >Signing OFF

Post Edited (ProcessingData...) : 4/10/2009 8:43:50 PM GMT
    edited 2009-04-10 21:49
    Found this pic in an old thread; modified it to fit your project.·It should work!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

>Task Complete. . .·.
    >Saving Data. . . .
    >Signing OFF

Opto.bmp 768.9K
    edited 2009-04-11 01:33
    Thanks for the info on the 4N35!

Asked Parallax Support to makes some recomendations for an optocoupler to use with my BS2.· They wouldn't do it.

I'm looking at data sheets.· With my limited skills, I think I just need to try one and see if I can get it to work.· Not really the way I would like to go about it, but it's not like I'm going to go get a degree in EE to build one circuit.

I do wish I·knew more though...·
    edited 2009-04-11 04:00
    Hey, I opened up my parts box and guess what was sitting inside? Why, the 4N25 optoisolator! I am looking for the best way for you to hook it up right now.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

>Task Complete. . .·.
    >Saving Data. . . .
    >Signing OFF

·
    edited 2009-04-11 04:10
    The Circuit in the picture will work, and so far, gives the best output.--ProccessingData

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

>Task Complete. . .·.
    >Saving Data. . . .
    >Signing OFF

·
    edited 2009-04-11 04:13
    How are you quantifying output?
    edited 2009-04-11 05:26
    Ordered some regulators and optocouplers from Digi-Key per your advice Processing Data. Looking forward to giving them a whirl.
  • AmaralAmaral Posts: 176
    edited 2009-04-11 12:20
    Guys ,, this is really interesting .. but

First , The PWM command from the BS2 does not work like this, it will not generate the signal that you are expecting. read that on the manual, this command generates an analog voltage on a pin, this is not what you need !

The 2940 -5.0 is perfect capable of holding the stamp in the voltage range that you described, even with peaks of 24v witch if your car is giving that, change your voltage regulator because this is not soposed to happen.

I would suggest some tests before star buying stuff ... Plug the 12V of your turbo regulator in a 12V supply, plug the ground to the ground and with an AMPmeter (I don´t know how to write that, I´m Brasilian, but is an AMPERE meter ) is series with the same 12V supply line plug it to the PWM control line of the turbo regulator, just to see how many amps we are talking about here, because by been an signal line this should be very small current.

If it really is that small current you will be able of making all your control with an Transistor (2n2904 or 2n2222) easely. and with PULSOUT command. (by small I meant up to 500mA witch is quite high)

Now, one question, do you have a controller for this unit ? or in the specs of it, it says the refresh rate of the PWM input? that should be given as a time of a frequency.
    I concern about this because if you have a unit you can READ the PWM signal direct from it and make the BS2 generate one that´s equal. otherwise we have to go by the specs.

hope to help.

Amaral
    edited 2009-04-11 14:47
    Hi Amaral, and welcome aboard.·

The LM2940 - you're right, I could probably use it as is, others have.· Putting in a wider range regulator in front of the LM2940 is probably overkill, but seems like a cheap insurance policy for·$0.94.

The PWM command from the BS2 does not work like this, it will not generate the signal that you are expecting. read that on the manual, this command generates an analog voltage on a pin, this is not what you need !

You mentioned the Pulseout command as an alternative.· You may be right.· The problem is I don't have any documentation for the electronics of the VPOD.· It's something Detroit Deisel sells as part of a system, not as a standalone component that they issue a spec sheet for.· I have a couple of basic level·overview documents and methods·to troubleshoot the system, written for a Detroit Diesel service technician.

You mentioned If I had access to a controller I could use it to determine the proper signal to send it.· I've thought the same thing, unfortunately, I don't have access to one.· So what I'm doing here is trying to reverse engineer what this VPOD needs to see to operate, with limited information,·and I'm not an engineer.· This is one of the reasons I'm here looking for help.

Here's a link to·a version of the·tech guide.· There is a·good diagram on page·18 of the·PDF that·provides an overview of how the system works.· I've got a version on CD I was trying to post earlier, but the file is too large.

http://diesel.btc.ctc.edu/Engines/Detroit%20Diesel/EGR%20s60techguide.pdf

I need to re-read this·online version·for additional details because it is slightly different from my CD version.

In terms of trying to determine the proper signal to send,·can you think of·an approach to figuring this out that would not risk damaging the circuitry in the VPOD?· I will try your ammeter suggestion.

Post Edited (Torqued) : 4/11/2009 2:58:46 PM GMT
    edited 2009-04-12 23:24
    Found some useful information looking through this version (link)·of the tech guide:

Page 120 - shows the wiring·diagram for a 12v VPOD.

Pin· Function

1··· +12v

2··· PWM

3··· Ground

The turbo also has a speed sensor to tell the computer how fast it is spinning so you don't spin it over 100k by tightening the vanes too much at the wrong time.· The diagram shows the pins on the tach plug.

Pin···Function

1···· Turbo Speed

2···· Sensor Return (452 looks to be a common ground for all the sensors)

3···· Plugged (not used)

From page 64 - Checking VPOD Wiring

5. Using a DDR/DDDL, activate the PWM #2 (EGR Valve) and PWM #4 (VNT), and ensure:
    [noparse][[/noparse]a] Activating 11 % duty cycle: VDC = 90% of the VPOD supply voltage ± 1 volt (e.g. voltage to VPOD = 13.8V * 0.9 = 12.42V; therefore 11.42V to 13.42V at PWM is okay.)
    [noparse][[/noparse]b] Activating 90 % duty cycle: VDC = 10% of the VPOD supply voltage ± 1 volt. (e.g. voltage to VPOD = 13.8V * 0.1 = 1.38V, therefore 0.38V to 2.38V at PWM is okay.
    From page 96 - Comparing the new computer to the old.

PWM outputs: 6 vs 4 (Lo side)

Hmmm...lo side PWM outputs.· 11% duty cycle = 90% of the VPOD supply voltage and 90% duty cycle =10% of the VPOD supply voltage.· Hmmm...
    So we've got 3 wires feed the VPOD.· 1: +12v·· 2: PWM·· 3: Ground.
    Based on these clues, I'm guessing the PWM circuit is·normally high, and they are driving it low in example [noparse][[/noparse]b] 90% of the time to achieve a 10% of the supply voltage?·
    Anyone interpret this differently?

• mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
    edited 2009-04-12 23:46
    Torqued, wow lost the link to this post, your right my turbo is not air actuated the 3 pin connector is for can codes looks like thermal. Your right about the big rigs having built in air I just thought you were going to use it on something small.
    edited 2009-04-13 02:59
    mikediv said...
    Torqued, wow lost the link to this post, your right my turbo is not air actuated the 3 pin connector is for can codes looks like thermal. Your right about the big rigs having built in air I just thought you were going to use it on something small.
    The turbo is pretty large.· Put it on the scale, just under 65 pounds.
    edited 2009-04-15 00:28
    Amaral, the BASIC Stamp is a purely digital device. The PWM is a way of getting around this. It works like this:

Say you want to output a 5v high for 10 milliseconds, (each number 1, 0, is high or low for that millisecond)

you would output it with a high command, and it would look like this: (1111111111)

Then, you want to output a 2.5v signal for 10ms. You write:

PWM 0, 127, 10

It outputs this: (1010101010)

It gives 2.5v in theory because the pin is high for only half the time. So, an optoisolater should work.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

>Task Complete. . .·.
    >Saving Data. . . .
    >Signing OFF

·
  • AmaralAmaral Posts: 176
    edited 2009-04-15 03:56
    True, But the interval between a half duty cycle (50%) is the case of BS2 is 1.6us . If the device can read PWM at this frequency than yes you might get a positive reading.. ( in the range of 1.6us to 1ms ).

Amaral