Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PropBoard Complete! - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

PropBoard Complete!

Comments

• PhilldapillPhilldapill Posts: 1,283
    edited 2009-01-31 20:30
    Just FYI to everyone who ordered... The boards are in! After over 10 days of delay, I've got them and they look to be perfect. However, I'm STILL waiting on the parts which were shipped from the same supplier on the same day, so they should be here any day. Yiiiiippe! (I'm modestly excited)
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2009-02-04 03:27
    Philldapill,

How about some pics while we wait on the parts. I ordered my Propeller 40 Pin DIPs, Crystals and EEPROMs and they are on the way.
    Can't wait!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
    edited 2009-02-05 22:47
    Alright, for anyone still watching this thread for updates... I've got "most" of the parts in. Futurlec screwed a couple of things up on the parts, so instead of waiting ANOTHER 3 weeks, I'm going to just order the remainder from mouser. The parts I'm having to re-order are the power jack, (maybe) the front female header, and a couple misc. components that I somehow ran out of too soon...

Because I'm having to go through mouser, the price of the boards is going to have to go up a little bit... $12.50 per kit. $15 for a fully assembled board. I know I originally said $11 flat, but I guess I'm not the best accountant afterall. I'm still keeping this at cost for the kit, but I'm only charging $2.50 to assemble it. The kits will include all the needed parts for the board including PS/2 and RCA jacks, and will only have the sockets soldered minimally to prevent the pins from getting damaged during shipping. All that will be left to solder is a couple jumpers wires, resistors, capacitors, etc.

For you guys that went ahead and paid, to keep things simple, I'm just going to go ahead and send these to you. I'd rather eat $1.50 than mess with paypal again... I'll be sending a mass PM to all of you re-iterating all this and verifying your contact info.

Oh, and because the price jump, if anyone doesn't want to go ahead and get one of these boards, that's ok with me. Don't feel obligated if you change your mind. Thanks guys!
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2009-02-06 01:20
    @Philldapill

Welcome to the business world. Murphy's Law states "Whatever can go wrong will go wrong, and at the worst possible time, in the worst possible way"

It's just a part of doing business. In the future you should learn to make at least a little profit smilewinkgrin.gif

I'm still in for 2 boards = ($12.50 * 2) = $US25 + shipping cost to Nova Scotia Canada

We all appreciate your efforts. yeah.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Aka: CosmicBob
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-02-06 06:41
    Philldapill said...
    Futurlec screwed a couple of things up on the parts, so instead of waiting ANOTHER 3 weeks

I must have gotten lucky. I ordered my first shipment from them, and it made it here in less than a week (soCal). Plus, it came with a really cool Thai postage stamp.
    edited 2009-02-06 19:43
    Yeah, no kidding, Bob. I'm designing some propeller based, "non-propeller community" power PWM boards for sale on ebay. This whole thing was a trial run of sourcing parts, getting boards made, and seeing how well everything comes together. Judging by this run, I guess I should allocate more time and money to the costs in order to turn a real profit on this next project.

As for you, SRLM - Yeah, I've ordered some parts from futurlec before and I usually get the parts in a week... I guess chinese new years may have delayed it all...
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2009-02-07 05:48
    The quality of your effort is worth twice what you are charging[noparse]:)[/noparse]

When everything is the way you like it... please post a SEND MONEY notice.

Rich
    edited 2009-02-10 04:27
    haha, thanks Rich. This whole thing was MEANT to be fairly simple and straight forward. It's been a good learning experience, if not anything else.

By the way, just FYI, all the boards are ready to go. Whenever you guys want to go ahead and pay is fine with me. These will ship USPS First Class Mail.
    edited 2009-02-10 16:05
    ALLLLLLLRight[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Check is in the mail... I made it out before the price change ... so just divide by the price of the boards... allow for the price of the files and we are in business[noparse]:)[/noparse] I don't want anything for free and if you send too many boards, I'll sue.

Rich
    edited 2009-02-10 16:05
    ALLLLLLLRight[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Check is in the mail... I made it out before the price change ... so just divide by the price of the boards... allow for the price of the files and we are in business[noparse]:)[/noparse] I don't want anything for free and if you send too many boards, I'll sue.

Rich
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2009-02-10 16:10
    Is the offer still open for a mostly "blank" board? I've got most of the stuff to populate it.

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Check out: Protoboard Introduction , Propeller Cookbook 1.4 & Software Index
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS
    edited 2009-02-10 17:17
    OBC...

I wasn't trying to tie up the market[noparse]:)[/noparse] My check is in the mail and I absolutely need 4 and will take what you guys don't want[noparse]:)[/noparse]
    If that means I get 4 blank boards, I'm happy.

And if it means Philldapill makes a little money, I'm even happier.

Rich
    edited 2009-02-11 04:15
    OBC, sure, I can send a mostly blank board... I've already soldered the regulators onto all the boards, however. These regulators are kind of special because they are DPAK, and the left pin is input, right pin output, tab ground. You can try to find some that fit that specification, but like I said... already soldered. Most of the cost of the boards are in the PCB itself and shipping. The parts come to about $4 total. So, without the parts, how's $8.50 sound?(that's with the regulators and bypass caps)
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2009-02-11 04:24
    Yes, having the harder-to-locate parts already on the board is a plus.
    Please PM me an address and final total if you see I really need other parts.
    (for instance, the resistors for the video DAC would be helpful too!)
    and I'll send you a check.

Thanks!
    Jeff

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Check out: Protoboard Introduction , Propeller Cookbook 1.4 & Software Index
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card connected? - PropDOS
  • ForrestForrest Posts: 1,341
    edited 2009-02-20 00:31
    How about an update - are you shipping the boards yet?
  • uxoriousuxorious Posts: 126
    edited 2009-02-20 00:38
    I've been in contract Electronics Manufacturing for 9 years and meeting a deadline almost always comes down to when material shows up from a supplier.

Philldapill, congrats on the overall process and marketable product.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ~~ dRu ~~
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2009-02-21 12:44
    @Philldapill

I'm still waiting to for a total to send you via paypal.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Aka: CosmicBob
  • Mike HuseltonMike Huselton Posts: 746
    edited 2009-02-23 22:33
    @Philldapill ,

I want to send you money for two fully populated boards. Are you in a position to do this?
    Paypal, check, gold - whatever works.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    JMH
    edited 2009-02-23 23:03
    Bob/James,
    Guys, I'm not sure if I'll have any boards left... This whole thing hasn't gone the way I had planned... My Female headers didn't come in from futurlec, so I tried ordering them from mouser and a couple of other places, but they turn out to be so crazy expensive, that I had to end up just ordering "samples" from a company, just to get some on their way. i.e., since futurlec didn't send any, and has yet to return my money for them, AND mouser's prices would make me lose money on it....

I don't know where I'm going with this... I'm super stressed right now with school, THIS, relationship issues, and about 100 other things. I'd be more than happy to send you a couple once I get it sorted out... I just don't know when that will be. If I have some extra, I'll be sure to give you guys a holler and let you know.
    edited 2009-02-24 00:10
    I warned you about that woman[noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2009-02-24 04:04
    hahahaha, well, relationship issues... in a good way. [noparse]:D[/noparse]
  • RizThomasRizThomas Posts: 24
    edited 2009-03-03 07:40
    Hi

Any idea as to when we can expect the boards (even just the board will be ok).

Rizthomas
    edited 2009-03-03 09:11
    I'm eagerly checking my mailbox!
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2009-03-03 13:36
    Philldapill said...
    For designing them, I used EAGLE. Haven't really tried others except ExpressPCB, which I dislike immensely.

I'm just curious, what did you not like about expressPCB? I used them recently to build my first PCB ever (a mini board) and I was happy how it turned out. But I've been thinking of building larger boards using them and I was wondering what sort of experiences others have had.

thanks,
    Mark
    edited 2009-03-04 18:01
    Philldapill,

Please give us an update - have you started shipping the kits yet? It's been exactly 1 month since you requested the funds be sent to you.

If you're still having problems sourcing the female headers, then go ahead and ship my kit without them - I've got some. Thanks

Forrest
    edited 2009-03-04 22:16
    Guys, I know I've said it before, but I am soooooooo sorry about the huge delays and not getting back to you. The boards are done, and most have shipped. A couple of people's boards have not because the female headers, and non-payment as of right now. Everyone that has replied on here has had theirs shipped. They should be there very soon. Forrest, I'll go ahead and ship yours if you don't want the headers. Thanks again guys for being incredibly patient. I've been trying to balance School, THIS, and a rocky relationship lately... Sorry that things have been put on the back burner, but things are moving now.
    edited 2009-03-05 00:11
    OK, thanks smile.gif
    edited 2009-03-08 01:53
    I got mine today. Looks good, although I do have a question. Can you provide a circuit diagram? It's a very compact board somewhat difficult to follow the traces.
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2009-03-08 03:22
    Got mine to - It looks good and is very compact.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
    edited 2009-03-08 03:33
    Great! I'm attaching a few photos of the finished boards, and the actual schematic diagram for them. If you have any questions, be sure to let me know!
    1536 x 1183 - 474K