Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp 1 Problem - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp 1 Problem

2»

Comments

• PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2008-12-12 17:36
    1Male goes to 1Female, 2M goes to 2F, 3M goes to 3F, 4M goes to 4F, 5M goes to 5F, 6M goes to 6F, 7M goes to 7F, 8M goes to 8F, 9M goes to 9F.

How·difficult is that?

Post Edit -- pic attached

Post Edited (PJ Allen) : 12/12/2008 6:31:16 PM GMT
    479 x 233 - 19K
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,256
    edited 2008-12-12 18:25
    My students often forget their serial cables. On some laptops (depending on port access and configuration), they can plug their Homework and Project boards directly into the serial port (no cable at all) after removing the two threaded couplers from the port on the boards. Works perfectly, this may work for you if your cable is suspect.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ·"If you build it, they will come."
  • thanasis_leothanasis_leo Posts: 23
    edited 2008-12-13 09:36
    PJ Allen said...
    1Male goes to 1Female, 2M goes to 2F, 3M goes to 3F, 4M goes to 4F, 5M goes to 5F, 6M goes to 6F, 7M goes to 7F, 8M goes to 8F, 9M goes to 9F.

How difficult is that?

Post Edit -- pic attached

And this modification?

This is how the book says to connect the BS1 module to the PC.
    761 x 273 - 28K
    edited 2008-12-13 12:56
    Have a good time with that.

Post Edit -- from page 27 of the 2.2 manual:

"We suggest using a Parallax development board and cable for programming BASIC stamp modules.· When these items are not available, you may may create your own board by duplicating the following diagrams with your own circuits and cables.

"Be very careful to follow these diagrams closely; it is quite common for programming problems with the BASIC Stamp to be a result of a poorly made custom cable or programming connections on your applications board.

"It is vital that you check your connections with a meter and verify the pin numbering to avoid problems like this."

You stated that you purchased the Starter Kit which includes the serial programming cable.· No modification of it is necessary, none should be made, and the manual does not instruct you to "modify" it.· If you have modified it then un-modify it.

Post Edited (PJ Allen) : 12/13/2008 1:27:43 PM GMT
    edited 2008-12-13 15:38
    Ok, because the discussion has been confused ,let's start from the beginning .

How will I program my BS1 module ?

I have the Super Carrier , the BS1 module and the BS1 Serial Adapter.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-12-13 15:56
    1) You plug the BS1 into the Super Carrier Board's BS1 socket, making sure it's oriented properly

2) You plug the BS1 Serial Adapter into its 3 pin connector making sure the marks line up.

3) You plug a standard "through" serial cable (like the one that came with the starter kit) from the BS1 Serial Adapter to a PC Serial Port

4) Download a copy of the Stamp Editor from Parallax (here: www.parallax.com/tabid/441/Default.aspx) and install it on your PC

5) You plug a power source (6-9V typically) into your Super Carrier Board. If it's a battery, make sure that it's not exhausted.

6) Turn the power switch on

7) Download a program to the BS1 using the Stamp Editor

Notes: If your PC only has USB ports, you must have a compatible USB to Serial Adapter. Most FTDI chip based adapters will work and the Keyspan High Speed Serial Adapter will work. You must have the manufacturer's USB driver installed. The default Windows driver will not work.
    edited 2008-12-13 16:34
    Ok. I tried that on two PCs and I had the same results. Nothing at all.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!!

Why??????????

I did exactly what you told me.
    edited 2008-12-13 16:47
    There's something in that list that you think you're doing, but, for some reason, you're not actually doing it.

There's an art to debugging, whether hardware or software. It involves pretending that you're someone else who doesn't know what you've done or know how to do, someone who reads instructions and manuals as if they had not seen them before, then goes about following the instructions step by step, not skipping anything or making assumptions.

There's always the possibility that something's broken. Parallax does test stuff. Call or e-mail Parallax Technical Support on Monday.
    edited 2008-12-13 16:54
    Do I have to change the Port Settings from the Windows?
    418 x 463 - 30K
    edited 2008-12-13 17:08
    The Stamp Editor will change these settings to what it needs. The Port Settings are the default values.
    edited 2008-12-13 17:12
    PRESS ON

Nothing takes the place of persistence. Talent will not.

Nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not.

Unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not.

The world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent.

Sounds like you have a real serial port, not a USB-serial adapter. That's good, it eliminates that variable since not all adapters work. You can check your cable connectors pin-for-pin per PJ's helpful posts and verify that. Hardware-wise, that leaves your computer's serial port, your serial adapter, and your Stamp as suspects.

Sounds like you're in Europe somewhere. Can you borrow another stamp 1, stamp 2, or serial adapter from anyone to test? If you had a stamp 2, you can connect with just your serial cable and bypass the serial adapter.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-12-13 17:42
    I am from Greece.

Well, I will send an e-mail to my professor who suggested me to buy the BS1 in order to test it and see if it is really defective .
    edited 2008-12-14 19:50
    Leo: Kalimera or kalispera, depending on your time of day. Sorry to hear you're having difficulties with your BS1-IC. Sounds like you still have an indeterminate problem despite some replies from the very best people here in the forum. Obviously, your location in Greece is hampering you from obtaining parts or service locally. Hopefully your professor can assist.

If not, I have one last OLD-SCHOOL solution that may work for you just to see if your Stamp is working. Go back in time 10 years and use the DOS-based stamp editor which programs directly through the parallel port.·IF your computer has a working parallel port and floppy disk drive (newer ones don't), IF you can get a connector for it to make a simple 3-wire cable per http://www.qsl.net/kf4haz/cables/stamps/· and IF you can run true·MS-DOS on your computer (not the Windows DOS prompt/emulator). If this appeals to you, you also need a copy of the Stamp1 DOS software. PM me and I can assist.

The DOS-based editor does not have all of the latest PBasic commands, but it works, and would bypass any problems with your Windows editor & setup, serial cable, and serial adapter.

erco

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-12-14 21:44
    Hello again. Now its 23:50 ,so Kalispera is the correct.
    My name is thanasis . Leo it derives from Leopard ( Leopard 1A5 )

I dont have a parallel wire so the easiest way to test the BS1 is to get it to my professor.

When I will have any news I will inform you.
    edited 2008-12-16 00:49
    Hello again .

Because my Professor will be abroad this week I would like to test the last solution, the Dos-solution.

I dont have a PC running in DOS.
    How will I do this?
    edited 2009-01-13 10:50
    Hello Again.

Finally I met my professor and we tested my BS1 module.
    And do you know what was the problem?
    That I was using a 9 VAC power supply!!!
    AAAAAAAA!!!!

Thanks, to anyone who tried to solve my problem.
    See you later,when I'll get stuck on my next problem.
    edited 2009-01-13 13:37
    · shakehead.gif
    At the start, thanasis_leo stated:

I have bought a Basic Stamp 1 Starter Kit.

4.I connected the motherboard with a 9 Volt battery.

Wonder when the battery got swapped for the 9vac supply.· rolleyes.gif
    edited 2009-01-13 14:13
    My mistake.

I have never used a 9 V battery.
    It was a 9 V power supply.

Sorry...
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2009-01-13 15:04
    thanasis_leo,

You did the right thing by (a) following up with the forums and thanking people; and (b) fessing up to the mistake regarding the 9V power supply.

It's important to the people here who answer questions to feel their time has been wisely spent. It's always amazing to me how much qualified assistance we can get for free on forums.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.