Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Mac/Linux/Windows IDE - Ver 0.19.3 "Now with new improved PropBasic" release - Page 47 — Parallax Forums

Mac/Linux/Windows IDE - Ver 0.19.3 "Now with new improved PropBasic" release

Comments

• BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2010-06-17 10:33
    Baggers said...
    Brad, does the PC version allow dropping files onto the editor, to open them? as I'm getting crashes dropping pbas files onto it, or spin files, to open files I have to go through the menus, or click the file list box on the left.

Odd. I don't know about the PC (I assume Windows) version as I don't really use it. I don't think I ever did drop-on-editor to open, just drop on dock icon and drop on shortcut. I'll get OSX fired up and try go figure out what is going on.
    Baggers said...

PS, any news on the Ctrl-TAB to jump to next file, and Shift-Ctrl-TAB to jump to previous file? [noparse]:D[/noparse]

It's done (Neat feature, I like it a lot). Just trying to get to the bottom of the load problems with PL2303 on the Mac and a few other niggles before I drop a new build. With not having the Mac for a month or so, it's put me a bit behind.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "I mean, if I went around sayin' I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me they'd put me away!"
    edited 2010-06-17 10:43
    slcott said...
    can you add support for scrolling while using the find tool (ctrl-f)? i would find this useful.

Just FYI, I'm working on this one but I seem to be bumping up against a stay-on-top problem with one of the widget sets. It might take a bit longer than I thought.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    "I mean, if I went around sayin' I was an emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me they'd put me away!"
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2010-06-17 10:57
    Yeah, I use PC for windows based machines, sad I know. lol.

Glad the Ctrl-TAB is done, as your right, it is a cool feature, I didn't realise how much I used it until I didn't have it lol. like the left thumb button for navigate back in IE, when I got my Mac that was the first thing I missed, and Alt-TAB to swap through windows, not just swap through apps.

Look forward to the next update.
    Thanks again for making such a fantastic app, and integrating PropBASIC too, another fantastic app. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    http://www.propgfx.co.uk/forum/·home of the PropGFX Lite

·
    edited 2010-06-17 14:11
    Baggers said...
    and integrating PropBASIC too, another fantastic app. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

You can thank Bean for that one. My main criteria for bst and anything it works with is it *must* support at a minimum, Linux, OSX and Win32. Bean was quite willing to let me make some local mods to PropBASIC to ensure it worked on OSX and Linux, and he feeds me the source to compile and package for those. Things are moving along nicely for a port to PPC-Linux and ARM-linux in the not to distant future also.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2010-06-17 14:20
    sweet [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2010-06-18 01:38
    I'm sure it's been brought up before but the Prop Tool has a nice feature which makes indentation more visible. I know it doesn't affect functionality but there are a number of times where my eyes have not caught the indentation correctly. It's more of a problem when I want code to line back up again outside of the loop but also keep it lined up. What might actually be better than this is to have the equivalent of a "snap grid" for indentation so that if you try to start a line off the grid it will simply snap back to the closest which is probably what you want.

Another "suggestion" (I know you love suggestions) is once again nothing to do with basic functionality but I find that there are a number of times I would like to have more than one terminal window open. Usually what I do in Linux is open the second terminal using GtkTerm which does the job but I find that the BST terminal is a bit easier to use and handles USB port disconnections better. Is there a possibility of having more than one BST terminal available then?

Thanks a million Brad.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    *Peter*
    edited 2010-06-18 02:16
    Peter Jakacki said...
    I'm sure it's been brought up before but the Prop Tool has a nice feature which makes indentation more visible. I know it doesn't affect functionality but there are a number of times where my eyes have not caught the indentation correctly. It's more of a problem when I want code to line back up again outside of the loop but also keep it lined up. What might actually be better than this is to have the equivalent of a "snap grid" for indentation so that if you try to start a line off the grid it will simply snap back to the closest which is probably what you want.

Yeah the Prop tool block markers are pretty commonly asked for. It's just not something I've had the motivation to fix as I don't use them myself. It is on the list though, but it's a pretty complex and intrusive change to the syntax highlighter required to make it happen (and the syntax highlighter is *scary* code)

Peter Jakacki said...

Another "suggestion" (I know you love suggestions) is once again nothing to do with basic functionality but I find that there are a number of times I would like to have more than one terminal window open. Usually what I do in Linux is open the second terminal using GtkTerm which does the job but I find that the BST terminal is a bit easier to use and handles USB port disconnections better. Is there a possibility of having more than one BST terminal available then?

For about 4 months now I've been in the middle of a complete rewrite of the terminal (to support PST and VT100 plugins also). Part of that is breaking it up to enable multiple terminals, so yes that one is not that far in the distance.

I just need to make some time to get around to this stuff I guess.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2010-06-18 02:46
    Cool, I could do with VT100 compatibility for sure but for the indentation maybe the snap indent might be very easy to implement as it only has to deal with pub/pri functions and text as it is entered character by character.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    *Peter*
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2010-06-19 06:15
    Brad,

I have a large application where I'm trying to use a "properties.spin" file to allow the user to define things like Uart pins and baud rate. I just noticed a message like this today: "blah.spin Object position is negative! - This binary will not work. Report this please" If I take out the "properties.spin" file, the message goes away. Also I can compile it with an older version of BSTC either way.

con
      _clkmode = hw#_clkmode
      _xinfreq = hw#_xinfreq

obj
      hw : "properties"             ' contains user preferences

I'll zip you a package in email if you like.

Thanks,
    --Steve

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Pages: Propeller JVM
    edited 2010-06-19 06:23
    jazzed said...
    Brad,

I have a large application where I'm trying to use a "properties.spin" file to allow the user to define things like Uart pins and baud rate. I just noticed a message like this today: "blah.spin Object position is negative! - This binary will not work. Report this please" If I take out the "properties.spin" file, the message goes away. Also I can compile it with an older version of BSTC either way.

con
      _clkmode = hw#_clkmode
      _xinfreq = hw#_xinfreq

obj
      hw : "properties"             ' contains user preferences

I'll zip you a package in email if you like.

No need. It's a bug I fixed a while back in the unused object/method removal. I need to get off my backside and get this last bug fixed so I can get the next snapshot out. Sorry, with a 6 month old puppy in the house, a wedding to plan and outlaws to deal with, my electronics stuff moved to the shed and my test gear packed in boxes, my motivation to get right back into it has been lacking of late. I will get there..

The advantage of unused object removal is of course you can use a Properties.spin with lots of constants, a dummy method or two and none of it will wind up taking up space in the resulting code.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2010-06-19 09:29
    Don't worry Brad, we all know how real life gets in the way of prop fun time [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    Good luck with the puppy, wedding, and outlaws lol

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

·
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2010-06-22 15:11
    I use the MacOS version of BST. I normally use a 2nd display and drag the BST source window to the 2nd display. It normally works very nicely and, when I restart BST, it remembers to open the window in the 2nd display. I recently disconnected the display and, when I opened BST, it looks like it still tries to open the source window in the 2nd display which isn't there. Other applications check the stored window size and position when opening after startup and change back to the default window position and size if the stored window size and position isn't valid. I had to reconnect the 2nd display and drag the main source window back to the main display. I suppose I could have deleted the preferences file to get back to normal.
    edited 2010-06-23 02:09
    Mike Green said...
    I use the MacOS version of BST. I normally use a 2nd display and drag the BST source window to the 2nd display. It normally works very nicely and, when I restart BST, it remembers to open the window in the 2nd display. I recently disconnected the display and, when I opened BST, it looks like it still tries to open the source window in the 2nd display which isn't there. Other applications check the stored window size and position when opening after startup and change back to the default window position and size if the stored window size and position isn't valid. I had to reconnect the 2nd display and drag the main source window back to the main display. I suppose I could have deleted the preferences file to get back to normal.

Ugly as it sounds, if you edit the preferences file with a text editor and just delete the Geometry= .. line it will reset just that preference.

brad@bklaptop2:~$ grep Geometry /home/brad/.bst.ini
    Geometry=25,0,689,1356,310,182,121
    FontGeometry=226,113,755,370

I *think* my G4 has a dual head card in it (it's in the shed). I'll do some experimenting.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • TimmooreTimmoore Posts: 1,031
    edited 2010-06-26 17:36
    Brad, I am bumping into a problem with @@@. I have a statement that is working fine in 1 file but not in another.
    I am using bst 0.19.4-pre12.

I have several uses of a statement same or similar to

mov     lmm_pc,#@@@lmm_sqr

which works in lmm_spin_tim.spin but not in hmc5843pObjectlmm.spin. I get a compiler error and I can't see the difference betwee the uses.

I am missing something?

I worked out the problem - thanks

Post Edited (Timmoore) : 6/26/2010 5:46:50 PM GMT
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2010-06-27 01:52
    Tim: The mov is using a 9bit immediate operand and I bet your address > 9bits.
    So you need...
    mov lmm_pc,atlmm_sqr
    atlmm_sqr long @@@lmm_sqr

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Links to other interesting threads:

· Home of the MultiBladeProps: TriBlade,·RamBlade,·SixBlade, website
    · Single Board Computer:·3 Propeller ICs·and a·TriBladeProp board (ZiCog Z80 Emulator)
    · Prop Tools under Development or Completed (Index)
    · Emulators: CPUs Z80 etc; Micros Altair etc;· Terminals·VT100 etc; (Index) ZiCog (Z80) , MoCog (6809)·
    · Prop OS: SphinxOS·, PropDos , PropCmd··· Search the Propeller forums·(uses advanced Google search)
    My cruising website is: ·www.bluemagic.biz·· MultiBlade Props: www.cluso.bluemagic.biz
  • TimmooreTimmoore Posts: 1,031
    edited 2010-06-27 02:05
    Cluso99, That was the problem, not thinking clearly [noparse]:)[/noparse] but your solution doesn't work [noparse]:([/noparse] for a lmm. The problem is atlmm_sqr is not in the lmm cogs memory, so you need the hub address to get to it so you have the same problem that you were trying to solve.
    Makes inline pasm in other objects a bit harder, once your are out of the first object, hub addresses tend to be > 1FF so you need to put stuff in variables but you can't access them from the lmm because its not in the cogs memory and to get it from the cog you need the hub address but the hub address can't be an immediate. You have to write inline pasm very carefully.
  • heaterheater Posts: 3,370
    edited 2010-07-02 11:05
    An annoying problem has surfaced here. Perhaps we have discussed it before I don't remember.

I have to do most of my Prop work in a room that contains a refrigerator. Every time that thing starts or stops (or both) it resets my TriBlade Prop and buggers up the USB serial connection. This results in BST popping up "Serial port lost. Bad things have happened". Plus often a billion notifications from the kernel to KDE which I guess is nothing to do with BST.

At that point there is nothing to do but hit OK which kills BST and we have to start again on a new USB port number.

This drives me nuts as it happens every half an hour or so. I've tried all kinds of different power supplies for the TriBlade and my home brew demo board before it but just can't get rid of this glitch. I have been powering the Prop from rechargeable batteries to avid this problem for a while now, which only slightly less annoying as I have to charge them every day.

Is it really so that BST has to die when the port is lost? Can it not just continue and let me scan for a new one when required?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    For me, the past is not over yet.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2010-07-02 13:10
    Have you tried a filter on both the fridge and the other power lines? Do you have a different power circuit back to the main board - this can often help.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Links to other interesting threads:

· Home of the MultiBladeProps: TriBlade,·RamBlade,·SixBlade, website
    · Single Board Computer:·3 Propeller ICs·and a·TriBladeProp board (ZiCog Z80 Emulator)
    · Prop Tools under Development or Completed (Index)
    · Emulators: CPUs Z80 etc; Micros Altair etc;· Terminals·VT100 etc; (Index) ZiCog (Z80) , MoCog (6809)·
    · Prop OS: SphinxOS·, PropDos , PropCmd··· Search the Propeller forums·(uses advanced Google search)
    My cruising website is: ·www.bluemagic.biz·· MultiBlade Props: www.cluso.bluemagic.biz
    edited 2010-07-02 14:25
    The wiring in this apartment is pretty ancient. Many sockets don't even have ground connections would you believe. I'm not allowed to touch it but it may looks like we are getting rewired in the autumn. Of course the fridge, PC, Prop etc are all connected to the same line which is not even a ring!

I was just contemplating borrowing a selection of filters and UPSs from our office and see if anything helps.

Thinking about it the UPS would be great. The Prop will run for days on that battery with no mains connection at all[noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2010-07-02 15:15
    heater said...

At that point there is nothing to do but hit OK which kills BST and we have to start again on a new USB port number.

That's really odd. It's not supposed to do that. The "Bad things have happened, serial port lost" happens when the kernel pulls the port out from under bst. Nothing I can do about that. bst is supposed to let go of the port at that point, but obviously it's not. I can at least reproduce that by pulling plugs out at inconvenient times, so I'll do what i can to get it fixed.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2010-07-11 20:35
    A little BST bug:

The following compiles without error:

DAT           org 0
    enter
                  clkset
                  cogid
                  coginit
                  cogstop
                  lockclr
                  locknew
                  lockret
                  lockset

Seems any HUBOP needs no operands[noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,237
    edited 2010-07-12 02:12
    BradC said...
    heater said...

That's really odd. It's not supposed to do that. The "Bad things have happened, serial port lost" happens when the kernel pulls the port out from under bst. Nothing I can do about that. bst is supposed to let go of the port at that point, but obviously it's not. I can at least reproduce that by pulling plugs out at inconvenient times, so I'll do what i can to get it fixed.

It's no bug. Heater is effectively saying the kernel has indeed pulled the comport.

What Heater is wanting is for BST to reopen the comport without having to close the working project.

Why the kernel is doing that is a matter of concern for Heater though. There's clearly some serious electron agitation going on.
    edited 2010-07-12 02:54
    evanh said...
    BradC said...
    heater said...

It's no bug. Heater is effectively saying the kernel has indeed pulled the comport.

What Heater is wanting is for BST to reopen the comport without having to close the working project.

The "bug" (as such) is that bst is not letting the port go when the kernel pulls the rug out. I've been working on it sporadically, but it's hard to properly close a device file when the device file no longer exists and the handle is invalid. When the port is re-insterted, as the kernel still holds a reference to ttyUSB0, udev creates it as ttyUSB1. When bst opens ttyUSB1 it implicitly loses the reference to ttyUSB0, and so next time it happens it moves back to ttyUSB0. What I need to do is try and ensure that bst instantly lets go of ttyUSB0 when the excrement hits the rotary air distribution device to try and stop this from happening. It happens to me too when I (more often than not) knock out a USB cable.

@heater, cheers for those issues. I'll have a look at the compiler to see why it's not checking for valid parameters.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Andrey DemenevAndrey Demenev Posts: 377
    edited 2010-08-01 12:08
    BST 0.19.3, Linux debian 2.6.30-2-686 #1 SMP Sat Sep 26 01:16:22 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

After pressing F10, when loading is finished, the editor goes out of focus. It does not receive keypresses, and pressing Ctrl-Home or Ctrl-End gives a message box: Unknown user keypress
    edited 2010-08-01 12:34
    Andrey Demenev said...
    BST 0.19.3, Linux debian 2.6.30-2-686 #1 SMP Sat Sep 26 01:16:22 UTC 2009 i686 GNU/Linux

After pressing F10, when loading is finished, the editor goes out of focus. It does not receive keypresses, and pressing Ctrl-Home or Ctrl-End gives a message box: Unknown user keypress

Ta, I'll take a look at it.
    To be honest, I've been having a pig of a time with focus on gtk2, but I'll keep trying to figure out what it is I'm doing wrong.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Dr_AculaDr_Acula Posts: 5,484
    edited 2010-08-01 12:51
    I guess most posts here are going to be about problems, so I'd just like to post a quick comment to say that every day I use BST, often for many hours at a time, and every day it performs flawlessly with no problems at all. I am so happy with this program! Thanks:=Thanks+1

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    www.smarthome.viviti.com/propeller
    edited 2010-08-01 13:28
    Dr_Acula said...
    I guess most posts here are going to be about problems, so I'd just like to post a quick comment to say that every day I use BST, often for many hours at a time, and every day it performs flawlessly with no problems at all. I am so happy with this program! Thanks:=Thanks+1

Ta, Dr A. I kinda feel guilty as I've a queue of bugs that I really need to get to and have had little time to get to them. Glad it's working for you [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Brian RileyBrian Riley Posts: 626
    edited 2010-08-01 17:17
    Dr_Acula said...

Me too ... what he said ... on my iMac and an old MacBook .. +1 and +1

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    cheers ... brian riley, n1bq, underhill center, vermont
    The Shoppe at Wulfden
    www.wulfden.org/TheShoppe/
    www.wulfden.org/TheShoppe/prop/ - Propeller Products
    www.wulfden.org/TheShoppe/k107/ - Serial LCD Display Gear
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2010-08-01 18:44
    BradC said...
    I kinda feel guilty as I've a queue of bugs that I really need to get to and have had little time to get to them. Glad it's working for you [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    I couldn't be more pleased with BSTC. There are always minor bugs or just little annoyances in any program. Since I've switched to Linux almost entirely, BST/BSTC has been getting lots of exercise here in my office. My favorite features are fast download and listings. I've started using BSTC, VI, and microcom more these days though and it's wonderful to have that option.

Thanks for all your efforts Brad!

Cheers,
    --Steve

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Pages: Propeller JVM
    edited 2010-08-01 20:08
    Outside of work BST must be the second most used application in my life after Firefox.

This has been a Linux only household since 1997. I'm so happy that BradC helped to keep it that way.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔