Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
One more Software Question, Pretty Please. — Parallax Forums

One more Software Question, Pretty Please.

MovieMakerMovieMaker Posts: 502
edited 2008-09-10 13:32 in Propeller 1
OK, here is what I want to do. Right now, I am loading up the BoebotBASIC Interpreter·program from the hard drive. I am placing it in EEprom. From there, I take the terminal and l hook it up. I load "Boebot.bas" the roaming program from the SD card (2Gig).· Then I have to say "RUN". This all has to be attached to the boebot. I want to load it into the SDcard and run it by resetting it or something.·

I have been told that I expect all the answers without working for it. I truely have spent countless hours and truely have did my wheel spinning. But, it just doesn't come to me easy.··

If you don't want to share the information that you worked hours to learn, please point me in the right direction so I can look it up and find it.

I like the way Mike always says where the information is. I go back and sure enough, it was there, just invisible to me.

I have found ProDos. Is this my answer?·

I really do NOT take you all for granted.· There are other subjects that I know quite a bit about. And I have shared the information with many other people. Students,mostly. I find that when they ask me questions , it helps me to learn and grow more.· I am the one who benifited from sharing it with other people.·· I know that most of your time is very valuable , and I apreciate that.

I am a very curious person by nature. But, I will do my best to hold it back until I have exaused every avenue that I have in my understanding. I am almost to the end of my project anyway.· All I have left to do is software to program the robot to do certain things.· I thank you guys for your previous help.· I have a Deep Respect for you all.

It was neat to see where everyone came from.· You guys are scattered out all over the world. When we think about it, it is a very small world.· I would like for the whole world to live in peace and love each other.

I think personally that everyone from every country are very nice people. It is usually the governments that cause friction between nations. I believe we should be racing to cure cancer or something instead of trying to kill each other. But, that is my humble opinion.

I guess I will give up off my soapbox.

·

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-09-08 02:19
    As I have said before, you need to read the documentation for FemtoBasic / BoeBotBasic. There is a description of how to get BoeBotBasic to automatically run a program either SAVEd to EEPROM or stored on an SD card. It's on the first page.
  • MovieMakerMovieMaker Posts: 502
    edited 2008-09-08 02:44
    Thank You, Mike.
    edited 2008-09-08 03:44
    I found it. I did it. The robot indeed loads up the program and runs it. But, only when I am hooked to the usb port to the computer. I will have to read more. It trys, but doesn't get past the checking PING and IR. It loads up boebot.bas. It kindof restarts itself over and over. I may have to remove some lines of code when it wants to print back to the screen. Another situation that I am having is when I compile short programs they run fine. But, when I compile large programs, ie; boebotbasic, they don't run very well. It is just something that I have to work on. But, you have gotten me in the right direction.

Thanks.
    edited 2008-09-08 03:55
    There is a known problem with some Propeller Protoboards when you leave the PropPlug in place, but don't connect the USB cable to the computer. The easiest solution is to unplug the PropPlug when you unplug the USB cable. That fixes it.
    edited 2008-09-08 04:10
    I was talking about unplugging the usb cable that was connect from the computer to the boebot. And, I meant unplugging it from the robot side. And just operating off of batteries.
    edited 2008-09-08 04:50
    Do you have the USB Protoboard with the built-in USB interface or the Protoboard designed to be used with a PropPlug?
    edited 2008-09-08 11:58
    I have the usb protoboard with built in design.
    edited 2008-09-08 12:00
    when I run the boebot.bas, I guess it needs to have the usb port talk to the computer to give it the printout before it goes further.
  • Mike HuseltonMike Huselton Posts: 746
    edited 2008-09-08 13:18
    Do you have Skype?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    JMH - Electronics: Engineer - Programming: Professional
    edited 2008-09-08 15:22
    BoeBotBasic doesn't care whether there's a USB connection present or not. It transmits blindly. If it automatically executes a Basic program, it mostly ignores the USB receive end of things as well. The problem is that the Propeller is trying to transmit data to the USB chip which has no power (because there's no USB connection). The transmission supplies a little bit of power that "leaks" through the chip and sometimes provides enough power that it can cause a reset to the Propeller. If you take out your PRINT statements, that may be enough.
    edited 2008-09-08 21:53
    I do not have skype
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2008-09-08 23:58
    Re; skype

It's free and works well . He can call you for free PC to PC.

www.skype.com/

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Aka: CosmicBob
    edited 2008-09-09 00:10
    What I have now is: I disconnected the ac adapter and put it straight to the battery. When I loaded the program to the SD and turned the machine on. It just sits there. But, If I hook up the usb cable going to the computer it all works fine. It has something to do with the usb cable going to the computer. I put REMark commands in front of all of the PRINT statements. So, it should not have to go there. I am going back to examine the code. I am happy, it is working until it gets to the end of the usb cable and it tries to pull it and I lift it up in my hand at that point. I changed the batteries to fresh ones just in case that was the problem.

Also, right now, I am waiting on a second IRemitter to come it. I have at 45 degree angles the IRDetectors. They are tied together to one Port through a 1k resistor. I have only ONE emitter and it is kinda floating on the top of the wires pending I want to connect it up to the other emitter. Since this program is already compiled , it is expecting only one IR device, so I have twin ones tied together and going to only two pins for four devices. Seems to work, except this usb cable. But, I will figure it out.
    edited 2008-09-09 00:23
    Do not tie two IR detectors together that way. It won't hurt anything, but it may not work properly. The first IR detector that detects something will trigger the IRZONE statement so you won't be able to see further distances (the strongest IR signal will override a weaker one. You can drive two IR emitters (each with its own 100 Ohm resistor) with one I/O pin. I do that on my Propeller BoeBot, but I have only one IR detector (on the PING bracket).

Did you read my previous message explaining this USB thing?· You really need to read this stuff.· If you don't understand it, ask "what do you mean by ...", don't just skip over it.· Take a couple of deep breaths, slow down, reread stuff until you understand it (or get help with it), take some more slow breaths, etc.

It's possible to solder a diode between the USB power line and the +5V regulator so the FTDI chip is always powered. That's one fix. If you have a spare USB cable, you can connect it (the +5V power wire) to the +5V regulated supply on the Protoboard. You don't need the diode if you use a USB cable because you can't plug in a real USB cable at the same time. There was some other fix using another wiring change around the FTDI chip, but I don't remember exactly what that was. You can call the Parallax support line, explain the situation, and see what they suggest.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 9/9/2008 12:30:11 AM GMT
    edited 2008-09-09 00:27
    what kind of diode. Like a 1n914? Or do you mean zener diode? Ok, I will call parallax.

As always, Thanks!
    edited 2008-09-09 00:30
    Look up the pinouts for a USB cable.· You can always go to the Wikipedia for pictures.· Do a websearch for "wiki USB" or "wiki miniUSB cable" and I'm sure you'll find something.· The USB Protoboard documentation has a schematic with labels for the USB socket pins.· There's a ground, +5V, +USB and -USB.

You asked about diodes.· You answer ... What kind of diode is a 1N914?· What's a Zener diode?· What are they used for?

You can find out all sorts of things in the Wikipedia.· You can look up diodes and transistors through vendors like Jameco and DigiKey.· They have links on their web catalog pages to the datasheets for the devices.· That way you avoid wasting time with the datasheet databases that try to get you to pay to read their copies of the datasheet when you can get them for free from the manufacturer or distributor.

Post Edited (Mike Green) : 9/9/2008 12:36:47 AM GMT
    edited 2008-09-09 00:35
    It was the diode between the usb power and the 5volt reg. But, I could also use the usb cable and not worry about the diode. Remember, I am a Technician, but not even a pimple on an Engineer's Posterior.
    edited 2008-09-09 00:41
    You didn't answer my question.
    edited 2008-09-09 00:53
    It's possible to solder a <<<diode >>>between the USB power line and the +5V regulator so the FTDI chip is always powered. That's one fix. If you have a spare USB cable, you can connect it (the +5V power wire) to the +5V regulated supply on the Protoboard. You don't need the diode if you use a USB cable because you can't plug in a real USB cable at the same time. There was some other fix using another wiring change around the FTDI chip, but I don't remember exactly what that was. You can call the Parallax support line, explain the situation, and see what they suggest.

I was refering to the diode above mentioned.
    edited 2008-09-09 00:56
    Oh, I see what you are saying. I was asking was this diode you just talked about a zener or a 1n914. I used to use the 1n914 in radios a lot. I probably still have some of those around. That's why I asked. I tried to get parallax and they were gone for the day. And, my wife asked me to do some honeydos. That's what took so long.
    edited 2008-09-09 01:03
    You still didn't answer my question. "What kind of diode is a 1N914? What's it described as by the manufacturer? What's a Zener diode? What (kinds of things) are they used for?"
    edited 2008-09-09 01:08
    I am trying to understand your questions. The 1n914 is a glass diode. I have used it for years in TV and Radio. I probably still have one laying around. It was usually used as a detector in a radio circuit. The Zener was always a CLAMP to clamp the voltage so that it would not go over or under a certain level if I remember. It was like a regulator. But, I think at the same time it would flip a switch at a certain level. In TV sets if you had a voltage runaway, instead of burning up the TV set, the Zener would cut the TV off. It has been years since I used any of these, I am now a computer technician. And actually, I am a Technician manager, I mostly talk to people and supervise the other techs. So I don't get much hands on any more.
    edited 2008-09-09 01:16
    Read the thread about the nosehair trimmer and balloon launcher. It shows an example of the 1n914 right here on the very next thread. Wow! that was cool.
    edited 2008-09-09 01:22
    Do some work! Search the wikipedia for information. Search the Jameco or DigiKey web catalog for information.

1N914 diodes certainly are common. Find out something about them. Sure they're used for detectors. We're talking about computers here. How are they used in computers? What other functions are they good for?

Zener diodes can be used as clamps. They can be used as regulators. How? Find out something about them. Find out how they're used (how they're connected and why ... how do the circuits work).

Computer technicians, if they're (hopefully) anything more than a replacement monkey (just substituting one PCB for another based on a repair manual) need to know something about how things work. Managing technicians is an honorable profession, but Parallax products and the type of things that go on here don't need much in the way of management.
    edited 2008-09-09 01:32
    thanks for turning me on to wikipedia.

You have a good night!

smile.gif
  • Mike HuseltonMike Huselton Posts: 746
    edited 2008-09-09 02:41
    Mike was attempting to get you into the mode of self-education and research. His questions were rhetorical in nature and an effort to gauge your level of enlightenment.
    Please read the introductory material Mike wrote in his texts, and please, for God's sake, read and perform the Parallax self-learning exercises. This is a complex area of study, and they are no shortcuts.
    You, and only you, must do the hard work. I do not know any other way of making this simpler - you have to do the work and research yourself.

Please don't take this as being overly critical - but you must master the basics of self-learning.

Google Skype and follow the directions. You need a degree of hand holding that does not lend itself well to a forum exchange.
    I will volunteer to offer real-time telephone support, at least to get you over the lack of communication skills that you seem to exhibit.
    A few months from now, you will be the old-timer answering the questions of neophytes...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    JMH - Electronics: Engineer - Programming: Professional

Post Edited (Quantum) : 9/9/2008 2:53:22 AM GMT
    edited 2008-09-09 03:05
    That is mighty nice of you Quantum.
    edited 2008-09-09 15:56
    Mike, the person in tech support was not farmiliar with a fix for the protoboard.
    edited 2008-09-09 16:26
    The only other suggestion would be to compile BoeBotBasic with otherwise unused I/O pins used for the serial console, sort of like using an xBee transceiver for a wireless link, but without the xBee. You'd never see the output messages and it could only work in autostart mode, but it would stop restarting all the time.
    edited 2008-09-09 23:13
    The weirdest thing is, I can hook the USB cable from the computer up to the protoboard, Let the program start and then unplug the cable and it will continue to run. But, if I reset the computer with the usb unplugged. It will just sit there. If I plug in the computer to the usb port and reset the protoboard, it will load up the program from the SD card and execute it.