Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
More Prop II info..!?! — Parallax Forums

More Prop II info..!?!

LewisDLewisD Posts: 29
edited 2008-08-30 16:00 in Propeller 1
Hi Everyone,

I Have just had time to watch the seven YouTube Videos of Chips Interview...

I Think I found a few NEW nuggets of information about the Prop II .

Maybe they have been reported on already but they did not make it into the Prop II wiki.
propeller.wikispaces.com/Propeller+II

Watch this video (3 of 7) from minute 4:50 to about 5:30.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=DXbMBOzr46Q&feature=related

Not a lot,but what I heard was that every I/O pin will have an iterative A/D ( no bit depth mentioned... I think)
and a comparator that can be used for USB...

Maybe someone with better ears can get more from the clip.

I do hope Ethernet will also be possible, Even 10Mbs would be great.

LewisD <--- Patiently waiting for Prop II

(I fixed the broken Links)

Post Edited (LewisD) : 8/21/2008 10:09:01 PM GMT

Comments

• Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,562
    edited 2008-08-21 22:38
    LewisD,

A Comparator function would be a relatively easy implementation of the ADC.

Yes, there will be a Sigma-Delta Style ADC on each pin that will work much the same way the Sigma-Delta ADC object works.
    The main difference is that the feedback resistor and capacitors that connect to either rail will be part of the I/O pin itself.
    The 'depth' will be a function of how much time you want to·spend sampling the·pin.

Attached is a screen shot of one of the IO_PAD's... it includes ESD protection along with the Sigma-Delta ADC components, as well as driver transistors for the IO configured as an Output.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    454 x 787 - 371K
  • scottascotta Posts: 168
    edited 2008-08-22 13:09
    [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • P!-RoP!-Ro Posts: 1,189
    edited 2008-08-23 06:00
    Great! I can barely use the prop and I'm already excited!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Pi Guy
  • evanhevanh Posts: 15,658
    edited 2008-08-23 17:28
    Aw, man, that's way cool. Even if I can't figure that floor plan. Where is the capacitor?

I stopped to watch the whole interview this time. That's even cooler. Parallax is clearly a nice place to work. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Chip, you need to get a grip on what's normal me thinks ... talking about IC design as if every small design shop is doing it these days. If I'm not mistaken, the FPGA craze and it's masked versions, is meant to take up a lot of that market. Or, one is expected to use one of the myriad of controllers being put out by the corporates.

You've really leaped ahead with the Prop.

Evan
    edited 2008-08-23 17:58
    evanh,

Indeed a great place to work!!!

Floorplan:

1 - PMOS CAPS
    2 - NMOS CAPS
    3 - RESISTOR BANK
    4 - control logic for the Sigma delta, and I/O pin
    5 - ESD protection
    6 - level shifters and some glue-logic
    7 - PMOS transistor PAD driver
    8 - NMOS transistor PAD driver
    9 - wire bond PAD landing

Keep in mind that the caps, resistors, and ESD structures are all routed in the first layer of metal (BLUE color)
    This is a big deal, since that means that The remaining Metal layers (4 of them) can be used for power routing over these structures.
    Only one layer here is shown (Red horizontal straps)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Beau Schwabe (Parallax)) : 8/23/2008 9:58:47 PM GMT
    454 x 787 - 231K
    edited 2008-08-24 03:12
    Don't know what you just said, but it shure sounds good!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Pi Guy
  • stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
    edited 2008-08-24 05:05
    Cool hop.gif 64 adc's, can hardly wait. I assume from this that the control registers are going to have to change a fair bit from the current prop. Can you give us any idea of any changes to the counters or is that still under wraps/being developed?
    edited 2008-08-24 05:15
    stevenmess2004,

"Can you give us any idea of any changes to the counters or is that still under wraps/being developed?" - Until Chip is willing to divulge a new important aspect, my lips are sealed.· I don't know the inter workings of how the propeller IDE would handle the differences, other than to the user it would simply be another·command ( <-- I think) used to set the pin up as an ADC verses how the·IDE·currently works.·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
    edited 2008-08-24 05:56
    Thanks, I thought that may be the answer smile.gif
    edited 2008-08-24 15:00
    Hmm, achieving 64 A/D converters efficiently ... Looking at the layout there is obviously serious sizing issues dealing with the final stage output transistors and adding extra routing to them. They have to have a strong connection to the pad.

The neighboring output could be routed via a resistor since there is no need for high current when driving the converter. But then it couldn't be used as an input itself.

Ah, that's it, there is no need for a tough driver in the converter at all! The driver can be safely hidden away behind it's high value resistor. Nice.

Man, what happened to the days of expensive complex A/D converters? It's impressive what can be saved with some thought.

Evan
    edited 2008-08-24 15:20
    And there is no change to registers for this feature either, afaics. Just have to specify, in the program, the feedback pin as the same one as the input.
    edited 2008-08-24 20:21
    evanh,

"Looking at the layout there is obviously serious sizing issues dealing with the final stage output transistors" - actually not really... many of the individual gates on those transistors are tied back to Vdd or Vss.... This creates your reverse bias diode on the I/O pins.·· Only a few gates are required to be active for driving these transistors.· The power routing is adequately sized to handle at least 40mA.· ... Same as the current Propeller design.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2008-08-24 23:02
    Ah, that's interesting in another way. So, the grid look of the large features is real then? I wasn't sure if it was just a representation like the hash pattern that provides a level of transparency for viewing multiple layers.
    edited 2008-08-25 02:38
    "Ah, that's interesting in another way. So, the grid look of the large features is real then?" - Correct, there is some pixel·quantification, but what you are still able to see are the individual transistor fingers.
    ·
    Attached is a closer view with vertical metals turned off.· You can see where some fingers (green-horizontal· - almost covered by Vss contacts)·are tied to Vss (bluish layer - Metal 1) while others are active (next metal up·- Metal 2·- red color)
    ·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    1059 x 841 - 750K
    edited 2008-08-25 04:21
    Been able to make any testprops yet?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    The Pi Guy
    edited 2008-08-25 04:50
    I LIKE PI,

Soon, but that doesn't mean a Prop II release yet... just final testing for us with the layout blocks that we currently have to date, and to make sure everything is in check with them before we proceed with the logic that ties all of the current blocks together.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Beau Schwabe (Parallax)) : 8/25/2008 5:01:47 AM GMT
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-08-25 06:10
    Beau is definitely more knowlegable, but I think it will be 32 possible ADCs, pins are grouped in pairs and there are 32 pairs. It operates similar to what the current Prop does, only the components and routing happens internally, but you still need two pins to make one channel work.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2008-08-25 17:55
    I hate to bring this up, but is a deserializer possible in PropII ?

The waitvid instruction is a very useful "serializer" ... not having the opposite "deserializer" is kind of like going stag to the prom. Having a deserializer could make some wonderful things possible. I know how to use multiple cogs to achieve the same result, but it sure is a waste of computing power.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Steve
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,134
    edited 2008-08-25 18:18
    jazzed said...
    I hate to bring this up, but is a deserializer possible in PropII ?

The waitvid instruction is a very useful "serializer" ... not having the opposite "deserializer" is kind of like going stag to the prom. Having a deserializer could make some wonderful things possible. I know how to use multiple cogs to achieve the same result, but it sure is a waste of computing power.

Yes, I've been thinking about this, too. I just need to narrow down what kinds of demodulation we should support. Manchester and NRZ come to mind, but are there others?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Chip Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,357
    edited 2008-08-25 18:36
    Speaking of waitvid... If someone wanted to do a HDMI output, wouldn't it be nice to have a hardware 10-bit TMDS?
    edited 2008-08-25 19:22
    It's kind of a tall order, but you nailed a few big ones. You might choose something to support WiFi too [noparse]:)[/noparse]

I'm no modulation expert, but it seems that some obvious other needs in are: PAM (100Mb Ethernet), FHSS (Bluetooth), DSSS (802.11b), OFDM (ADSL,802.11a/g,802.16). Trying to support 8b/10b for Gigabit Ethernet is probably absurd.

With NRZ SONET is possible, but the problem becomes clock recovery. SONET OC1 is about 51Mbps and seems doable if you have a 160Mhz clock. OC3 at 155Mbps is likely a bit high. Finding a generic way to serve the different "chronoses" would be good but not likely (syn, isosyn, plesiosyn, etc...).

Some of this might depend on what royalty based 3rd party FPGA IP is available. It might take a huge effort to do it alone.

In any event, SERDES ability can help score networking company design wins, but getting something out the door quickly to serve your current loyal and hungry customer base would be more wonderful [noparse]:)[/noparse]. You could always add more complicated features later.

Thanks

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Steve
    edited 2008-08-25 20:23
    ... Just to confirm, I just got off of the phone with Chip ... There will be 64 single ended Sigma-Delta ADC's available for individual use.· An extended differential mode will allow you to pair the single ended ADC’s ·for use as a differential Sigma-Delta ADC's.· The maximum number of·differential Sigma-Delta ADC's can not exceed 32.· Certainly you can mix and match the ADC's using some in single ended mode, and some in differential mode.
    ·
    ·
    As far as the high speed SerDes, I will probably be proven wrong, but ...· At National Semiconductor I was involved with the high speed communications division using SerDes chips that were completely dedicated to handle and process the high speed internet bandwidth.· You can most likely achieve 10/100, but I doubt Gigabit speeds can be reached without dedicating at least half or more of your cogs running in stepped phase increments to one another.

·

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
  • parskoparsko Posts: 501
    edited 2008-08-25 20:43
    Wouldn't one want to stay away from fixed speed communication protocol deserializers? What would happen if one were to be running a slow clock rate, and assume the feature was present, but (in the end) could not be used due to the lower I/O rates?

Something like serial data and I2C will work regardless of clock rate, albeit much slower.

Am I correct in assuming that different protocols require certain bandwidth? Or would it not matter?

-Parsko
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2008-08-25 20:43
    Hi Chip Gracey

You said.

"" Yes, I've been thinking about this, too. I just need to narrow down what kinds of demodulation we should support. Manchester and NRZ come to mind, but are there others? ""

I one of my threds I have proposo to deserializer.
    It is maybe one off interest ??

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Nothing is impossible, there are only different degrees of difficulty.

Sapieha
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,134
    edited 2008-08-25 20:51
    Sapieha said...

I one of my threds I have proposo to deserializer.
    It is maybe one off interest ??
    Yes, it is! Can you supply the thread? Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Chip Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2008-08-25 21:13
    Hi Chip Gracey.

Thanks for replay.
    My post is in that thred.
    It is first post in it.

http://forums.parallax.com/forums/default.aspx?f=25&p=1&m=212396

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Nothing is impossible, there are only different degrees of difficulty.

Sapieha
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-08-25 21:41
    Chip Gracey said...
    I just need to narrow down what kinds of demodulation we should support. Manchester and NRZ come to mind, but are there others?
    Rather than thinking about which protocols to "support" explicitly, perhaps something lower-level that can be configured to support these things, and more, would be a better place to start from.

Going the other way, for example, the Prop I's video circuitry knows nothing about Manchester code or PWM, but it can be made to generate both at high speeds. The counters were never designed to be RF mixers, either, but they can be configured to perform that task. This is because the hardware was made general enough for software to virtualize these higher-level functions.

Also, it may be helpful to think of deserailization as n-bits-per-clock, rather than just 1-bit-per-clock, in the same way that the video circuitry works with multiple pins in parallel, but for packing data, rather than unpacking it (and without the LUT). This would allow fast video capture to become a reality.

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Still some PropSTICK Kit bare PCBs left!
    edited 2008-08-25 22:16
    I agree completely that a generic solution would be best if possible. There are limits anyway you go though.

Given big enough buffers and high enough sample rate, you can do anything.

Some type of coding would be great if it was "cheap" to do. Manchester is fine for 10BaseT and may be useful for little network connections. Just having a serial-parallel shift register and latch (which can be NRZ or whatever ... NRZI+4b/5b encoding app= 100BaseTX/FX) would buy more performance functionality than we have now or would have in Prop II without it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    --Steve
  • kevin101kevin101 Posts: 55
    edited 2008-08-25 22:27
    This is kinda off topic but...

How many instructions per second could we expect from the prop II, both asm and spin?
    What would be the reccomended operating frequency, and would the 5MHZ crystal on
    current props work (with mabye PLL32X)??
    About how much would prop II/protoboard cost?

The built in A/D's are awesome! This will simplify many of my projects, no more
    external A/D chips. Would they be eight bit A/D's though?

Prop II is probably overkill for anything that I throw at it (prop I already is), but I still look forward
    to getting one.

Parallax Rocks!
    Kevin
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-08-25 22:52
    You can figure most of your questions out yourself from what's already been discussed·...

The Prop II will have a system clock up to 160MHz, but with a one instruction per clock pipeline in each of 16 cogs.· You figure out the numbers.

We don't know how different the Spin interpreter will be on the Prop II, but most of it should be the same so figure that the Spin execution speed will have the same Prop I : Prop II ratio most of the time.

Nobody knows how much it will cost or how much a Protoboard with it will cost.· I suspect that that cost won't be too much different from the Prop I.· The cost of making a chip is roughly proportional to its area and the size and number of pins in its package, but a lot of the cost is R & D and marketing / sales.

I don't know how the built-in crystal oscillator will work.· It might still use a 5MHz crystal with a PLL32x or it might use a 10MHz crystal with a PLL16x.· There are reasons for doing both.