Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Video Switcher — Parallax Forums

Video Switcher

FalconFalcon Posts: 191
edited 2008-08-17 13:41 in BASIC Stamp
Hello all,
I know that a BS2 cannot process video signals, as the Propeller can,·but I'm interested in building a unit that would switch video from a series of outdoor cameras based on PIR detectors.· The BS2 would just have to change the state of relays to display the video from the camera nearest the PIR.

I know X-10 will do this, and I'll be using X-10 PIRs, but I don't want to have a PC running 24/7 in order to see the various camera views.· I just need the BS2 to receive the PIR X-10 signals through an interface, and switch to the camera nearest the PIR.

All ideas and comments welcome,

Falcon

Comments

• pwillardpwillard Posts: 321
    edited 2008-08-14 21:49
    With video signals, you enter the world of analog and not just simple analog, either.· You may need to have some form of amplifier in your circuit so you don't mess up the signal with the switching circuit.· In addition, you also need to be aware that the bandwidth of a video signal is pretty high, so not just any opamp or analog switch will cope with it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

There's nothing like a new idea and a warm soldering iron.
  • LilDiLilDi Posts: 229
    edited 2008-08-14 22:00
    Instead of PIR's, take a look at this motion detector IC.

http://www.farco.co.nz/vmd19.html

Video switching IC's are a good way to mux video like this one.

http://www.jameco.com/Jameco/Products/ProdDS/1118668.pdf
  • dMajodMajo Posts: 855
    edited 2008-08-15 07:25
    Hi Falcon,

·· have a look at this IC from maxim: it's very easy to implement them since they requires minimal external components for basic applications

Dario
  • FalconFalcon Posts: 191
    edited 2008-08-15 23:39
    pwillard & LilDi,

I appreciate your comments. I guess I'm not going to switch video signals with a simple relay. [noparse]:([/noparse]

Those motion detector and video switching ICs are interesting but maybe a bit over my head technically at this point.

I did find these items that may fill the bill. See http://www.tech-world.com/switches.php I really do want to integrate the BS2 just because of the expandability and ability to integrate with my existing X-10 system.

Falcon
  • kelvin jameskelvin james Posts: 531
    edited 2008-08-16 17:22
    Have a look at the xout command, using the power line interface like the TW-523 is used to control x10 modules through the ac lines with a stamp. The interfaces are bidirectional, and some research would be required to see if it is possible to do what you want. The pir puts out an active signal that can be seen through the interface by the stamp, then the stamp would turn on that camera. Looks like the interface does the polling and error checking itself. Tech note attatched.
  • FalconFalcon Posts: 191
    edited 2008-08-17 13:41
    I just found this unit that will do most of what I want. Now I need to integrate that into the rest of my home automation set-up.

kelvin james,
    I just purchased the PL-513 which is the unidirectional X-10 interface. Looks like I should have bought the TW-523 instead.

Falcon