Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
uOLED-96-PROP ASM Display driver — Parallax Forums

uOLED-96-PROP ASM Display driver

Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
edited 2008-10-02 02:05 in Propeller 1
I created an assembly language display driver for the uOLED-96-PROP that uses the 256 color mode.· For those wanting to do graphics and animation this driver is a ticket to performance.· Now you can code your own graphics engine (or use the sample code I hope to upload soon) to do faster animations (instead of the built-in functions of the OLED chip set).· The driver is simple, I think, and basically copies a block of Propeller memory byte by byte into the OLED memory for displaying.· There are a few things I want to add to the driver before I release the code here.· One thing I did include though was a method to determine how fast updates were being sent to the OLED.· The driver is sending a frame every 6ms which is about·166 FPS!!

In order to test the display driver I also had to create an graphics engine that handles 8-bits per pixel (256 color).· At the moment the graphics engine isn't really an engine, it is more of a collection of routines in spin to set pixels in the Propeller video memory.··The collection current has pixel, line, circle, sprite and text ability.· I hope to·add a fill command and clipping ability to the driver.· With time I also hope to·code it in ASM.· Clearly, the bottleneck for great performance,·at this time, is the SPIN graphics driver.

I uploaded a demo video to YouTube·(click here).· The colors do not show up the best because of my digital camera, but you have to trust me it looks pretty good.· I also attached an EEPROM file and if you have a uOLED-96-PROP you can load this in and it should run.

Note that this program/demo is running on 64MHz. clocked Propeller and·the OLED is setup for·8-bit color (RRR-GGG-BB).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Timothy D. Swieter

www.brilldea.com·- check out the uOLED-IOC, an I/O expansion for the uOLED-96-PROP
www.tdswieter.com
One little spark of imagination is all it takes for an idea to explode

Comments

• joeldjoeld Posts: 49
    edited 2008-03-19 13:38
    Nice work, Colors do look very good. I'm anxious to try the driver out. The flying line portion of the demo made me flash back to a graphics class in college. Which now I'll probably dream I forgot to to go to all semester and it's finals day.
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2008-03-19 14:08
    Looks good from the YouTube vid, I really should invest in a OLED-96 to have a play [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,364
    edited 2008-03-19 16:10
    Very nice! So, I guess you're double-buffering with Prop HUB Ram... That makes sense for fast moving vector graphics.
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2008-03-19 19:24
    it's only 6K for the display, so shouldn't be a problem double buffering it
  • Timothy D. SwieterTimothy D. Swieter Posts: 1,613
    edited 2008-03-19 23:43
    Correct, the display is double buffered with Propeller memory and the display driver is always clocking out the memory. Because of the speed of clocking out a frame, 6ms, one could really use one memory buffer in the Propeller and then at the end of the rendering section clock the data to the display. I think it is fast enough it should not be a problem and this could save a little code space. In other words the rendering and clocking of data to the display is happening in serial instead of Parallel right now.

One of the hooks I want to implement in the driver is the ability to configure for "clock when I kick you" or "clock all the time".

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter

www.brilldea.com·- check out the uOLED-IOC, an I/O expansion for the uOLED-96-PROP
    www.tdswieter.com
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,562
    edited 2008-03-20 05:48
    Timothy,

Great Job!· ... and it's Spin!... When I did the VGA graphics, I started out building my blocks functionally with Spin, and then converting them to Assembly.· Seemed like the natural approach.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Beau Schwabe (Parallax)) : 3/20/2008 5:53:27 AM GMT
  • Lord SteveLord Steve Posts: 206
    edited 2008-03-20 16:50
    6 ms??· Are you POSITIVE?· That's like 166 frames per second.
    edited 2008-03-21 00:10
    Yes I am positive. The Display driver, the ASM code the is copying the Propeller memory to the OLED memory is very fast. There are only 6144 bytes to transfer and since the bus between the Propeller and the OLED is 8-bits the process goes very fast. The "graphics engine" on the other hand is in SPIN. It should be good reference material for those wanting to learn about graphics. I enjoyed creating it and learning more about graphics and learned from information I found on the net and on this forum.

Code coming later today. I haven't had time to add and work on the additional features, but I figure I shouldn't keep you all waiting any longer.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter

www.tdswieter.com
    edited 2008-03-22 01:25
    Ok - I posted the 8-bit display driver and the 8-bit graphics driver for the uOLED-96-PROP into the object exchange.· You can download the dermo and the drivers there and start creating your own games, high end graphics, etc.·

There is still more work I would like to do for the display driver.· The same for the graphics driver.· If someone is keen and would like to code an 8-bit ASM graphics driver, that would be great.· Otherwise I will get to it eventually.

Enjoy and let me know what you think of the object!

http://obex.parallax.com/objects/301/

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter

www.tdswieter.com
    edited 2008-04-01 14:42
    How do you deal with tearing due to not being able to lock to vsync?
    edited 2008-04-02 00:36
    Hi Lord Steve.· Thank you for the technical question, it keeps me on my toes.
    With this OLED display there isn't a vsync signal (sort of).· I researched in the controller chip datasheet (Solomon Systech SSD1331) and did find a signal named "FR".· The "FR" is described as a RAM write synchronization signal to help the microcontroller synchronizes its writes to the OLED RAM.· Further on in the datasheet is a diagram and description of how to use this signal and a "fast write MCU" and a "slow write MCU" operation is described.· I don't know what frequency FR is operating at and I hadn't measured it or calculated it.·
    The 4D Systems uOLED product does not connect the "FR" signal to the Propeller·so there is no ability to use this signal inside the Propeller software either.· Based on the description of the "fast write MCU" an OLED RAM update needs to start on the rising edge and finish before the next rising edge.· Since this signal was not available, I just wrote an ASM driver and started testing.· Voila - it worked!· I believe it works because the update to the OLED is so fast it falls clearly within the "fast write MCU" description.· I haven't experienced any tearing effects in the times I have spent playing with the display and this software.
    Are you using the ASM driver?· Have you experienced tearing?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter

www.tdswieter.com
    edited 2008-04-02 02:06
    Oh, I didn't mean to cause you to think that I was getting tearing with your stuff.··I have not tried your driver nor hardware.· I want to hook an OLED up to a prop and wondered how you handled vsync.· If there's no tearing for you, then perhaps I, too, will not succumb to the vile rending.

Thanks for the info.
    edited 2008-04-02 02:29
    What OLED are you using? What is the controller? You may be able to piggy back on the ASM code that I created to get your display working. Does you OLED have a vsync with it?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter

www.tdswieter.com
    edited 2008-04-02 02:49
    edited 2008-04-02 03:14
    I have one of those OLED displays and carrier boards in my "to do" bin. At a glance, my ASM code should be easily adaptable to work with this display. One thing to carefully study is the powerup routine. Also the loop counting variables in the ASM need to be adjusted for the display size. When I was writing the driver I considered generalizing it so that the display size (in pixels) is passed to the driver. In the end I figured it is easily enough changed by the end user to work with their display so I didn't go the extra steps to generalize it.

The other thing I would like to include in the driver, but have not included yet, is a way to have the driver clocking data all the time or to have it only clock data when "kicked". In other words the driver could be used in a double buffered system or in a single buffer system. The main reason I want to add this is because of the display you referenced. 128x128=16384. If it is one byte per pixel, that is a lot of bytes for only one screen buffer. Not much left for second screen buffer not to mention the program!

I won't make any promises when I will look at the ASM code to work with the OLED from SparkFun. Please, feel free to beat me to it. I am focused on another product for Brilldea at the moment but perhaps I may have time while waiting for the PCBs. Like I said, the core ASM may work just fine once it is revised.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter

www.tdswieter.com
  • Mark SwannMark Swann Posts: 124
    edited 2008-08-23 19:32
    Timothy,

You do great work.

I have to warn you that I am an optimization freak and a crazed PROP assembly language fanatic, so I could not resist meddling with your code. Please forgive me.wink.gif

I have of course optimized it nearly to death and can now boast a frame rate of 3.073 ms from the original 6.16 ms. That's a whopping 325 frames per second. What ever are we going to do with all·those frames? We really only need·at most·one out of every ten,·so for the rest I suppose we·could just go take a coffee break. Right?smilewinkgrin.gif

I have also converted most of the Graphics driver functions (only the really fun functions) over to assembly language.·You should see the demo rip. If I don't intentionally throttle back the poor thing with delay statements in the loops, the circle and line and text drawing routines will whiz by in a blazing blur. It's not very graceful, but it is exciting. It's like lighting a cat's tail on fire. I have never actually done that, but I did tie a helium balloon to a cat and watched as the cat tried despatately to escape the balloon. Don't try·that·at home. nono.gif The cat survived, but we did have a few things toppled.

Seriously. My only question is, where do I post my changes?

Mark
    edited 2008-08-24 20:32
    Mark -

WOW! 3.073ms/frame! WOW! One word, WOW!

OK, let me try and talk here. WOW! I don't mind other taking the code and improving and modifying it. I tend to be a generalist and good at many things, but not an expert. WOW! I am delighted that you took the SPIN graphic functions and the assembly drivers and improved them.

Make sure you give credit to me for the original work, but go ahead and put your name on it and upload it to the forum. Post a note here pointing to your object. If you can, take a video of it blazing fast and slowed down and post it on YouTube. In the future, I hope we can find a good solution to expand the memory of the prop and use a larger screen. I don't want to wait for the prop II memory.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, E.I.

www.brilldea.com·- Prop Blade, LED Painter, RGB LEDs, uOLED-IOC, eProto fo SunSPOT, BitScope
    www.sxmicro.com - a blog·exploring the SX micro
    www.tdswieter.com
    edited 2008-08-25 01:40
    Timothy,

Attached is the turbo version of your 8-bit graphics driver.

Here's an excerpt from the new readme file:

I have included two versions of the top-level demo file as follows:
    1. Brilldea-8bit OLED-Demo-Throttled.spin
    2. Brilldea-8bit OLED-Demo-Turbo.spin
    The first one contains timing adjustments to loops to allow the demo
    to flow slow and gracefully.
    The second contains the loop timing constraints of Timothy's original
    demo, so the circle, line and text drawing will whiz by really fast.

Mark Swann
    edited 2008-08-25 14:15
    When I return to HK, where my uOLED is, I will have to try these out. Thank you for posting them Mark.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, E.I.

www.brilldea.com·- Prop Blade, LED Painter, RGB LEDs, uOLED-IOC, eProto fo SunSPOT, BitScope
    www.tdswieter.com
  • Ed ParsonsEd Parsons Posts: 31
    edited 2008-09-11 00:18
    @Tim and Mark,

I have been playing with trying to get some large numeric digits to display on the uOLED-96-PROP. I must say that the way I accomplish is not really pretty but it works. I actually "draw" a number by using (6) 8x8 characters that I have modified to be parts of the digits. I actually took the second half of the 8x8 character set and re-used them - I figured I could do without lower case for the 8x8 characters, and that way I don't burn anymore memory up. I tried making 10 sprites, but that just took up too much memory. Anyway, I end up with a 16x24 numeric character. With Mark's turbo code running a three digit counter (pretty simple I realize but proved out the concept for me), with no delays put in, you can't even read the units digit because it is changing so fast - it's just a blur. All this and I have to clear the background in between each character.

I have to agree with Tim's assessment of the optimization - WOW.

On a related note, can anyone tell me why the built-in propeller font is not available on the uOLED-96-PROP and you have to waste so much memory loading the fonts into memory? Sure would be nice to be able to use the Propeller font (and it's scale command) and not use up the memory.

Ed
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-09-11 00:45
    The Propeller font is designed for a 16 x 32 character cell and can be used for a 16 x 16 character cell if some appearance quality is given up. It is not likely to look good in an 8 x 8 character cell. You could average 8 adjacent pixels to get one display pixel, but it wouldn't look good. That's why the built-in font wasn't used.
    edited 2008-09-11 01:04
    I second Mike's reason for not using the Propeller Font in the graphics driver, but that doesn't mean you can't.· If you want large digits like you are doing, then the Propeller Font would work great.· The routine to grab the font and deinterlace it could probably be borrowed from other code on the forum or object exchange.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Timothy D. Swieter, E.I.

www.tdswieter.com
    edited 2008-09-11 01:13
    For different fonts, you might examine my driver here:

http://www.rayslogic.com/propeller/3rdPartyHardware/uOLED-96-Prop/RS232Driver.htm

This has the two from 4d plus Clemen's "Secret font"...
    edited 2008-09-11 23:22
    Thanks Guys - appreciate the info, and Rayman I'll check out your stuff.

Thanks Again,

Ed
  • rokickirokicki Posts: 1,000
    edited 2008-09-11 23:29
    This is really impressive!

Is it possible we can adjust current consumption by adjusting the display rate? Greater than 60 is overkill for me.

But really neat; makes me want to play with this again.
    edited 2008-09-13 00:28
    Rayman - I don't mean to hijack this thread which is about the uOLED-96-PROP display driver that Tim developed, but I have a question on your uOLED-96-PROP_V4RayAsm driver and the PPI engine, and I had a hard time finding that thread.

You have a severe warning about modifying the InitOLED and say:

'note: using assembly PPI engine to control all but reset and VCC enable pins!

I am using Tim Sweiter's UOLED IOC expansion board which uses pins 18 and 19 for the I2C, and I want to use pins 20 and 21 for direct monitoring of two magnetic reed switches. Would the PPI engine still allow me to do this?

Thanks,
    Ed
    edited 2008-09-13 13:23
    Ed,

I think I meant all "display" pins except reset and VCC enable... So, you should be fine.
    Hopefully, Tim doesn't mind since you bought one of his boards [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    edited 2008-09-13 16:24
    Thanks Ray - I really like some of the stuff you've got incorporated into your driver for the uOLED-96-PROP.

That's kind of what I figured with Tim.
    edited 2008-09-21 01:01
    Mark,

I have a question on your Turbo graphics driver. Tim's original plotchar routine in SPIN was like this (only the 8x8 part shown for brevity):

if _font                                             ' font 1 8x8 
          _xC <<= 3                                         ' x 8
          _yC <<= 3                                         ' x 8
          repeat row from 0 to 7
             repeat col from 0 to 7
                if font_8x8[noparse][[/noparse]_char+row] & $80 >> col
                   plotPixel(_xC+col,_yC+row, _color)

I was able (since this was in Spin) to figure out how to incorporate the ability to optionally choose a background color (-1 leaves allows the character to still be printed with a "transparent" background). This allowed me to not have to clear the screen before writing text back over an area that already has text. It also allows for inverse characters. Here is my modification (Rayman, I know that this is similar to your implementation in your driver, but I really had figured this out before looking at your driver - great minds and all that)

repeat row from 0 to 7
             repeat col from 0 to 7
                if font_8x8[noparse][[/noparse]_char+row] & $80 >> col         ' the pixel is part of the character - plot with foreground
                elseif _bgcolor <> -1                       ' not part of character - if not transparent bg, then plot with _bgcolor 
                   plotPixel(_xC+col,_yC+row, _bgcolor)

Since I really don't know assembly, is there a way to incorporate this in your turbo object? I'm greedy and I really want both the speed of your turbo driver and the ability to print characters with and without a background color.

By the way, kind of obvious, but I also added another parameter to the call

PUB plotChar(_char, _xC, _yC, _font, _color, _bgcolor) | row, col

Thanks,

Ed

Post Edited (Ed Parsons) : 9/21/2008 1:06:27 AM GMT
    edited 2008-09-28 03:03
    edit: Ed, I apologize for not seeing this post, and responding to it sooner.
    Ed Parsons said...
    Mark,

I have a question on your Turbo graphics driver.
    ... a lot clipped here for brevity ...
          repeat row from 0 to 7
             repeat col from 0 to 7
                if font_8x8[noparse][[/noparse]_char+row] & $80 >> col         ' the pixel is part of the character - plot with foreground
                elseif _bgcolor <> -1                       ' not part of character - if not transparent bg, then plot with _bgcolor 
                   plotPixel(_xC+col,_yC+row, _bgcolor)

Since I really don't know assembly, is there a way to incorporate this in your turbo object? I'm greedy and I really want both the speed of your turbo driver and the ability to print characters with and without a background color.

By the way, kind of obvious, but I also added another parameter to the call

PUB plotChar(_char, _xC, _yC, _font, _color, _bgcolor) | row, col

Thanks,

Ed
    Ed,
    My newest plotchar assembly code is below.
    Look at the label named :innerloop. If you un-comment the two lines that follow it, you will get almost what you want. Adding code to test the background color (fill color) every time through the loop to test for transparent mode is expensive, so If I were to implement it, I would actually create two different loops, with and without the transparent mode.
    '-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    ' PlotChar
    '
    asmPlotChar             rdlong  fromY, Parm2Addr
                            shl     fromY, #3
                            rdbyte  temp3, Parm3Addr
                            min     temp3, #$20
                            sub     temp3, #$20
                            rdlong  fromX, Parm1Addr
                            shl     temp3, #3
                            jmpret  _plotCharFontSwitch_ret, _plotCharFontSwitch1
                            call    #plotCharSub
                            jmp     #commandComplete
    _plotCharFontSwitch1    jmp     #_5x7_1
    _8x8_1                  shl     fromX, #3 ' multiply by 8
                            jmp     _plotCharFontSwitch_ret
    _5x7_1                  shl     fromX, #1 ' multiply by 6
                            mov     temp1, fromX
                            shl     fromX, #1
                            add     fromX, temp1
    _plotCharFontSwitch_ret ret
    plotCharSub             add     temp3, currFontAddr
                            mov     dy, #0
                            rdlong  temp4, temp3
                            add     temp3, #4
                            mov     pixelColor, color
                            rdlong  temp5, temp3
                            call    #_plotChar
                            mov     temp4, temp5
                            call    #_plotChar

add     fromX, charWidth
    plotCharSub_ret         ret
    _plotChar               mov     l1, #4
    :outerLoop              mov     temp2, temp4
                            shr     temp4, #8
                            mov     l2, #8
                            mov     dx, fontCharOffset
    :innerLoop              shr     temp2, #1 wc
    '         if_c          mov     pixelColor, color
    '         if_nc         mov     pixelColor, fillColor
              if_c          call    #_plotRelativePixel
                            add     dx, #1
                            djnz    l2, #:innerLoop
                            add     dy, #1
                            djnz    l1, #:outerLoop
    _plotChar_ret           ret

I have made extensive modifications to the rest of the 8-bit driver code. In my effort to reduce excessive redundant operations especially in the inner-most loops, I have actually reduced the number of parameters to the plotChar routine and others. For example,·below is my spin code for the plotChar routine. You can see I actually have two routines: one with the original color parameter and the other with it removed to speed things up.
    '**************************************
    PUB SetColor(_color)

repeat while command
      parm1 := _color
      command := cmdSetColor

PUB plotChar(_char, _xC, _yC) | row, col
    '' Plot a single character into the video memory.
    ''
    ''  _char      - The character
    ''  _xC        - Text column (0-11 for 8x8 font, 0-15 for 5x7 font)
    ''  _yC        - Text row (0-7 for 8x8 and 5x7 font)
    ''
    ''  Based on routines from 4D System uOLED driver    
      repeat while command

parm1 := _xC
      parm2 := _yC
      parm3 := _char
      command := cmdPlotChar
    PUB plotCharC(_char, _xC, _yC, _color) | row, col
    '' Plot a single character into the video memory.
    ''
    ''  _char      - The character
    ''  _xC        - Text column (0-11 for 8x8 font, 0-15 for 5x7 font)
    ''  _yC        - Text row (0-7 for 8x8 and 5x7 font)
    ''  _color     - 8-bit color value (RRRGGGBB)
    ''
    ''  Based on routines from 4D System uOLED driver    
      SetColor(_color)
      repeat while command

parm1 := _xC
      parm2 := _yC
      parm3 := _char
      command := cmdPlotChar

My point is that, instead of adding another parameter to plotChar,·you may want to consider adding another Spin function named setBackgroundColor. Since most of your characters will be plotted with the same background. For instance when plotting, let's say 10 characters, why set the foreground and background color 10 times when you can do it just·one time·up front.
    In my case, I am maintaining the concept of a Fill Color, instead of a Backgound Color. IMHO It's really the same thing.
    Edit: I'll see if I can add·this mode to my current plotChar assembly code. I can't promise that it will be a quick turn-around.
    Mark

Post Edited (Mark Swann) : 9/28/2008 3:19:23 AM GMT