Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Making PCB's - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Making PCB's

2»

Comments

• mynet43mynet43 Posts: 644
    edited 2008-03-20 18:05
    @ bambino,

I noticed you didn't download all three files.

I think you might want to have the third one too, since there are other components that depend on it.

Jim
  • bambinobambino Posts: 789
    edited 2008-03-20 21:03
    Actually, I have been away on call for the last 3 hours, I've not had the chance to download any till now. Thanks for reminding me though!
    edited 2008-03-20 21:13
    Mynet43, Youv'e answered my next question already, Thanks, your a genius.
    SD_Card Too, Would that happen to be a molex part?
    edited 2008-03-20 22:18
    The micro SD socket is from SparkFun Electronics: P/N PRT-00127.

I've used it several times and I love it. It fits easily on my 1" x 2" boards.

That pattern fits it perfectly.

Jim
    edited 2008-03-25 13:56
    @MyNet43,

The file below is a SO size EEPROM footprint I made from the attached datasheet, Would you please give it a scrutinious look thru.
    I have gained some confidence with the DipTrace software, but I have yet to produce anything with it yet!

Thanks in advance!
    edited 2008-03-25 14:50
    bambino,

I won't have a chance to have a good look at it until much later today.

First look, it looks like the pin pitch is good, 1.27mm. However, the 'E' dimension should be 8.0mm. It looks like yours it about 6mm.

I'm assuming you're using the package described on p. 15 of the spec, Plastic Small Outline.

Let me know if it's something else.

I'll look at it closer later.

Jim
    edited 2008-03-25 15:00
    Yes Sir, Page 15 is correct. And please, I'm in no hurry because it won't be my money that gets burned when I send one of these off!
    edited 2008-03-26 01:13
    I looked over the E dimension and made some changes. This is the first parameter that I had to use trial an error on to change. Everything else has been type-enter-perfect. If you increase the hieght of the pins you have to go back and compesate the spacing 2 parameter. Thanks for pointing that error out!
    edited 2008-03-26 03:00
    I took another quick look at the layout. This time it looks good. You have the right pitch and you allowed the pads to be a little bigger than the pads on the chip. This makes it much easier to solder by hand.

One thing I always try to do is to center the chip on the grid, this makes it easier to measure the dimensions of each component. I also sketch it first and lay out the dims of each pin, etc. You can easily change the grid to any value you're trying to measure by selecting 'View/Grid Size/Custom" and entering the value. Let me know if you have any other questions. And let other people know how easy it is to use [noparse]:)[/noparse]

FYI, I use a slightly smaller eeprom chip to do the same job. I think it's 6mm across the pins instead of 8mm.
    The P/N for the 512 part is AT24C512BN-SH25-T. The Mouser P/N is 556-A24C512BNSH25T.

The pattern for this part is in my Surface Mt.lib that you have, it's called "SOIC JEDEC".

Jim
    edited 2008-03-26 10:27
    mynet43, This is great. The linker for the schematic is going to help a lot. Very nice package!
    I just followed the tutorial, no big surprises with the inter face. I did have to go with the Windows API option as the direct 3D was rebooting my system when I would try try to import a large Gerber file!
  • CannibalRoboticsCannibalRobotics Posts: 535
    edited 2008-03-26 13:45
    PCBExpress is great for little prototypes. I've used them many times. THe software is easy, the simplicity of ordering really is very cool - design the circuit, push a button and three days later it arrives in the mail.
  • paulmacpaulmac Posts: 51
    edited 2008-03-27 11:10
    Hi,
    I played with Liquid PCB for a little bit.
    Interesting idea but still needs some work.

screen4_th.png
  • DroneDrone Posts: 433
    edited 2008-03-28 08:39
    Did someone mention FreePCB from www.freepcb.com? FreePCB is a layout tool, free & open-source with decent community support. No autorouter or schematic capture though. Pretty easy to use, but I had some small issues with ground pours when I used it a year or so ago, very likely fixed by now.

David
  • bjhamltnbjhamltn Posts: 21
    edited 2008-04-20 22:09
    Does anyone have any experience using the services of King Circuit?

http://www.kingcircuit.com/index.cfm
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2008-04-21 14:59
    www.pad2pad.com looks good. Quotes for Boebot sized boards look good,
    and quotes for orders are available in their software based on parameters.
    Was able to build/edit circuit symbols easily with the partner's schematic capture.
    Haven't tried importing schematic to the layout tool yet. Can't find shipping costs.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    jazzed·... about·living in·http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Valley

Traffic is slow at times, but Parallax orders·always get here fast 8)
  • SeariderSearider Posts: 290
    edited 2008-04-21 17:47
    This may be a little OT. if so, let me know and I'll create a new topic for it.
    I'm desiging my first board using DipTrace. My question is around specifing hole sizes. When I specify the hole size for a pin pad, should I specify the finished hole size after platting, or should I try to calculate the drill size to use before platting ? If I specify the final hole size, what do I use as a guide for available or standard sizes. If I specify the hole size prior to plating, then I guess I can just use the list of standard drill bit sizes that seems readily available on the net.

Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Searider