Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
DeSilva's new Posting Policy - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

DeSilva's new Posting Policy

Comments

• hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-03-13 01:57
    @ deSilva : If you go you'll be sorely missed ... and who will I be able to disagree with smile.gif

Whatever you decide, I hope it's fulfilling and enjoyable for you. Your contributions here have always been sincerely appreciated and helpful.

I feel like someone waving at a friend sailing into the sunset, knowing their destiny isn't in my hands but hoping they will return soon, or at least someday. Bon voyage. All the very best.
  • Mike HuseltonMike Huselton Posts: 746
    edited 2008-03-13 02:10
    So we have driven deSilva out and kept the children. Oh, well, he will be back in some form, even just the Wikki to start with.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    JMH
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2008-03-13 02:36
    DeSilva,

We can never be either too wealthy or too British!!! I personally think that the United States was a British experiment that went slightly off course.

I would suggest abstracting your humor by a millimeter, but then you would have to explain it[noparse]:)[/noparse]

I feel like I know you ... and we have never met. I think that single fact says something about your writing style. Lots of guys hide behind implacable discussions filled with nothing but the driest facts. Not DeSilva!!!!

Trust me (I'm an American): Paul's comment was directed at and intended to encourage new comers to the forum... and was actually a compliment to you while trying to appear fair handed to all. I read it very carefully. You missed a nuance... that's it.

Luv ya (in a perfectly hetero sort of way).

I FORGOT: We have a new volunteer for the "deSilva treatment"... and his last name is listed in God's big book right next to Chip's!!!! What could be better?

Have an Oettinger and scurry back.

Rich

P.S.

If having Ken Gracey to kick around isn't good enough, I'll try to add some opportunities for you to "expound"... as only you can... and not have to worry about offending anyone.

PPSS... I'm also working on a book about assembly for new comers... and it will kick your book's *** all the way down the street[noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • Jim ColemanJim Coleman Posts: 52
    edited 2008-03-13 02:42
    Shane......Shane.......come back Shane!
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,261
    edited 2008-03-13 02:48
    DeSilva, this is a mistake.

PM me, if you want to talk about it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!

Chat in real time with other Propellerheads on IRC #propeller @ freenode.net
  • Shane De CataniaShane De Catania Posts: 67
    edited 2008-03-13 02:54
    tongue.gif Ha ha Yes my parents loved that film sooo much!
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2008-03-13 02:56
    DeSilva,

Dry wit and sarcasm combined with meaningful answers is appreciated in Ireland too.. Now that you have started you can't back out now ! Bring it on .....

John Twomey

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'

Post Edited (QuattroRS4) : 3/13/2008 11:05:50 AM GMT
    edited 2008-03-13 02:58
    DeSilva......DeSilva.......come back DeSilva! It hast quite got the same ring about it, but it helps keep this thread at the top of the list until we hear from you again DeSilva
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2008-03-13 03:03
    I've been discussing the need for a company dedicated to vertical integration with a guy a Parallax... if it ever happens, we will draft deSilva... why give him a choice?
  • QuattroRS4QuattroRS4 Posts: 916
    edited 2008-03-13 03:05
    So does this mean you have been beaten ... well there is always a first ! ... DeSilva cut the c**P and keep going ..

Rgds,
    John Twomey

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Necessity is the mother of invention'
  • computer guycomputer guy Posts: 1,113
    edited 2008-03-13 04:56
    DeSilva,

Feel free to stop answering questions, I have no problem with this.
    Yes, you have helped me in the past and I greatly appreciate this and it is a shame I won't be able to get more help from you in the future.

You have a lot of knowledge that this forum could benefit from and has in the past.

Please keep contributing to the forums, if not by answering questions than at least post information on your own projects.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Check out my robot using the propeller RECONAUTOR
    If you like my avatar then check this out Propeller Domed Stickers for sale
  • dfletchdfletch Posts: 165
    edited 2008-03-13 05:11
    This is why you should all come to IRC immediately tongue.gif

<dfletcher> I really liked Chip's reply @deSilva "And don't be embarrassed to start posting again, just because you made a big scene."
    <dfletcher> but it's hard once you've done something like that
    <dfletcher> deSilva's put himself in a little bit of an ackward spot
    <dfletcher> I'm going to start a betting pool: time until deSilva's next post :P
    <Harrison_> haha
    <dfletcher> I'll put $20 on 2 weeks
    <computer> lol

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Join us in the Un-Official Propeller IRC channel: irc.freenode.net #propeller
    Newbies, oldies, programmers, math professors, and everyone in-between welcome!
    Propeller IRC howto
    spinc - open source Spin compiler
  • AribaAriba Posts: 2,687
    edited 2008-03-13 07:36
    deSilva

I will miss your supporting comments ...
    I hope you still post in the german forum.

Andy
  • Nick MuellerNick Mueller Posts: 815
    edited 2008-03-13 07:37
    deSilva, your announcement sounds more like a cry for help than a real announcement.
    You know, more like people saying to commit suicide but in fact are calling for attention. smile.gif

Anyhow, its your decision.

And thanks for the fish ... sorry, the ASM tutorial. wink.gif

Nick

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Never use force, just go for a bigger hammer!

The DIY Digital-Readout for mills, lathes etc.:
    YADRO
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2008-03-13 08:39
    Ariba said...
    I hope you still post in the german forum.
    If is anything like the one at mikrocontroller.net... fat chance !

Hei deSilva, everyone stands with you here, so do not make us _beg_. btw, maybe too much Loriot after breakfast is just not _such_ a good idea...
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,510
    edited 2008-03-13 10:22
    Cue the puff of smoke

See you around mate

Graham

p.s. I would like an English-English translation of the book [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,510
    edited 2008-03-13 10:36
    I have an idea, everyone play along (cue humor).

Yes I heard that deSilva has left because he is too much of a wimp to keep posting, apparently a small child challenged him to program a basic stamp or something and he got scared. Some say that he can't stop being mean to beginners (I mean funny in an British way) because they have more demo boards than him.

Yeah I doubt he has the guts to return now, I guess computer guy will have to take over his role.
  • GadgetmanGadgetman Posts: 2,436
    edited 2008-03-13 11:16
    DeSilva, get back here right NOW!

Othervise I might have to start answering posts, and we don't want that, do we?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't visit my new website...
    edited 2008-03-13 11:33
    Ha ha ha... easy Graham!
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2008-03-13 13:51
    Editor speak-- March issue's lead story is set!
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2008-03-13 16:49
    Dear All:
    Well, what shall I say - I am DEEPLY moved!
    As you all knew I could not restrain from reading here, but as you all guessed there are MANY reasons for my move. Paul happened to be the jinx who put the last straw on the camels back smile.gif

I was not happy with Parallax's split customer care
    - for Europe (seemingly: let the distributors do it)
    - for the Propeller beginner (seemingly: let Mike do it)

I should like to post the Table of Contents for my Beginner's Book ("How to start with Microcontrolling using the Parallax Propeller") in the next days, and would be happy for your feed back!

What I do like is the just evolving habit to quote deSilva! My own favourite is:
    deSilva 2008-03-07 said...
    I could never imagine to buy something like a BasicStamp...
    I am a programmer. The Basic Stamp is for non-programmers.

That's one difference: The Stamp is the Ox.

The Propeller is the Dragon!

Nothing will fit in the beginning. You have to UNDERSTAND things before they will work. The good work of Parallax for the BasicStamp is no longer much help to you: How to interface this, how to interface that.. Who knows?

But people brought the Dragon down to earth: They extinguished his fire by water, SPIN, and BS2, and he is hampered in his flight. So don't be afraid of him any longer!

Though from time to time - when you become off guard - he will show you his claws!

Let's wait and see (and have a nice cup of tea in the meantime!)

Post Edited (deSilva) : 3/13/2008 5:06:36 PM GMT
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-03-13 17:10
    deSilva said...
    What I do like is the just evolving habit to quote deSilva! My own favourite is...
    Hmm, this could become recursive...

Okay, gulp down your tea and get your butt back here. There are many more reasons for you to stay, not least of which are the withdrawal symptoms we're all suffering! (I write this on my laptop from a fetal postion in the corner of my office.)

-Phil
  • ClemensClemens Posts: 236
    edited 2008-03-13 17:25
    Yeah, Phil's right.

What about·the·ImageCraft thread?
    Doesn't it tickle in your fingers.
    You know that one isn't a newbie-thread.
    I'm·just saying this because·some of your comments sounded like you didn't notice. tongue.gif

They'll be asking questions.
  • dfletchdfletch Posts: 165
    edited 2008-03-13 17:43
    Darn! There goes my $20 bet tongue.gif

Seriously, I'm glad you haven't deserted us entirely deSilva.

From the BBC (so you KNOW it's true):

"Tea is considered a delicacy in many parts of the Galaxy. However, the proliferation of Sirius Cybernetics Corporation Nutrimatic Machines has made it very hard to get a good cup of tea.

It is also a strong Brownian Motion producer. When a Brambleweeny57 sub-meson brain is linked to an atomic vector plotter suspended in a nice hot cup of tea, finite amounts of improbability are produced.

This scientific effect was used to manufacture the Infinite Improbability Drive that powers the Starship Heart of Gold."

Hopefully it also fuels deSilva's desire to continue posting in the forums!

Cheers,

--fletch

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Join us in the Un-Official Propeller IRC channel: irc.freenode.net #propeller
    Newbies, oldies, programmers, math professors, and everyone in-between welcome!
    Propeller IRC howto
    spinc - open source Spin compiler
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2008-03-13 18:28
    Silly remark deleted. Welcome back.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    jazzed·... about·living in·http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Valley

Traffic is slow at times, but Parallax orders·always get here fast 8)

Post Edited (jazzed) : 3/13/2008 7:20:29 PM GMT
    edited 2008-03-13 19:17
    “I’m getting old Gandalf. I know I don’t look it, but I am beginning to feel it in my heart. I feel thin, sort of stretched, like butter scraped over too much bread. I need a holiday, a very long holiday, I don’t think I’ll be returning, in fact I don't mean to.” [noparse][[/noparse]...] "All I want is find me a nice quiet place where I can finish my book."

Now havn't we heard all this before. smile.gif
  • StefanL38StefanL38 Posts: 2,292
    edited 2008-03-13 19:22
    hello,

maybe DeSilva wants to make a clear borderline. 0.000 answer-postings.
    And keep his focus on finishing the book.

Not spending time on answering questions (which can take hours and days
    to give a very good answer sometimes) delaying the finishing of the book.

So i try to be patient and i'm curios about the contents o fthe book

best regards

Stefan
    edited 2008-03-13 19:33
    Oh great, so everyone make his bet about the order of appearance:

1.) ImageCraft C compiler
    2.) Prop II
    3.) epmoyers howler
    4.) deSilvas book
  • Jimmy W.Jimmy W. Posts: 112
    edited 2008-06-17 02:59
    Just wanted to bump this and bring up the fact I miss DeSilva's humour and help, he is the one when I started that helped me figure out backing up non volatiles to the eeprom with CRC's.

I miss you DeSilva, drop in and say hi, I know you are subscribed to this thread [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Jimmy