Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
DeSilva's new Posting Policy — Parallax Forums

DeSilva's new Posting Policy

deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
edited 2008-06-17 02:59 in Propeller 1
Thank you for your requests! No, deSilva has not fallen sick, and also there will be no Easter Holidays for him smile.gif

But my humor is black - "british" as my friends call it - which does not match very well with the North-American kind of humor.

So after some introspection I have decided to no longer answer questions here - none. Also there is my book for "Beginners" (in German!) that must take attention, and other things.... I think I shall contribute from time to time to the WIKI where information is less volatile than here in this forum.

I have been accustomed to forums which are shaped by the contributors, but Paul explained very clearly, that this is not the case with the Parallax forums:
Paul Baker (Parallax) said...
... they are mainly geared towards users who are just beginning to people with a moderate amount of experience, and you don't fall within that range.

So OBC, Fred, Graham, Steven, Clemens, Phil, Hippy, and others - take care smile.gif And thank you for the nice time and the things I could learn from you!

Comments

• Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2008-03-12 20:30
    Curious what thread this quote from Paul was taken.
    I can't find those words with either search engine.

Desilva, We are confident that you will be lurking about.. [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    Any plans for an English translation of that book?

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Getting started with the Protoboard? - Propeller Cookbook 1.4
    Updates to the Cookbook are now posted to: Propeller.warrantyvoid.us
    Got an SD card? - PropDOS
    A Living Propeller FAQ - The Propeller Wiki
    (Got the Knowledge? Got a Moment? Add something today!)

• ColeyColey Posts: 1,110
    edited 2008-03-12 20:31
    You're not really leaving us are you Desilva?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    PropGFX Forums - The home of the Hybrid Development System and PropGFX Lite

Title_Logo_Small.jpg
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2008-03-12 20:40
    Well, that is a pity. I really enjoyed your knowledge, comments, posts, humour, usw. As I said in another of your posts, too many beginners, but we were and are also beginners, just not in the same areas. Alles Gute,

Ale
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,233
    edited 2008-03-12 20:43
    I'll miss by greatest source of amusement on this forum!
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-03-12 21:03
    Was f
  • HannoHanno Posts: 1,130
    edited 2008-03-12 21:16
    Very sorry to see you go- I really enjoyed your posts. Good luck with your book!
    Hanno
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2008-03-12 21:20
    One suspects a bruised newbie's complaint drew Paul's [noparse][[/noparse]f]ire in a private message.

My 2 cents: DeSilva, you're made of sterner stuff and still welcome here. If you get too nasty, (seldom IM|nHO), we'll rein you in. (Again).

On the other hand, staying current with this forum and weighing in on as many threads as DeS does is like playing at the foot of Niagra. After a while, no matter what slicker you wear, you drown. (In other words, taking a break is a good thing).
  • AbelAbel Posts: 15
    edited 2008-03-12 21:23
    Thank you·for all your contributions to the forums.··· Good luck.·
    edited 2008-03-12 21:28
    I too will miss that dry wit..
    (That sent me looking things up either in Google or a dictionary more than once. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Good Luck in your other efforts Desilva!

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

• Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,387
    edited 2008-03-12 21:32
    deSilva,

Bitte Aufenthalt hier. Ich werde die Hilfe ben
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2008-03-12 21:35
    Get real DeSilva! You're not getting me to say goodbye, but I will give you a paper tissue you big woose. You're just having a down day, get over it mate. As to your humor being black, where I come from it looks lighter than that, perhaps even a shade of pink smile.gif I understand about the problems we face when conversing over a forum, it's almost like you have to depersonalize yourself and program yourself as counselor. But we are big boys and I think all of us can handle it. Give a bit, take a bit.

So don't go, it's never too late. I don't find your comments offensive in the least plus you are always helpful and informative. Really, the forum wouldn't be the same without you, might even be a bit frustrating and boring at the same time. Easy up, I promise I won't compliment you too much as long as you stay.

*Peter*

P.S. and remember, I'm not saying goodbye nono.gif

Some DeSilva gems......

@Grasshopper: You have 82 postings; you already tried many programs: You shouldn't be a beginner any longer... Al right, lets start with your code.... (A) It seems you want to output some elements of...

@Landry, you have a funny view of the Propeller world.... The HUB manager is a part of the fastest hardware possible...The worst schedule time between two COGs is 100ns. But this has nothing to do...

I am well aware this thread will not further my popularity... But I recognize an increasing number of requests of the following kind: This code is generally crippled by missing indentation, omitted...
  • Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-03-12 21:36
    deSilva, I'm sorry if you got the impression that I was asking you to leave the forums, I did try my best to convey that this wasn't the case. We feel you have alot to offer the community and you are one of our most prolific members in this forum. I was simply trying to get you to change somethings that you were doing that has been upsetting our other customers. Alot of people enjoy your rapier wit, I was just asking you refrain from using it on the newbies. It would be quite regrettable if you decide to leave.

BTW your quote from my PM was taken out of context, that passage was in direct response to your comment that you found little benefit from Parallax's customer support (which we were discussing the forums being part of), and my response was stating that I didn't find that suprising since it's those who are just starting to intermediate skill level which find the most benefit from the forums. It was not me saying that we don't want people of a higher skill level on the forums, on the contrary they fill another vital role as answering other people's questions.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2008-03-12 21:41
    One of my favorite @Desilvas' (and perhaps applicable...)

"No, no, no. This had just been a tempest in a teapot caused by an offended Spanish Grande"

OBC

@Desilva...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9erqLEiGt0&feature=related

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    New to the Propeller?

Post Edited (Oldbitcollector) : 3/12/2008 9:47:57 PM GMT

• stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
    edited 2008-03-12 21:44
    deSilva, please don't go! Who will help me finish the graphics driver? The forums will be a sad place if you leave. Anyway, if you really are going thanks for all the help you have given me. I wouldn't know as much as I do now without you.
  • bambinobambino Posts: 789
    edited 2008-03-12 21:46
    Desilva, Wry humor or British ,as you say, is a mark, a rank if you will. Only by time and experience can these things be naturally aquired. Yes, you have popped off at me, and I popped back. That's life people, grow up and get used to it. I still am going to miss having you chime in at all hours of the night. We will suffer a great loss if you can't shake this off.
    If you just need time for your book, I do indeed understand. But please, at least, chime in and post your creations and discoveries from time to time. A lot of people use the forum just to announce what they are up to, and not necessarily to answer questions all the time.
    You have to do what Desilva has to do so good luck in your ventures. But if you want to come back and beat some sense into this member, your more than welcome sir!
  • Ann KenbutAnn Kenbut Posts: 2
    edited 2008-03-12 21:56
    I think he´s right. Let him write his book, we need it.
    Forum-work costs a lot of time, too much time to work continuesly.
  • Brian LBrian L Posts: 60
    edited 2008-03-12 22:01
    I hope you'll reconsider desilva. There are so few Prop programmers in the world who are up there on your level that we cannot afford to lose even one. Yes, I've suggested that more polite manners might help, but that's just because of the limitations of written communication. If we could have all seen your face and heard your tone of voice when you said some of the things you've said, I'm sure it could have prevented many misunderstandings. Some people just don't get the point of a friendly upbraiding, but I like it. So what if a few people have to be spoken to as if they were babies!!

Whenever you decide to come back, there will still be a lot of help needed here.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2008-03-12 22:11
    Thanks for your contributions. I wish you well with your Beginner's Book project. It's very much needed. Perhaps it can eventually be translated into American English.
  • ShawnRDShawnRD Posts: 10
    edited 2008-03-12 22:17
    As a 5 month old newbie to the Propeller,and microcontrollers in general,I have never had to post a question because of the many experienced programmers on this forum.As that number drops,so will my learning curve.
  • ClemensClemens Posts: 236
    edited 2008-03-12 22:30
    Shouldn't someone inform Mosquito? - At least he is going to have a Ball! lol.gif
    (Sorry about this political incorrectness but·I guess that should be·tolerated·in the grand finale thread of deSilva.)

Thanks for helping me so often, I guess I'll learn assembler now instead of following the forum all night.
    Do you know any good source for learning Machine Language? tongue.gif

Take care and let me know when the book is finished!
  • cgraceycgracey Posts: 14,133
    edited 2008-03-12 22:40
    Yeah, DeSilva!

Take a break if you need to, but don't just disappear.

You are wanted back here by·all of us at·Parallax. Your role as provocateur and common nemesis has molded the forum and has helped to make things especially interesting and educational for many of us. Even for newbies who don't know what you're talking about, it still makes·for spicy reading. And I've always found your third-person self-references intriguing, putting me on high-alert, wondering what I might read next.

And don't be embarrassed to start posting again, just because you made a big scene.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Chip Gracey
    Parallax, Inc.
  • TheWizard65TheWizard65 Posts: 91
    edited 2008-03-12 23:21
    By all means Desilva Please take a break and come back. PLEASE!!! Im half Irish and German. Your comments don't bother me in the least. Your a great asset to the forum.
  • Shane De CataniaShane De Catania Posts: 67
    edited 2008-03-12 23:27
    DeSilva, you're being silly now... something we don't normally expect from you. I will accept your resignation from this forum now, but I expect to see you announce your big come back in the very near future! Hey, if Eric Claptout, Pink Floyd and The Spice Girls can come back, so can you. Now if putting you on the same level as the Spice Girls doesn't prompt a response from you I will be very disappointed. If you're troubled about the American's not getting your sense of humour (we all have to tip toe around them a little! SARCASM guys - before you flame me! ), you could always just post in the Aussie Info thread - we get it!
    Enough said wink.gif
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2008-03-12 23:30
    DeSilva, enjoy the break, but like so many have said, don't leave, who knows, I may one day get a PAL display even you would be proud to use in a project [noparse];)[/noparse]

All the best of luck with your book matey.

Baggers.
  • stevenmess2004stevenmess2004 Posts: 1,102
    edited 2008-03-12 23:35
    Shane said...
    you could always just post in the Aussie Info thread - we get it!
    Shane, I like that idea. Then we would have him all to ourselves and wouldn't have to wait while he was checking other threads. smile.gif

And deSilva, I do understand how much time this forum can take up. It turns all your free time (and other time) into not free timesmile.gif
  • dfletchdfletch Posts: 165
    edited 2008-03-12 23:43
    deSilva: if you want something a bit different, you're always welcome to stop by the IRC channel and flame the forums tongue.gif

Just kidding. Seriously though, it's a great way to keep in touch in a casual way. Please do stop by again soon!

The forums just won't be the same place without you.

Cheers,

--fletch

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Join us in the Un-Official Propeller IRC channel: irc.freenode.net #propeller
    Newbies, oldies, programmers, math professors, and everyone in-between welcome!
    Propeller IRC howto
    spinc - open source Spin compiler
    edited 2008-03-12 23:46
    Great minds think alike Steve, apparently! We could adopt DeSilva as an honorary Australian... we did it with Tom Cruse - Oh hang on, we gave him back after that Oprah interview... well there's Russell Crow - ah yes well we had to send him back to NZ after that phone throwing thing... Ok forget them - DeSilva, we will keep you!
  • RinksCustomsRinksCustoms Posts: 531
    edited 2008-03-13 00:25
    I'll admit sometimes Desilva's answers are a bit cryptic even to an intermediate sometimes... some days later after staring at his reply to a problem like an egyptologist inside a pyramid, It just pops into place. And then i go "DE DEDE!!" -carlos mencia. No doubt Desilva and I have had a few heated moments on the forums, but i think it was just from lack of not being face to face (or cam to cam so to speak), but I agree that his humor earns a C- but his technical knowledge is an A++... We will miss you Desilva on your leave, thanks for straightening me out on more than a few misconceptions.

Michael

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    E3 = Thought

http://folding.stanford.edu/·- Donating some CPU/GPU downtime just might lead to a cure for cancer! My team stats.
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2008-03-13 01:16
    Well a come back post would be a great place to promote a new book.

I mostly respect your opinion and understand how this place can stick ya'.
    As far as this great forum goes, I figure you get what you pay for with
    "open sores support" just like "open source software" [noparse]:)[/noparse]

"Cancel command not found. Enter ? for help."
    .... Good luck deSilva.

PS: That Orwellian sheep watching the "No SPIN Zone" cracks me up [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    jazzed·... about·living in·http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silicon_Valley

Traffic is slow at times, but Parallax orders·always get here fast 8)
    edited 2008-03-13 01:42
    jazzed - I thought no one would notice! wink.gif