Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
BS2pe MoBo and Daughterboard mechanical specs needed. — Parallax Forums

BS2pe MoBo and Daughterboard mechanical specs needed.

fstefffsteff Posts: 6
edited 2008-08-15 07:24 in BASIC Stamp
Hi,

I'm about to design some daughterboards for the BS2pe MoBo, but are missing some crucial information.
I've had contact with Parallax, but they do not have any official info to send out, and they do not want to digg out the specifications I need. :-(

I'm still waiting for the BS2pe's to arrive, but have to start working on the daughterboards ASAP, therefore I hope some of the users of this forum can help answering these questions.

All of these questions are crucial for anybody who wants to design their own daughterboards!

Related to the BS2pe:
1. Size of the BS2pe MoBo. (Including maximum height of components).
2. Location of the 8 mounting holes
3. Location of the 12 pin Daughterboard Sockets. (Relative to the mounting holes?)
4. Type of the Daughterboard Sockets. Perhaps (compatible) datasheet?
5. Location of the USB connector. (Relative to the mounting holes)
6. Location of the Power connector. (Relative to the mounting holes)
7. Type of the Power connector. Perhaps (compatible) datasheet?

Related to the BS2pe daughterboards:
8. Size of the BS2pe Daughterboard.
9. Location of the 4 mounting holes.
10. Location of the 12 pin Daughterboard header. (Relative to the mounting holes)
11. Type of the Daughterboard header. Perhaps (compatible) datasheet?

Question 1 is partially answered on the BS2pe product info on Parallax's site: 2.75" x 1.35" (69.9mm x 34.3mm).
Question 8 is partially answered on the Power Input daughterboard product info on Parallax's site: 1.35" (34.3mm) square.

Thanks in advance!

--
Flemming

Comments

• fstefffsteff Posts: 6
    edited 2008-03-07 15:12
    Since my previous post I've found out a few things by myself:

Answers to Quantion 4, 7 and 11 are partly documented in the BS2pe specifications pdf document.
    I've derived the following info:

Answer to Question 4:
    The type of the daughterboard sockets used on the Motherboard are mentioned to be Hirose DF11-12DP-2DSA(24), but according to Hiroses own datasheet, it's more likely to be Hirose DF11-12DS-2DSA(01).
    An SMT alternative might be Hirose DF11-12DS-2V.
    (Specs: http://www.hirose-connectors.com/connectors/H205SeriesGaiyou.aspx?c1=DF11&c3=3)

Answer to Question 7:
    The type of the receptacle fitting the power-connector on the BS2pe is specified to be a Hirose DF3-2EP-2C.
    This means the header on the BS2pe probably is a Hirose DF3-2S-2DS.
    (Specs: http://www.hirose-connectors.com/connectors/H205SeriesGaiyou.aspx?c1=DF3&c3=3)

Answer to Question 11:
    Based on the answer to Question 4, the Daughterboards headers are probably Hirose DF11-12DP-2DSA(01).
    An SMT alternative might be Hirose DF11-12DP-2V.
    (Specs: http://www.hirose-connectors.com/connectors/H205SeriesGaiyou.aspx?c1=DF11&c3=3)

I still hope others can help me provide the last of the missing info.

Question 2, 3, 5, 6, 9 and 10 are still open.

--
    Flemming
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2008-03-07 16:53
    The attached drawing should answer your questions. Good luck with your daughterboard project! (Can you tell us what it is?)

-Phil

Update: Added hole size and hole clearance data to PDF.

Post Edited (Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)) : 3/7/2008 10:03:47 PM GMT
    edited 2008-03-07 22:02
    PDF has been updated from original post...

-Phil
    edited 2008-03-08 00:21
    Thanks a lot Phil.
    That document will be a lifesaver!

The daughterboard I'm about to make will be for a very specific task, and will probably not be usefull for anybody but my customer.
    It will contain 16 amplified photodiodes each directly connected to an ADC. I'll use DS2450, and make them absolutly addressable by using three DS2409's. Each daughterboard will have a pass-through daughterboard connector, allowing for up to 4 of these boards to be connected. They will only power and S1, S2, S3 and S4 from the Motherboard connector, so other boards may be connected if needed.
    Since it's such a specific task, designed to fit a specific design, it probably won't be usefull for anybody else, but parts of the schematics may be. I'll publish whatever I can when it's done.

Best regards, and weekend greetings,

--
    Flemming
    edited 2008-03-08 00:41
    Wow, that is specialized! (It reminds me of a very similar design I laid out for a customer many years ago for color-sorting fruit.) I assume from your description that the daughterboard will be significantly larger than the standard 1.35" x 1.35".

-Phil
    edited 2008-03-08 09:53
    Phil,

I expect them to be same size on one direction, and about 50 to 100% larger on the other direction.

Time will tell exactly how much room I'll need. :-D

--
    Flemming
    edited 2008-08-14 14:23
    It's been a while since I initially asked for the MoboStamp-PE measurements, and also since I discussed this project.
    The project has been done for some time, but I simply didn't have time to update you on it.
    And as the project is done for a customer, I can't share more then a few pictures of the final product with you.

The original 1.35" x 1.35" size turned out to be almost enough. I had to expand it length ways almost 1 mm, but in this application it's no problem.
    A more crucial problem, was that I had to remove one of the mounting holes to fit the SMD socket.

The PCB is 2.6 mm thick, and the light-guide is milled 1 mm into the PCB.

I made a powerpoint drawing with measurements in millimeters, as I had a hard time with the one using inches. It might be usefull for others, so I'm attaching it here.
    As I couldn't upload the PowerPoint file, I've had to rename it. Please remove the txt extension to see it: MoboStamp-pe_dim_EU.ppt.txt

Thanks for the help I got here!

--
    Flemming
    569 x 614 - 326K
    802 x 409 - 283K
    593 x 432 - 199K
    edited 2008-08-14 18:19
    Flemming,

Hmm, I see some empty space in one corner of your board, up by "FR4". Did you leave something out?

(Just kidding! smile.gif )

Wow! That's one compactly laid-out design! Very nicely done! Is the lightguide a custom fabrication? Can you reveal the application?

-Phil

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    'Still some PropSTICK Kit bare PCBs left!
    edited 2008-08-15 07:24
    Phil,

Thanks. It turned out to be a pretty tight squeeze. But as you mention, there's still room for some optimization. smile.gif (Which I won't do!)

The light-guide is custom, and used in my customers application to ensure separation of their 4x16 light sources, which is build into their product.
    The board I made was for calibration and test of the light sources during production.

--
    Flemming