Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Building Blocks - A starting point for new propers. - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Building Blocks - A starting point for new propers.

2»

Comments

• deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2008-03-01 12:10
    I had weeks of discussion with Franz Achatz in September/October about such modules. I think we had a good concept... Main issue was mechanical stability, broken pins, space allocation on the breadboard, compatibility to DIL-pinout, etc., all solved so far...

The other problem was that it were so low cost (around $2), it would be difficult to earn anything with it... We even thought of only selling in packages of 10...

Modules are/were power supply (3V/5V/mixed), PS/2, VGA, TV, Delta-Sigma, audio decoupling, audio amplifier, serial I/O, low cost FT232, ENC ethernet, XBee.

As Franz had been abducted by aliens or whatever, I could not follow that path any longer.

In the meantime it had turned out that using sockets is not the perfect solution for breadboards. So my new concept uses cut extension cords and lots of hot melting adhesive, which works extremely fine.
  • JoergJoerg Posts: 91
    edited 2008-03-01 16:29
    Those building blocks are the idea i prefer since years!

So i designed some for the Freescale HC(S)08 MCUs called HC(S) System. Last year i "opened" it to PICs and now for
    PROPELLERs.

The system is based on a 10 pin double row connector (a 8 bit port plus VCC and GND) as this is usual for common MCUs.
    The interconnection now are done either via 10pin flat cables or single wires with contacts on both ends (crimped or soldered).

The PCBs are mostly single sided so i can mill them without plating an i can save much at the prototype level.

If there is any interest look:

www.systech-gmbh.ch -> UMDL

I'm also interested in collaborating, because a) it is more fun working together and b) together we could create a more useful system.

Saluti Joerg

Some example of the system
    640 x 367 - 31K
    640 x 350 - 25K
    640 x 360 - 46K
    500 x 437 - 13K
  • computer guycomputer guy Posts: 1,113
    edited 2008-03-01 23:05
    deSilva,

I still believe that there is a need for such modules.
    Think of it this way.
    You could add a pin header to your proto board and have a servo style wire running from the proto board to the modules.
    edit: Therefore adding audio, Video out, etc would not take up extra space on the actual board (except the pin header).

The boards I make will include the following-

Module PCB (fully populated)
    Pin header
    Servo style wire

Depending on the module it may also include some extras. smile.gif

Expressions of interest are needed. smile.gif

Thank you smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Check out my robot using the propeller RECONAUTOR
    If you like my avatar then check this out Propeller Domed Sticker

Post Edited (computer guy) : 3/1/2008 11:15:52 PM GMT
  • labsmokelabsmoke Posts: 38
    edited 2008-03-02 09:32
    Doesent the prop proto board allready support all of the functions you need to use?

and in my opinion the proto board is fairly slim as it is.. =P

maybe im just being negative or im missunderstanding the concept..=P

and another good thing about surface-mounted components is the higher electro technical stability with ground planes and lower current consumption..

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Sometimes you have to rest your persuit of happiness and just be happy.

Post Edited (labsmoke) : 3/2/2008 9:40:44 AM GMT
    edited 2008-03-02 09:57
    If you read my last message in this thread it may make more sense.
    http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=712757

The idea of the modules is fast and easy add-on functions.
    If not needed later you just have to unplug.
    There is no extra space taken up on your project.

Thank you smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-03-02 10:42
    Well, yes.. i did make a little more sense, it seems like an good idea. Im all for building your own platforms, we all have different needs and different applications.. I for·instance had to build my own developement platform or "protoboard" if you may.

since·i build microprocessor·based applications professionally im i need of being able to switch between different platforms and compilers and can not always stick with the propeller othought i would·prefer the prop in many many ways..=P

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2008-03-02 10:55
    May be there is really a misunderstanding:
    I am the most ambitious supporter of solderles breadboards for "starting". In my class we do everything with it. Due to the limitations of the mechanical construction of the breadboards you NEED additional "modules".

I have a complete concept for such modules (see image further above) , taking into account many aspects - as I said above - especially the pin-out of the Propeller DIP.

There had been little interest here in the forum, so I did not undertake the trouble to make english versions of this concept. On the other hand this is so extremely low-cost - using tiny splitters of veroboards - that "selling" them was no business case, other than adding 500% of the cost...

The third thing I pointed to was that using cut extension cords is more practical than using plugs...
    edited 2008-03-02 11:10
    deSilva,

I don't understand what you mean by "cut extension cord".

I am offering professional modules that can not only be used on breadboard but can be used in the final project as well.
    I am currently working on an entire development system that will utilise these modules.
    All I am wanting to know is would people be interested in purchasing them separately for their own use.

Thank you smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-03-02 16:51
    I feel i have to comment a bit on this subject aswell, im afraid i have to go with deSilvas·observation about the price these modules.. i mean come on.. where talking about some caps and resistors on a pcb... everybody on this forum can easily make these circuits on their own.. i you want to sell handy modules for development or even for serial production, put some communication in it.

the only reason people (or me at least) would like to buy·simple modules, is if they can save either a lot of programming time or program space...or cost..take the GPS modules for instance.. where you narrow down the communication from a wide bus to a simple, easy adressable SPI interface..

what i mean is,·ok,·i can understand that it would be neat with these modules if you are doing a lab in a school for instance..plug and play concept..it works.. but i have hard to believe that someone would buy these to put on a board for production..

maybe im just being negative as usual, but it seems a bit...light...i would never order a board like that and wait a week for shipment instead of putting some extra caps and resistors on my project..=P

im sure it would sell, but it wont be any big turnovers in the busniess like that as deSilva pointed out...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Post Edited (labsmoke) : 3/2/2008 4:58:37 PM GMT
  • datacpsdatacps Posts: 139
    edited 2008-03-02 21:11
    I am interested in any plug-in already made. I am new to the prop and Highly recomend the starter kit. The manul shows you step by step how to program the prop and how it works. I love it and I am hooked on it now... Computer guy do what you think will be fun for you and other new starters to the prop. The bottom line here is to learn about the prop and what it can do. If you have modules that can just plug in it will take away assembling some circuits and the individual can focus more on the programing the prop. I love to assemble circuits but would like to focus on the program instead of building the circuits for right now. Thanks to members like you we have a place to start from. Your site is great . Thank you for taking time to make it and give us new starters a path to follow. Also thanks to the other members and experts here for their support. This is what makes Parrallax the only place I go to.. I will be posting some question on reading a keypad and generating a freqout upto 30 Mhz. I am looking around first to see if i can find examples to start from. Thanks guys
    edited 2008-03-02 21:29
    Thank you all for your feedback. smile.gif
    I think I will still continue with this as it will go well with the dev board that is in the works.
    Glad I could help datacps.
    I look forward to hearing about your projects in the future. smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-03-03 06:58
    A bit of advice, if youre gonna be making plugin modules in a dev enviroment, please consider to make some modules with LCD support, like the standard HD44780 lcd driver.

because one thing ive really missed is having a small screen for debugging, its not always efficient with being forced to use a vga screen if you want to debug som small thing.

and a lcd is fairly ennoying to have to plugin just for some small debugging. i made my own dev platform just for the sake of a more debugging freindly enviroment. my platform has prop, pic16f877, pic16f84, and pic 12f8xx integrated in it with internal switches for programming them all..all exept the prop witch has a separate programming jack.. but one neat feature on my "proto board" or "proto box" is the multi boot option i have integrated with 3 different eeproms for the prop. (different grounding options selects different eeproms).

and a gel-battery with up to 7 hours constant run with backlight on both displays. and all the BNC-jacks have individual prescalers for measuring frequencys up to 400 mhz..=P

Heres a pic on it if your interested...

http://forumbilder.se/show.aspx?iid=262008114811A3eaf

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2008-03-03 07:01
    I won't tell you too much, however my dev board will have a large breadboard. wink.gif
    Will try to incorporate a small screen for debug.

Thank you smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-03-27 10:19
    I have added a projects page.
    This will have details on all the projects I am working on.

At the moment I have added a page for the TV IRC Client on this page you will be able to chat on the #propeller IRC channel as well as control my propeller chip and view it via a webcam.

IRC page under construction

Thank you smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    If you like my avatar then check this out Propeller Domed Stickers for sale

Building Blocks To The Propeller Chip

Post Edited (computer guy) : 3/27/2008 10:24:13 AM GMT
    edited 2008-04-02 09:56
    The IRC page is complete.
    robot.tmcp.com.au/buildingblock/projects/ircbot.htm

You can now join the #propeller IRC channel, control and watch the propeller IRC bot in action.

Thank you smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2008-04-03 06:01
    I have updated the IRC page to be less invasive upon loading. You now have to open the chat and video functions using a button.

Please feel free to test it out. tongue.gif

Thank you smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔