Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Fellow PAL Prop'ers rejoice :) — Parallax Forums

Fellow PAL Prop'ers rejoice :)

BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
edited 2008-01-09 15:24 in Propeller 1
Coley and myself have been busy, We have come up with a TV driver that shows a still non-colour-rippling image in PAL to match that of NTSC [noparse]:D[/noparse]

PropPalDemo.jpg

So, can ALL you PAL·region Prop'ers test this new example out on your TV's and give feedback.

Cheers,
Baggers.

Comments

• Mike_GTNMike_GTN Posts: 106
    edited 2008-01-06 15:36
    Wow!!! Will look forward to testing this out. Well done both smile.gif

Regards

Mike.

PS So their is life after NTSC wink.gif
  • BaggersBaggers Posts: 3,019
    edited 2008-01-06 15:39
    Thanks, Mike, yeah, there finally is life after NTSC [noparse]:D[/noparse]

You'll be surprised how STILL it is, there's absolutely NO ripple on the tv's I've tested anyway, which is why I'm asking for other PAL users to test, before committing it to the world [noparse]:)[/noparse] and changing all my tv drivers to use this.

PS Manic Miner and Jetpac, and all the others, look far better now in PAL mode [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Baggers.
  • LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2008-01-06 16:04
    I just tried it, but it doesn't sync properly on my LCD monitor on the PAL setting - the top 2/3 is the bottom of the frame and the bottom 1/3 is the top. It's quite stable, though. It's OK when set to NTSC.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Amateur radio callsign: G1HSM
    Suzuki SV1000S motorcycle

Post Edited (Leon) : 1/6/2008 4:09:27 PM GMT
    edited 2008-01-06 16:06
    OK, Cheers Leon, does your LCD Monitor display anything running PAL60 ?
  • Mike_GTNMike_GTN Posts: 106
    edited 2008-01-06 16:10
    Hi Jim,

Just done a quick test with your Binary. The output does look good, it looks very good actually. Was waiting for the nasty colour
    ringing, bleeding etc. Try as I might, I never saw it turn.gif

I tested with a Sony PVM and a cheap Hitachi 14" Portable that does not do NTSC so previously was A black and white display.
    For me this driver works very well smilewinkgrin.gif

Shall have to tell people that this is now the device to use. For me at least this makes the chip much more interesting!

Both very well done on this project.

With best regards

Mike.
    edited 2008-01-06 16:16
    Baggers said...
    OK, Cheers Leon, does your LCD Monitor display anything running PAL60 ?
    It's only a cheap little LCD unit (~3") with a single PAL/NTSC switch. I'd try it on my TV but I can't find the lead I need.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-01-06 16:22
    Thanks again Mike [noparse]:)[/noparse] glad it works well for you, it cetainly does make it more inviting for PAL projects. now that it's a still image [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Leon, Ok, thanks for the feedback, one down, so far,
    although thinking more into it, the NTSC setting must be working a PAL60 too, because the Phase Alternating is going on in that demo, so I guess you could say it's working [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    so in NTSC mode is it changing colour all the time? or is it static?, if it's static, I'm happy [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2008-01-06 16:30
    @Baggers,
    could you explain what you have done? I don't like binaries....
  • DroneDrone Posts: 433
    edited 2008-01-06 16:31
    Doesn't work for me at all. Suspect the .binary is using a different basepin for video D/A. Does "Graphics_Demo_ProtoDemo.binary" assume pin 12 as the start pin (1.1k resistor) as in the Prop demo board? My video out basepin is 20. Rgds...
  • ColeyColey Posts: 1,110
    edited 2008-01-06 16:37
    @Drone

You are correct the video basepin is 12 for the Demoboard and Protoboard.

@deSilva

It is encoded for PAL60 - 525 Lines but with PAL colour burst timing
    We have tried in vain for PAL-I 50Hz but we can't reduce the colour crawl enough to a satisfactory level.
    This I suppose is a compromise and we are lucky enough in Europe to have displays that can accept this signal.
    I myself have tested it on several professional quality composite monitors with great results.

Regards,

Coley

Post Edited (Coley) : 1/6/2008 4:42:10 PM GMT
    edited 2008-01-06 16:50
    Drone, I'll do a pin 20 version for you.

Try that.

Baggers.
    edited 2008-01-06 16:51
    It's quite stable on the NTSC setting.

Leon

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    edited 2008-01-06 16:52
    Cool, Cheers Leon for the feedback [noparse];)[/noparse]
  • CardboardGuruCardboardGuru Posts: 443
    edited 2008-01-06 16:55
    Hi Baggers,

No output at all on the Hydra. Switched back to an NTSC game to make sure I have everything still working, and it was fine. Double check your pin settings for the Hydra target?

This is a bog standard Sony UK CRT TV. If there's anything remotely like a PAL signal it should recognise it.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Help to build the Propeller wiki - propeller.wikispaces.com
    Play Defender - Propeller version of the classic game
    Prop Room Robotics - my web store for Roomba spare parts in the UK
    edited 2008-01-06 16:57
    Coley said...
    It is encoded for PAL60 - 525 Lines but with PAL colour burst timing. This I suppose is a compromise and we are lucky enough in Europe to have displays that can accept this signal.
    I myself have tested it on several professional quality composite monitors with great results.

Thus it will most likely NOT work with David's low cost PAL only device :-(
    But it is a great thing to have am acceptable quality on living room TVs!
    I shall change my TV.spin accordingly.
    edited 2008-01-06 17:02
    CardboardGuru, Ah, forgot to disable mouse pin12 for hydra version, will repost, in a bit, just about to have tea. biab
    edited 2008-01-06 17:31
    @CardboardGuru

Try this binary instead, it should work ok on Hydra (I've disabled the mouse for you)

Regards,

Coley
  • ClemensClemens Posts: 236
    edited 2008-01-06 18:47
    looks supercrisp on my little pal sony trinitron and demoboardish-protoboard.
    wow.
    why are the dogs 'n' stars·not rotating? ;-)
    too bad it's just the binary... ;-) ;-) ;-)
    edited 2008-01-06 19:06
    Hi Clemens,

They don't rotate to demonstrate the crispness of the display, you wouldn't be able to see how sharp it is whilst it's moving.

Anyway the changes are so simple you'll all be kicking yourselves! (I know I Did!) tongue.gif

It would appear that the change is a success so a big thanks for all your input!

Attached is the modified tv.spin

Regards,

Coley

<EDIT> Attached updated tv.spin with file header amended to show the changes made

Post Edited (Coley) : 1/6/2008 7:57:13 PM GMT
    tv.spin 29.2K
  • ClemensClemens Posts: 236
    edited 2008-01-06 19:34
    Thank you Coley!

THIS IS ABSOLUTELY GREAT!!!
    edited 2008-01-06 19:40
    Hmm.. the visible lines in PAL was the change I also did - successlessly (monitor was helpless in the botton 15% of the screen. Your additional change with spal makes no difference....

BTW: can you indicate a change in the file header, please.

Edit: Same effect with the Hydra binary.
    I use an auto sync PAL/NTSC monitor... For some reason it is damn sure it's PAL he gets, switches in PAL mode and expects 560 lines....

Post Edited (deSilva) : 1/6/2008 8:53:20 PM GMT
    edited 2008-01-06 19:53
    @deSilva

Now that I am beginning to understand PAL TV timings I intend to have another look at this driver and work on optimising the 50Hz mode.
    This is a simple change that gives us a usable PAL display for the time being.
    deSilva said...
    BTW: can you indicate a change in the file header, please.

oops, my bad. I will do this straight away!

Best regards,

Coley
    edited 2008-01-06 20:34
    Low and hehold, the Propeller hat in all it's Solid PAL none dot-crawl·glory [noparse]:)[/noparse] on our PropGFX Lite in mode 256x192 16 colour ( I've taken the sprites off as they spoilt the hat )

PropHat.jpg
  • HarleyHarley Posts: 997
    edited 2008-01-06 21:07
    Baggers with another sweet 'Lift Off' image. And in PAL, for the non-USA'ers.

Can much else be left for Prop II? YES!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Harley Shanko

Post Edited (Harley) : 1/6/2008 9:12:34 PM GMT
    edited 2008-01-06 21:52
    Thanks Harley [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Yeah, not much left for PropII except MORE POWER and more ram, so can have double buffered 320x200 256 Colour bitmap without worrying about using up all the available ram, it'll still have 128KB left from the 256KB ram, ( that's if Chip doesn't have more surprises in store [noparse]:)[/noparse] ) I can't wait to be unleashed on that puppy [noparse];)[/noparse] I have so many ideas in my head I wanna try on PropII

PS, Harley, how about a Mandelbrot?

Mandelbrot.jpg
    edited 2008-01-06 21:54
    Baggers, you are such a tease!

Don't panic Harley it's only a picture it's not generated on the fly.....yet!

Coley
  • CardboardGuruCardboardGuru Posts: 443
    edited 2008-01-06 22:04
    Hi Coley,

Thanks, the replacement binary works perfectly on the Hydra.

Could you explain exactly what the breakthrough is here. The standard parallax driver has a flag for PAL, did that not work? I can't remember if I ever tried it or not.

By reading about PAL60, it would seem that there is an advantage in that the vertical resolution is the same as NTSC, and the refresh rate the same, such that it's easy to have games working at the same res and speed in PAL as with NTSC, But with the advantage that the horizontal resolution is better as is colour reproduction. Is that what this is about?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Help to build the Propeller wiki - propeller.wikispaces.com
    Play Defender - Propeller version of the classic game
    Prop Room Robotics - my web store for Roomba spare parts in the UK
    edited 2008-01-06 22:07
    CardboardGuru,

Yeah, there's lots of benfits, being same resolution, 256x192 now also fills same screen coverage as NTSC does,
    But the MAIN feature of this, is the fact that we no longer have horrible dot-crawl for PAL displays [noparse];)[/noparse]

Baggers.
    edited 2008-01-06 22:16
    Hi CardboardGuru,

This came about after preliminary tests with PropGFX Lite, I was unhappy with the PAL - I 50Hz output.
    TBH I normally run ally my apps in NTSC as there is a lot less colour dot crawl.
    We had to find a solution as not everyone has a TV that can display NTSC as well as PAL.

So the original driver does have a PAL flag and when you set that flag the resulting PAL display is poor.
    There have been numerous discussions about the quality of said PAL images on these forums already....

Because PAL can handle another 100 lines the resulting display is 'squashed' into a smaller space on the screen, this I believe is where the root of the problem lies.
    All that we have done is to change the TV metrics to reflect a 60Hz signal but keeping the PAL subcarrier colour information, the result is PAL60.

It proves that the Prop can do PAL well, just not at 50Hz......not yet anyway!

Regards,

Coley
  • Ym2413aYm2413a Posts: 630
    edited 2008-01-06 22:22
    In a perfect world, every country would agree on the same video standard.
    In the real world, every country can't even agree on anything. *lol*

I didn't even know there was a PAL-60hz. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Share the knowledge: propeller.wikispaces.com
    Lets make some music: www.andrewarsenault.com/hss