Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Prop II packaging — Parallax Forums

Prop II packaging

Brian LBrian L Posts: 60
edited 2008-01-13 15:43 in Propeller 1
I was just reading the Prop II wiki page and noticed that there is not going to be a DIP package for it. I understand that it's size would be too large to be practical for inclusion into most final product designs, but what about prototyping on a breadboard? How will the Prop II packages lend themselves to that? Unless my memory is failing me, I believe there have been some (nearly) candy bar sized DIP's on the market before. Wasn't the original Motorola 68000 sold in a rather large 68 pin DIP? A 40 acre breadboard is only about 30 bucks and easily has space to handle such a device, so why not?

But hopefully there is some other solution for prototyping using the packages that will be offered, and the "breadboard crisis" is only in my imagination. If I'm just dreaming up a non-existent problem here, then perhaps somebody could help straighten me out on it.

Comments

• Paul BakerPaul Baker Posts: 6,351
    edited 2008-01-03 01:02
    We will make sure that hobbyist friendly development platforms will be availible. Those old huge dip packages are not availible by packaging houses anymore.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker
    Propeller Applications Engineer

Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Paul Baker (Parallax)) : 1/3/2008 1:08:45 AM GMT
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2008-01-03 01:05
    Have a look here, Brian: Nice pictures of what is possible:
    olimex.com/dev/maxq-h2000.html maxq-h2000a.jpg
    olimex.com/dev/avr-h128.html
    olimex.com/dev/msp-h449.html
  • Brian LBrian L Posts: 60
    edited 2008-01-03 01:06
    But what does that mean exactly? Perhaps something like a Prop Stick USB maybe? And breadboard compatible?

OK thanks desilva.
    edited 2008-01-03 01:09
    We haven't determined exactly what it means yet, you can be pretty much assured of a ProtoBoard style offering at a reduced price (iow it would cost you more if you made it yourself).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2008-01-03 01:42
    OK. I pretty much figured there would be a protoboard, but I didn't realize that the candy-bar DIPs were out of style and gone. But still, if you guys were taking a vote on it, I'd cast my lot in favor of also offering a large breadboard-ready device, constructed much like the Prop Stick, but much more bare-bones, and cheaper.

I assume you could do that in whatever size you wanted, couldn't you?

To save cost the user would use his own Prop Plug or Clip. The crystal and EEPROM would be in sockets so users could change them out for different speeds or more memory above what gets loaded at boot-up. Then user storage space is optional by buying another EEPROM. Even the voltage regulator, the reset button and the LED's on the current Prop Stick could be omitted to make this device really cheap, since carelessness and haste often cause a lot of burned up components on breadboards. Maybe you could even sell it without any crystal or EEPROM in the sockets. Or for that matter, maybe just omit the sockets and force the user to install his own crystal and EEPROM on the breadboard instead. Then it's just Prop II mounted on a chunk of circuit board to mimic the size and shape of a DIP.

I suppose you guys already thought of all this anyway, but in case you're undecided, count this as my vote in favor of a breadboard device. I think it would be a good seller, but only as a cheap thing, and not so full featured like the existing Prop Stick USB.
  • hippyhippy Posts: 1,981
    edited 2008-01-03 02:12
    My experience (UK) has been that it's cheaper to buy the ProtoBoard than a DIP chip then add my own Eeprom, crystal, regulators etc. As Parallax have the economies of scale, my vote goes for including Eeprom, crystal and regulator ( preferably 3V3, and anything lower than 3V3 at least ) on the carrier board. All surface mount; anyone who needs anything else can probably cope with one of the other packaging options.

For hobby and home users it's ease of use as well as lowest cost desired, and lowest cost does not necessarily mean bare minimum on-board.
  • GavinGavin Posts: 134
    edited 2008-01-03 02:34
    68 or 84 pin PLCC package, plenty of room for large dies, internal EEPROM?

I have used lots of·68hcxx micros in PLCC packaging.
    Prototyping can be done by using through hole PLCC sockets.
    Harder to use on vero boards but ok on matrix pcbs.
    ·
    edited 2008-01-03 03:20
    plcc is almost dinosaur as well, I only remember 1 maybe 2 plcc packages on the list. There may be PropStick type offering, it's way too early too speculate, one thing though, it would be considerably more expensive than the ProtoBoard version.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • deSilvadeSilva Posts: 2,967
    edited 2008-01-03 03:24
    smile.gif considerably...
    edited 2008-01-03 04:34
    I guess what Hippy said makes good sense, because just omitting the Prop Plug alone would save on a component that most experimenters would already have to own anyway. But even with the cost being more than a ProtoBoard I'd still be willing to pay that to get the ease of use that you get on a breadboard. It's worth it to quickly do a lot of things without having to fire up a soldering iron for everything you want to try out.

Don't get me wrong, because I like the ProtoBoards and I think they are a smoking good deal. I can already see myself buying quite a few of them, but I see them as the second step in most projects, and the breadboard version as step one. Just my personal preference. And what would really make it sweet would be if the stick version were just barely wide enough to allow the user to install the ProtoBoard Accessory kit on as an option. Or better yet, a separate carrier board just for the accessory kit that allows it to be plugged into a breadboard by itself. I already wish I had something like that for the stuff that's on my breadboard right now and was thinking of etching one of my own.

But obviously I'm not the person who'd have any idea if anyone else wants to pay the price for that kind of device, but I would.

Post Edited (Brian Whisler) : 1/3/2008 4:52:42 AM GMT
    edited 2008-01-03 05:58
    I'm intrigued why a DIP-Module ( or similar ) would be considerably more expensive than a ProtoBoard version, considering it's effectively the same ... manufacturing volumes ?

I've never understood why SpinStamp is $50 when a ProtoBoard is $20. Although I'd prefer a breadboard / stripboard compatible plug-in, at those prices it's a no brainer which to use. To me it makes the SpinStamp a product for no rhyme nor reason.
    edited 2008-01-03 06:13
    It requires several additional manufacturing steps which are tool assisted but manual, also leaded frame modules are manufactured on site.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2008-01-03 08:00
    Even with it being the difference between 20 bucks and 50, 60, 70 or more, I still think I'd like to own at least one or two such devices just because the easy re-usability would make it worthwhile compared to un soldering protoboards. Once I'm done with a protoboard I think most of the time I'd probably install it in a box and then leave it there and buy more protoboards. Of course not needing to replace it with each new project would probably lead to lower overall sales of the DIP stick device, even if just as many individuals bought it. And that might make it a less desirable product offering from Chip's point of view since I must admit that I see myself buying more protoboards than DIP sticks over the long run. Maybe if it was a partial kit with the user doing whatever soldering that could be done by hand. Even then I'd still pay the higher price because I know I'd re-use it so many times. It seems like it would be the desirable package for an introductory Education Kit too.

I agree with Hippy that the Spin Stamp (and the Prop Stick) seem to have little reason to exist, but that's only because we already have the Prop 1 in a DIP package anyway. With Prop 2 there will not be that option, and therefore the potential for healthy sales of the colossal Prop Stick 2.
  • simonlsimonl Posts: 866
    edited 2008-01-03 10:32
    So why not create a slightly wider PropStick, with the existing 40-pins underneath, but with additional 2 x 20-hole SIL headers on top for the additional Prop pins? This arrangement would allow use with a breadboard as normal, with connection to the additional pins via jump-wires to the top sockets.

BTW: I don't think the boards deSilva linked to are breadboard friendly are they?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheers,

Simon
    www.norfolkhelicopterclub.co.uk
    You'll always have as many take-offs as landings, the trick is to be sure you can take-off again ;-)
    BTW: I type as I'm thinking, so please don't take any offense at my writing style smile.gif
  • DroneDrone Posts: 433
    edited 2008-01-03 15:07
    Paul Baker said...
    "...Those old huge dip packages are not availible by packaging houses anymore."
    Does this forebode the 'End-of-Life' for the Propeller-I in 40 pin DIP?

Regards, David
    edited 2008-01-03 18:48
    No, the 40 Pin dip is one of the last species still availible.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • FrobozzFrobozz Posts: 12
    edited 2008-01-04 11:59
    Paul Baker (Parallax) said...
    How about providing a DIP-40 package with fewer IO pins available to make it fit?
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,510
    edited 2008-01-04 12:03
    Something like the propstick but without the usb would be ideal for many apps, the price of the propstick is a bit too high to actually keep in in systems because you are effectively buying a propplug everytime. Of course I said this about propI too [noparse]:)[/noparse]

The protoboard type board is also a must of course.

Graham
  • DroneDrone Posts: 433
    edited 2008-01-04 16:39
    Paul,

you said "No, the 40 Pin dip is one of the last species still availible."

But my question was based on your statement:

"...Those old huge dip packages are not availible by packaging houses anymore."

Does this mean that the current Propeller 40 pin DIP version is limited to current stock?

New comment:

If a DIP version of Prop-II is not possible (we can live with less I/O pins) then...

A carrier/break-out board is needed. But...

Typically these break-out boards need pins. For Parallax to solder these pins on the boards increases cost in a big way, better to let the end-user do it. So Parallax may supply a carrier/break-out board with no pins, only holes, but this presents another problem:

Where to get the pins? Plus the pins should be "friendly" with both plug-proto-boards and standard DIP sockets, not an easy thing to do. Standard 0.1" headers (square wire-wrap type) damage plug proto-boards and cannot plug into PCB DIP sockets. Soldering the pins individually is an obstacle for the end-user unless they're on a header. This should be obvious - hence the physical form-factor like PropStick and even BS2. But what we need is the chip ONLY on a DIP break-out board (yes with reduced I/O pins) where the end-user solders a header on the break-out board (so Parallax doesn't have to) that is both plug-proto-board and DIP socket friendly. The break-out board with Propeller-II and end-user solderable pin headers should cost 10-20% more than the SMT Prop-II chip alone. let's not forget that shipping a break-out board with user solderable headers makes the end-product "shippable" in a flat-pack, no bent pins. Parallax may want to talk to a company that specializes in pin-out solutions at www.mil-max.com.

Oh yes - one more thing: The pin header solution for the break-out board ideally should have square pins, not round. This will prevent alienation of wire-wrap users. Square pins (or at-least not round pins) are required for wire-wrap as the wire "bites" into the pin when wrapped, hence requiring an oblique edge. If you must go with a round pin then wire-wrap users can solder the wraps, but this is not ideal as one of the great reasons for using wire-wrap is that you can unwrap/change connections during development.

Regards,

David
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,261
    edited 2008-01-04 16:45
    One could just add a connector, or two to the Protoboard. The Hybrid board uses those IDE connectors and it's just sweet for a lot of things. Cut an old ribbon cable, and jack the wires into your breadboard, and you are off to the races.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Propeller Wiki: Share the coolness!
    edited 2008-01-04 17:03
    Potatohead : Cool idea. As long as the space to install the connector is provided and has traces already connecting it to the Prop, installing the connector could be another user option like the current accessory kit for VGA and mouse support. I just wouldn't want to have to solder my own jumper wires from every IO pin to the connector though. With 2 such connectors you could get all 64 IO pins out to the breadboard really quickly and not eat up all that much space on the protoboard.

Drone : I like your idea too. As to Paul's comment "...Those old huge dip packages are not availible by packaging houses anymore." I think he was replying to my earlier comment about the really gigantic ones with nearly 70 pins, like the early Moto 68000's. But I agree that a 40 pin DIP of Prop 2 might be a very good idea since the extra IO pins is something many people will not want, considering all the other reasons why people would be attracted to Prop 2 even if they don't need all that IO.

Post Edited (Brian Whisler) : 1/4/2008 5:08:46 PM GMT
    edited 2008-01-04 18:20
    Fozbot, we will not be releasing a reduced pin count version, it would cost just as much to produce as the full pin count.
    Drone, no. As I told Brian, it is too early to start debating what we will or won't do for the next chip's development boards.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Paul Baker

Parallax, Inc.
  • Ken PetersonKen Peterson Posts: 806
    edited 2008-01-04 20:19
    If you really want a breadboard friendly carrier for the Prop II, you can get several of them made for about $55 at www.expresspcb.com (if you are in the U.S.) using their mini-board service. You might be able to get 2 or 3 carriers per board. Just download the design software and make it precisely the way you want. Once you mount the chip and add the pins you want, you can re-use it for several projects.

A third party might be intersted in offering a kit for this purpose as well if there is sufficient market demand.

Running a ribbon jumper from a Proto Board to your breadboard is also a good idea as long as you don't try to do really high frequency stuff like delta/sigma A/D conversion.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

The more I know, the more I know I don't know.· Is this what they call Wisdom?
  • Fred HawkinsFred Hawkins Posts: 997
    edited 2008-01-05 01:19
    Frobozz said...
    How about providing a DIP-40 package with fewer IO pins available to make it fit?
    Assuming that the actual chip is somewhere in the middle of the chip, you might try cutting off the bottom up to pins 12 and 19. Do it a little at a time -- when it stops working you know you've gone too far and resolve to leave those pins the next time.
  • VIRANDVIRAND Posts: 656
    edited 2008-01-05 01:52
    If the Prop II is necessarily absolutely manually unsolderable, how about a nice Prop II Proto Board?

I basically flip a coin to decide whether to buy Propellers on DIP's or Proto Boards. Both are nicely priced.
  • FrobozzFrobozz Posts: 12
    edited 2008-01-05 13:04
    Frobozz, we will not be releasing a reduced pin count version, it would cost just as much to produce as the full pin count.
    That's not the point though. It may not cost less to produce for you but it would cost less for hobbyists to buy than to have to get one of the various prototype boards. Now personally I wouldn't mind having one of those prototype boards but I'd still rather have to solder DIPs in the end than SMDs.
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2008-01-05 13:20
    Hobbyists are going to have to make the transition if they want to keep up.... but how?

Easy:

http://www.schmartboard.com/

They have a nice license policy, and they have experience with Parallax, and they give prizes out for new designs.

I'm looking forward to RadioShack offering an "Easy Bake" style product (2009?). And if you have never had the joy of working through a microscope... this might be the time to experiment[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Someone will offer a really slick solution and will make a few bucks in the process. Many people want a DIP style product... it will be there, someone will do it.

Rich
  • PatMPatM Posts: 72
    edited 2008-01-05 13:58
    rjo_ said...
    Hobbyists are going to have to make the transition if they want to keep up.... but how?

Easy:

http://www.schmartboard.com/

They have a nice license policy, and they have experience with Parallax, and they give prizes out for new designs.

I'm looking forward to RadioShack offering an "Easy Bake" style product (2009?). And if you have never had the joy of working through a microscope... this might be the time to experiment[noparse]:)[/noparse]

Someone will offer a really slick solution and will make a few bucks in the process. Many people want a DIP style product... it will be there, someone will do it.

Rich
    I like the look of the Schmartboards but they're just too pricey to actually make a project from. As a one-off let-me-breadboard-this or a corporate "bang out a proto-prototype" they're ok though. ALthough their layouts are not necessarily breadboard friendly.

The QFP package, for instance, has its legs go off in four directions while breadboards only run in two. In a 32 pin version that would mean a few soldered-on jumper wires but a lot of chips that have QFP of 40 or fewer legs also have dip versions. Mostly its the 64+ leg versions you need a board for. Not that there isn't good reason for this as a 64 or 100 pin breadboard friendly adapter would be very large.
    ·
  • rjo_rjo_ Posts: 1,825
    edited 2008-01-05 14:22
    This is a perfect problem and not much of a stretch for some of the guys here on the forum... I can easily imagine that the kinds of minds that produce the Supermill and the Twin Prop are capable of solving this kind of technical issue... Maybe if we would all get together and offer to buy devices before they are produced and put a little money up front so the guys don't have to tap their own pocket we can have what we want the day the PropII is shipping.

About the pricing on SchmartBoard... pricing is always an issue. How much value you get for the price and what you need to do are the real stickers.
    I would expect a Schmartboard with a PropII on it to be very attractively priced[noparse]:)[/noparse] I'm guessing about 2-3X a proto board... but maybe less.

Rich
    edited 2008-01-05 14:22
    rjo_ said...

I agree. Anyone with just a few skills could be rolling their own Propeller DIP-Modules for the Propeller Chip now and the same is almost certainly true for the Prop II to come.

The question though is whether it's economically viable to do so ?

I cannot produce a ProtoBoard offering cheaper than a Parallax ProtoBoard nor a DIP Module cheaper than a ProtoBoard either, which is why I, and I expect others, tend to look to Parallax ( or third parties ) for economies of scale and volume they can deliver which others cannot.

This is particularly critical in the hobby market outside the US. In the UK we face 60% markup on Propeller product or buying direct from the US with very high shipping costs. Unless costs can be brought down I fear the Propeller will see limited take-up and be a niche product in the UK much as the BasicStamp was.

Technological issues can be overcome by anyone, resolving the economic issues is going to necessitate the participation and help of Parallax.

The 'Unique Selling Point' of the Propeller which could carry it over the hurdle of cost is its composite video capability. Unfortunately its PAL output, while entirely usable, isn't of a quality which could sell the Propeller by itself. Resolve that and I would expect to see its popularity in the UK increase.

Adoption of the Propeller requires a critical mass which will lead to a cascade of acceptance, use of it and popularity. IMO, both cost and useful/usable format currently stand in the way of attaining that critical mass in the UK.