Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
What distinguishes a robotic toy from a tool? — Parallax Forums

What distinguishes a robotic toy from a tool?

Being able to sit on it, perhaps?

:)

-Phil

Comments

• Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    I want one, but I doubt I could afford it as a toy!
  • Why not operate remotely which would make more sense you just need cameras and you would have it made
  • Why not operate remotely which would make more sense you just need cameras and you would have it made
    Well, if you're trenching in Northern California soil (mostly hard clay), you want the weight of the rider to get the needed leverage!

dgately

• Dave HeinDave Hein Posts: 6,347
    edited 2020-11-02 15:09
    I watched this for a few minutes, and thought "wow he's really not getting very far on his trench". And then I realized the video was just looping. :)

Seriously though, I think I could dig the trench faster by hand, but it wouldn't be as much fun.
  • I did a Google search:
    Komatsu PC01

$79 at Kohls....
  • I'm 67. I've had to shovel snow from a driveway to the road...and then take aspirin. That's a tool.
  • I can't be the only one wondering how to operate those things.

• kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Operating backhoes and front end loaders is an art. When you see efficient and smooth movements you are watching a master at work. I have often wondered if a miniature arm with encoders at each joint beside the seat would be a simpler way to control the motion of the exterior one.
  • kwinn wrote: »
    I have often wondered if a miniature arm with encoders at each joint beside the seat would be a simpler way to control the motion of the exterior one.

It would likely be easy for the first half hour of use. Once a person is used to operating the real controls, I'd think they'd be much faster with the inputs than trying to manipulate a miniature arm.

I'd think once a person had enough practice, the motions would come without having to think about.

• Dave Hein wrote: »
    I watched this for a few minutes, and thought "wow he's really not getting very far on his trench". And then I realized the video was just looping. :)

:lol::lol::lol:
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Want!
  • kwinn wrote: »
    Operating backhoes and front end loaders is an art. When you see efficient and smooth movements you are watching a master at work. I have often wondered if a miniature arm with encoders at each joint beside the seat would be a simpler way to control the motion of the exterior one.

:+1:

The problem is the relative cost of hydraulic proportional valves vs hand operated. I have had moderate success with PWM-ing the coils of a basic directional valve (open-loop) but I need to give it a jolt of 100% current just to get the spool moving. From there, it's really nice. I can regulate the velocity from a creep to full-tilt. I intend to pursue this because at the very least, I can eliminate hydraulic flow controls on machines that I retrofit, without having to spend $1,500 to $2,000 per proportional valve.

Bang-bang to proportional control
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Mickster wrote: »
    kwinn wrote: »

:+1:

The problem is the relative cost of hydraulic proportional valves vs hand operated. I have had moderate success with PWM-ing the coils of a basic directional valve (open-loop) but I need to give it a jolt of 100% current just to get the spool moving. From there, it's really nice. I can regulate the velocity from a creep to full-tilt. I intend to pursue this because at the very least, I can eliminate hydraulic flow controls on machines that I retrofit, without having to spend $1,500 to $2,000 per proportional valve.

Bang-bang to proportional control

Yes, the price difference between a regular valve and a proportional one was a bit of a surprise when I started working on servo-hydraulic systems. The first valve I replaced was $4895.00. Amazing what they could do though.
  • doggiedocdoggiedoc Posts: 2,239
    edited 2020-11-04 14:07
    EDIT: reduced image size - that thing was huge!!
    So, I'm reading this thread and it occurs to me my shirt is appropriate to this discussion!

IMG_6136-1.jpeg
    640 x 382 - 104K
  • Where can one get a shirt like this?
  • Where can one get a shirt like this?
    It was for sale on the website many years ago. @"Ken Gracey" might be able to tell you better. I haven't seen any shirts for sale in a while.

Doc
  • AwesomeCronkAwesomeCronk Posts: 1,055
    edited 2020-11-05 19:33
    on the topic of toys tools, check this one out.

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2020-11-05 19:55
    on the topic of toys tools, check this one out. [/unquote]

Now, I consider that a toy for boys!
  • Ah but a very useful tool application for laying down electrical conduit I wish I had something like that about a month ago when I was doing this project
  • frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,974
    edited 2020-11-08 04:04
    Or the caption could be "Just you wait until your ______________________ gets home!!"
    ..........................................................................(politically (in)correct parental unit here)
    dots here because forum seems to dump leading spaces.