Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Been a while...what do I download? — Parallax Forums

Been a while...what do I download?

Hello all. I got a hankering to dig out my C3 and do some VGA learning/coding in P1 assembly.

I much prefer to use Visual Studio Code as my main development platform. So I assume I will need a compiler/assembler and a tool to upload (I have the Prop Plug).

What all do I need to download to do this? Oh, and when I'm not using asm, I'd be more comfortable with C++ as I am a Java developer by trade.

I used to do this a long time ago but I cannot remember the toolsets I used to use.

Thanks!

Comments

• PropWare is still "around" ish. It will give you the closest to a Java experience, and plays well with the command line (which should help you use VS Code)

https://david.zemon.name/PropWare/#/about
  • If you need a commandline Spin compiler/assembler, probably the best option is homespun. (openspin has some weird quirks...) I've more or less took over maintaining it. I've attached the latest build.
    Fastspin is also good, unless you're tight on memory, in which case owie ouch huge binary.

• cbmeeks wrote: »
    Hello all. I got a hankering to dig out my C3 and do some VGA learning/coding in P1 assembly.

I much prefer to use Visual Studio Code as my main development platform. So I assume I will need a compiler/assembler and a tool to upload (I have the Prop Plug).

What all do I need to download to do this? Oh, and when I'm not using asm, I'd be more comfortable with C++ as I am a Java developer by trade.

I used to do this a long time ago but I cannot remember the toolsets I used to use.

Thanks!

Hello!
    You mentioned using that editor for your Prop doings, do you use any special extension for it?
  • I use VSC in Linux for P1 and P2. To automate the compile I use a preprocessor like m4 to create a single .spin file which I then pass to bstc. So I end up with proper listings and I can work with small include files in VSC. The integrated terminal window in VSC allows me to have one open with my minicom terminal emulator, and another terminal window for the compiler.

This is the script I use to bake a P1 application, in this case Tachyon.
    #./bake tachyon tachyon5v7 96MHZ port#
    m4 -I includes ./KERNEL/includes/$1.m4 > KERNEL/$2.spin
    ./bstc -l -b -O x -d /dev/ttyUSB$4 -D $3 -p2 -f KERNEL/$2.spin

• I use VSC in Linux for P1 and P2. To automate the compile I use a preprocessor like m4 to create a single .spin file which I then pass to bstc. So I end up with proper listings and I can work with small include files in VSC. The integrated terminal window in VSC allows me to have one open with my minicom terminal emulator, and another terminal window for the compiler.

This is the script I use to bake a P1 application, in this case Tachyon.
    #./bake tachyon tachyon5v7 96MHZ port#
    m4 -I includes ./KERNEL/includes/$1.m4 > KERNEL/$2.spin
    ./bstc -l -b -O x -d /dev/ttyUSB$4 -D $3 -p2 -f KERNEL/$2.spin

I understand perfectly Peter. I was thinking of the correspondent.

Now what's Koala doing in your work area?
  • Wuerfel_21 wrote: »
    If you need a commandline Spin compiler/assembler, probably the best option is homespun. (openspin has some weird quirks...) I've more or less took over maintaining it. I've attached the latest build.
    Fastspin is also good, unless you're tight on memory, in which case owie ouch huge binary.

Okay I snagged the Zip file that you've provided. However Norton wasn't thrilled with it, and thought the binary inside was infected with some obscure virus. I got it back and renamed it to homespun-0.3.2.exe and running it in a powershell window. I then saw the commands strings it would need to make it work. I've also trusted it so NAV will stop behaving as if it needed a problem around it.

But, ah, any suggestions to making it work with VsC?
  • Thanks everyone!

@"Peter Jakacki" , I managed to actually find the BST tools that I had before and was able to get it to work.

Thanks again.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,066
    There is a Visual Studio Code thread that has the files and description for P1 and P2 color highlighting
    https://forums.parallax.com/discussion/170068/visual-studio-code-editor-for-p1-p2-spin-pasm
  • Thanks!