Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New Products! — Parallax Forums

New Products!

PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
edited 2019-06-23 11:04 in General Discussion
A neat little compound sensor. Gas sensor with air pressure, humidity, and ambient air temperature.Bosch quality.

https://www.parallax.com/product/28061

And a long awaited ePaper display!

https://www.parallax.com/product/28084

Rumors of a new GPS soon. (I saw some finished product on Twitter).

Comments

• Regarding the gas sensor: so methane, perhaps? Might I use it in conjunction with the hygrostat in my bathroom to operate the vent fan? Enquiring minds want to know! TM

-Phil
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2019-06-22 21:33
    While the Data Sheet states:
    Gases that can be detected by the BME680 include Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) from paints (such as formaldehyde), lacquers, paint strippers, cleaning supplies, furnishings, office equipment, glues, adhesives and alcohol.

It does not mention Methane specifically. Not sure if it would work as a "bad smell detector". :)
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    Regarding the gas sensor: so methane, perhaps? Might I use it in conjunction with the hygrostat in my bathroom to operate the vent fan? Enquiring minds want to know! TM

-Phil
    Publison wrote: »
    While the Data Sheet states:
    Gases that can be detected by the BME680 include Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC) from paints (such as formaldehyde), lacquers, paint strippers, cleaning supplies, furnishings, office equipment, glues, adhesives and alcohol.

It does not mention Methane specifically. Not sure if it would work as a "bad smell detector". :)

I suspect it would also detect methane and other flammable gases like propane, MAPP, etc. Phil, you should try it out and report back to us ;-)
  • kwinn wrote:
    Phil, you should try it out and report back to us ;-)
    Perhaps I shall. Upon researching the relevant gas components -- for science, of course -- 7% is methane, although it's the 1% hydrogen sulfide that creates the odor. I think this could work!

More to come!

-Phil
    kwinn wrote:
    Phil, you should try it out and report back to us ;-)
    Perhaps I shall. Upon researching the relevant gas components -- for science, of course -- 7% is methane, although it's the 1% hydrogen sulfide that creates the odor. I think this could work!

More to come!

-Phil

I see you've done some research on the topic. I'm surprised that it's only 7% methane. I wonder what the other 92% is. If the balance is air then I think the ...umm....whats the polite term...ah researchers who ignite the gas at it's source might be risking some painful burns in a tender area.
  • kwinn wrote:
    I wonder what the other 92% is.
    According to one source, 59% N2, 21% H2, 9% CO2, 4% O2.

Does H2 qualify as a VOC?

-Phil
  • kwinn wrote:

-Phil

No - VOCs must contain carbon. Whether that sensor would detect it is a different question. Off to research their theory of operation...

Mike R...
  • pmrobert wrote: »
    kwinn wrote:

-Phil

No - VOCs must contain carbon. Whether that sensor would detect it is a different question. Off to research their theory of operation...

Mike R...

Are not we Carbon Based? :)
  • pmrobertpmrobert Posts: 669
    edited 2019-06-23 18:28
    pmrobert wrote: »
    kwinn wrote:

-Phil

Mike R...

Absolutely! Being carbon based != VOC... Except for certain, ummm, "emissions"! :-) Every time I see the word "organic" it causes instant anxiety as I am now forced to recall a couple of semesters of organic chemistry. "Organic food" - of COURSE it's carbon based! Pedantic Mike heads off to go float in my non-VOC pool. :-) :-)

Mike R...
    edited 2019-06-23 18:35
    pmrobert wrote: »
    kwinn wrote:

-Phil

Mike R...

We are, which is why we emit 9% CO2. While H2 does not qualify as a VOC I suspect it might produce a reading.