Why Are Too Few Females in Robotics? Could It Be the Robots?

167891012»

Comments

• Wow, impressive.
    In science there is no authority. There is only experiment.
    Life is unpredictable. Eat dessert first.
  • Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • ercoerco Posts: 19,587
    This young girl is into robotics and vice versa. Not by choice but she's quickly becoming an ambassador for prostheses. https://netimesmagazine.co.uk/editorial/bionic-angel/

bionicgirl.jpg
    6573 x 4382 - 2M
    "When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
  • Life changing technology to be sure!
    Sarcasm for English build 2019.12.30 released two days before New Year's! Ports to other languages are in progress and are expected to be finished by January 5, 2020.
    A most excellent find, Sir Whit!
    "When you make a thing, a thing that is new, it is so complicated making it that it is bound to be ugly. But those that make it after you, they don’t have to worry about making it. And they can make it pretty, and so everybody can like it when others make it after you."

- Pablo Picasso
    edited 2019-12-01 - 18:19:25
    This young lass Xyla may like robots. She assures you can "pick up the people that you're attracted to at the bar with your soldering skills".

And yes, her dress is a PCB.

- Pablo Picasso
  • SeairthSeairth Posts: 2,408
    edited 2019-12-29 - 16:23:46
    I just read a book that I recommend everyone take the time to read, then buy a few copies (I bought 3) and give them away. :grin: The book is "Emmy in the Key of Code" by Aimee Lucido, and it introduces the reader to some of the basic concepts of programming in a novel and engaging way. This is the kind of book you give a young person (female or male) to pique their interest, not to be their "first book on programming."

(recommendation background: My wife, whom I had almost convinced to start a new career as a software engineer after many years of teaching, instead went back to her first love, librarianship. As a youth librarian, she came across this book, read it, and then insisted I read it as well. Additionally, she's adding it to her Battle of the Books youth reading program, because it's that good. Also, @Ken Gracey, this might be a somewhat unconventional book for Parallax to sell, but it definitely ties into your education mission. Make sure to take a look.)
  • I recently listened to an Embedded FM podcast episode where the author of that book, Aimee Lucido, was the guest.