Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Costco Pizza Robot — Parallax Forums

Costco Pizza Robot

ercoerco Posts: 20,244
I for one, welcome Costco's robotic pizza-making overlords. It appears they still need humans to add cheese and pepperoni. For now. Surely, autonomous cars delivering pizza are on the docket.

That spiral sauce dispenser arm and pizza stack rack sure look a lot like an old-school hard drive.

Comments

• Hmm, don't see the robot, just the automatic tools that are in many modern pizza joints. Not to say they couldn't improve on the whole process. My local pizza joint will add free hair, even if you don't ask for it.
  • It would be VERY easy to automate the toppings as well. Just use a sort of 'salad shooter' for each ingredient that is preloaded. And sliced mozz is easier application than grated mozz.

After seeing robotic 'bartenders' I realized a 'low resolution' $5K robotic arm might be able to be used as a cook in a pizzeria. Robotic arm would be used in conjuction with the dough press seen above, and a sauce dot squirter attachment to the arm.

I imagine this would be quite an attraction, and cost much much less than a million or whatever it took to build out a ChucknCheez location.

This inspired me:
  • erco wrote: »
    That spiral sauce dispenser arm and pizza stack rack sure look a lot like an old-school hard drive.

Actually, looks exactly like this: https://www.wunderbar.com/products/details/autosaucer

;-)

• ercoerco Posts: 20,244
    Robots and spirals just go together. From pizza and Arlo finishes to Fibonacci & Archimedes spirals, there is truly something for everyone.

Arlo.png
    600 x 300 - 151K
    Arlo.png 151.4K
  • The cheese variable should be easy to override. There's a lot of room for development beyond extra.

The latest from AOL: "You've got turnover!"

Technology=Turnover at fast food joints. No, not apple turnovers, employee turnover.

https://www.aol.com/article/finance/2018/05/01/the-fast-food-industry-is-facing-a-growing-crisis/23424785/
  • Apple is better.
  • Well why not?
    Not far from where you are erco and you as well Gordon, was an automated fast food shop. It took care of everything, from making the hamburgers and fried potatoes to pouring the drinks. They only needed two humans to collect the money and to serve the food.

I found out about it, when I was in high school, and wondered how the food there tasted compared to the shops I frequented. Never got there though. I think it managed to stay in business until the big mess surfaced about the time of the Dot-Com burn out.

In fact most of the places that Ronald setup are in fact automated to some degree. They still have people for the menial tasks like making the food oddly enough.

However places like Costco are on my do not approach list for while yet.
  • erco wrote: »
    Robots and spirals just go together. From pizza and Arlo finishes to Fibonacci & Archimedes spirals, there is truly something for everyone.

Arlo.png

And as for Arlo, as a base, I still think the little guy looks like the bottom part of a Dalek without the funny wraparound and of course the top securing the former person inside it....... (For our build, we'd use a couple of Props to support everything else.)

If you put a pizza blank on top of an S3, Whit could code that pizza sauce spiral in BlocklyProp right quick. I think a whole Parallax robot food prep display is in order for the P2 launch party, which is when, now, Ken?