Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
DEFCON 22 Badge: Code, Schematics and Information Here! - Page 4 — Parallax Forums

DEFCON 22 Badge: Code, Schematics and Information Here!

Comments

• __red____red__ Posts: 470
    edited 2014-08-12 18:30
    User Name wrote: »
    So I'm not alone! Video capability was what first blew my mind about the Propeller.

BTW, with the abundance of inexpensive composite screens (Chinese "Car RearView LCD Monitor" that Dr. Acula popularized here) the Prop's video capability is as relevant as ever.

Not wishing to de-rail this awesome thread, but if you could link the examples of those monitors, that would be great. I'd love one badge-sized :-)
  • JLockeJLocke Posts: 354
    edited 2014-08-12 22:10
    I haven't used this one, but here's an example... 3.5-inch LCD TFT Monitor
  • TokenToken Posts: 9
    edited 2014-08-13 00:20
    I still cannot get the human loaded and running, is there another forum/thread for more newb'ish guidance on this?
  • shadsterrrshadsterrr Posts: 6
    edited 2014-08-15 18:57
    Ok please be gentle as I am not a hardware guy. I hope its true that the only dumb question is the one not asked :) I got my Defcon 22 badge and 2 of the green led’s don’t light. I took the badge to the HHV and after testing and magnifying the led’s they said they were definitely damaged. I was hoping someone here could point me to what i need to purchase to replace them.

Short video of the led’s at https://db.tt/MeezRoHq.

Thank you in advance for any assistance!

Shad
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2014-08-15 19:54
    shadsterrr wrote: »
    Ok please be gentle as I am not a hardware guy. I hope its true that the only dumb question is the one not asked :) I got my Defcon 22 badge and 2 of the green led’s don’t light. I took the badge to the HHV and after testing and magnifying the led’s they said they were definitely damaged. I was hoping someone here could point me to what i need to purchase to replace them.

You'll need to find some replacement LEDs and solder them in place. My guess is that they are 0603 sized parts. Any ol' green 0603 will likely be compatible. Here's one example:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=HT-F195NG-5501virtualkey68860000virtualkey743-HT-F195NG

Before you buy any I'd call up Parallax and ask if they can send you 3 or 4. They likely have some left over, and they're pretty friendly. Get the extra because you'll likely mess up at least once.

After that you'll need to desolder the existing LEDs and solder in the new LEDs. While not as easy as through hole soldering it's not too difficult with a fine tip soldering iron. Look up video tutorials on SMD soldering and desoldering for ideas.
    edited 2014-08-15 20:50

Shad

I feel for you, I can't seem to even load source code, something done in the first 15 seconds for everyone else in the hardware hack village as they moved onto fixing the IR code.

surface mount components are harder. I have a Weller WESD51 soldering iron with a Weller ETS 0.01 x 0.4mm tip for tight jobs. I don't like de-soldering wicks, I have a much better time with the suction based products with hole mounted components- didn't find the need to use de-soldering stuff on surface mount stuff though.
    edited 2014-08-15 22:15
    Downloaded the Propeller tool- finally have the human firmware loaded, and the badge restored. Wish I had a stronger understanding of the fundamentals as to why PropellerIDE and SimpleIDE didn't work for me. Operator error? Language and compelling differences?

Hats off to the guys that have the background and hacked into this thing to fix the IR coding, and went further and loaded the badge with extra LEDs, screens and that crazy copter.
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,742
    edited 2014-08-16 00:31
    Token, if you are only going to use Spin, or Assembly in the future, then stick with the Propeller Tool. Simple IDE is for the Propeller C Tutorials on Learn.
    I noticed that the Propeller Tool can load a Binary file (.binary). Also if you if you call up the memory map there is an option button to save the EEPROM contents.
    By the way, if you modify any the Spin programs be sure to press F9 to see if it will compile correctly. It catches most mistakes. If you even get an error message that you don't understand then just ask. Oh, and if you do modify a program rename it or keep a copy of the original somewhere.

Have fun!
    edited 2014-08-16 06:47
    SRLM wrote: »
    You'll need to find some replacement LEDs and solder them in place. My guess is that they are 0603 sized parts. Any ol' green 0603 will likely be compatible. Here's one example:

http://www.mouser.com/Search/ProductDetail.aspx?R=HT-F195NG-5501virtualkey68860000virtualkey743-HT-F195NG

Before you buy any I'd call up Parallax and ask if they can send you 3 or 4. They likely have some left over, and they're pretty friendly. Get the extra because you'll likely mess up at least once.

After that you'll need to desolder the existing LEDs and solder in the new LEDs. While not as easy as through hole soldering it's not too difficult with a fine tip soldering iron. Look up video tutorials on SMD soldering and desoldering for ideas.

Thank you. I will try calling them on Monday ... and yeah 3 or 4 may not be enough lol I tried soldering once and didn't go so well :) Thank you for the tip on fine tip soldering - I may have been using too big a tip the last time I tried it and that could be why things did not work for me. I really appreciate your response!
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2014-08-16 06:59
    Thank you. I will try calling them on Monday ... and yeah 3 or 4 may not be enough lol I tried soldering once and didn't go so well :) Thank you for the tip on fine tip soldering - I may have been using too big a tip the last time I tried it and that could be why things did not work for me. I really appreciate your response!

shadsterr, how about sending it to me and I'll repair it professionally and return it?

Ken Gracey
    Parallax Inc.
    599 Menlo Drive
    Rocklin, CA 95765
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2014-08-16 07:00
    Ken Gracey wrote: »
    shadsterr, how about sending it to me and I'll repair it professionally and return it?

Ken Gracey
    Parallax Inc.
    599 Menlo Drive
    Rocklin, CA 95765
    In what other company would you get an offer like that from the CEO? No wonder we love Parallax!
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2014-08-16 07:09

Be advised there is a polarity issue with LED's. You can put them in backwards and they will not work. You have a 50/50 chance of getting it right the first time.

Here is a guide to help that situation:

http://lighthouseleds.com/blog/polarity-guide-of-0402-0603-0805-1206-and-most-all-smd-leds.html
    edited 2014-08-16 07:11
    Just noticed Ken's post. This is the kind of support we love from Parallax!
    edited 2014-08-16 07:30

Ken Gracey
    Parallax Inc.
    599 Menlo Drive
    Rocklin, CA 95765

Wow I do not know what to say. Thank you. It is so rare to see such great customer service ... and to get it from the CEO. Amazing. I will UPS the badge to you. Thank you Ken!
    edited 2014-08-16 07:35
    Publison wrote: »
    Be advised there is a polarity issue with LED's. You can put them in backwards and they will not work. You have a 50/50 chance of getting it right the first time.

Here is a guide to help that situation:

http://lighthouseleds.com/blog/polarity-guide-of-0402-0603-0805-1206-and-most-all-smd-leds.html

Thank you! This is such a great group. I am a software guy but always hated being so dumb with hardware. I think I am going to try doing some of this "hardware stuff" again. And thanks to Ken's great offer I do not have to experiment with the now so hard to get Defcon 22 badge :) I appreciate the links that everyone has sent. I have a few afternoons of reading and watching and then experimenting -crosses fingers-

Thanks again everyone!
  • LawsonLawson Posts: 870
    edited 2014-08-16 21:40

Shad

While I'm a hardware guy, the old Sparkfun surface mount tutorials are what got me started with surface mount components. Doesn't take much more than a fine tipped soldering iron and solder to do it. (note: tweezers and solder-wick are the other two requirements) Two pin parts are easy to take off with an iron and solder, so I'm kind'a surprised nobody at the HHV fixed the LED's for you.

Marty
    edited 2014-08-17 10:50
    Genetix wrote: »
    Token, if you are only going to use Spin, or Assembly in the future, then stick with the Propeller Tool. Simple IDE is for the Propeller C Tutorials on Learn.
    I noticed that the Propeller Tool can load a Binary file (.binary). Also if you if you call up the memory map there is an option button to save the EEPROM contents.
    By the way, if you modify any the Spin programs be sure to press F9 to see if it will compile correctly. It catches most mistakes. If you even get an error message that you don't understand then just ask. Oh, and if you do modify a program rename it or keep a copy of the original somewhere.

Have fun!

I think I will need to start at the tutorial levels first haha.

I jumped into trying to play with the badge the first night because I had been doing a lot of reading on Arduino and bought an Arduino mini to start playing with. I'm growing a strong interest in the hardware and software side of these types of products. Looking forward to learning both platforms.
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-08-17 10:56
    Token wrote: »
    Downloaded the Propeller tool- finally have the human firmware loaded, and the badge restored. Wish I had a stronger understanding of the fundamentals as to why PropellerIDE and SimpleIDE didn't work for me. Operator error? Language and compelling differences?

What did you try to do with PropellerIDE?
    edited 2014-08-17 11:50
    Wow I do not know what to say. Thank you. It is so rare to see such great customer service ... and to get it from the CEO. Amazing. I will UPS the badge to you. Thank you Ken!

No need to be impressed :) The big CEO title only exists because it means something to certain customers, suppliers, etc. We are far more alike than different: I ate Cheerios for breakfast, grilled cheese for lunch and I drive an older Subaru.

But truthfully, there's no reason why we can't attempt to provide the best service our customers need and deserve. Always challenge us to do the right thing by you at Parallax- never let us off the hook on a mistake or an opportunity to help you.

Thank you,

Ken Gracey
  • loatherloather Posts: 5
    edited 2014-08-18 16:14
    That's unheard-of customer service. If for no reason other than that, I'll definitely be sticking around and playing with more Propeller stuff. :)
  • ReplicntReplicnt Posts: 1
    edited 2014-08-20 22:19
    Hi Ken,

I also have a bad LED. Would it be possible to bring it by your office? I live in Folsom, Ca.

Great work on the badges!

Sean
    edited 2014-08-21 00:50
    Token, Is there anything In particular that you don't understand or have a question on. Feel free to ask.

Replicnt, give Parallax Technical Support a call.
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2014-08-21 08:14
    Genetix wrote: »
    Token, Is there anything In particular that you don't understand or have a question on. Feel free to ask.

Replicnt, give Parallax Technical Support a call.

Parallax is adopting the Opensource PropellerIDE, but I don't think Parallax tech support is required to support it yet.

Me and anyone else on this forum who can answer questions are the only Opensource PropellerIDE support method at this time.
  • rivetheadrivethead Posts: 2
    edited 2014-08-21 17:06
    What differances are there between dc 20 and dc 22 badges? Anything other than the exclusion of the ps2 and vga connections?
    edited 2014-08-21 19:45
    The DC22 badge has 4 Touch Buttons that the DC20 badge doesn't have.
    edited 2014-08-25 18:31
    Is there a parts list that goes along with the DEFCON badge schematic. In particular, I'm wondering what U3 is. I'm thinking about trying to make a mock badge using a Quickstart and adding the IR components.
    edited 2014-08-25 21:38
    David Betz wrote: »
    Is there a parts list that goes along with the DEFCON badge schematic. In particular, I'm wondering what U3 is. I'm thinking about trying to make a mock badge using a Quickstart and adding the IR components.

You don't need to make a mock badge because today I sent you a real DEFCON 22 badge for creating C/C++ code from our original source code.

But the BOM should be present on the first post of this thread. I'll post it tomorrow if it's not already there. . .

Ken Gracey
    edited 2014-08-26 01:09
    You don't need to make a mock badge because today I sent you a real DEFCON 22 badge for creating C/C++ code from our original source code.
    Yes, I know and thank you very much! I started thinking about this before you told me about that and I'm still interested in the mock badge in case I want to try badge-to-badge communications. JonnyMac already pointed out that I can do this with only one badge by having it talk to itself but it would be cool to try a two-way conversation between two badges. Also, there may be people on the forum who would like to try the badge software but don't have access to a badge. If the IR circuit is easy to construct on a breadboard, that could offer them an alternative.
    But the BOM should be present on the first post of this thread. I'll post it tomorrow if it's not already there. . .
    Thanks! I may have missed it but I looked at all of the attached files except the DipTrace ones. I don't have any way of reading those.
    edited 2014-08-26 02:40
    Dave,

U3 looks to be a IC SIGNAL CONDITIONING 36KHZ QFN

Vishay makes this device in 38 or 36KHZ, but looking at the Spin file, IR_FREQ = 36_000 is called out.

It is connected to a
    Photodiode (3.2x2.7 mm).

edited 2014-08-26 02:59
    Publison wrote: »
    Dave,

U3 looks to be a IC SIGNAL CONDITIONING 36KHZ QFN

Vishay makes this device in 38 or 36KHZ, but looking at the Spin file, IR_FREQ = 36_000 is called out.

It is connected to a
    Photodiode (3.2x2.7 mm).

Thanks! It doesn't look like that part is very breadboard friendly. I wonder if there is a through-hole version?