Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
DEFCON 22 Badge: Code, Schematics and Information Here! - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

DEFCON 22 Badge: Code, Schematics and Information Here!

Comments

• JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,927
    edited 2014-08-08 00:14
    Heater. wrote: »
    Apart from shelling out thousands of euros to get to the States, attend DEFCON, and get a badge like that, how do I get one?

You won't be able to this year -- sold out first day.
  • icemupppeticemupppet Posts: 2
    edited 2014-08-08 02:10
    _red_ and fizzymagic, thanks both of you for the help and tips! (that goon firmware made the evening a lot more interesting.) We will be at the village tomorrow, two guys with backwards black ballcaps and "sphero robot ball" tee-shirts. I would love to hang out and brain dump with you guys tomorrow!

oh btw I had to load it a little bit differently (OSX obviously)and thought I would post that here as well:
    # /Applications/PropellerIDE.app/Contents/MacOS/p1load -e goon.eeprom32.bin 

Thanks again!

The badges this year are fantastic! You won't see mine on ebay ;) sorry.

-Ice
  • ewileyewiley Posts: 1
    edited 2014-08-08 07:55
    Ooh thanks for this :)
    __red__ wrote: »
    Want to upgrade your badge to a Goon badge so you can get some interaction???

Instructions:
    1) Download goon firmware: https://pwn.me/dc22/goon.eeprom32.bin
    2) Follow the links above to install PropellerIDE
    3) Detatch USB and power-cycle.

Execute propeller-load -e goon.eeprom32.bin

Enjoy!
  • __red____red__ Posts: 470
    edited 2014-08-08 13:58
    I'm sitting opposite the Great Jon Mac listening to him preaching the good word. He's a damn good evangelizer and teacher.
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2014-08-08 14:01
    I'm sitting opposite the Great Jon Mac listening to him preaching the good word. He's a damn good evangelizer and teacher.
    Cool! Say hi for those of us who weren't able to attend. Any talk about the release of the P1 source code?
  • GenetixGenetix Posts: 1,742
    edited 2014-08-08 14:10
    Is that Korean written on the bottom of the Uber badge?
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2014-08-08 14:23
    Yes, hi to all at DEFCON 22. God I wish I was there.
    edited 2014-08-08 14:27
    Yup - they announced it at the opening ceremonies / hack the badge competition, news got solid cheers and rounds of applause.
    edited 2014-08-08 14:29
    Yup - they announced it at the opening ceremonies / hack the badge competition, news got solid cheers and rounds of applause.
    Nice!
  • DaveJensonDaveJenson Posts: 372
    edited 2014-08-08 14:56
    Genetix wrote: »
    Is that Korean written on the bottom of the Uber badge?

Yes, that is Korean. It says "Yak Yook Gang Sheek". Maybe "About 6 River Ceremony"....
    edited 2014-08-08 15:45
    DaveJenson wrote: »
    Yes, that is Korean. It says "Yak Yook Gang Sheek". Maybe "About 6 River Ceremony"....

I just thought it was strange that every other badge had an English title while the Uber badge has Korean.
  • anonymousxanonymousx Posts: 1
    edited 2014-08-08 16:38
    Genetix wrote: »
    I just thought it was strange that every other badge had an English title while the Uber badge has Korean.
    The Uber badge text translates to something like "Survival of the fittest" or "The strong survive, the weak die"
  • trollmaster_dtrollmaster_d Posts: 1
    edited 2014-08-08 17:50
    My 2 buddies and I received like the very last of the badges before they ran out. However, they don't work. Anyone else have similar issues? I can console into it but I can't really interact with it. I'm wondering if it just needs the firmware loaded on it. Can someone help me do that?
  • xorrbitxorrbit Posts: 2
    edited 2014-08-08 20:11
    Want to upgrade your badge to a Goon badge so you can get some interaction???

Instructions:
    1) Download goon firmware: https://pwn.me/dc22/goon.eeprom32.bin
    2) Follow the links above to install PropellerIDE
    3) Detatch USB and power-cycle.

Execute propeller-load -e goon.eeprom32.bin

Enjoy!

Is there a way to just load and run it to RAM? New to this stuff but I haven't dumped the human eeprom yet (I'm missing every 4th byte for some reason?!) and want to keep it on my badge for now, while just trying out the goon one (if this is even practical).

Also Ken thanks so much for all the work done for this, it really is an amazing badge and I clapped extra hard for you in the welcome talk this morning :)
    edited 2014-08-08 20:51
    Use -r instead of -e
  • xorrbitxorrbit Posts: 2
    edited 2014-08-08 21:01
    Use -r instead of -e
    Works a treat, thanks!
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2014-08-08 21:58
    xorrbit wrote: »
    Also Ken thanks so much for all the work done for this, it really is an amazing badge and I clapped extra hard for you in the welcome talk this morning :)

Thanks xorrbit! I think Chip and I were quite surprised to be recognized so nicely in front of three thousand people. It's a wonderful recognition for Parallax and we are thrilled that people like the badge.

Trollmaster_d - if you'd like I'd be happy to swap my badge out for your dysfunctional version when I leave at 3:30 pm on Saturday. You'd need to email me by noon and meet at the Rio lobby around 3:30.

- Ken
  • rivetheadrivethead Posts: 2
    edited 2014-08-09 01:02
    Is thid not the same as the defcon 20 badge, only without vga and ps2 connections?
    edited 2014-08-09 01:23
    anonymousx wrote: »
    The Uber badge text translates to something like "Survival of the fittest" or "The strong survive, the weak die"

Only the strong survive?
    edited 2014-08-09 04:42
    It's 04:42 and we're still hacking the badge... I might have something particularly evil planned :-)

EDIT; first swag completed.

Hint: I just need to find two volunteers with skype or equivalent video calling for testing.
  • supersatsupersat Posts: 1
    edited 2014-08-09 17:16
    It looks like there's a mistake or two in the schematic. It shows the IR LED being connected to P9, but the source code says it's on P14. Looking at the badge itself, it does indeed look like it's on P14. Likewise, the schematics show the IR receiver on P8, but it is actually on P15.
    edited 2014-08-09 18:46
    Just have a 15m talk on the propeller and badge hacking. Going to enter the competition tomorrow.

Just got interviewed on camera by hack-a-day, good people.

Only problem is I can't walk more than 5ft without people staring at my chest and wanting to play with it.

I guess that was inevitable when you're wearing a wide-screen networked breakout game :-)
    edited 2014-08-09 18:51
    I don't suppose there is any chance that Parallax might do another short run of the badges to sell to people who weren't able to attend the 'CON?
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-08-09 19:17
    David Betz wrote: »
    I don't suppose there is any chance that Parallax might do another short run of the badges to sell to people who weren't able to attend the 'CON?

Put it on Kickstarter for a custom run?
    edited 2014-08-09 19:21
    mindrobots wrote: »
    Put it on Kickstarter for a custom run?
    I guess it would be easiest for Parallax to do it since they've already made 14,000 of them or maybe you meant run a Kickstarter to raise the money to pay Parallax to make more?
    edited 2014-08-09 19:22
    supersat wrote: »
    It looks like there's a mistake or two in the schematic. It shows the IR LED being connected to P9, but the source code says it's on P14. Looking at the badge itself, it does indeed look like it's on P14. Likewise, the schematics show the IR receiver on P8, but it is actually on P15.

Good Catch!
    If you look under the LED you see TBD is written. TBD means to be determined.
    This drawing was in May so maybe there is a newer drawing.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2014-08-09 19:50
    David Betz wrote: »
    I guess it would be easiest for Parallax to do it since they've already made 14,000 of them or maybe you meant run a Kickstarter to raise the money to pay Parallax to make more?

Yes or Parallax could I believe have a Kickstarter for a custom run of limited edition boards...I think that is within the Kickstarter rules...but I'm not good with rules.
    edited 2014-08-09 19:51
    mindrobots wrote: »
    Yes or Parallax could I believe have a Kickstarter for a custom run of limited edition boards...I think that is within the Kickstarter rules...but I'm not good with rules.
    That would be great! We want some of these badges for the next Boston Propeller Expo! :-)
  • joshcanojoshcano Posts: 1
    edited 2014-08-09 20:49
    Made a laser tag game with a friend. download the binary here.

https://github.com/joshcano/DEFCON_22_BADGE-_TAG

Tell me what you think.
  • BitSquidBitSquid Posts: 1
    edited 2014-08-09 23:30
    Yeah if anyone could get the direct pinouts on the header blocks that would be awesome. It took a little help for our team to get our laser tag game modded for the DC22 badge because we were looking at the wrong IR LED receiver pin. If anyone has an accurate list, PLEASE post.