Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Programming Propellers from iPad - Page 16 — Parallax Forums

Programming Propellers from iPad

Comments

• Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2013-11-17 00:06
    David,
    You ported the Gordon's JavaScript to the Propeller didn't you?
    Not exactly. I simply compiled TinyJS for the Propeller. TinyJS is Gordon's for runner to the code used in Espruino. The Espruino code has moved on a lot especially gaining a lot of support for the hardware on ARM MCUs.

Never thought to measure the performance as I didn't expect it would have any!

If only I had time to get back to building the new Espruino code for the Prop.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2013-11-17 00:15
    bst is still used but it will not be enhanced. It works fine.
    homespun was the other compiler and Michael has released the source. He also had a P1 compiler (with source IIRC) that was part of Sphinx.
    Openspin is now ready.

heater: iPad is closed and that it the prime reason that it is being selected in some areas. Never thought I would support this concept, but I do as far as the iPad is concerned. I have had enough of Android problems and am just waiting to be able to compare the iPad Air and iPad Retina Mini to see which one replaces my Xoom.

Anyway, how are we going to load a binary from an iPad to the P1 cheaply (as in one per student) ???
    edited 2013-11-17 00:25
    Cluso,
    iPad is closed and that it the prime reason that it is being selected
    It's like we haven't learned anything in the 30 years since first getting exploited by the closed world of PC software. But that is a fish we can fry another day:)
    ..how are we going to load a binary from an iPad to the P1 cheaply (as in one per student) ???
    Each student has an iPrison, a Propeller robot or whatever, and a Raspberry Pi.

The Pi could even be built into said robot or whatever target system

Communication from tablet to Propeller is via WIFI to the Pi. From Pi to Propeller is via the Pi's on board UART.
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,255
    edited 2013-11-17 00:35
    I'm just going to note "iPrison" for use later. +1 Heater.

(and no, we need to keep learning these same things over and over and over it seems)
  • __red____red__ Posts: 470
    edited 2013-11-17 13:02
    Heater. wrote: »
    Not exactly. I simply compiled TinyJS for the Propeller. TinyJS is Gordon's for runner to the code used in Espruino. The Espruino code has moved on a lot especially gaining a lot of support for the hardware on ARM MCUs.

got Code?

That's the kind of hack that a number of my students might dig. They build a system that's capable of running javascript.
    edited 2013-11-17 13:11
    __red__

The original TinyJS is here: http://code.google.com/p/tiny-js/
    I forked it to build on the Prop here: https://github.com/ZiCog/tiny-js-propeller
    Both those versions compile easily on Linux or with propgcc

The new Espruino version is here: https://github.com/espruino

Espruino will take a bit of build tweaking to get it to compile for the Propeller and then it will need support adding for all the Propeller features.
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2013-11-23 11:07
    Any more thoughts on the OT or are we all waiting for Parallax to have their meetings with Apple?
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2013-11-30 08:44
    Ah, now I see where this is coming from....

Ken has 30,000 reasons to look at this.. (possibily even more on the horizon)
    http://www.businessweek.com/articles/2013-10-24/the-ipad-goes-to-school-the-rise-of-educational-tablets

While I'm still not crazy about the idea of iPads as technology devices to learn code and robotics, it's hard to ignore a platform that is being distributed so widely in the LA school district.

Jeff
  • Marka32Marka32 Posts: 41
    edited 2013-12-04 11:13
    My opinion? This thread has more FUD than a Bugs Bunny movie. The answer was presented on the first page, but for some reason, FUD and doing things the hard way seems to be the preferred answer. The Redpark solution (http://redpark.com/) seems the easiest and cheapest way to go. The Maker Shed (Oh no! It's not Parallax!) has it on sale - http://www.makershed.com/Redpark_TTL_Cable_for_iOS_p/msrp03.htm . I came across this while just browsing - http://axe4live.wordpress.com/2012/01/22/diy-midi-interface-for-ipad/ - proving that it can't be that hard to do. It should be easy enough to switch from Teensy and Arduino to Propeller. I have a friend that figured out how to add an external keyboard to the iPad - before they were available, and it wasn't wireless. Maybe Ken would want to hire him to do this, as he seems to be ahead of everybody else here. And he didn't even own an iPad at the time.

Ken, have you tried communicating with Apple about this? Sure, you are likely to get a bean counter on your first try, but, like Parallax, Apple loves the educational market and is more than willing to help its customers. I have seen them change policy to help out a small segment of their customers. Even if you can't get Apple to talk to you, who cares that it's not Apple approved? That doesn't seem to stop all the programmers out there making this kind of stuff. The iPad is a very popular tablet with loads of applications. If it was such a difficult item to program, I doubt that it would have so much software.

Of course, this is not to criticize the creative and clever ways that some of you have for getting around a problem that doesn't exist. But I believe that a simple cable, along with software that Apple may or may not approve for distribution via their software store, is the best and least expensive solution. It focuses best on the issue - programming Parallax parts - without the distraction of trying to program a bunch of other devices, that may or may not work due to interference. This fear of iPads displayed here is irrational and counter-productive. It is simply a tool. Learn to use it. Stop displaying the ignorance of Arduino users who complain that the Propeller is too hard to program.

- Mark
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 14,029
    edited 2013-12-04 11:29
    The redpark thing does look pretty good. But, maybe there are some issues...
    First, it appears that they only have one for the previous generation iPad. But maybe they'll come out with a new one for the lightening connector.
    Second, it's not clear whether the DTR toggle to reset the prop and initial programming is going to work.
    I guess you'd have to get the SDK and play around with it and see if it works.

And then, if you do come up with an app, you wouldn't be able to put it in the App store:

Q: Once I write my app, can I sell the app on the App Store?
    A: Under current Apple policy it is not possible to use the App Store to deploy apps for use with our C2-DB9, C2DB9V, C2-TTL or L2-DB9V cables.As licensed by Apple, these cables are intended for use with apps deployed privately at home, at a school, or within an enterprise.

Would it be legal for Parallax to put the app on it's website?
    edited 2013-12-04 11:52
    RedPark, good frikken grief!

Mini rant coming up...

That's 60 dollars to make a serial link of 115200 baud over a distance of one meter! A job that can be done with 10 cents worth of bell wire. Those guys who sell oxygen free directional monster cables to audiofools must wish they had thought of that, they didn't see all those Apple wielding Adrduino users coming. No wonder nobody here is interested in Apple solutions. This is not the engineering I would want to teach to anyone outside of a business administration school.

If that is the kind of solution we are being forced into we need a shed load more of that FUD to defend ourselves with.

End of rant.
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2013-12-04 11:53
    re redpark - $60 was a non starter. $40 on sale is still way too high.

I don't think anyone cares if a given part is from Parallax per se, I mean, we're talking about using the iPad already. What we care about (1) is it a reasonable technical solution and (2) is it cost effective? I couldn't get all 10 parents to buy this for the project. So that was the first of several issues.
    edited 2013-12-04 11:54
    There are always issues. But in spite of these, it didn't seem to stop people from using computers. They do have a cable for the lightning connector. http://redpark.com/lightning-serial-cable-l2-db9v/

Redpark does say that use of the cable prevents the apps from being sold on the App Store. But there is nothing that I see to prevent it from being sold/distributed elsewhere. To quote Redpark, "The cables are used in conjunction with the Redpark Serial Cable SDK. Together these tools enable hobbyist, education and enterprise developers to write iOS apps that communicate with serial devices. These apps may be deployed for private use at home, at school or in an office. Under current Apple policy this cable may not be used with apps sold on the App Store."

If you aren't happy with Redpark, surely there are other ways of communicating through the USB interface. Or, use one of the other interfaces on the iPad.

- Mark
  • dgatelydgately Posts: 1,623
    edited 2013-12-04 11:55
    Rayman wrote: »
    TFirst, it appears that they only have one for the previous generation iPad.
    And then, if you do come up with an app, you wouldn't be able to put it in the App store:

Q: Once I write my app, can I sell the app on the App Store?
    A: Under current Apple policy it is not possible to use the App Store to deploy apps for use with our C2-DB9, C2DB9V, C2-TTL or L2-DB9V cables.As licensed by Apple, these cables are intended for use with apps deployed privately at home, at a school, or within an enterprise.

Would it be legal for Parallax to put the app on it's website?

Ray,

Redpark sells a Lightning version of the cable: http://redpark.com/products/lightning-cables/ Which works with newer iPhones & iPads.

Mark,

Ken has mentioned that Parallax is in-contact with some Apple representatives (not just the bean counters). Apple still has "Evangelists" that are quite tech-savvy and engineering-oriented to work with developers.

On putting an app on Apple's AppStore... A compelling case, especially in the eduction field for a great application on iOS devices (Bluetooth, WiFi or serial based) could be all that it takes to open the door.

BTW: Have you seen these apps/products that work with iOS devices, wirelessly? (usually Bluetooth 4.0 or BLE: "low energy" equipped):

Anki DRIVE? http://store.apple.com/us/product/HD003VC/A/anki-drive-starter-kit?fnode=f8835529bb2b0dde64997a81e266eb38b44613b9c05bd80b388af87b21800d1f7e8b2aced9f797a00346e345ad26b420

Automatic: http://store.apple.com/us/product/HD778LL/A/automatic-your-smart-driving-assistant?fnode=f8835529bb2b0dde64997a81e266eb38b44613b9c05bd80b388af87b21800d1f7e8b2aced9f797a00346e345ad26b420

Wahoo Fitness RFLKT Bike Computer: http://store.apple.com/us/product/HA248ZM/B/wahoo-fitness-rflkt-bike-computer-powered-by-iphone?fnode=f8835529bb2b0dde64997a81e266eb38b44613b9c05bd80b388af87b21800d1f7e8b2aced9f797a00346e345ad26b420

Something like a Bluetooth 4.0 equipped ActivityBot could somewhat be a "next big app" for the educational market...

dgately
    edited 2013-12-04 11:58
    I think the redpark lightening cable is DB9 and not TTL... So, you'd need an additional RS232 to TTL level converter to use it...
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2013-12-04 12:02
    Marka32 wrote: »
    If you aren't happy with Redpark, surely there are other ways of communicating through the USB interface. Or, use one of the other interfaces on the iPad.

Redpark uses USB host mode right?
    How many iPad/iPod/iPhone i-devices support USB host mode?
    edited 2013-12-04 12:02
    Heater. wrote: »
    RedPark, good frikken grief!

Mini rant coming up...

That's 60 dollars to make a serial link of 115200 baud over a distance of one meter! A job that can be done with 10 cents worth of bell wire. Those guys who sell oxygen free directional monster cables to audiofools must wish they had thought of that, they didn't see all those Apple wielding Adrduino users coming. No wonder nobody here is interested in Apple solutions. This is not the engineering I would want to teach to anyone outside of a business administration school.

If that is the kind of solution we are being forced into we need a shed load more of that FUD to defend ourselves with.

End of rant.

More like OVERHeated! If you can do the job with 10 cents of bell wire, then do it. Otherwise, it's all just hot air. Your assertion that "nobody here is interested in Apple solutions" is also so much hot air. If you have nothing useful to add to the discussion, why are you here?

If your answer is the type of thing being taught, then we are being buried under FUD. I can't defend or criticize the cost of the connectors. But I can say that the answer is there, but no one sees it.

- Mark
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2013-12-04 12:07
    Mark,

Chill out.

No personal attacks. Your 30+ posting will fair poorly against 7500+ posts for Heater.

We have been discussing/debating/attacking technologies but not attacking personally through this thread, please don't ruin the fun discussion.
    edited 2013-12-04 12:13
    dgately, thank you for contributing to the thread. It's nice to see that some people actually go to the web site and look it over. Several of the questions posted here could be easily answered by just clicking on the link. You found some interesting links. Those could be the basis of solving a lot of the issues. It's good to know that Ken is in touch with Apple. That should make it go a lot easier than trying to deal with all the foaming at the mouth Apple haters I see here. Let's hope that this thread can now move forward into something productive, rather than just cries of, "It can't be done!"

- Mark
    edited 2013-12-04 12:17
    mindrobots, I don't really think of it as a personal attack. More a pun, maybe? Heater does seem to be overheated on this issue. Putting out lots of hot air. <g> As far as posting ratios, that is completely irrelevant.

- Mark
    edited 2013-12-04 12:24
    dgately wrote: »

Redpark sells a Lightning version of the cable: http://redpark.com/products/lightning-cables/ Which works with newer iPhones & iPads.
    Will it work with the iPad Mini I bought Monday? If not, it is not a solution.
    edited 2013-12-04 12:24
    re redpark - $60 was a non starter. $40 on sale is still way too high.

I don't think anyone cares if a given part is from Parallax per se, I mean, we're talking about using the iPad already. What we care about (1) is it a reasonable technical solution and (2) is it cost effective? I couldn't get all 10 parents to buy this for the project. So that was the first of several issues.

How many cables do you really need? Unless you can do the project with bluetooth CHEAP, the cables aren't all that much more. The R-Pi solution won't be any cheaper. Perhaps the brains at Parallax will come up with a new product that solves all these issues at a super low price. As the iPad can be right next to the controller being programmed, I see many ways that it can be done without the higher power levels (and cost) of bluetooth.

- Mark
    edited 2013-12-04 12:36
    ... I see many ways that it can be done without the higher power levels (and cost) of bluetooth.

Do tell !

You've offered only one solution so far where you have ignored questions of it's viability.
    edited 2013-12-04 12:47
    Marka32,
    OVERHeated!
    No, I'm just warming up.
    If you can do the job with 10 cents of bell wire, then do it.
    It seems it's impossible if you start with an iPad at one end of that bell wire. Perhaps it's impossible with Android devices as well. Nobody seems to have found such a cheap and cheerful solution yet. Otherwise we'd all be using it for all kinds of projects already.

Do you remember, not long ago, computers came with serial and parallel ports? Making such a connection for 10 cents was dead easy. From the earliest days it was easy to add things to your Apple, C64, Sinclair, whatever. Back in the day I remember young teenagers building robots for a "micro mouse" maze solving competition. They would build their robots out of Tupperware boxes and such and lash their Sinclair ZX81s on top with elastic bands. All programming was done on the robot itself. They were learning something.

Can you see why us oldies are in a state of shock at a sixty dollar, single use solution? What happened? How did things become so complex, expensive and closed? That sixty dollar cable does not even get you to the point of being able to develop any code for a Propeller on your iPrison yet. As such it's not even a solution.

As it happens one can still do it today. One can do Propeller development on a Raspberry Pi with a few centimeters of any old wire joining the two. Cheap and far more flexible.
    Your assertion that "nobody here is interested in Apple solutions" is also so much hot air.
    Perhaps, but I'm hearing a lot voices here expressing much the same opinion. If your opinion is that throwing money at artificial problems is OK then that's OK, you are welcome to do so. We just don't happen to subscribe to that philosophy.
    If you have nothing useful to add to the discussion, why are you here?
    See earlier in the thread for some of my suggestions for cheaper, more flexible and more educational solutions. Perhaps you don't like those solutions, that's fine, but that is no reason to be rude.
  • Bill HenningBill Henning Posts: 6,445
    edited 2013-12-04 15:26
    I sure do like my open Androids, that don't restrict me from using bluetooth serial profile... some also support USB OTG.

I also recently (GASP) picked up a Lenovo Win8 tablet (it was cheap) to make sure some web apps I'm building will work fine on WinTablets. I'll install some prop tools on it and see how it fares with a PropPlug or talking to a QuickStart. The best thing about it is the 11.6" screen, which allows a decent size keyboard - it is actually touch typable.

Fortunately, my wife has an iPod and an iPad, so I can use those for testing.

I wonder if it is too late to try to get a WebSerial API into HTML 5?
    edited 2013-12-04 16:15
    Redpark does say that use of the cable prevents the apps from being sold on the App Store. But there is nothing that I see to prevent it from being sold/distributed elsewhere. To quote Redpark, "The cables are used in conjunction with the Redpark Serial Cable SDK. Together these tools enable hobbyist, education and enterprise developers to write iOS apps that communicate with serial devices. These apps may be deployed for private use at home, at school or in an office. Under current Apple policy this cable may not be used with apps sold on the App Store."

I'm no lawyer, but the phrase "for private use" concerns me here...
  • dgatelydgately Posts: 1,623
    edited 2013-12-04 22:47
    jazzed wrote: »
    Will it work with the iPad Mini I bought Monday? If not, it is not a solution.

Jazzed,

You'll have to ask RedPark if their cable works with the latest iPads to be sure, but I assume that it would. Not sure that the RedPark cable is a great solution anyway, but could provide a good enough development testbed.

Been looking at Punch Through's "LightBlue Cortado", which is a small Bluetooth 4.0 device that is Arduino compatible: https://launch.punchthrough.com... Not sure if the Cortado is itself a great solution but it provides proof of an inexpensive alternative to the Redpark cables...

Oh, and a new iPad Mini? Hmm, when did you drink that special Kool Aid, I sent you?

dgately
  • Peter KG6LSEPeter KG6LSE Posts: 1,383
    edited 2013-12-04 23:21
    There are 2 things at play here.

We can all agree that the IOS is a VERY hostile system to make work with hardware interfaces of many kinds
    and that In a ideal world the Schools would have never bought a Itoy ........ fact is ....... Parallax seams to want to support for the most part IOS as its what there target market is running .

* irony the flip is true with there Desktop apps* as they never made In house MAC or *nix tools for there hot product the BS2 .*

Now that all said and done ......... FORGET the ease of any other enviroment ..

Lets brain storm . If we can get the Apollo 13 crew back on a sock duct tape and a binder cover then a I thingy is gonna be a snap ....

We have a crew in orbit and they have a I pad and a Prop that runs all the envromental controlls that needs to be reprogrammed as if not the cabin is gonna vent to space in 24H

START !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK so Lets make a List on what we know of each mode of I/O the off the rack Ipad can do .

AUdio serial .
    this is simlple but it has hardware issues Outside of the tablet .
    Bluetooth ,
    would be the holy grail but it has apple's nutty issues .
    WIFI
    Like Bluetooth but needs a smart Micon at the other end of the link . so you cant just dump the data direct .

Let me add a few to Ponder and discuss

OK We would love it make it as simple as possable .

Apple sells the cam connect kit that lets you stick a SD card on to a IOS system ...

Can we write files to it !?

If so can a prop read and use the SD card AS the EEprom ..

Or can the small normal EEPROM be use as a bootloader and then have it point to the SD .

With this there is no need to have fast data tranasfer to the prop and time things . and the hardware is COTS . and you can get at a best buy ect . the kit is like 50 bucks....... Its not cheap but its doable

OK how about use the screen as the meduim !
    how fast can we strobe the screen ...... it worked for DATA WATCH bac in the 90s .......
    Its a few KB we need to Xfer not a movie ........

Peter ...........
  • frank freedmanfrank freedman Posts: 1,977
    edited 2013-12-05 15:46
    Given the recent price drops for the surface RT and the price of the new RT, has anyone looked at those for prop development?
  • msrobotsmsrobots Posts: 3,704
    edited 2013-12-05 16:34
    @marka32
    But I can say that the answer is there, but no one sees it.

I do. It states that
    These apps may be deployed for private use at home, at school or in an office.

And that is what Ken was asking for. Schools.

But IMHO that cable is more expensive than a RasPi + WIFI.

Again I do have to agree with @heater. :smile: Somebody needs to build a RasPi + P1 solution.

@FF

If you are talking about Microsoft Win RT? It is declared official dead by Microsoft already.

Enjoy!

Mike