Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Clickable link howto? — Parallax Forums

Clickable link howto?

RickBRickB Posts: 395
edited 2004-12-28 21:16 in General Discussion
While I have figured out to create a clickable link by manually keying in the correct url notation at the beginning and end of a url, I have NOT figured out how to do it with the button.Placing the cursor at the end of a url and clicking the button puts "{url}" at the end. placing the cursor at the beginning also results in "{url}" at the end. Highlighting/selecting the url puts "{/url}" at the end. If anything is on the next line, the the notation is always at the end of that line. I have not been able to put a notation at the BEGINNING of a line. (I have used curly brackets the above examples for obvious reasons.) Help could be better. Help.

Rick

Comments

• Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-12-28 15:00
    It's easy when you use the post editor, which you don't get in the Quick Reply panel.· Click on the Post Reply button to get to the editor.· On the toolbar you'll see an icon that looks like a globe with a link of chain.· When you click on it you will get a dialog that allows you to insert the link.

On that, I've notice that simply typing the links in the full editor seems to work as well.·

www.parallax.com

I simply typed the line above.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
  • RickBRickB Posts: 395
    edited 2004-12-28 15:41
    Jon: There are some differences between what we see in our post editors and the results. Instead of a globe with a link of chain I see a button with "url" on it. Clicking on it does not result in a window opening up. (see previous post for results) manually typing in address does not result in a clickable link unless the proper "url" designators are placed at the beginning and end. As I am typing this, I figured it out . Press the url button once before placing the link in the text, and once after palcing the link. This bit of info should be in the help. The above differences are still puzzling.

Rick
  • Jim McCorisonJim McCorison Posts: 359
    edited 2004-12-28 15:44
    Jon,

What you see will depend on the browser you are using. In IE, the Post Reply feature shows a globe and chain icon. However, in Firefox (and probably related derivations like Netscape), it shows a row of buttons with text in them. There is a button with URL which will insert the string ' [noparse][[/noparse] u r l ] ' in the text.

In fact, they way the UI works between IE and Firefox is dramatically different. The IE interface is nicer and easier, but then again, you have to tolerate IE to use it. smile.gif

What RickB points out, is that in Firefox the inserted psuedo-html goes at the end of the text regardless of where the insertion bar is. Kind of frustrating. I've found the formatting buttons are more usefull for learning how to type the actual codes in, than they are for pushing a button to insert them.

RickB, you can close out the tag you are trying to insert (e.g. '[noparse][[/noparse] / u r l ] ') by pressing the shift key, then clicking on the desired button.

Cheers,
    Jim
  • Jon WilliamsJon Williams Posts: 6,491
    edited 2004-12-28 15:58
    Sorry, I thought that Bill Gates had happily taken over the browser world and IE was the choice. Silly me. Well, I guess that's why Jim (IT Guy) setup the test forum.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jon Williams
    Applications Engineer, Parallax
    Dallas Office
  • Jim EwaldJim Ewald Posts: 733
    edited 2004-12-28 16:15
    The buttons are different depending on what browser one is using. Inserting a URL, like www.parallax.com also behaves a little differently if you are using something other than Internet Explorer. With FireFox, clicking on the URL button turns a 'URL mode' to on. You enter the full URL, including the 'http://' part. Then you click on the URL button again to turn the 'URL mode' off. It's about as intuative as stripping a rifle while blind-folded when you have never seen a rifle before.

Please let me know if there is a better interface out there on the Net - I'm sure it exists. We might be able to take the best of both worlds before the version 3 beta of dotNetBB is released.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Jim

Parallax IT Dept.
  • RickBRickB Posts: 395
    edited 2004-12-28 21:16
    To all: Just adding to the help files would help.
    Jim: Thanks for explaining the reasons for the differences. That may explain why I can't "see" some things in a Proton Basic forum that others can see.

Rick