Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Acrylic enclosures for P2 EVAL - Available now - Page 4 — Parallax Forums

Acrylic enclosures for P2 EVAL - Available now

Comments

• David Betz wrote: »
    Hmmm... I wonder why I'm the only one who had trouble assembling it? I agree though that it's a very nice looking enclosure!
    He already explained that you accidentally got a prototype piece, and that he was going to send you another.
  • whicker wrote: »
    David Betz wrote: »
    Hmmm... I wonder why I'm the only one who had trouble assembling it? I agree though that it's a very nice looking enclosure!
    He already explained that you accidentally got a prototype piece, and that he was going to send you another.
    Yeah, I know but I figured others might have had the same problem. I'm glad they didn't!

• I liked all of them and was leaning towards the wood look but I finally made up my mind LOL and went with the Blue one :)

• tomcrawfordtomcrawford Posts: 1,126
    edited 2018-12-11 02:37
    Getting the paper off the panels: Start by wetting and warming a corner, then be gentle. Wine is a good wettor.

Directions don't say which way is "up" for the fan!

Edit: Wow! Makes a remarkably sturdy box. I had no idea! As I was pushing tab A into slot B I was wondering what kind of glue. But none at all.
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,009
    Getting the paper off the panels: Start by wetting and warming a corner, then be gentle. Wine is a good wettor.

Directions don't say which way is "up" for the fan!
    Lol, directions don't even mention a fan!

I've had some of the acrylic for several years, The older it gets, the harder the backing is to peel off. Getting it warm with a hairdryer restores the ease of peeling, haven't tried wetting it.

But since you mentioned it, alcohol is not good for acrylic. It can cause crazing. Probably wouldn't matter for the low percentage of it in wine but it's best to avoid solvents.
  • For removing the paper, I just scraped the corners with a knife at a high angle. Just enough to pinch it with my fingernails (maybe 2-4mm), then it came right up. Dunno how hard it would have been if I heated it, but it wasn't bad doing it that way.
  • Got mine in the mail yesterday!
    3024 x 4032 - 3M
  • "Your package will arrive later than expected, but is still on its way. It is currently in transit to the next facility."

*waves fist at USPS* ;-)
  • Has anyone heard anything about P2-ES board shipments?
  • David Betz wrote: »
    Has anyone heard anything about P2-ES board shipments?

Last I heard was when someone toured the Parallax facility and saw the P2-ES boards on the assembly line. Before that, Ken was hoping for end of last week, I think, as a ship date? So... maybe end of this week?
  • Chip mentioned doing some final thing related to the power circuits to get them into production end of last week.
    I'm hopeful that means they will start shipping this week.
    The Overclocker's version w/fan has been more popular than I anticipated. I am currently waiting for another order of fans to come in.

Anyone that wants the Overclocker's Enclosure, but without a fan, just leave a note when ordering and I will refund $6.00 and I will also include a spacer to take the place of the fan so that it can be assembled without the fan. It is designed for a 50mm fan (40mm hole spacing) with a 10mm thickness.

Assembly instructions were added to the first post, I'll put them here as well;

Assy%20Instructions%20v1.pdf

Assy%20Instruction%20Fan%20BW.pdf
  • @W9GFO I got the replacement bottom plate for my enclosure and everything fits together nicely now. Thanks!
  • @W9GFO I got mine this week and everything fit together great. I love the small chamfer on the top and bottom! I need to try that for some of my laser cut projects.
  • Now we just need the P2-ES boards! :smile:
  • Chip is in Rocklin this Monday through Wednesday to test and release the P2 boards.

We have to move our PnP/through-hole line on to other projects so his time is now.

It seems we will be shipping shortly.

Ken Gracey
  • YES!!! Thanks for update Ken.
  • Awesome. I know it does not need to be said, but no worries. Gets done when it is done. Would rather it be good than fast.

Chipmas real soon!
  • Got my Overclocker Edition. Went together without a hitch. Nice touch on the extra jumpers!
    If you are one of the unlucky five that are not getting boards AND you have ordered an enclosure, please let me know.
  • W9GFO
    I have one and another waiting to ship with a fan and will not be getting a board
  • Case looks great and went together very smoothly. Love the beveled edges. Did you use a mill to do that?
    JonnyMac wrote: »
    Case looks great and went together very smoothly. Love the beveled edges. Did you use a mill to do that?

Thanks! I use a router table with a chamfer bit.

• Got mine together, beautiful.

Sadly I lost the setscrew for the reset button. Went right between my knees and disappeared in a time warp zone or another dimension. Not sure yet. I do for sure have another one somewhere that will replace it, so no worry. Even works without.

This is a very nice enclosure. @W9GFO you did a really, really nice job, including the instruction page. Engineering at its finest.

A couple of years ago I build a RapMan 3D printer, made out of a million acrylic parts hold together by 4 million bolts, washers and nuts. It was a nightmare to assemble, especially because you had to be very careful not to overtight and break the acrylic. It took me days to build it.

Your enclosure on the other hand went together in a breeze. Could you maybe make enclosures for other Parallax Boards too? Sort of as a side business? I used my 3D printer to print some small protectors to put my boards in, just to prevent the bottom to get in contact with my metal desk, but first they where warped, second they where quite ugly and third my 3D printer died some years ago.

At the last Parallax Expo I went (way to long ago) somebody sold a nice enclosure for the PPDB including a space for the PropScope, this is my most used board to play with and I love this enclosure. Nothing can go wrong with the desk, tools or cut of wires touching the bottom of the PCB.

Anyways, thank you very much for doing this for the P2 EVAL.

Mike
    msrobots wrote: »
    Got mine together, beautiful.

Thanks for the kind words.

I have been thinking about making other enclosures, which board to you think I should target first?

Mountain King was the company that sold those enclosures. I do not think they are still doing that though.
  • Parallax is sadly not building the PPDB either, I should have gotten two of them.

I think this one would be nice: https://www.parallax.com/product/32912 Propeller Activity Board WX
    Might also fit for this one:https://www.parallax.com/product/32900 Propeller Board of Education

They look quite alike.

Mike
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2018-12-22 23:24
    Mike, do you you have a pic of the enclosure with the Propscope?
    At the last Parallax Expo I went (way to long ago) somebody sold a nice enclosure for the PPDB including a space for the PropScope, this is my most used board to play with and I love this enclosure. Nothing can go wrong with the desk, tools or cut of wires touching the bottom of the PCB. [\qoute]
  • The PPDB is GREAT! Should be a re-run of those sometime. I would replace the one I've lost to damage. Was my favorite Prop board.

I would like to see a picture of that enclosure too.

• @W9GFO I'm in for one! Had to get Xmas sorted first. Looking forward to it. Thanks for your work.

• potatohead, I have a "few" PPDBs. Snapped a couple up when they were deep discounted at end of life. I also have both of Mountain King's PPDB enclosures (the normal one and the one with room for the propscope under).
    I'll get you a pic later tonight, dealing with some xmas stuff right now.