Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Acrylic enclosures for P2 EVAL - Available now - Page 2 — Parallax Forums

Acrylic enclosures for P2 EVAL - Available now

Comments

• Once I get an eval board, I will order a fanless enclosure.
  • I will buy a fanless enclosure once I have an eval board.

John Abshier
  • W9GFOW9GFO Posts: 4,009
    Yanomani wrote: »
    Hi W9GFO

Your design seems to be so versatile that, even without the inside mounted fan, it could be left at the table top, standing by one of its sides (sure, the logos are not meant to be upside down viewed).

Like this?

P2%20EVAL%20NF%20CLR%20S1.png
    813 x 600 - 631K
  • Art
  • This is great, W9GFO.

We can leave the car battery out of the package, too.

Ken Gracey
    edited 2018-11-28 18:19
    Please see first post in thread - I've edited it to reflect current thinking.
  • It's eye attracting!

The reflections at top left (it's a window?); they're adding a bit of depth and ambience to the perspective view.

Looks like a trophy! :smile:
  • marsman2020marsman2020 Posts: 71
    edited 2018-11-28 18:25
    I'd like to buy one of the latest non-fan version, assuming I get my hands on one of the first round eval boards.

I agree it looks like a trophy! Maybe I can get Chip to sign it at the P2 Expo next spring :)

The reflections at top left (it's a window?)...

Actually its a grid light, CAD software sure has come a long way since I first started using it.
  • Ken Gracey wrote: »
    This is great, W9GFO.

We can leave the car battery out of the package, too.

Ken Gracey

Parallax teamwork did an excellent job! Congratulations!

But, even a Louboutin, lacking some fancy enclosure, is only a pair of shoes.

With an enclosure like that, it's kind of a statement:

"This is how we treat our engineering samples.

Now, just immagine how much we care the final products we bring to you!"

Henrique
  • W9GFO wrote: »

The reflections at top left (it's a window?)...

Actually its a grid light, CAD software sure has come a long way since I first started using it.

Amazing!

I've totaly forgot about ray tracing and its uses. The image just surpassed the expectations.

When I saw it, I was listenning to Focus, Hocus Pocus (live, 1973)... matched the whole feeling about it.
  • Awesome! Looks wonderful.
  • PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2018-11-29 19:05
    A non-fan in my future. You might get busy soon now that the eval board is out.
    The plan is to put these on my mom's etsy shop. That'll take care of payment processing, shipping, taxes and selection of enclosure type and color. Should have it set up by Saturday.
    The plan is to put these on my mom's etsy shop. That'll take care of payment processing, shipping, taxes and selection of enclosure type and color. Should have it set up by Saturday.

Awesome, Thanks! : ]

Thanks Rich, and thanks for doing this.
    Publison wrote: »

Thanks Rich, and thanks for doing this.

I enjoy this sort of thing. Making a few bucks is nice too. :)

P2%20EVAL%20NF%20Dark%2002%20s.png
    1140 x 800 - 705K
  • That's a great angle shot. Shows all the cutouts perfectly.
    The enclosures are now available to be ordered. I've added a cutout and a slot for ease of extracting the SD card. I also added a threaded hole and small screw for the reset button.

P2EVAL Board Enclosure
    P2EVAL Board Enclosure w/Fan - Overclocker's version

If the links don't work you can find them by going to the HarmanArt shop on etsy.com and looking under the "Enclosures" category.

Std%20s.jpgBlue%20s.jpg

Std%20Clr%20s.jpgFan%20clr%20s.jpg
    757 x 600 - 314K
    753 x 600 - 299K
    824 x 600 - 276K
    735 x 600 - 263K
  • roglohrogloh Posts: 5,119
    edited 2018-12-04 01:58
    Very nice - I particularly like the fan cutout pattern which looks like a propeller as well. Was thinking of doing something similar for my board to save drilling a huge hole for the fan. I think the PCB house can mill/route out some similar shapes for hopefully no additional cost but for some reason I think they stated drilling large holes are extra - weird as they should be able to route it out anyway.
  • Awesome, just ordered mine. : ]
    The enclosures are now available to be ordered. I've added a cutout and a slot for ease of extracting the SD card. I also added a threaded hole and small screw for the reset button...

Hi W9GFO

The more I look at it, the more I like it.

Now, you'd attracted my eyes to the Reset button and the newly added threaded hole & little screw, then, something did called my attention when I was following the contour of the curved cut you'd used to set free the lever vertical movement, enabling it to be pressed, giving P2 a good "reset".

Well, one of the lessons my father teached me, when I was 7 y.o. (now, I'm reaching my 63s), was how to avoid little wearing cracks, that used to plague the rubber carpets of our family's 1948 Chevrolet Fleetmaster, to progress freely, till the pieces were completelly torn appart and damaged, thus needing a full replacement (and sure, being charged for).

The trick was about using a hollow and sharped border metal tool, to carve two small oriffices, one at each extremity of the cracks, allowing the rubber to be stretched and torsioned, without any signs of further crack propagation.

My father died in 1995, the Fleetmaster is supposed to be waiting thirty more years, at my uncle's home garage, till it can be sold as a piece of relicary and rusty metal art, to some old car museum, or to be used by my uncle's, as a coffin, wichever happens to take place first.

The last set of brand original carpets, that my father did purchased, by the 60's, is still there, covering the Chevrolet's many times painted metal floor.

Perhaps, so there are also many pairs of little holes , playing their ~70 year-long roles.

The same trick works with countless materials, either soft or hard, and acrylic is no exception.

Sorry for those many reminiscenses of my own...
    edited 2018-12-04 11:46
    Now, you'd attracted my eyes to the Reset button and the newly added threaded hole & little screw, then, something did called my attention when I was following the contour of the curved cut you'd used to set free the lever vertical movement, enabling it to be pressed, giving P2 a good "reset".

Well, one of the lessons my father teached me, when I was 7 y.o. (now, I'm reaching my 63s), was how to avoid little wearing cracks, ...

Sounds like you are describing stop-drilling - although on a larger scale using a hole punch on the carpets.

I originally drew up the design with some small holes at the ends of the "cracks" but decided that I didn't like them. They aren't actually cracks of course and there is a small radius at the ends - it is not a single path but two paths very close together joined by semicircles to create more of a gap.

I added the screw not so much to require less bend in order to reach the reset button, but to make pressing the reset easier. The width of that part is only 10mm and it required pressing with the tip of the finger or fingernail in order to get it to bend the right amount. Adding the screw solves that by having a nub that sticks up and it has the added bonus that it can be adjusted to require minimal deflection of the acrylic.
  • Thanks W9GFO by having explained the routing process.

The viewing angle of the last set of images was not that favorable, and my eyes are sure unfavorable, so seeing the gaps are not that easy, at least to me.

Anyway, the gap is really terminated by two semicircular curves, wich is very good, for at least... the next seven decades. :lol:

Long life to your acrylic enclosures! Long life to P2 and Parallax! Long life to us all!!!
    edited 2018-12-06 03:04
    I made one out of Red Alder, I think it turned out pretty nice.

P2 EVAL Board Enclosure - Red Alder

Wood%2001%20s.jpg

• That's fantastic W9GFO!
  • Woh! Is it too late to change my order?
    DavidZemon wrote: »
    Woh! Is it too late to change my order?

Let me check...

• Too late for mine. It’s already shipped. :smile:
    DavidZemon wrote: »
    Woh! Is it too late to change my order?

Unfortunately it is too late to change the order because it has already been shipped, but you can send it back and we'll cover the shipping on the next one.