Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Pi Zero - a $5 computer! — Parallax Forums

Pi Zero - a $5 computer!

LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
edited 2015-11-26 08:53 in General Discussion
The Raspberry Pi Zero, costing $5, has been announced:

https://www.raspberrypi.org/blog/raspberry-pi-zero/

They can be ordered now, but aren't actually in stock yet (at Farnell, at any rate). I've ordered a couple.

Comments

• ColeyColey Posts: 1,108
    That's quite scary really, especially when you consider the price that the P2 is rumoured to be.
    I already use Pi in a couple of projects I've done, it's a great piece of kit, not as much fun as Prop though ;-)
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    It just means that when the P2 comes out it had better be in the PI Zero form factor so that millions of kids can make use of it easily and cheaply.

It's a mystery to me why Parallax has not had a Raspi form factor P1 board out years ago. That is a huge potential audience out there. And they are both aligned in that education orientation.
  • LoopyBytelooseLoopyByteloose Posts: 12,537
    edited 2015-11-26 10:49
    Merely $5 USD!!!!
    http://www.adafruit.com/pizero

???????????????? Where? It seems you can have a bundled starter package for $29 USB, but the$5 bare bones is out of stock. The naughty boys are at it again.
  • jmgjmg Posts: 15,145
    edited 2015-11-26 10:01
    Heater. wrote: »
    It just means that when the P2 comes out it had better be in the PI Zero form factor so that millions of kids can make use of it easily and cheaply.

Yes, the pin header is defined, and the form factor looks useful, and P2 can give access to Video options & hard real time options, that Pi does not cover.
    Where? It seems you can have a bundled stater package for $29 USB, but the$5 bare bones is out of stock. The naughty boys are at it again.

Yes, there is a slight element of 'Stone Soup' to this, but there are still some niche areas that could use a PiZero module + header - and that $5 seems simply nuts.
    How many layers is that PCB ?

• LeonLeon Posts: 7,620
    edited 2015-11-26 10:04
    Yes, the $5 price is a bit misleading. The price from Farnell here in the UK is £11.88, which I make $17.90. Shipping is free.

However, they are providing them free with the current issue of MagPi magazine.
    Oh Loopy, come on. Nobody is being naughty here.

They just launched the thing. They have about 10000 units ready. A huge percentage of the 7 million existing Pi owners will want one. Of course it's out of stock.

Distributors will put a mark up on the sale. Adafruit has a huge mark up. That's how capitalism works.

Or you can order a Pi Zero from here: https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/raspberry-pi-zero for 4 quid. That's 6 dollars.
    edited 2015-11-26 11:57
    jmg,
    "Stone soup"
    Mmm...yummy...I have some rocks here if you need more :)
    ...niche areas that could use a PiZero module + header...
    Exactly. And a niche area among 7 million potential customers seems like like a big niche to me. I can't understand why Parallax is not all over this.
    A slight disadvantage is the lack of a full-size USB connector. To use a wireless keyboard and mouse will require an adaptor for the wi-fi dongle.
    I bet it's used more in an embedded device environment rather than a computer, making more use of the I/O, for $5 it's a no-brainer.

@Loopy, we know you don't care for the Pi, that's OK, everyone is entitled to their own opinions, you can't deny though that it's been a massive success and I believe this will be too.
    Keep smilin' :D

• Coley wrote: »
    That's quite scary really, especially when you consider the price that the P2 is rumoured to be.
    I already use Pi in a couple of projects I've done, it's a great piece of kit, not as much fun as Prop though ;-)

Much as I like Linux.... it is still easier to use a Propeller if I don't require a network and a file system.

Recently in the Taiwan news there was mention that ARM sales are the only sector of the computer industry that is growing these days. So it seems that the SoC devices are here to stay.

And yes, I do wonder if it is too small.

Loopy,

"too small"?

There is no pleasing some people.

What is annoying is to have such a neat small machine and then have to use all those honking big adapters and cables to hook it up.

I think I'm going to bust open a 2 dollar USB/WIFI dongle, rip the USB socket off the Pi and bodge the WIFI circuit directly onto the board. That I'll show it :)
    Neat little board :cool:
    2048 x 1152 - 538K
  • It's also being given away as a "Free Gift" on the front of the MagPi magazine (which cost ~£6). It must be the first time any one has bought a computer magazine and got a free computer :-)
    So they claim.
    I checked in WH Smith this afternoon to see if they had a copy, but they didn't. I could have ordered one.
    edited 2015-11-26 16:38
    Heater. wrote: »
    Loopy,

"too small"?

There is no pleasing some people.

What is annoying is to have such a neat small machine and then have to use all those honking big adapters and cables to hook it up.

I think I'm going to bust open a 2 dollar USB/WIFI dongle, rip the USB socket off the Pi and bodge the WIFI circuit directly onto the board. That I'll show it :)

I think you pretty much hit the nail on the head about why I think it might be too small. By the time I get everything in place to make it work, I end up with something that is too fragile for normal use.

Even my Cubieboard1 is giving me similar trouble. I can't seem to figure out any way to build an enclosure for it that isn't an order of magnitude larger in volume.

I really don't see why a SoC device that supposedly is attached to an HDMI display with keyboard and mouse needs to be so compact.

But I am interested in tiny headless Linux with wifi, like your VoCore boards. Let's just say that some applications are better suited for tiny boards.

Sadly, I am not in the U.K. So I can't buy a copy of Magpi. That seems to be the best means of purchase.

• TonyD wrote: »
    It's also being given away as a "Free Gift" on the front of the MagPi magazine (which cost ~£6). It must be the first time any one has bought a computer magazine and got a free computer :-)

Once bought a box of Alpha-Bits for the copy of "Last Train To Clarksville" embossed on the back. Things have moved on quite a bit. :) Can you imagine what a sensation a single RPi Zero would have caused in 1969?!

• The problem I see with the Zero is that it is essentially a headless terminal with no comms. In order to add either networking or serial to it and still use a keyboard or mouse you have to add a USB hub and either serial, wifi, or ethernet adapter, all of which are likely to be bigger than the Zero.
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2015-11-26 16:55
    Linux node for propforth for $5 is good enough for me.

Can we get power and clock from the RPi board? We ran multiple bare prop chip from a single quickstart, to get 16 and 24 cogs on mulitprop projects, and all we needed was a couple resistors and five wires. Anything to prevent this on Pi Zero?

I'm thinking Pi Zero + P8X32A DIP and a some wires would be a good basis for a school robot project.
    @localroger,

We can in fact connect directly to the UART pins on the GPIO header. That is how we program Propellers from the Raspi. All the tools you need, SimpleIDE, PropellerID, prop-gcc, OpenSpin run on the Raspi so it make a really neat self hosted system. Cheaper than a Prop Plug !

It's annoying to need an adapter for a tiny USB WIFI dongle. If it were down to me I would have used the usual USB socket and skipped the micro-usb power port. Why not just power it from the pins on the GPIO header?

Put then we can always attach a zigbee or LoRa module for wireless communications.

@braino,

Certainly take power from the GPIO header. I guess one of those pins can be configured as a clock if need be.

edited 2015-11-26 17:32
    I am beginning to think all the profit in producing consumer electronics has shifted over to selling adapters, power supplies, and add-ons.

Sorry, but I am still loyal to Cubieboards....less adapters.
    http://www.cubieboard.org
    http://dl.cubieboard.org/model/cubietruck/Video/Cubietruck Unboxing- German.mp4
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    At this price they will sell like hot cakes!

A keyboard can be added via the header and a small adapter.

And a really powerful prop plug :)
    Oh yeah, there has always been a huge markup/profit margin on cables plus and adapters. That why consumer stores have large areas dedicated to them. I believe they kept Radio Shack in business for a long time.

It looks even more extortionate now that the things you want to connect to are so cheap!

Luckily all my ARM boards, Pi or otherwise, only need a tiny two dollar USB/WIFI dongle.

This new little Pi may be a challenge though, we will see.

It's OK to be loyal to your Cubie, you will learn :)

edited 2015-11-26 17:46
    What you need is one of these....

Propeller HAT for Raspberry Pi, I think Parallax are selling them too

Edit: https://parallax.com/product/32230

Back_1024x1024.JPG?v=1424881477
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    I am beginning to think all the profit in producing consumer electronics has shifted over to selling adapters, power supplies, and add-ons.

Sorry, but I am still loyal to Cubieboards....less adapters.
    http://www.cubieboard.org
    http://dl.cubieboard.org/model/cubietruck/Video/Cubietruck Unboxing- German.mp4

A reasonable conclusion, particularly when one considers what some idioaudiophiles are willing to pay for cables.
    Yes that's just what I need. Thanks, I had forgotten all about that board.
  • yetiyeti Posts: 818
    edited 2015-11-26 18:10
    $5 PI-zero preorders: 15€ + shipping
    http://www.pollin.de/shop/cp/Raspberry.html

Maybe the $5 simply was a typo and should be $15... :-P
    edited 2015-11-26 18:23
    Nope, Pimoroni has been selling them for 4 GBP. That's 6 USD. An amazingly low mark up don't you think?

About 5.7 Euro, the price of a pint around here.

Out of stock of course. Hardly surprising, I expect the demand is huge!
  • I am thinking that even at $15 that is one heck of a good price. But what really turns me off is that soldering that you would have to do.:-)

Ray
    Ray,

What's up? Everyone around here should be soldering. The smell of flux, the searing pain of scorched fingers, the wife complaining about the burn marks in the table, how else do you know you are alive?

;)

This discussion has been closed.