Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
New Cheap Windows Tablet - Page 6 — Parallax Forums

New Cheap Windows Tablet

Comments

• tonyp12tonyp12 Posts: 1,950
    edited 2016-04-19 20:18
    Walmart instore only (check inventory online, but they may not "find" it when you get there)
    $78 RCA 10.1" Windows10 with 2GB ram and full size USB2.0
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Cambio-with-WiFi-10.1-Touchscreen-Tablet-PC-Featuring-Windows-10-Operating-System-Black/49532862

online $99 but multiple color choices and guaranteed no rat race.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-Cambio-10.1-2-in-1-Tablet-32GB-Intel-Quad-Core-Windows-10/45804385
  • $60.00 at my local store! Free Pickup. 32Gb drive. Supports 128Gb SD. What's not to like.
  • ercoerco Posts: 20,254
    Great find, Tony!

Jim, def nab that one for $60! How'd you manage that?

Localroger, you gonna hunt one down?

Tempting, but I have several tablet combos already.

But all are 1 GB RAM...

Hmmm........
  • erco wrote: »
    Great find, Tony!

Jim, def nab that one for $60! How'd you manage that?

Localroger, you gonna hunt one down?

Tempting, but I have several tablet combos already.

But all are 1 GB RAM...

Hmmm........

The RCA is 2GB RAM, 32 GB Disk and will support 128Gb uSD. I have been trying to buy online for store pickup, but it looks like I have to drive a half hour to pick one up. Looks like 7 in stock at my store. I let you know tomorrow.

Keyboard is a plus. Thanks Tony!

• I can pick up an extra if anyone is interested. I will be there at 10:00 AM on Wednesday.
  • While you charge the battery first time, go to settings/update
    And let it go through that for an hour, as it nearly needs a new windows overhaul.

• PublisonPublison Posts: 12,366
    edited 2016-04-20 00:51
    Good to know. Thanks!
    It's very nice.

Don't tell my wifey. :)
  • Screen have a good viewing contrast and angles, touch is responsive.
    Keyboard is nice with scissor action, you can mount it reverse to use it as stand.

The Atom Z3735F is very fast and is in Celeron territory.
    http://cpuboss.com/cpus/Intel-Core-i3-4010U-vs-Intel-Atom-Z3735F
  • Mine was $78. Online they showed one at the store I visited....in the cabinet, they had 5 or so. Moral, if you drive by a Walmart and want one, you may as well drop in to check the physical inventory.

So far? Wow! Quite a lot for $78! It's now happily sucking down privacy invasive Win10 updates while it charges.

I was pleased to see the full size USB port. When I get home I want to try it with the P2 programming tools and the P2 FPGA board attache to it. If it can handle being a $78 P2 workstation that can just live at work, it's worth the money right there!

It's still WIndows but sometimes you need to sleep in the enemy camp.
    edited 2016-04-20 12:50
    Definitely worth more than two RasPis.

Localroger can't sit this one out.
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    erco,
    Definitely worth more than two RasPis
    I very much doubt it.
  • Sometimes, no matter how many finely crafted swiss watchmaker screw drivers you have, if you need a hammer, you need a hammer!!
  • The upgrades to the upgrades are finally done and all the left over crufty files have been cleaned up.

A freshly scrubbed 32GB system with nothing additional installed has 19.8GB of free space on it. Pop an SD card in there and that should be more than enough storage.

It's not the quickest horse in the stable but it should get some work done. CPUBENCHMARK.NET gives it a passmrk number of 906. I have a Asus 2-in-1 tablet (w/ 4GB) that has a passmark of 1763 that can handle FPGA builds for Quartus in a reasonable time so this should be able to do something productive. (Hey, it's only $78!!)
  • Upgrades running. $63.00 out the door. How can they do that!?

Nice unit, I like the connections and keyboard is good. Should provide good onsite development.
  • Dang! $63??? Not fair!! (did you buy a spare??)

You can tell us, we won't judge.....unless you didn't get a spare! :)
  • I think I will buy another for our Sports Car Club registration. We currently use Toughbooks, but the XP's are getting slow.
  • mindrobotsmindrobots Posts: 6,506
    edited 2016-04-21 15:22
    YIKES!!

I plugged in my FPGA-123 board, it assigned a COM port to the FTDI chip and the little mouse arrow takes off like the computer is possessed! It's scooting all over the screen, clicking in random places and windows are opening up...it looks like someone took over my desktop. Unplug the USB cable and all is well (except for all the garbage left from the random clicks).

Plug in a Quickstart and it it assigns a com port and sit there peacefully like a good little computer.

Maybe I'm missing some updates for newer FTDI chips (Windows and FTDI updates....no concerns there!! :) )

EDIT UPDATE:

If I remove the keyboard that came with the tablet and plug in a USB hub with a real keyboard and mouse *AND* the FPGA-123 board, it works just fine and the little tablet can download the P2 FPGA image to the board through PX and also can download programs through PNUT and run those. If I go back to the provided keyboard, remove the real keyboard and mouse and plug the FPGA in through the hub, it goes crazy again. I'l guessing the little keyboard that comes with the tablet is connected via USB. It shows up in Device Manager as HID compliant Keyboard and HID compliant mouse. I could try a Bluetooth mouse and keyboard but that is starting to make this tablet less and less portable.

I'll have to test with some other USB devices to see if it is just the FTDI chip on the FPGA-123 board or a general issue.

Anybody else try any USB devices yet??
  • mindrobots wrote: »

Anybody else try any USB devices yet??

As soon as Windows Defender is finished, I am going to install some programs via USB thumbdrive.
    Rick, you're just hosed. I'll take that piece of junk off your hands for $10 plus shipping cost. Kinda standup guy I am.
  • erco wrote: »
    Rick, you're just hosed. I'll take that piece of junk off your hands for $10 plus shipping cost. Kinda standup guy I am.

Thanks man! I knew I could count on you to help a brother out!!

I haven't given up yet....where there's a will, there's a relative!

• Just did install of my Autocross software from a Sandisk 32Gb Thumb Drive. No hiccups or strange mouse movements.
  • Can't believe the HP Stream 7 is going for $165 on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/HP-Stream-Windows-Includes-Personal/dp/B00NSHLVD2

I paid $79 each for my three.
  • localrogerlocalroger Posts: 3,451
    edited 2016-04-22 00:28
    Usually if a "serial" device is causing the mouse cursor to go crazy, it's because the "serial" device is transmitting continuously and the computer has installed the Ballpoint serial mouse driver for that port. This can be seen in Device Manager and disabled.

Sorry Erco, I'm going to have to skip this one since I still have a couple of Stream 7's and both iCraig tablets and even at $60 I can't really justify getting another one with similar specs. I had occasion to use one of the iCraigs at work today; I am debugging an application that uses an ESP8266 to remote control VLC media player to play safety videos on certain sensor cues. The $2,000 industrial computer I was supposed to use as the video player suffered a total network stack meltdown -- after working, when I rebooted it it wouldn't accept TCP connections from the outside world even though it could be pinged, you couldn't open network connections, then it stopped accepting connections from Telnet running onboard, then you couldn't open the wifi manager and finally it just all locked up if you tried to do anything network related. And Windows Restore refuses to run. So I unpacked the iCraig, installed all the application software on it, and had it working in half an hour. The demo will proceed...

(It is of course a Propeller telling the ESP8266 when to play the videos LOL)
    edited 2016-04-25 00:56
    localroger wrote: »
    Sorry Erco, I'm going to have to skip this one since I still have a couple of Stream 7's and both iCraig tablets and even at $60 I can't really justify getting another one with similar specs.

That's gotta be killin' ya, local...

I should post a pic of my pile of tablets & combos I've recently purchased, it's ridiculous. But it's all for a project. So it's justified, right?

• Yeah Erco, justified. Right. Maybe you can get your SO to buy that...
    edited 2016-05-01 15:02
    Just found 5 more RCA Cambio's at a local Walmart store for $50.

I'm running out of desk space to park these things, so I will have to pass. :)

It's amazing that the Win 8.1 are still going for $148.00:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/RCA-10.1-2in1-Tablet-32GB-Quad-Core-Windows-8.1/44656210

And the Android version is going for $80 with less Ram.

(These are all Walmart prices. YMMV)
    Shoot, buy 'em all and Ebay 'em. You can't lose.
    One odd thing about my Cambio... in power options, I don't have any "Choose what happens when the lid is closed" options like I do on my Nextbook. Tony & Jim, do you? I like to auto-shutdown when I close my lid, but I can't. Not yet anyway.

I see a few other minor differences between my Win10 systems, but this is the annoying one, having to fumble for that little power button each time I close up shop.
    edited 2016-05-06 19:19
    Erco, being a tablet the Cambio does not have a "lid closed". There are two bumpers in the lower left and right on the keyboard, and what look a lot like switches below them, they do nothing. Not sure why they are there. The would never get actuated because the bumpers are taller.

EDIT: Also, nothing seems to be built into the hinge to activate "lid closed".