Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller ASC (Arduino Shield Compatible) - Page 4 — Parallax Forums

Propeller ASC (Arduino Shield Compatible)

Comments

• Martin HodgeMartin Hodge Posts: 1,246
    edited 2011-02-06 10:18
    Update:

The prototype of the Micro Terminal is coming along nicely. Only a couple of minor errors that have already been corrected.

Question: R9 was supposed to provide "card present" signal to P23. Would it be more or less useful to have a pad for P23 for GPIO instead of card detect?

Attachment not found.Attachment not found.
  • zappmanzappman Posts: 418
    edited 2011-02-06 11:29
    I vote for a pad for P23 for GPIO.
    edited 2011-02-17 10:48
    RGB adapter is now available. It uses pins 16 thru 23 in the standard setup. All Arduino pins brought through just like the KVM adapter.

DSCF0170s.JPG
    edited 2011-02-17 10:52
    Regarding the free P23, I'm leaning toward using that for a CS for an inexpensive SPI RAM chip. Would that be useful?
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2011-02-17 16:26
    Martin, You should submit a write up to Nuts n Volts since they just did a write up of a Microchip Pic "ASC" board called the Chipino. Might get you some press......
    edited 2011-02-28 16:42
    Update:

The prototype of the Micro Terminal is coming along nicely. Only a couple of minor errors that have already been corrected.

Question: R9 was supposed to provide "card present" signal to P23. Would it be more or less useful to have a pad for P23 for GPIO instead of card detect?

I know this is late, but, I have changed my mind on what I think would be the best use for P23.

The Micro Terminal has:
    Keyboard (or Mouse) Connector
    Video Connector
    SD Card Socket

What is the Micro Terminal missing?
    An Audio Connector

So, I think P23 should be used for audio.
    edited 2011-03-03 16:17
    I received my Propeller ASC+, KVM Shield and RGB Shield today :smile:.

They are really great boards, very well made.

I placed the KVM Shield on top of the Propeller ASC+, connected up the USB input to my PC USB hub and the Video output of the KVM shield to my 7" TV. I changed 1 line of code from "text.start(12)" to "text.start(16)" in the TV Text Demo v1.0, and I had the output showing on the TV :cool:.
    edited 2011-03-03 16:31
    And you got a REALLY good deal on it too! :surprise:
    edited 2011-03-03 16:44
    Oh, missed you comment re. Audio. I think that's a good idea.
    edited 2011-03-07 09:43
    This could be an interesting avenue of research. By simply using headers with long tails, It is possible to plug a Propeller ASC directly into an Arduino and power both boards from either USB port or DC jack. As a proof of concept, here are photos and the simplest code snippet that simply counts the blinks of the Arduino bootloader's "heartbeat" led on pin 13 and displays the running total on a TV. The possibilities for Arduino expansion would seem to be endless. Let's come up with some ideas!

DSCF0173s.JPG
    DSCF0174s.JPG
    DSCF0172s.JPG
    DSCF0175s.JPG

arduino13.spin
    ''Demo: Counts the heartbeat pulses on pin13 of an Arduino

CON

_clkmode = xtal1 + pll16x
      _xinfreq = 5_000_000

OBJ

text : "tv_text"

PUB start | i

text.start(16)
      repeat
        waitpeq(|< 13, |< 13, 0)
        text.str(string($A,18,$B,6))
        text.dec(i++)
        waitpeq(0, |< 13, 0)

800 x 600 - 131K
    800 x 600 - 143K
    800 x 600 - 226K
    600 x 450 - 79K
  • RavenkallenRavenkallen Posts: 1,057
    edited 2011-05-08 11:14
    Hey... I have been watching your development of the ASC for a while and i think i am almost convinced to buy one. I have a couple of questions though. Because of the 5 volt nature of Arduinos and the 3.3 volt nature of Propellers, is there any major conflicts between these two? I know for the most part 3.3 volt logic is still acceptable in a 5 volt system... But wouldn't any shields made for a 3.3 volt system and run on a real Arduino(5 volt) cause problems? You would need some form of voltage limiting device(Level shifter, dropping resistor)? Or would most designs just use 5 volt components to accommodate all types of power supply requirements? I have a real Arduino, and i have been hankering to get a Prop powered one for ever:)
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-05-08 11:43
    Martin's ASC includes 1K series resistors between the "shield" digital I/O connections and the Prop I/O pins. These should protect the Prop's I/O pins from applied 5V. Strictly speaking they're not high enough for the current rating of the I/O pin's protective diodes. 2K or 2.2K would be better.
    edited 2011-05-08 12:30
    @Mike... Ahhh, thanks for the explanation. Even though the resistor is half of the needed value, i can't imagine it causing to much stress to the Propeller I/O pin?
    edited 2011-05-08 12:51
    5V - 3.3V = 1.7V. A silicon diode has a forward voltage of 0.7V, so 1.7V - 0.7V = 1.0V. Ohm's Law gives 1.0V / 1K = 1mA which is the current through the protective diode. This diode though is rated for a maximum current of 500uA. Hmmm, 500uA vs. 1mA?
    edited 2011-05-08 15:35
    Yeah, that is about double the max rating... I didn't even know that the Propeller had such a diode. I assume the purpose of having it there is to stop the over voltage from destroying other parts of the chip?
    edited 2011-05-08 16:11
    All new ASC's will have 2.2K resistors. Any units failing because of the 1K resistors will be repaired or replaced free.

Ravenkallen, what shields do you have or are planning to have?
    edited 2011-05-08 17:33
    @Martin... Actually, that is kind of why i wanted to buy a ASC... I never really had a reason to buy shields until now. I assume you buy them on the website? Wouldn't happen to have any more cheap ones would you?:)
    edited 2011-05-08 17:51
    The whole point of having a Propeller board that is physically (and mostly electrically) compatible with Arduino shields is that all kinds of companies have shields for sale that should be able to be plugged into the ASC to add some kind or another of peripheral electrons to what is otherwise a Propeller board. Martin does have a list of shields that he's tested with his ASC and he has a couple of Propeller specific add-on boards that don't use the Arduino pins, but use his expansion connector to provide video and a keyboard.
    edited 2011-05-08 19:30
    Actually, I don't have any production units left. All sold out. But I will send you a fully functional test unit of the next rev for FREE on one condition. If you like it, you must make something with it and post about it somewhere other than here to help spread the word. It doesn't have to be extravagant. I'll even throw in your choice of a KVM or VGA expansion.

It's a 64K, 10-bit ADC with 2.2k CL resistors and the new bypass pads on the back. I don't sell any shields, but SparkFun has the largest selection. Also see shieldlist.org and 1mgh.com/forum
    edited 2011-05-08 20:06
    @Martin.... Wow, sounds like a plan:) By post about it, do you mean on another forum? The Arduino forum might be a good place to do it?
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2011-05-08 22:00
    Martin, when do you expect the next rev. to start shipping?
    edited 2011-05-09 07:09
    Rav, yes on another forum. Or if you have a blog or Twitter or Facebook or show your lab-mates at school/college.

Kevin, the hurdle to overcome with a next batch is financing. In order to make these at all profitable I need to produce at least 100 units, and that's a big chunk of bread. Also, I'm feverishly working on the ASC2... (teasy teasy)
  • prof_brainoprof_braino Posts: 4,313
    edited 2011-05-09 11:05
    Did you realize that on your site, all occurrences of the name are Propeller ASC, none are Arduino Shield Compatible, except within the description itself. I don't believe you should be hiding this fact.
    I don't mean to be picky (who? ME?) but I used to work for a monolithic, faceless corporation in the cellular phone industry (whose name rhymes with Motorola), and they overused TLA's (three letter acronyms) to maddening affect. Please, avoid SFA's unless the intent is to HIDE information, as in CIA, FBI, and KGB. Seriously, though, you really should say "Arduino Shield Compatible", this is too good to miss.

Back to the topic at hand, how far along are you to the goal of 100 units? Do we have to pre-order?
    I was going to check out the Arduino discussions to regarding Holly's Request http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?131548-Holly-s-Request&daysprune=60 to ask what services Arduino user would want from a prop add-on, if any. Have any Arduino user expressed an interest in a prop-arduino shield?
  • Kevin WoodKevin Wood Posts: 1,266
    edited 2011-05-09 12:15
    @Martin - What is the ASC2? How will it be different thant the 64K/10-bit/2.2K next rev. of ASC.
    I was going to check out the Arduino discussions to regarding Holly's Request http://forums.parallax.com/showthrea...t&daysprune=60 to ask what services Arduino user would want from a prop add-on, if any. Have any Arduino user expressed an interest in a prop-arduino shield?

IMO, This is where & why there is so much confusion and miscommunication wrt the Arduino. Arduino users don't care about the Propeller in the same way that they don't care about the Atmega328. They don't want to know all of the specs & open the hood and tear apart the engine... they just want to get in the car and drive. It's the same exact thing with the BS2. Some BS2 users switched to the SX chip, but most didn't. Many of the Propeller users here are fixated on the Propeller technology itself, not on what can be done with it.
    edited 2011-05-10 05:17
    @Prof_braino.... Funny you should mention that. I was thinking about a Propeller powered video shield for the Arduino. They already have a black and white TV shield http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9313

But a Propeller powered one could have color, better graphics, adjustable fonts AND the ability to be reprogrammed if needed. It would need a SMT Propeller and i think a socketed DIP EEPROM. I think it would do pretty well...

@Martin... Challenge accepted:) I will be working on an idea for a project and post it to the Arduino forum... Wow, 100 units? Just to turn a small profit? Assuming you earn only 10% profit(100 units X $40 = $4000 - %10 = $3600)...Sheesh, that is a little chuck of change!! Maybe you could ask some of the forum for advance funding?
  • David BetzDavid Betz Posts: 14,511
    edited 2011-05-10 05:32
    @Prof_braino.... Funny you should mention that. I was thinking about a Propeller powered video shield for the Arduino. They already have a black and white TV shield http://www.sparkfun.com/products/9313

Andre' LaMothe is working on a video shield using a Propeller chip.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?130093-Propeller-Ardunio-Shilelds&highlight=scorpion
    edited 2011-05-10 06:51
    Rav, PM me your address.

I'm getting together the funding, but it's taking a bit longer than expected to get my solid-gold bidet removed and sent to the cash4gold guys.

Prof, yes, I can't go the ASC2 route (read ASCII). I am taking suggestions for a new kitschy name that does NOT end in "no" (or "na" if you're P.J. Allen)

All I can say about the ASC2 (working name) is you won't need add-on boards to do vid/VGA/uSD/keyboard. The idea is to be able to command Arduino shields without a PC (or one of those weird Mac doohickeys)
    edited 2011-05-10 06:58
    @David.... Oh, i didn't even notice that... I guess it was a good idea, haha

@Martin... I will send you a PM shortly:)
  • schillschill Posts: 741
    edited 2011-05-10 07:08
    David Betz wrote: »
    Andre' LaMothe is working on a video shield using a Propeller chip.

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?130093-Propeller-Ardunio-Shilelds&highlight=scorpion

There is also a color video shield based on an FPGA so there is competition: http://excamera.com/sphinx/gameduino/ . This was launched very successfully on kickstarter.
    edited 2011-05-10 07:24
    @Schill.. I knew about the Gameduino. I don't really think the Propeller is really in the same category as a FPGA. I'll bet you that the Gameduino will be pricey to.