Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Mac/Linux/Windows IDE - Ver 0.19.3 "Now with new improved PropBasic" release - Page 50 — Parallax Forums

Mac/Linux/Windows IDE - Ver 0.19.3 "Now with new improved PropBasic" release

Comments

• Andrey DemenevAndrey Demenev Posts: 377
    edited 2011-01-30 09:32
    Me again :) With another report (I hope a valid one this time). When using bstc with XINPUT _clkmode, it writes wrong values to address 4, which corresponds to initial value of CLK register:

XINPUT :          0_1_1_00_010
    XINPUT + PLL1X :  0_0_1_00_010
    XINPUT + PLL2X :  0_0_1_00_010
    XINPUT + PLL4X :  0_0_1_00_010
    XINPUT + PLL8X :  0_0_1_00_010
    XINPUT + PLL16X : 0_0_1_00_010

And this is what the datasheet says:

modes.png
    642 x 477 - 77K
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2011-01-30 13:46
    Ray0665 wrote: »
    Is anyone else having a problem with bst producing empty archives or have I stumbled onto a new bug?
    I am running bst 0.19.3 on an 86_64 Intel Core 2 Duo CPU with Mandriva 2009 Linux kernal 2.6.27-desktop-0.rc8.2mnb installed.
    I first load and compile the spin files and then click file:create archive. The zip then appears in the directory with the spins. Upon opening I find all the files but they are all empty.
    '
    Ray0665:
    '
    I have seen WinXP64 make two file folders. One of the folders will have all the files and the other will be empty.I usually save my files on the desk top since I have 4 monitors. If I open the folder and its empty I have to start digging to find the other folder,as it will have the files in it.This only happens once in while.
    '
    I'm running an Intel Core Duo CPU as well with an Asus P5N motherboard.
    '
    I've seen other programs do the same thing.Might be an Intel bug since your using Linux.
  • BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2011-01-30 13:52
    Me again :) With another report (I hope a valid one this time). When using bstc with XINPUT _clkmode, it writes wrong values to address 4, which corresponds to initial value of CLK register:

Cool. Thanks for that. I'll get it sorted some time today.

Bean, just send the files on through and I'll get them compiled and posted.

Guys, I'm not checking the forums frequently at the moment and when I do I rarely browse past the first page. If you bump into an issue, drop me an e-mail as a headsup? I used to have e-mail subscription to this thread for that reason, but I just never figured out how to do this with the new forum software.
  • SSteveSSteve Posts: 808
    edited 2011-02-18 11:37
    BradC wrote: »
    I used to have e-mail subscription to this thread for that reason, but I just never figured out how to do this with the new forum software.
    At the top of the page click Thread Tools -> Subscribe to this thread
  • $WMc%$WMc% Posts: 1,884
    edited 2011-02-18 17:45
    Febuary issue of Nut&Volts,2011 Full back page
    '
    Parallax list PropBasic as third party compiler for the new S2 robot
  • DavidMDavidM Posts: 626
    edited 2011-02-19 17:00
    Hi Brad,

Do you have any plans for including the INDENT LINES in the BSt app for the MAC?

I can't use your app without this feature ( The Indents are to hard to work with without this)

Thanks
    edited 2011-02-19 23:55
    Hi, David:

Do you mean Command+square bracket? If so, that's in the latest development builds: http://www.fnarfbargle.com/bst/snapshots/

I ran into an issue with 0.19.4-pre14 where it would hang on a compiler error so I've been using 0.19.4-pre13 or 0.19.4-pre12. There's also a weird bug in one or both of those (I don't remember right this second) where on key down the command key indents a line so I got into the habit of using Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V for copy and paste.
  • DavidMDavidM Posts: 626
    edited 2011-02-20 17:55
    Hi Steve,

No, I mean the thick grey lines that SPIN has so I can see the INDENTS?

Dave M
  • potatoheadpotatohead Posts: 10,254
    edited 2011-02-20 18:26
    That's not currently in the program as far as I know.

Had a thought on it though. On some editors there is a "show spaces" option, where the space character is shown in a slightly contrasting color. This would work pretty well to see indents. Kedit has it, last time I used it, if anybody wants to go look for what I'm talking about.
  • jazzedjazzed Posts: 11,803
    edited 2011-02-25 17:22
    How long has the web site been down at http://www.fnarfbargle.com/bst.html ???
    edited 2011-02-25 19:10
    It was up a couple days ago. I guess there's a chance the New Zealand earthquake is a factor.
  • AleAle Posts: 2,363
    edited 2011-02-26 07:52
    It is up and running now...
  • psyko_chewbaccapsyko_chewbacca Posts: 4
    edited 2011-03-02 17:42
    Hi, I am fairly new to the Propeller scene but I really like to potential of this chip! Now I would like to use BST on a Mac. The problem is that I only have a FTDI cable to program it. That FTDI cable does not have the DTR signal as an output, only RST.

With the official Propeller Spin Tools on Windows I could set the programmer to reset the chip using the RST signal of the virtual COM port. BST seems to lack that particuliar feature.

I would like to know if the possibility to switch the reset signal from DTR to RST is a planned feature? Nowadays, I practicaly boot windows only to program my Propeller.

Thank you!
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-03-02 18:18
    There is no RS232 signal called RST. It's probably DTR re-labelled as RST for this use. Specifically what FTDI cable is this? Can you post a link to its datasheet?
  • psyko_chewbaccapsyko_chewbacca Posts: 4
    edited 2011-03-03 06:16
    Sorry I mispelled the signal. It's the Request to Send signal (RTS) and not RST. I am really sorry.

To use my FTDI cable I used the tutorial at this link: http://www.ladyada.net/make/ybox2/progcable.html. The only thing I did differently is that I soldered a header on my Propeller Proto Board to match the stock pin placement of the cable.

The model of the cable is TTL-232R3V3 and the datasheet is located here : http://www.ftdichip.com/Support/Documents/DataSheets/Cables/DS_TTL-232R_CABLES.pdf.

On windows using the official Propeller Spin Tool everything works perfectly. On Brad's Spin Tool the propeller chip is not found for obvious reasons.

Thanks for the support!
  • cdecde Posts: 37
    edited 2011-03-03 13:47
    Hi, I am fairly new to the Propeller scene but I really like to potential of this chip! Now I would like to use BST on a Mac. The problem is that I only have a FTDI cable to program it. That FTDI cable does not have the DTR signal as an output, only RST.

Hi,

I'm not entirely sure, but the RST is required to reset the chip so that the boot rom code listens to commands on the serial input. I'm actually doing some tests with a MAX3232, and hope to get RAM code upload working. I think you'll need to disconnect the eeprom, reset the chip (RSTn should be already pulled up in your design) and then it'll be waiting for code to be uploaded. Mike, please correct me if I'm wrong :)
  • Heater.Heater. Posts: 21,230
    edited 2011-03-04 06:23
    BradC,

The time has come.

I have on my desk now an ARM powered IGEP board running Ubuntu. The thing is the size of a cigarette box.

So, what about that ARM Linux build of BST?

With that in place I could drop mt gigantic PC into the swamp of history and have a nice small, quite and low power development environment.

http://www.igep-platform.com/
    edited 2011-03-04 06:49
    Heater:

While I do not want to do advertising...but I got a Mac mini. I know it is not that cheap anymore but it is really small compared to all the PCs I had (and the PC sitting just below it!)... maybe not the size and low power of your ARM-box but small none the less :), and low power :) and silent... BST already runs on it... that's the advantage :)
    edited 2011-03-04 07:09
    I have often thought a Mac mini would be a good idea. I've just always found other things to blow my pocket money on that take priority. PC's have always come free from whomever I am working for. The IGEP is also here because of work:)
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-03-04 07:31
    cde and psyko_chewbacca,
    I'm not aware of any way that BST can be made to use RTS instead of DTR, sorry.
  • Cluso99Cluso99 Posts: 18,069
    edited 2011-03-04 12:32
    Wow heater. That is a tiny board. Shame the expansion pcb overshadows the processor board!!!
    edited 2011-03-04 13:26
    Cluso,
    Yes it's tiny. I do not have the expantion board, not sure why I might need it. Next step is to get it connected to a Propeller board. Hence the need for an ARM build of BST.
    That litle thing is quite capable of running all the dev tools I have needed for work for the past 10 years!
    edited 2011-03-18 16:09
    Brad, sorry to bug you but is a new snapshot on the horizon? I can't use pre13 or pre14 under OS X because it locks up when there's a compiler error. I've been using pre12 but the "unknown user keypress 610" error makes it difficult.
  • SarielSariel Posts: 182
    edited 2011-03-23 05:02
    I just started using this, and it is a great tool, with a lot of promise. One thing I have noticed is that I cannot get bst to go over to my secondary monitor. I am using Win version 0.19.3
    Keep up the good work!
    edited 2011-03-27 05:52
    To support SStive: (I haven't got any lockups with pre13 but the odd terminal bug.. bugs me ! and the lack of tab selector ways more) :

I was using 0.19.4pre12 on Mac OSX (10.6.6) and there is a bug when you select some text and then press the cmd key the text line jumps 2 spaces to the right. Then I decided to try pre13 and that one has some issues with the serial terminal (that pre12 does not have) after downloading a program to the prop the serial terminal would not be switched immediately and the output of the prop is lost.
    Going forward to pre14 makes the whole not better because it crashes after compiles (or just takes ages to respond).
    Another issue is that if the preferences file (bst.ini) is erased and bst is launched it will not be displayed because the coordinates are off screen (like 2200 pixels off).
    Keep the gut work Brad ! :)
    edited 2011-03-27 09:03
    Hi, Ale:

In a separate thread, Brad said that his Linux machine had file system corruption that had propagated through all his backups before he discovered it. So he has spent the last few months piecing back together all his source code. Hopefully he'll soon be in a mood to do some bst coding again.
  • davidsaundersdavidsaunders Posts: 1,559
    edited 2011-04-04 20:55
    I would like to note that the FTDI drivers built into Puppy Linux only work intermittently. I have taken the time to verify that this is a common problem in Puppy Linux.
    edited 2011-04-16 00:56
    I'm sorry to read that SSteve :(.
    I just discovered that the keyword "NOT" is not highlighted... at least in pre13.

davidsaunders: There were problem with the FTDI drivers in Ubuntu 9.04 I think it was that version... you could check if they use the same kernel... :)
  • davidsaundersdavidsaunders Posts: 1,559
    edited 2011-04-20 07:13
    I feel that it would be helpfull to create an entire IDE with compiler, assembler, and linker to run native on the verious common Propeller based systems. It should have some sort of terminal emulator with ZModem file transfer so that files from the internet could be transfered regardless of the host OS on a users desktop, or laptop.

Is any one aware of an existing SPIN compiler running native on Propeller boards, that does not hog HUB mem? Assemblers are easy (especially as simple as the Prop Opcode format is).

I should probably add; After being sick of the crashes of Windoze, and the modern Linux distros I have decided to stick with Haiku OS and AROS, both of which are more stable despite still being labeled Alpha quallity.
    edited 2011-04-20 08:51
    I think discussion of that would be best on another thread. This one is specifically about bst.