Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
TB6612FNG's running parallel? — Parallax Forums

TB6612FNG's running parallel?

mhamen3mhamen3 Posts: 69
edited 2011-05-07 14:55 in General Discussion
Has anyone used these? http://www.pololu.com/catalog/product/713
I was wondering if anyone sees a problem with running them in parallel for load sharing.

Thanks,
Marc

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2011-05-07 14:21
    The controller is designed for the two channels to be paralleled. The peak current (3A) may or may not apply to the whole chip. It's hard to tell without going over the datasheet in detail, but the continuous current (1A) can be doubled to 2A by paralleling the two channels.
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2011-05-07 14:55
    If you do parallel the outputs, one thing I would caution against is changing modes without going through a short '"stop" or "standby" (not braking) state between them. The reason is that, if there is a slight mismatch in timing between the two drivers, you could get a large (and possibly destructive) current spike as two bridge outputs briefly assume opposite states.

The datasheet cites a "penetration protect time", but that's designed to prevent shoot-through on one side of the H-bridge. I'm not sure that it would be adequate to protect paralleled outputs switching from one driven state to another, though. Hence my caveat.

-Phil