Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
2.5" Color LCD Composite Video Monitors FOR SALE! only $10 plus Postage — Parallax Forums

2.5" Color LCD Composite Video Monitors FOR SALE! only $10 plus Postage

NiteMax MarkNiteMax Mark Posts: 20
edited 2010-07-22 18:25 in Propeller 1
This was posted·in the Sand Box but it occurs to me that there may be Propeller Chip users that might not see it there. I wish there was a way to move it over here instead!

FOR SALE:· 2.5" Color LCD Video Display System·$10 Each (plus shipping)

Since the Propeller can easily output Composite Video, these might be especially handy. The LCD comes complete with a Controller and needs just 12V DC and a Composite Video singal to work! I'll bet I've·got at least 100·of these·and I can sell them for $10 each plus the cost of shipping.

There's a good amount of photos and details on ther other thread linked below...

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=882310

Please check out the information at the other thread first and post any questions or comments here.

Post Edited (NiteMax Mark) : 3/12/2010 1:04:31 AM GMT

Comments

• RaymanRayman Posts: 13,803
    edited 2010-03-12 00:44
    That sounds like a great deal! Are you calling these new or used?

I wonder if it really needs 12V, or if that gets dropped down to 5...

I'd put "$10" in your topic title, probably get more attention that way...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    My Prop Info&Apps: ·http://www.rayslogic.com/propeller/propeller.htm

My Prop Products:· http://www.rayslogic.com/Propeller/Products/Products.htm
  • NiteMax MarkNiteMax Mark Posts: 20
    edited 2010-03-12 01:17
    It really does need 12V DC at about 200mA. I've seen it work on 9V but that's not to say it isn't hurting it somehow. I'm certain it won't work well on 5V DC or even work at all. The LCD Controller happens to have a 5V DC OUTPUT available but I'm not sure exactly how much current it can provide.

There's also an inverter circuit that generates some high voltage to power the CCFL backlight on the LCD so you can see there's plenty of stuff happening on the LCD Controller PCB.

This stuff is considered "New Old Stock" which means they're brand new but they've been around a while.

I've had them for a few years and I'm sure they sat in a warehouse for a good long·time before I bought them.

These are incomplete assemblies for night vision viewers that were in the process of being built when the factory was abruptly closed.

They're not broken, rejects or returns, but they might have some light dust or maybe a finger print or two. The LCD itself still has a protective cover on it that you peel off.

My first priority is your satisfaction so you can be sure I'll set things straight if they're not what you expected.

I'm a hobbyist like·many of the people here and selling these is just part of cleaning house.

It's not worth any amount of Dollars to make people unhappy so please let me know if there's anything I can do to make sure you are completely satisfied with your purchase!

Post Edited (NiteMax Mark) : 3/12/2010 2:20:07 AM GMT
  • JRetSapDoogJRetSapDoog Posts: 954
    edited 2010-03-12 15:11
    A hobbyist? But you have a delivery truck as an avatar! I'll bet you've got that step van stocked with displays from floor-to-ceiling, bulkhead-to-rear door. I heard that you are a wholly-owned subsidiary of UPS, only different color scheme. Okay, you're a hobbyist, but I couldn't resist. It's great that you can both "clean house" and make these available to the Parallax community for such a decent price at the same time. A win-win situation. They had probably "aged" enough in storage and likely weren't going to increase in value. NiteMax Mark's motto: "We sell no mini composite monitor before its time!"
  • Oldbitcollector (Jeff)Oldbitcollector (Jeff) Posts: 8,091
    edited 2010-03-12 15:17
    Agree'd! The only thing I wish is that those were 5.0" screens. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Thanks for making such an awesome offer available to the community. It's appreciated!

OBC

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Coming soon to a browser near you! PropellerPowered.com
    Visit the: PROPELLERPOWERED SIG forum kindly hosted by Savage Circuits.
    edited 2010-03-12 16:37
    The history of the stepvan... (It was actually a retired United States Postal Service Parcel Delivery Van with the same 6.2L diesel engine and transmission as the first military HMVEE's.)

Actually, I bought the stepvan on eBay and my Wife almost killed me! I justified the expense because it was about the same price as a back-yard metal storage shed·but it was LOTS more·interesting to have. (And it probably wouldn't blow away in the first good wind storm.)·Plus it was less expensive than renting storage and the kids thought it was cool to be the only ones in school who's Dad had an "ice cream truck." At the time I bought it, I couldn't have imagined the things that would eventually follow.

When I·got the opportunity to buy the remaining "junk" from the NiteMax people it was completely unexpected and it litterally filled the whole truck. Boy was I glad I even HAD the truck in the first place because, without it, I couldn't have done anything with this crazy NiteMAX opportunity. (And yes, my Wife almost killed me AGAIN!) It took a few months, but I threw away plenty of useless stuff and sold a bunch of NiteMAX cameras on eBay too so it worked out beautifully.

Everything came to a halt when we had a new baby and my Wife ended up back·in the hospital again·only a·week after the baby was born. She was pretty sick and things were kind of rough for a while and it took almost six months to solve the medical mystery.·She ended up·being diagnosed with a somewhat rare disease and we've gone through some rought times financially due to lots of medical expenses.

At one point during the financial crisis we were traveling back from the Mayo Clinic a couple of states away and a had a connecting rod bearing fail in our well-used Suburban. I couldn't afford to fix it because, at that point, I was behind on almost everry bill we had so I ended up driving the "ice cream truck" back and forth to work for several months.

Ultimately the stepvan got sold and the money got tossed in to the bottomless pit of medical expenses and now we've got a bedroom with boxes stacked in the corner where the newest·child (who's now four) belongs instead of being with Mom and Dad.

So yes, that stupid stepvan avatar has a lot of history behind it and it has lots of memories of good and bad times associated with it.·I sure am grateful for each and every one of you that chooses to buy some of this stuff because it's helping me out more than you probably imagine. Obviously·the extra money I'm earning is appreciated, but it actually feels·best to be cleaning up some of the last remaining fallout from the crisis we've been through.

THANK YOU!

Post Edited (NiteMax Mark) : 3/12/2010 8:08:05 PM GMT
    edited 2010-03-12 16:56
    Oldbitcollector said...
    Agree'd! The only thing I wish is that those were 5.0" screens. [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Thanks for making such an awesome offer available to the community. It's appreciated!

OBC

Actually, that's an interesting comment!

On the other Sand Box thread I've uploaded a datasheet for the LCD Controller that happens to include a 5.6" LCD. The important points in the data sheet are the LCD Controller details but it does give everyone a clue...

Somewhere in the world is a 5.6" LCD module that plugs right in to this LCD Controller!

I've always hoped I would find some surplus 5.6" LCD modules somewhere but I never have. The first person to find an inexpensive source of compatible LCD modules to match this controller deserves a prize!

·
  • RaymanRayman Posts: 13,803
    edited 2010-03-13 02:47
    I was just thinking that Bean has a ton of little displays·that looked to·have the same connector...· I think they were 1.5" or so...

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    My Prop Info&Apps: ·http://www.rayslogic.com/propeller/propeller.htm

My Prop Products:· http://www.rayslogic.com/Propeller/Products/Products.htm
    edited 2010-03-16 16:54
    The bad news is that Friday's orders didn't get packed in time to make the last pickup at the Post Office on Friday.

The good news is that they got dropped of at the Post Office on Saturday and a couple of them actually got delivered on MONDAY! Wow... Priority Mail isn't the least expensive method but it can be fast at times and they provide the boxes which helps me out a lot.

I expect all the shipments from last week to reach everyone by Wednesday.

If anyone needs support,·consider posting it·here so that everyone else will benefit. If there's anything I need to do to make sure you're completely happy with your purchase, please let me know.

Thank you to everyone!

- Mark
  • JRetSapDoogJRetSapDoog Posts: 954
    edited 2010-04-01 01:58
    Mark, thanks for sharing the history of your Avatar, the re-purposed USPS ice cream truck. It's a touching read and helps us put our own struggles into perspective. Best of luck to you and your family, and may your wife continue to receive the treatment she needs for her condition. --Jim
    edited 2010-04-22 22:23
    I've sent out a bunch of the LCDs·already and there's still plenty left. Thank you again to everyone!

I guess everyone's busy and I'm not so different myself. It sure has been quiet!

I'd love to see some of the ways these have been used and if you'd care to post a photo or two here I'd appreciate it.

If anyone is interested in some of the optional features, I'd be happy to help. It's easy enough to flip the image left, right or up and down for example.

There's also a clever way to make the display appear monochrome in any one of seven colors. For example, it's not so hard to make it green monochrome like an old fashioned CRT. (I attached an image to show the results.)

There's still the potential of finding a larger LCD that's compatable with the controller on these. One clue is how one of the datasheets actually describes a 5.6" LCD.

If anyone finds an inexpensive LCD that's missing a controller and you THINK it might be compatable, set me up with a datasheet and I'll see if it might work. If there's a public source for larger LCDs that's fairly inexpensive I'd consider buying one myself and testing it out with the controller so I can share the results with everyone here.

Post Edited (NiteMax Mark) : 4/23/2010 1:34:28 AM GMT
    800 x 600 - 167K
  • CassLanCassLan Posts: 586
    edited 2010-04-22 22:45
    Mark,

Never got a chance to say thanks for the monitors, they came all neatly packed up!

I went ahead and re-wired them so the power jacks work, and so that the switch turns them on.

This is one mounted inside of an empty external sound blaster housing, I've placed a Cat5e jack in it as well, I'm planning this to be a Tone Generator, Video Generator, Continuity Tester, and obviously a video test screen [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Next is to make use of the existing buttons, question- why does the picture get brighter when I press either button labeled "gain"?

Then I'd like to find a re-chargable battery solution.

Rick

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    PrEditor·- Text Editor

NYC Area Prop Club
    1600 x 1200 - 513K
  • hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2010-04-22 23:04
    PM Sent.

Jim
    NiteMax Mark said...
    I've sent out a bunch of the LCDs·already and there's still plenty left. Thank you again to everyone!

I guess everyone's busy and I'm not so different myself. It sure has been quiet!

I'd love to see some of the ways these have been used and if you'd care to post a photo or two here I'd appreciate it.

If anyone is interested in some of the optional features, I'd be happy to help. It's easy enough to flip the image left, right or up and down for example.

There's also a clever way to make the display appear monochrome in any one of seven colors. For example, it's not so hard to make it green monochrome like an old fashioned CRT.

There's still the potential of finding a larger LCD that's compatable with the controller on these. One clue is how one of the datasheets actually describes a 5.6" LCD.

If anyone finds an inexpensive LCD that's missing a controller and you THINK it might be compatable, set me up with a datasheet and I'll see if it might work. If there's a public source for larger LCDs that's fairly inexpensive I'd consider buying one myself and testing it out with the controller so I can share the results with everyone here.
    edited 2010-04-23 01:23
    CassLan said...

...question- why does the picture get brighter when I press either button labeled "gain"?

Thanks for showing off your LCD!

The LCD Controller has Brightness and Contrast inputs where a variable voltage controls the function. The default values are okay but you can tie a 5k Ohm potentiometer between the Controller's 5v Supply and Ground as an·effective way to·provide variable adjustments.

The "Gain" buttons·are wired to the Controller's Brightness Input and they basically max-out the brightness adjustment on the LCD Controller when you push the button.
  • WynandWynand Posts: 39
    edited 2010-06-02 19:27
    Mark,

Just got my screens yesterday (finally after 2 months)! Thank you very much for your attention and care to detail ensuring the parcel was
    safely packed and your speedy shipment, much appreciated (not your fault Africa runs on continental time [noparse]:)[/noparse] ).

Thank you,

Wynand.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Why didn't I think of THAT!!!!

Post Edited (Wynand) : 6/2/2010 7:32:25 PM GMT
  • PJAllenPJAllen Banned Posts: 5,065
    edited 2010-06-02 22:47
    Cross-posting.·

What a great idea.·

I'm·SO glad that this is now permitted.

Post Edit -- Ain't capriciousness and hypocrisy grand?

Post Edited (PJ Allen) : 6/2/2010 10:52:04 PM GMT
    edited 2010-06-15 22:21
    I apologize for the delay responding to all the Private Messages. I am back in town and getting un-busy enough that I've responded to everybody.

If I've missed anyone and you haven't heard from me in a while, please contact me again. There's still plenty of LCDs here.

Thank you!
    ·
  • blittledblittled Posts: 681
    edited 2010-07-22 02:38
    I just tried rewiring the LCD so I could use the power jack and switch. I couldn't get any power through the jack so I used an inline jack instead. I also decided to cut off the unused connectors. In doing so I found that I did not have a signal to the LCD anymore. It came on but no picture. I realized I cut three white wires that connect up to the same connector as the power lines. I soldered the white wire from the connector to the loose white wire nearby and the signal came back! So be careful if you cut off the unused connectors keep the three white wires, that are soldered, connected.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Will work for Propeller parts!

Post Edited (blittled) : 7/22/2010 9:23:23 PM GMT
  • RizThomasRizThomas Posts: 24
    edited 2010-07-22 18:25
    Hi Mark,

If you see this, I have sent you a PM. These Display units a great indeed...

Thanks
    RizThomas