Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Basic Stamp 2 Projects — Parallax Forums

Basic Stamp 2 Projects

sahnianasahniana Posts: 12
edited 2010-01-20 12:41 in BASIC Stamp
Hi everyone.

I am currently studying in Mechatronic Engineering. And one of my favourite subject is microcontroller. Here, we learn Basic Stamp 2, not the PIC. At first, I dont know why they choose Basic Stamp 2 rather than popular microcontroller like PIC. But after so much fun learning with Basic Stamp 2, I realize that it is easier than I thought! At first,·I learn about High, Low and Pause to make something simple, like blinking LED. Then·I·step forward by learning the IF and IN to make something simple like, push a button then the LED will blink for 5 times. To make more complicated and structural event,·I learned CASE·structure along with SERIN and SEROUT.·Only·4 months learning Basic Stamp 2 and I can create many things!·And now,·for the end·of·semester,·my lecturer want·everyone to think·of project, 15 projects to create! Here's what we·have think about:-

1. Door Indicator -·an indicator to show whether the door is open or not.
2. Rhymatic Blinking LED - with music (mono of course).
3. Washing·Machine - automatic washing machine
4. Heater·Temperature Warning - for·automatic control of heating process with overheat protection.
5.·4 Direction Robot -·with simple simulator, auto code generator and more.
6. Lamp On/Off With Time Control -·control when to on and off the lamp.
7.·Your Shoe Size - put your feet on the hardware and it well tell you the ideal shoe size.
8. Automatic Door -·detect·human, open the door, then close the door.
9. Gripper·+ Sensor - grip·if sensor detect something.
10. Mailbox -·warned when mail arrive and record·the time and date.
11.·Door Security -·numeric keyboard, enter password to open the door.
12. Water Level Indicator -·give you status of the water level in a tank, with automatic pump control.
13. Wind Speed - record the wind speed for analysis.
14.·Humidity - record the humidity for analysis.
15. Automatic·Perfume Spray - for room.
16.·Temperature Controlled Fan -·fan speed depends on the temperature.
17. Blender - automatic blender.
18. Music Box -·recreate existing music box with additional feature, more fun.
19. Noise Level Indicator - record noise level·for analysis.
20. Parking -·automatic parking.
21. Box Status -·calculate the items put in the box and·warned·when full.
22. Vendor Machine - I dont know what to call this, it something like the commercial one.
23. Emergency·Light - on when·blackout.
24.·Fish Auto Feeding - automatic feeder.
25. Barcode Reader - make our·own barcode reader and·database.
26.·Hamster's Cage System - it something like,·Intelligent Home Controller.
27. Quiz - make our own quiz system, 3 players, score status.
28.·Bridge -·open or close the bridge.
29. X Y Positioning - it something like,·simple storage system.
30. Temperature·Indicator - get the room temperature, record it.

Hah, that's all·that we can think about.·We only need 15 projects, but we have think 30 projects already. The project is already started and we have 1 more weeks to finish the projects.·We need to finish the hardware, controller/indicator software, and the BS2 codes.

* Thanks to Parallax for making the·automation world easier than I can thought!·

Comments

• ctdrum1124ctdrum1124 Posts: 5
    edited 2009-11-28 07:47
    I just got done making a rythmatic LED blinking circuit. The LEDs react to the music of jingle bells which i programmed into the board which plays through a single piezo. I am working on something much more...complicated and more interesting now though...good luck!! sounds like an interesting course.
  • servelloservello Posts: 113
    edited 2009-11-28 19:50
    ctdrum1124 said...
    I just got done making a rythmatic LED blinking circuit. The LEDs react to the music of jingle bells which i programmed into the board which plays through a single piezo. I am working on something much more...complicated and more interesting now though...good luck!! sounds like an interesting course.

Hi,

That sounds like something I'd like to try.
    Any chance you could post some code, pics, video, schematic?

-Dominic

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Deus tantum me iudicabit
  • sahnianasahniana Posts: 12
    edited 2009-11-29 19:08
    ctdrum1124 said...
    LED react to music..looks like something interesting to make..can you post the schematic and code?

Post Edited (sahniana) : 11/29/2009 7:27:23 PM GMT
  • libra865libra865 Posts: 1
    edited 2009-12-15 07:16
    Hi sahniana,

I'm currently doing my final year project and it is quite similar to No.25 title of your 30 projects. May I know what is the schematic and code used for the Barcode reader? It is the code that I need to communicate the barcode reader to BS2.

Thanks.
  • ShinXIIIShinXIII Posts: 8
    edited 2009-12-23 07:49
    Hi sahniana,

Just like to ask did you guys came out something with project no 29. X Y Positioning - it something like, simple storage system?
    Since it's a bit related to my final year project and i am kind of clueless now. If you do have it, and dont mind to share. Please post out so i could have a bit clue on how to work on this project. thanks alot and wish you marry xmas in advance~
    edited 2010-01-20 12:35
    libra865 said...
    Hi sahniana,

I'm currently doing my final year project and it is quite similar to No.25 title of your 30 projects. May I know what is the schematic and code used for the Barcode reader? It is the code that I need to communicate the barcode reader to BS2.

Thanks.

hi libra865,

project 25 status: cancel
    but from what i know,barcode reader use direct serial communication. actually, the project description is something like this.
    - - - connect barcode reader to pc serial. receive barcode from scanner and processed by vb6. then, information about the barcode (product) displayed on LCD by Basic Stamp 2. so, LCD = BS2 = output. tell me if you want any more information about this project from me.
    edited 2010-01-20 12:41
    ShinXIII said...
    Hi sahniana,

Just like to ask did you guys came out something with project no 29. X Y Positioning - it something like, simple storage system?
    Since it's a bit related to my final year project and i am kind of clueless now. If you do have it, and dont mind to share. Please post out so i could have a bit clue on how to work on this project. thanks alot and wish you marry xmas in advance~

dear shinx,

i am really sorry about my late reply, and tq for wishing me xmas. information about the x y positioning:-
    - - - there are 2 dc motor use, one for x axis and one for y axis. in vb6 interface, i make a 3 x 3 grid. so, i have 9 positions. user select position from the pc application, then vb6 will process the user input, calculate x and y steps needed to go to the point specified by user then send it to BS2. BS2 received the command, process x axis first the y axis first. i only use dc gear motor, so the positioning is by using sensor. the motor actually drive the sensor, the sensor detect the position (i use distance sensor where the sensor detect the object that i use to mark the position).
    - - - tell me if u need any more help. tq.
  • hi sahniana..
    i'm currently doing my project and it seems like quite similar to your project no.16.. control the fan depends on the temperature surrounding.. if u don't mind, may i know the coding of that system?? i'm using SHT11 as my temperature and humidity sensor..
  • sahniana's last post was over 7 years ago ... an eternity in the tech world

When doing a project like this for school or university, it's always more useful to do the project without other people's examples. You'll usually learn more and better that way. Look at other examples after you've finished your own. There is also the small fact that, unless it is specifically allowed in the project description, it might be considered plagerism to use ideas from someone else's project (unless you credit them). Where I went to engineering school that could get you expelled.