Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Chip Sticker — Parallax Forums

Propeller Chip Sticker

HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
edited 2010-10-13 00:13 in Propeller 1
I have a project that needs a white sticker with black identifications for all the pins on a propeller chip. I remember a posted image file somewhere. Search is not pulling it up for some reason. Any ideas?

humanoido

Comments

• Toby SeckshundToby Seckshund Posts: 2,027
    edited 2009-11-29 15:31
    White writing on black background, but I used a photo copy from Parallax paperwork. I thought it was in the datasheet but I just checked and couldn't see it. I used to increase it to 109% to match the chip. laminate it with sticky tape, trim and stick to the Prop with Prit Stik.

Perhaps somebody can remember which document it was on.

Addit. I now think they may be a sales item, and so perhaps the image I saw has been withdrawn. Part number 120-00003

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Style and grace : Nil point

Post Edited (Toby Seckshund) : 11/29/2009 3:54:59 PM GMT
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2009-11-29 16:51
    Try this one[noparse]:([/noparse]attached)
    201 x 307 - 26K
  • Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi)Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) Posts: 23,514
    edited 2009-11-29 17:53
    Here's the artwork for the official Parallax label:

attachment.php?attachmentid=43543

-Phil
  • HumanoidoHumanoido Posts: 5,770
    edited 2009-11-29 19:26
    Thanks Phil. It will be easy to invert this and print it out. It's exactly what I wanted for this project. Thanks again!

humanoido
  • MicrocontrolledMicrocontrolled Posts: 2,461
    edited 2009-11-30 03:10
    Why doesn't Parallax sell these? I would buy some.... It makes for easy pin ID.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Computers are microcontrolled.

Robots are microcontrolled.
    I am microcontrolled.

But you·can·call me micro.

Want to·experiment with the SX or just put together a cool project?
    SX Spinning light display·
    Want cheap wholesale electronic parts?
    Transistor parts wholesale
  • Ken GraceyKen Gracey Posts: 7,386
    edited 2009-11-30 03:55
    microcontrolled said...
    Why doesn't Parallax sell these? I would buy some.... It makes for easy pin ID.

Good question and I'll tell you why.

Because setting up a new stock code, getting the part on the shelves, making it available for on-line ordering, etc. costs the business no less than a thousand bucks. How is that possible, you may wonder? One person makes the stock code, another places the order, a third and forth put it on the web site, and a fifth person manages the inventory setup. I've used the "loss leader" concept many times in the office and it starts to wear the team a bit thin when I always tell them that we'll make our profit elsewhere. Value their time at $60-120/hour and then factor in the opportunity cost of not placing their time on more valuable efforts that you really recognize (i.e., getting P8X32A-D40 chips in stock) and it becomes very clear.

And, in this case, you can print your own from our artwork on a laser printer using sticky-back paper! Free, and you can have it in five minutes without FedEx or USPS.

Ken Gracey
    Parallax Inc.
  • Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL) Posts: 1,720
    edited 2009-11-30 04:11
    microcontrolled said...
    I would buy some.... It makes for easy pin ID.

A thermal label printer works well. If you don't have one maybe you can borrow one. I use a little Brother QL550. It works well. yeah.gif You just have to trim it a bit.

Post Edited (Bob Lawrence (VE1RLL)) : 11/30/2009 4:28:59 AM GMT
  • TubularTubular Posts: 4,622
    edited 2009-11-30 04:18
    Why can't the laser that marks the DIP chips (including prop hat logo and batch code etc), also label the pin functions like the sticker does?

Even the middle 6 pins labelled would be useful, since the rest follow a logical sequence.

I'm sure there are many possible reasons as to why not. I'm curious as to which is correct.
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2009-11-30 04:44
    Phil Pilgrim (PhiPi) said...
    Here's the artwork for the official Parallax label:

attachment.php?attachmentid=43543

-Phil

Thanks, Phil, for posting the artwork.
    And thank you, Ken, for letting us know it's legit to use it.

smile.gif
    edited 2009-11-30 06:22
    I didn't really post anything, BTW. It's just a link to an image posted by Andy Lindsay awhile back.

-Phil
    edited 2009-11-30 08:11
    Tubular has a really good point here.
    Tubular said...
    Why can't the laser that marks the DIP chips (including prop hat logo and batch code etc), also label the pin functions like the sticker does?
    This leads to related considerations. I often see components and simply cannot read the markings on the surface. The printing should be bright white and large enough to read, however it is not that way on all the chips I see nowadays.

I often need to take a microscope photo to decipher the unclear faint dim code on the chip. Even so, that photo must be image processed to more clearly bring out the markings! Other times I can get by with two magnifying glasses stuck on my face and very bright light, taking time to reflect the light off the chip at the exact angle. In fact, most chips use a very dark gray process for printing. We all know what very dark gray looks like with a background of black. It's exactly opposite of what we want.

The Parallax Propeller chip is already different from other chips, in terms of its new, innovative and creative introductions of technology. Why not perpetuate this trend by being the first company to print legible white markings on the surface of the chip, that indicate the same as the sticker? This can include the chip number, pin designations, and logo.

Of course we don't want to up the expense so it should be accomplished very cheaply, perhaps less expensive than the current process. In the long run, it would lead to better wiring, and less accidental mistakes during wiring. Certainly it would make wiring more efficient and lessen the time it takes to build a circuit.

humanoido
    edited 2009-11-30 08:37
    humanoido,

It's a nice idea in theory. But laser marking has three advantages that I can see: 1) it's indelible, albeit faint, 2) it can be done inline during production without involving pad printer/silkscreen ink or hotstamp foil, and 3) it's 100% reliable. Since chip packaging is outsourced to mass production facilities, it's doubful that one could be persuaded to change their process for one customer.

-Phil
    edited 2009-11-30 09:21
    @ Phil

That was the exact reply I was expecting but not the one I wanted to hear. Thanks for your insight as to the inscription process. It looks like it will be up to us hobbyists to print our own labels and go around affixing each. Maybe if enough industries complained and didn't take things for granted, the process could be improved to a state of legibility.

For example, have you seen those high quality green printed circuit boards offered by Parallax? They have legible white labeling that is clear, easy to read, and identifies pins and a lot more. The process is absolutely indispensable and highly valuable to people using these boards. For years, I have admired the quality of these boards and the results of Parallax' labeling process.

humanoido

Post Edited (humanoido) : 11/30/2009 9:29:25 AM GMT
  • Graham StablerGraham Stabler Posts: 2,507
    edited 2009-11-30 10:15
    Humanoido (roboto is your middle name?), at some point during your image processing I hope you said "give me a hard copy of that."

Companies won't complain about the printing because if it is a chip they bought they will already know what it is and will be careful with storage/inventry, dimples etc provide all the information they need on orientation for prototyping and then in production the orientation will be fixed within the reel/waffle tray I suspect.

Rarely will a company be trying to work out what a chip is that is located on a board, if it their board they put if there, if not they have to pretend to be CSI like the rest of use [noparse]:)[/noparse]

As for the PCB, printing a legend is a standard part of the process, PCBs are made on panels, are big and flat and lend themselves to it.

Perhaps Parallax should use ebay for products like the stickers to avoid the overheads, or type faster [noparse];)[/noparse] [noparse];)[/noparse]

Graham
    edited 2009-11-30 11:26
    Graham, your idea of organizing a CSI solely for chip reading is taken under consideration. Perhaps the CSI group can organize chips, detect their tiny faint trace minute inscriptions, microscope the chip's latent image, transcribe and image process the files using techniques of digital litmus overlaying, edge sharpening, Fourier transforms and scene analysis, and thus complete the investigation and post the resultant files at the main CSI posting for download and printing. I suggest we open the X files, and hence therefore make an X file for each chip, available for printing. What do you think?

humanoido
    edited 2009-12-01 17:36
    A New Prop Sticker
    The original image did not print at the required size. To get this to work properly, the sticker
    was remastered using PAINT, then fed into PICASA3 for printing. I have made a set of instructions
    to follow, listed below. In the future I would like to make a change and add the chip part number.
    I find it preferable to affix the label with a couple pieces of rolled tape at each end, to facilitate
    easy removal. It may be vision personal preference but I find it easier to read black text on a
    white background.

humanoido

attachment.php?attachmentid=65490.....attachment.php?attachmentid=65492

[b]Printing the New Sticker at Exact Size[/b]
    The sticker image is now remastered - inverted and resized. To print using
    PICASA3, double click on the image in Library View, then File, Print…, select Shrink
    to Fit, click on Printer Setup, Effects, and type in 58% of Normal Size. Close the menu
    box and select print. To print more than one copy, in the print information window,
    select copies per photo by clicking on the + repeated times and observe the preview.
    In my setup, the printed label is the exact size and the designations line up exactly
    with the pins. Just cut these out with a scissors and affix using small piece of tape.
    This also saves ink when printing multiple copies. One tip is to print on a matte non-
    reflective paper for better visibility. As always, use proper precaution around hot
    components when using flammable paper labels.

Post Edited (humanoido) : 12/1/2009 6:06:55 PM GMT
    91 x 351 - 12K
    612 x 473 - 72K
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2009-12-02 01:45
    If there is that much of a need/desire for stickers, I can set something up with labels. I have two different material types:

1) Printed on a paper label the size of the DIP40. Cost is basically mailing only because the labels are obsolete so I have a roll that doesn't have a home. The only problem is that the markings can smear if rubbed hard enough. Fine for most installs, but if you are pulling the chip in and out for any reason, it may be an issue.

2) Polyester label, 2"x1.5", fits two labels. Can print either white on black or black on white. Cost 15 cents per label (2 stickers). These cannot smear.

Picture is attached of the two poly labels. If enough people are interested, I will set something up.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting
    WBA-TH1M Sensirion SHT11 Module
    Special Olympics Polar Bear Plunge, Mar 20, 2010
    1391 x 554 - 235K
    edited 2009-12-02 06:25
    WBA: very nice work and a reasonable offer! I just printed up a batch but I may need these in the future. The polyester label that does not smear, with black font on white background, would be my choice. I noticed the useful addition of the chip part number.

humanoido
  • Toby SeckshundToby Seckshund Posts: 2,027
    edited 2009-12-02 09:00
    Not that they get that heated, but I suppose that the extra insulating layer on top of the chip won't help, so once the experimentations have finnished then a naked chip (40 legged variaty, not 2 ) should be used.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Style and grace : Nil point
  • WBA ConsultingWBA Consulting Posts: 2,933
    edited 2009-12-03 02:34
    Here's the white on black on my Hydra.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Andrew Williams
    WBA Consulting
    WBA-TH1M Sensirion SHT11 Module
    Special Olympics Polar Bear Plunge, Mar 20, 2010
    364 x 336 - 41K
  • yarisboyyarisboy Posts: 245
    edited 2010-10-12 15:06
    Humanoido wrote: »
    I have a project that needs a white sticker with black identifications for all the pins on a propeller chip. I remember a posted image file somewhere. Search is not pulling it up for some reason. Any ideas?

humanoido

Search: Dual use Propeller custom component. Its white and I posted the library object last week.
    edited 2010-10-13 00:09
    Here's the white on black on my Hydra.
    The matching black is a work of art. It looks great!
    edited 2010-10-13 00:13
    yarisboy wrote: »
    Search: Dual use Propeller custom component. Its white and I posted the library object last week.
    Thanks Yarisboy. Do you have a link? I would like to see your label version. If you read page one of this thread, you can see the white label that I made along with the instructions for printing.