Need help with PWM signal from Parallax Propeller

karirafnkarirafn Posts: 2
edited 2009-11-17 22:11 in Propeller 1
Ok, so here's the background:

I am a student of Reykjav

Comments

• KyeKye Posts: 2,200
    edited 2009-11-17 18:50
    Mmm, parallax has all the software written for this to get everything working. All you would need to do is to download the new code and program the chip using the prop tool.

I believe some one has already done this. Not sure.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Nyamekye,
  • whickerwhicker Posts: 749
    edited 2009-11-17 19:22
    I'd really suggest finding someone on your end that does know about electronics and programming. It is not trivial "off the shelf" stuff you're trying to do, unless you just want to run an umbilical back to some toggle switches and potentiometer dials, and use mode 1 of those versatile motor drivers.

honestly, without an electronics guru, how do you propose to even get this to be autonomous?
  • Laserist1984Laserist1984 Posts: 9
    edited 2009-11-17 20:42
    You showed 2 motors controllers , and where are motors ? what the kind of motors ? maybe no need for H-bridge , maybe just some transistors TIP122 and resistors , it depends to your application , send please more information that other member of forum can reply to your need.
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-11-17 20:57
    The motor driver you're using will accept standard servo control signals (RC mode) which is exactly what the Servo Controller will produce out-of-the-box. On the other hand, the Devantech motor driver is much more versatile than just a servo motor and can accept a variety of control signals. Depending on how you intend to control this vehicle, you may not need the Servo Controller at all or you could use it as the sole controller for the vehicle assuming you wrote the necessary control program for it.
  • karirafnkarirafn Posts: 2
    edited 2009-11-17 21:06
    Kye said...

Mmm, parallax has all the software written for this to get everything working. All you would need to do is to download the new code and program the chip using the prop tool.

I believe some one has already done this. Not sure.

I found something called Control of a DC motors with H-Bridge chips (LMD18 (5th one from the bottom), do you think that this is what I'm looking for?
    whicker said...

I'd really suggest finding someone on your end that does know about electronics and programming. It is not trivial "off the shelf" stuff you're trying to do, unless you just want to run an umbilical back to some toggle switches and potentiometer dials, and use mode 1 of those versatile motor drivers.

honestly, without an electronics guru, how do you propose to even get this to be autonomous?

Originally there were supposed to be some electronics guys with us but they dropped out or something ... this is what I kept saying to my professors but they just said that we should just learn to do this ... like it was no problem ...

At the end of this semester we are supposed to be able to remotely control it, just through an ethernet cable and next semester we will be getting an addition of 10-20 persons, some of whom have an electronic background. So what we have to do this semester, regarding electronics, is basically just to get the controller and drivers working with our thrusters.
    Laserist1984 said...

You showed 2 motors controllers , and where are motors ? what the kind of motors ? maybe no need for H-bridge , maybe just some transistors TIP122 and resistors , it depends to your application , send please more information that other member of forum can reply to your need.

We are using SeaBotix BTD150 thrusters (datasheet).

Post Edited (karirafn) : 11/17/2009 9:14:34 PM GMT
  • Laserist1984Laserist1984 Posts: 9
    edited 2009-11-17 21:36
    Motors are DC brushed ,i think you need a H-bridge(to control Forward and Reverse) 5A for each motor and 2PWM from Propeller with different duty cycle, have a look to obect exchange motor control
  • mynet43mynet43 Posts: 644
    edited 2009-11-17 22:11
    Take a look at the "L293D test code" posting near here.

It has sample code for motor control with an L293D chip.

Let me know if you need a circuit to hook it up.