Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Stingray Standards? — Parallax Forums

Stingray Standards?

WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
edited 2009-10-14 17:58 in Robotics
Hey Stingray owners,

Would there be any advantages to establishing some pin standards for the Stingray. I know that standards are voluntarily used by some on the Propeller for things like video, audio, SD Card adapter,·etc and that the Propeller Wiki has these laid out. See - http://propeller.wikispaces.com/PinDefs.spin

Something like this might be handy for·some things on the Stingray too. Any thoughts on this?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney

Post Edited (Whit) : 10/13/2009 6:02:46 PM GMT

Comments

• TinkersALotTinkersALot Posts: 535
    edited 2009-10-13 18:13
    Seems like an interestnig way to be able to share program code between owners. But, I think it could be complicated by different users having different mixes of attached devices. I wonder if a complimentary idea would be that any "shared code" use constants for pins and not bury "magic numbers" in the program code? Just a thought
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-10-13 20:30
    Whit,

Currently the pins are defined as follows:

P30 – P31 – Serial communication and programming (standard across all Propeller platforms)
    P28 – P29 – I2C bus…not brought out currently, but connected to 64KB EEPROM
    P24 – P27 – H-Bridge Control (detailed in the documentation)
    P0 – P23 – Generic I/O through translator chips. Three groups of eight pins.

That’s pretty much going to be the same no matter what. Now, if we develop certain sensors and accessories, that may cause some of the generic pins to used for those purposes, or more unlikely to share the I2C pins. Is this what you were referring to?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    50 72 6F 6A 65 63 74 20 53 69 74 65
    ·
  • WhitWhit Posts: 4,191
    edited 2009-10-14 15:22
    Chris and TinkersALot,

That is what I was talking about. The fixed pins do seem to be well documented in the Stingray Robot Documentatin Sheet -http://www.parallax.com/Portals/0/Downloads/docs/prod/robo/28980-StingrayRobot-v1.1.pdf So those pins are set in my mind.

I was also thinking about P0-P23 - the generic ones. I know people will use them very differently. I just thought that maybe one might be assigned LCD display, or Ping))) or Pings))).

I also like TinkersALot's idea of one easy fix up in the constants rather than scattered through the code.

I guess you could also have P0-p7 at 3.3v (jumped from the power headers), P8-P15 at 5.0v and P16-P23 at VIN if you needed too.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Whit+

"We keep moving forward, opening new doors, and doing new things, because we're curious and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths." - Walt Disney
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-10-14 17:58
    Whit,

As the Stingray matures as a product and we have more accessories for it, our code examples will define how we recommend connecting the various accessories. No doubt though since the Stingray is a highly customizable platform customers will find what works for them in their specific applications.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage

Parallax Engineering
    50 72 6F 6A 65 63 74 20 53 69 74 65
    ·