Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Argh! Help with g2d12? — Parallax Forums

Argh! Help with g2d12?

overk1lloverk1ll Posts: 2
edited 2009-10-04 00:51 in Accessories
Hi everyone!

Okay so here's my issue - I have the g2d12 infrared sensor. I used it last year, and specifically remember that A) I was able to connect it directly to my boe-bot w/o external circuitry, such as the adc8031, and it was able to measure distance (it gave distances from 1-255 or so). It has 4 wires.

HERE'S THE PRObLEM: I can't find the instruction manual to tell me how to set it up again!

So naturally i checked all over the net to find one online, but all of them either tell me how to hook up a 4-wire g2d12, and sense if an object is there at all but it cannot get the distance, OR, they tell me how to hook up a g2d12 with THREE WIRES, using something called an adc8031!!! What's going on?

Can someone help me out here? Maybe link me to a manual i can use?

Thanks!

Comments

• ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2009-09-30 14:47
    If I had to bet, you are using a version of the sensor that was sold by some vendors that includes a serial ADC onboard -- which would have let you clock out distance values.

I think I have docs for that around somewhere, yes, see attachments below.

CAVEAT EMPTOR -- I have no idea if this the version of the sensor you have. Be careful smile.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- HST

1uffakind.com/robots/povBitMapBuilder.php
    1uffakind.com/robots/resistorLadder.php
  • overk1lloverk1ll Posts: 2
    edited 2009-09-30 20:24
    YES! That's exactly the instruction manual i was looking for; I recognize it from last year!

And I think you're right - it does look a bit modded. In fact I can even see the spot on the PCB where the three pins originally were - it definitely has a built-in ADC. I got it up and running; it's perfect!

I can't thank you enough!
  • ZootZoot Posts: 2,227
    edited 2009-09-30 21:47
    For those of you that are interested, here is the link to the GP2D12 with on-board ADC. It sells for a decent price given that it's ready to go on a Stamp w/no external circuitry needed. It can be used in several modes: raw analog, clocked SPI w/ADC, asynchronous serial w/ADC. It's also nice because it has .1" pads for soldering wires or .1" headers (if you don't like fussing with the tiny JST connectors built-in to a stock sensor).

www.hvwtech.com/products_view.asp?ProductID=91

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. -- HST

1uffakind.com/robots/povBitMapBuilder.php
    1uffakind.com/robots/resistorLadder.php
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2009-10-04 00:51
    Zoot

Thanks for that link that was that was a great find to the link to the GP2D12 with on-board ADC

http://www.hvwtech.com/products_view.asp?ProductID=91

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ··Thanks for any·idea.gif·that you may have and all of your time finding them smile.gif

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam