Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Propeller Speech (mic) Module: Interest? (board update) — Parallax Forums

Propeller Speech (mic) Module: Interest? (board update)

MicrocontrolledMicrocontrolled Posts: 2,461
edited 2009-09-29 01:07 in Propeller 1
This is my first ever attempt of a professionally developed circuit board. I have noticed that people have been wondering why only the Demo Board has the microphone. It is because the microphone's hardware has to be as small and as close to the chip as possible to reduce noise. I do not have an extensive knowledge of what "noise" is but because it affects the mic you can ONLY have the mic if you have the Demo Board. This is not suitible for cheap people like me who do not want to buy a demo board, it is also convienient for those who wish to develop projects involving the mic that do not what to have a custom board made. I have created a board with small, close together mic componants and a Propeller chip on board that should give demo board preformence without "noise". I have posted the EAGLE file here. It is most likely so full of errors that it would take a day just to fix them all, so PLEASE review the file and tell me the errors I have so I can fix them. Also, tell me if the setup is "noise"-proof and that the componants can work properly. If there is enough demand I will get some boards made by Golden Pheonix PCB and will start selling them online. If not, then I will move on. I do not want to be like·[noparse][[/noparse]someone I know]·and sell the hardware before the software but this is mainly for my Speech Recognition once it is compleated (if it is). Thank you in advance for all your help and comments!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Computers are microcontrolled.

Robots are microcontrolled.
I am microcontrolled.

But you·can·call me micro.

Want to·experiment with the SX or just put together a cool project?
SX Spinning light display·

Post Edited (microcontrolled) : 9/28/2009 11:35:34 PM GMT

Comments

• mctriviamctrivia Posts: 3,772
    edited 2009-09-25 18:12
    I am out for a walk so can't access eagle file.

Things to consider
    *ground plane-keep as much board area as possible covered in coper and use via to allow shortest path for ground between any 2 points
    *noise - long traces can pick up radio signals. Traces running in parallel can induce voltage in eachother. When possible shield parallel traces with grounded copper.

Only sch and brd files needed. B04 is a backup of old work.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    propmod_us and propmod_1x1 are in stock. Only $30. PCB available for $5

Want to make projects and have Gadget Gangster sell them for you? propmod-us_ps_sd and propmod-1x1 are now available for use in your Gadget Gangster Projects.

Need to upload large images or movies for use in the forum. you can do so at uploader.propmodule.com for free.
  • SapiehaSapieha Posts: 2,964
    edited 2009-09-25 18:17
    Hi microcontrolled

Never use 90 grad bending on traces
    Use 45 grad

Ps. Look on my picture

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Nothing is impossible, there are only different degrees of difficulty.
    For every stupid question there is at least one intelligent answer.
    Don't guess - ask instead.
    If you don't ask you won't know.
    If your gonna construct something, make it·as simple as·possible yet as versatile as posible.

Sapieha
    330 x 324 - 54K
  • RobotWorkshopRobotWorkshop Posts: 2,307
    edited 2009-09-25 18:24
    I would also suggest using 45 degree bends on the traces. One other thing that wasn't obvious from the image was if there are any caps right as the power comes into the propeller chip and if you have caps on the Power supply lines coming into the module.

Robert
  • AJMAJM Posts: 171
    edited 2009-09-25 18:54
    For those of us who don't know; why is it a better habit to use 45 degree bends as apposed to 90 degree bends?

Thanks,
    edited 2009-09-25 18:59
    Easier for traces to get damaged if 90 and greater reflection of high frequency signals

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

Want to make projects and have Gadget Gangster sell them for you? propmod-us_ps_sd and propmod-1x1 are now available for use in your Gadget Gangster Projects.

Need to upload large images or movies for use in the forum. you can do so at uploader.propmodule.com for free.
  • MicrocontrolledMicrocontrolled Posts: 2,461
    edited 2009-09-25 19:11
    Thanks, I'll get to fixing it. Any more comments are accepted. Is there any interest in this?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

I am microcontrolled.

• mparkmpark Posts: 1,305
    edited 2009-09-25 19:50
    Whether or not there is commercial interest, I hope you will continue to refine your design and post updates. I'm sure the process will be educational for you and also for people like me who hope to do some PCB designs eventually.
  • whickerwhicker Posts: 749
    edited 2009-09-25 20:01
    I'm not attempting to shoot holes in your specific design. Just passing on some hard-won wisdom.

If the board is not going to be solder-masked, a big square like that in the middle of the chip is going to make it next to impossible to solder by hand. The solder is going to bridge underneath the chip onto that pad.
  • Nick MuellerNick Mueller Posts: 815
    edited 2009-09-25 20:33
    Use "ratsnest", there seem to be unnecessary vias.

Nick

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Never use force, just go for a bigger hammer!

The DIY Digital-Readout for mills, lathes etc.:
    YADRO
    edited 2009-09-25 21:19
    my version of eagle is to old to load your file.

Don't be afraid to put vias directly under parts. Use DRC to check for errors.

attached is settings for use with goldphoenixpcb

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

672 x 506 - 10K
    673 x 508 - 12K
    670 x 506 - 10K
    edited 2009-09-25 21:58
    I am revising my board right now, and I did not put the ground pad under the chip. Thank you for the advice! Any more is appreciated!

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

I am microcontrolled.

edited 2009-09-25 22:12
    the ground pad under the chip is not a bad thing. if you notice whicker said if not using solder mask.

any professional board fab shop uses layers 29 and 30 to apply an isulator called solder mask. if this is applyed then the pad will not cause problems. If you are making the boards by hand yourself then you will probably not bother with a solder mask in which case you need to increase clearances and avoid large pads under chips.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• hover1hover1 Posts: 1,929
    edited 2009-09-25 23:32
    I addition to the other responses,

the problem here is that in the board manufacturing process, the outside corner can be etched a little more narrow, reducing the trace width.

Jim

AJM said...
    For those of us who don't know; why is it a better habit to use 45 degree bends as apposed to 90 degree bends?

Thanks,
  • VIRANDVIRAND Posts: 656
    edited 2009-09-26 07:10
    Recently I made some experimental "miscellaneous sound demos" as practice for more sound experiments.
    I have a protoboard which I wired similar to a demo board, which hopefully most people do.
    I recently added the mic, and was sloppy about it, and there is definitely a little bit of "noise" coming out
    of my board right now with the mic-to-ear object which can probably be blamed on the sloppy mic wires.

Noise sounds like "ssssssssssss" like when a radio is not tuned in to a local radio station and definitely not quiet.

My demos are noisy on purpose. They are extreme examples of sound compression that are as lossy as
    a bottomless bucket. Anything resembling sound from them is a miracle.

I'm doing lots of sound experiments,mostly weird synthesizer experiments, not much for speech recognition right now.
    edited 2009-09-28 23:32
    Here is the updated version. I started from scratch and did the whole board over agian wit 45 degree angle wire traces. I kept in large copper planes, not nessissarily ground, for looks in case I do not get a silk screen. Please tell me needed inprovements.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

I am microcontrolled.

301 x 212 - 16K
    edited 2009-09-28 23:43
    Try rotating the prop 45 deg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

edited 2009-09-29 00:52
    Why? It would require me to compleately redesign the board, so is it worth it? Also, how would you rotate it like that? I am not that good at Eagle.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

I am microcontrolled.

edited 2009-09-29 00:56
    How: click on device in field in top left where it says angle type in 45

As for why it would make your traces fit better

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

• Brandon C.Brandon C. Posts: 106
    edited 2009-09-29 00:59
    I would move the crystal a little bit - looks like it would cause a short.

Brandon C.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    No purchase necessary. See back panel for more details.

Tired of the same old robot brains? not enough processing power? Get the Propeller Robot Module now!!

edited 2009-09-29 01:05
    Thanks! I'll move the crystal and make (*sigh*) ANOTHER board redesign.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔

I am microcontrolled.

edited 2009-09-29 01:07
    Don't have to. Just a suggestion

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔