Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Smoothing Sensor Readings — Parallax Forums

Smoothing Sensor Readings

SailerManSailerMan Posts: 337
edited 2009-10-25 03:26 in General Discussion
I'm reading four Distance Sensors and I would like the best and most efficient way to smooth the readings that are coming from the sensors. I am using Pulsin and my readings are between 0 and 255. But sometimes the readings fluctuate wildly and I need to make sure that can't happen.

Does anyone have a good algorthm?

Regards,

Eric

Post Edited (SailerMan) : 12/18/2007 4:09:30 PM GMT

Comments

• John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2007-03-05 12:41
    Eric;

I don't have time right now to dig it out, but there was a lengthly and detailed discussion about this a month or so ago. I think it was in the Sandbox forum (Might have been Basic Stamp), and was discussing accuracy of distance (I think Ping))) sensors. They were also getting swings in readings and apparently unrepeatable distance measurements. I think they basically ended up averaging a number of readings.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.
    Click here to see my Nomad Build Log
  • BeanBean Posts: 8,129
    edited 2007-03-05 13:51
    Eric,
    At my work we do this:

Take 7 readings. Remove the highest and lowest, then average the remaining 5.

Bean.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Cheap used 4-digit LED display with driver IC·www.hc4led.com

Low power SD Data Logger www.sddatalogger.com
    SX-Video Display Modules www.sxvm.com
    Coming soon! Propeller based OSD module www.hittconsulting.com
    ·
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,912
    edited 2007-03-05 14:48
    You can do simple digital filtering on-the-fly. Do this by taking a percentage of the current reading and adding it to a percentage of the running value (the percentages should, of course, add up to 100). You can bias the response time with the percentages. For a fast response, use more of the new reading; for a slower response use more of the running value.

newReading = GET_SENSOR
      newReading = newReading * 3 / 4     ' use 75%
      sensorVal = sensorVal / 4           ' use 25%
      sensorVal = sensorVal + newReading

Note that you need at least two sensor readings to have a usable value when using this strategy.
  • SailerManSailerMan Posts: 337
    edited 2007-03-05 14:52
    Thanks all for your quick response.

John R. I thought I did a proper search I will look more.

Bean...I was thinking along those lines, but couldn't think of a good way to do that.

JonnyMac... Unique Idea I will try that and see if it works for my problem.

Post Edited (SailerMan) : 12/18/2007 4:10:41 PM GMT
  • John AbshierJohn Abshier Posts: 1,116
    edited 2007-03-05 15:43
    Check out Tracy Allen's web
    http://www.emesystems.com/BS2math5.htm
  • Beau SchwabeBeau Schwabe Posts: 6,545
    edited 2007-03-05 16:43
    There are several ways to do this. Below is basically a digital low pass filter...

This method allows you to dynamically set the number of samples without using the variable space to hold each sample.

New = {Sensor reading}
    DataBuffer = DataBuffer - Avg + New
    Avg = DataBuffer / Samples

If 'Avg' is a BYTE variable, and 'DataBuffer' defined as a WORD, you can effectively hold an Average consisting of a maximum of 255 samples. If 'Avg' is a NIB, then 4096 samples can be achieved.
    The variable called 'Samples' can be a constant therefore not impacting the available variable space.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2007-03-05 16:53
    John A,

Nice link... Thanks,

Eric
    edited 2007-03-05 17:10
    Beau,

That is short and to the point, I wrote a small program in "Blitz Basic" to test it and it looks like it's going to be a perfect little piece of code.

Thanks,
    Eric
  • John R.John R. Posts: 1,376
    edited 2007-03-05 17:39
    Eric;

I think you have a viable solution(s) already, but here's the thread I was thinking of:

http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=623170

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    John R.
    Click here to see my Nomad Build Log
  • Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,656
    edited 2007-03-06 17:47
    I'd just like to add a comment about filtering in general, when using integer math. There tends to be a bias toward lower values, and in order to get the best result it is necessay to carry along a few extra bits, to get nearer what you would expect from a precision calculation.

The imprecision comes from truncation. Let's say you have 15 samples at 8 bits, and 14 of them are value 101 and 1 of them is value 100. The average is 100.93, but if you are carrying out the average with 8 bit integer math, you will still be seeing a filter output of 100. As i said, the bias is toward low values, so as an input decreases and increases, there is a hysteresis effect as the average jumps between values, more easily down than up.

To lessen that effect, multiply the input by some factor (say 16 or 256) and take the average of that. The extra bits can slosh around and in effect interpolate to the right of the radix point, so you can get an interpolated reading as an output, or at least get a better round-off.

This doesn't matter if you simply what to reduce wild fluctuations and the least significant bit is not that significant anyway. But it does matter if you are using the average to do any kind of interpolation of noisy data.

Signals that have pop noise or occasional outliers are greatly improved by throwing away the min and max before the average, as Bean suggested, or by making a first stage filter output the median value to a second stage filter that takes the average.

If there is a strong frequency component in the noise, say 60 hertz, the most effective filter will take several samples carefully timed to cover one period of the interference. That is hard to do with something like a distance sensor, but look for possible effects of 60hz pickup.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • Matthias09Matthias09 Posts: 47
    edited 2009-09-03 15:29
    Guys,

just tried this code from Beau

New = {Sensor reading}

and don't know really how to implement that into the software. Does the samples variable increase with every measurement ? So first measurement means Samples=1, second measurement means Samples=2 and so on?
    What is the variable I am actually giving out as a result after certain amount of measurement, is it DataPuffer?

Thanks guys! [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Matthias
    edited 2009-09-03 16:09
    Matthias09,

The variable Samples is fixed to the number of samples that you want to average.
    The value on this depends on how you define DataBuffer and what the highest value you get from New

For instance, if you can only define DataBuffer as a WORD (the highest possible value being 65535), and the highest value you get from New is 50, then the maximum number of Samples that can be averaged is 1310. [noparse][[/noparse]65535 / 50 = 1310.7

Likewise, if you define DataBuffer as a WORD, and the highest value you get from New is 255, then the maximum number of Samples that can be averaged is 257. [noparse][[/noparse]65535 / 255 = 257

Your Input variable is New, while your Output variable is Avg

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Beau Schwabe (Parallax)) : 9/3/2009 4:14:51 PM GMT
    edited 2009-09-03 17:35
    Beau,

thank you very much. I now understand the idea of the code. However I got one issue left: how much samples do I have to do to get an reasonable result? I just quickly checked in excel and there, with a constant sensor input reading of 200, I need at least 25 samples to get something around 200 back.

I am measuring a moving object (ball rolling down a 2 feet long beam). It's not fast movement, but will the SX be able to calculate this 25 samples quick enough to be able to still provide a 'live' measurement?

In theory, the algorithm can handle 218 samples, so I can handle the 25 required ones. (with DataPuffer as a WORD and a maximum sensor reading of 300, 65535/300 = 218). But sometimes the sensor skips occasionally to higher values (like 600 or even 3031, the maximum value). So should I built in a restriction first that the maximum value the sensor gives out is 300?

Would I build a for...next statement around the code and make 25 loops for 25 samples?

Thanks Beau. Lot's of questions for the genius code [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Matthias

Post Edited (Matthias09) : 9/3/2009 5:47:17 PM GMT
    edited 2009-09-03 18:19
    Matthias09,

Your 25 samples assumes that the DataBuffer and Avg start out as Zero.

On your very first sample do this...

Avg = New
    DataBuffer = Avg * Samples

... and then apply this to any samples that follow...

"So should I built in a restriction first that the maximum value the sensor gives out is 300?" - Yes, otherwise clipping will occur.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.

Post Edited (Beau Schwabe (Parallax)) : 9/3/2009 6:25:45 PM GMT
    edited 2009-09-03 19:31
    Great! works!

Thank you!

I am curious: what is the advantage of this code over building just an average value out of the 5 values (except that I safe variable space)?

Matthias
    edited 2009-09-03 20:07
    This method creates a "Window" of averaged numbers where each new number is capable of affecting the instantaneous outcome by... 100% / #Samples ... i.e. if you set your samples to 20, then every New data value can affect the output average by 5% instantly, where as if you add 20 values and then divide by 20, not only is your data throughput cut by a factor of 20, but the result isn't instantaneous.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2009-09-03 21:03
    Matthias09,

Here is an example of something I'm working on right now written in SPIN using a derivative of this algorithm.
    The code eventually plays out to displaying 6 digits to the right of the decimal and is intended to capture the fractional difference and determine a bias on the LSB (least significant bit).

VAR
    long    RawValue,DataBase, Average, Samples

PUB MainProgram
        ADC.Start                                           '' Initialize ADC
        Term.start(31, 30, 0, 38400)                        '' Initialize serial communication to the PC
        SerialDisplay

PUB SerialDisplay

Samples := 100

Average := ADC.Raw
        Average := ADC.Raw                                 'Read value twice the first time    
        DataBase := Average * Samples 

repeat Samples
          Calibration
        Samples *= 100
        DataBase *= 100

repeat Samples
          Calibration
        Samples *= 100
        DataBase *= 100

repeat
          Calibration

PUB Calibration
        RawValue := ADC.Raw                              ' Read RAW 10-bit Adc value
        DataBase := DataBase - Average + RawValue
        Average := DataBase / Samples
        DisplayData

PUB DisplayData
        Term.tx(1)                                          ' Position cursor at the Home position
        Term.dec(RawValue)
        Term.tx(13)
        Term.dec(DataBase)

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2009-09-13 19:13
    Hi Beau,

thank you very much for the extensive information.

I understand the function of the code, however, have problems with implementing it into SX Basic. Main point: The output data varies a lot, independent from the amount of samples I take (tried 1 to 25). Actually I have more variance in the output data when using the smoothing algorithm than without. My Databuffer has a lot of fluctuation. I have the assumption, that the value read in the first loop is vastly different from the other, created ones. (I measured this) Do you have any idea?

Here is what I've build:

FUNC     RUN_ULTRASOUND

US_Black    PIN RC.6                     'black labeled Ultrasonic sensor
    ball_position    VAR Word             'ball position 2
    DataBuffer    var word
    avg        var word
    samples     var byte
    samples        = 10

FOR i = 1 TO samples                 

'-----Reading-----

US_Green = 0                     'set port to low
            PULSOUT US_Green, 5         
            PAUSEUS 100                     
            PULSIN US_Green, 1, ball_position         

'-----Smoothing-----
                                    'smooth in raw data, adjust only the final result. save time with that.
            IF i = 1 THEN                    'at first reading, initialize the variables
                Avg = ball_position            'Avg holds the averaged values, while ball_position holds the recent reading
                DataBuffer = Avg * Samples        'Databuffer is a non-physical value, that is required for calculation

ELSE                        'start to smoothen with 2nd reading onwards
                DataBuffer = DataBuffer - Avg 
                DataBuffer = DataBuffer + ball_position
            ENDIF    

NEXT

'-----Adjusting-----
                                 'convert the final result in mm.
         Distance = Avg * 5             
         Distance = Distance ** RawToMm     

'-----Transmitting-----

RETURN Distance 

'-----Resetting-----

Distance = 0

ENDFUNC

Thanks!

Matthias

Post Edited (Matthias09) : 9/13/2009 11:51:28 PM GMT
    edited 2009-09-14 06:58
    Matthias09,

Since you are only taking a certain number of samples to begin with before displaying the data, then it doesn't really make sense to use the smoothing algorythm when you can just divide your total number of samples by the sum of your data.
    The smoothing algorythm is designed for streaming continuous dataflow.

PULSIN is sensitive to 2us ... I wonder what the hardware end looks like? can you post a schematic?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2009-09-15 03:25
    Ok, I'll do this then. I use 2 parallax PING Sensors on the hardware side. nothing modified or special. What information are you looking for?

I will try the idea from Bean then (take a couple of readings, remove highest and lowest and average the rest). However, do you have any idea how I quickly can determine the highest and lowest value in e.g. 5 samples, all stored in an array?

Thank you!!

Matthias
    edited 2009-09-15 06:20
    Matthias09,

How are you using the two PING sensors? You can only use one at a time or else they will produce false signals or noise.

Also, looking at the documentation for the PING, I wonder what the reflective acoustic properties of the ball are, and how big the ball is....

The PING))) sensor cannot accurately measure the distance to an object that: a) is more than 3 meters
    away, b) that has its reflective surface at a shallow angle so that sound will not be reflected back towards
    the sensor, or c) is too small to reflect enough sound back to the sensor. In addition, if your PING)))
    sensor is mounted low on your device, you may detect sound reflecting off of the floor.

...So in an earlier post you said that your getting a value of 300 from PULSIN ... if I did that correct, that's about 8.14 inches?... does that correspond with your setup? ... and do your numbers report valid values if you manually move the ball? .. or do the numbers jump around?

My experience with the PING is that it's very stable, It seems as if your getting a huge amount of variation, then your PING might be seeing sonic reflections. Can you post any pictures of your setup and maybe describe how you are using two PING sensors?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2009-09-23 01:04
    Hi Beau,

I just let them run one after the other and give 2000ms time in between. So:

Ping1 PulseOut
    Pause 100ms
    Ping1 PulsIn
    Pause 2000ms
    Ping2 PulseOut
    Pause 100ms
    Ping2 PulseIn

So they won't interfere. I have pretty smooth read outs of both sensors, only when I start to smoothen with the algorithm, then I get a lot of jumps.

I get a maximal value of 300mm, the reading is already adjusted. 300mm are about 11.8in. The value is correct and works great with my setup.

Find a picture enclosed of the BnB System. Other than in the picture, I adjusted the sensors so they now look up in the sky with approx. 25deg. I did these as now they have a much bigger range (maybe due to less reflections from the beam itself). I don't actually know why they have a bigger range (also in single mode, means I only use one sensor) when I don't target them directly towards the object, but a little bit above, but it works fine.

THis is my code. I ccmmented out the smoothing process as it doesn't currently work.

FUNC DRIVE_US_SENSOR
    'Driver. Has to be called for each sensor. Gives back the position of the ball RELATIVE to the sensor. Provides Data smoothing:
    'make [noparse][[/noparse]samples] readings, built average, then give out the result.  When called for one sensor, [noparse][[/noparse]samples] values are taken for 
    'this one before switching to next one occurs. 

temp_gs     var bit 
    temp_gs =     __param1

FOR i = 1 TO 5                     'amount of readings before giving out result.

'-----Reading-----

IF temp_gs = Green THEN

led3 = ison
            led4 = isoff
            US_Green = 0             'set port to low
            PULSOUT US_Green, 5        '[noparse][[/noparse]PIN][noparse][[/noparse]Pulselength]. set port high for width of trigger variable (5). creates the pulse that I will 
                                    'later receive. after the pulse, port gets back to initial status (low).
            PAUSEUS 100             'Pause 100 microseconds
            PULSIN US_Green, 1, ball_position(i)  '[noparse][[/noparse]PIN][noparse][[/noparse]State][noparse][[/noparse]Variable to store result]. measure the width of an incoming pulse. 1 sets the transition of 
                            'the measured pulse (Flankenerkennung und Triggerung: port war auf low gesetzt. nun
                            'warte ich auf eine Veraenderung auf HIGH durch einfallenden Puls, den ich mit PULSOUT gesendet habe.
                            'PULSIN triggert also auf steigende Flanke. Der einfallende Puls wird als highpulse bezeichnet, dessen
                            'Laenge gemessen).The length of the measured pulse is stored in the word ball_position
         ELSE

led4 = ison
            led3 = isoff
            US_Black = 0                     
            PULSOUT US_Black, 5                 
            PAUSEUS 100                     
            PULSIN US_Black, 1, ball_position(i)         

ENDIF

PAUSEUS 700                'required for short distance measurements, so the sensor doesn't get signal from the previous cycle

'-----Smoothing-----  

IF ball_position(i) > 150 THEN     'maximal reading is around 150 (raw). Cut above, so sensor input data for smoothing is more reliable
            ball_position(i) = 150
         ELSEIF ball_position(i) = 0 THEN    'value stored in byte variable gets 0, when value > 256 (I define this as out of range). Give sensor special code (252, I chose that) 
            ball_position(i) = 252        'so that I can read from the sensor output, that the sensor is out of range (assuming that he never will 
         ENDIF                    'give back 252 as a averaged value) DON'T KNOW YET IF I NEED THIS FEATURE

NEXT

b1 = ball_position(1)                 'store saved sample data
         b2 = ball_position(2)
         b3 = ball_position(3)
         b4 = ball_position(4)
         b5 = ball_position(5)

{cut highest and lowest}     <-- yet to be implemented
          {average the rest}
          {save the value in the variable Avg}

'-----Adjusting-----
                                    'convert the final result in mm. see documentation for details
         Avg = Avg * 5                 
         Avg = Avg ** RawToMm     

PAUSEUS 2000                'to prevend that one sensor reads the other, give some time before function returns
                                    'and can be called again. 

'-----Transmitting-----

RETURN Avg

'-----Resetting-----

Avg = 0

ENDFUNC

Matthias

Post Edited (Matthias09) : 9/23/2009 10:47:49 PM GMT
    2048 x 1536 - 2M
    edited 2009-10-23 01:49
    Hi guys,

I'm still looking forward to a sleek way to smoothen the sensor data of the ONE Ping Sensor I'm using (two made too much noise, thanks Beau!).

So what I want to do:
    1) take 5 measurements and save them into an byte array (max value is about 100)
    2) cut lowest and highest value
    3) average the remaining 3 results
    4) give out the averaged value to my controller function
    5) next 5 measurements

Step 1 is easy, obviously. But how can I do step 2)? And is there a sleek way for step 3)?

Guys, hope you can help me with that! Without smoothing, the whole system (see picture in above's post) get's really crazy!

Thank you! wink.gif

Matthias
    edited 2009-10-23 03:37
    Matthias09,

#2 and #3 combined

' {$STAMP BS2}
    ' {$PBASIC 2.5}

N         VAR Nib
    DataIn    VAR Word
    MaxValue  VAR Word
    MinValue  VAR Word
    DataTotal VAR Word
    Average   VAR Word

MaxValue  = 0
    MinValue  = 65535
    DataTotal = 0

FOR N = 1 TO 5
        IF DataIn > MaxValue THEN
           MaxValue = DataIn
        ENDIF
        IF DataIn < MinValue THEN
           MinValue = DataIn
        ENDIF
        DataTotal = DataTotal + DataIn
    NEXT
    Average = (DataTotal - MaxValue - MinValue) / 3

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Beau Schwabe

IC Layout Engineer
    Parallax, Inc.
    edited 2009-10-24 23:49
    Hi Beau,

thanks again! I'll use the piece of code, it's simple yet powerful!

Now, during going on with programming last night I found out something: The reason, why my Ping sensors is jumping so much in his output data is not the sensor, it's the my motordriver function. So far my program looks like this:

DO
    1) read the ball position with the Ping
    2) determine angle to move with controller function
    3) move beam to angle with stepper motor
    LOOP

I played a little bit around and turned 3) off, and voila: the sensor reading becomes very smooth instantly (when ball is in the middle of the beam, the sensor reads now constantly 54, while before he read 136, 137, 54, 136, 145, 55, so also jumped between values around 55 (which is the actual position of the ball) and much higher values of 137). So I went on on searching and figured out that not the motor is the problem, but the pause I have after every step I move (PAUSE 18). deactivating the pause makes the stepper not move anymore (as I switch to fast between the steps), but prevents the jumping of the values of the Ping.

So now my question: how can the Pause command in step 3 impact the Ping sensor in step 1? I mean, the ping sensor doesn't start working until step 3 is done (with working I mean sending, waiting and receiving the wave) and step 3 is done only after the Pause command is done, which results in that step 1 is basically just delayed by step 3. But somehow the pause command delays also the Ping sensors, means the time between sending and receiving the data (otherwise I cannot imagine how the sensor can read 136 when actually the ball is at 55).

Any idea?

How can I solve that?

Should I basically quit this software architecture and go to an interrupt based one, like Zoot suggested here: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=849214

Thanks!!

Matthias

Post Edited (Matthias09) : 10/24/2009 11:54:34 PM GMT
    edited 2009-10-25 00:38
    So I just kept on playing around and I figured out: If I get rid of the PAUSE command, but watch the reading of my Ping in debug mode and for that set a BREAK after the WATCH command of my variable, the sensors is giving out the 136 value as well. So somehow the PAUSE and BREAK commands impact both the Ping, although there are called after the Ping routine.

So my question are [noparse]:)[/noparse]

1) is there any way how I can read the values the ping is giving back without impacting them at the same time? (what I do with the break command in combination with the watch command).

2) how can commands outside of the Ping routine impact it's results at all? I mean, everything is running in a consecutive order, so PAUSE or BREAK shouldn't have any impact in the Ping routine when called before or afterwards.

3) Is the Ping sensor giving different values back when running in debug mode with 4Mhz compared to run in normal Mode with 50 Mhz (as I use the PAUSEUS statement within the routine to set the delay between sending and receiving the wave).

4) How much time should I give the Ping between PULSOUT and PULSEIN? So far I have 100us (PAUSEUS 100).

Thanks!

Matthias
    edited 2009-10-25 03:26
    Ok, here it comes: I solved it! [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Problem: the 450us waiting period suggested between Pulseout and Pulsein in this thread under Capt. Quirks post http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=647889.

I reduced it from my 100us to 5(!)us and voila. No problems with any pause or break statements! Also now same values in debug mode and real mode (tested it with a led that turns on on a certain distance).

However, I'm still curious how this long waiting time can impact the result? Does the ping just catch old bursts?

Matthias
  • I just used the one posted by Beau and it worked really well. Had to smooth some millisecond readings.
    Long range
    Long new
    Long Databuffer
    Long Avg
    New := range
    Databuffer := Databuffer - Avg + New
    Avg := Databuffer / 16

• amalfiCoastamalfiCoast Posts: 130
    edited 2019-05-15 01:08
    Another solution would be to implement a Kalman filter to estimate the ranges.