Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
PIR sensor to relay — Parallax Forums

PIR sensor to relay

map makermap maker Posts: 8
edited 2009-09-15 22:25 in Accessories
Ive got a project I am looking to complete and need some help.

I have a event counter that is hooked up to a PIR sensor with a +(red),-(white),out? (yellow)inputs.

I want to convert the pir to a switch to trigger a event.

So i am wondering how i do this.
I thought if i touch out(yellow) to the -(white) it would trigger a count but it doesnt.

I get 2.77V when i·test red and white and 2.77V when i test red and yellow.

What do i need to trigger a event by using a switch/wires as opposed to a PIR sensor.

Thanks for any input.
Dan

Comments

• FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-08-03 15:42
    Could you supply a diagram of your circuit or at least what you want it to do? What PIR do you have and what are the specs for the relay?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • dev/nulldev/null Posts: 381
    edited 2009-08-05 01:50
    Like Franklin says, you should supply more information. The PIR from Parallax have output levels of +5V.

Here is a sample schematic for triggering a timer and a relay with a PIR: http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=826065

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Don't worry. Be happy
  • map makermap maker Posts: 8
    edited 2009-08-05 03:00
    Sorry, I wasnt clear in my question.
    I have a premade event counter that is set up to accept signals from a PIR sensor.

Here is a pic of the premade event counter and the PIR sensor hooks up to "sensor 1" on the R, W, Y which correlates with +,-, input
    Instead of using a PIR, i want to use a switch.
    I tried the parallax pir sensor on this premade event counter and it works. So i was thinking someone on this site would know how to use a switch to mimic the signals of the PIR.
    2048 x 1536 - 791K
  • kwinnkwinn Posts: 8,697
    edited 2009-08-05 03:39
    A single pole double throw switch with the common connected to input and the other connections to + and - may work if switch debouncing is done by the circuit.
  • SRLMSRLM Posts: 5,045
    edited 2009-08-05 04:27
    To use a switch, you'll need a debounce circuit (to make sure a single throw is registered as only one throw) and a pull-up or pull-down (so that you never get stuck with an open circuit). Google is your friend.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-08-05 15:12
    Looks like red to yellow through the switch. I'd add a 220 ohm resistor for safety but that's just me.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
    edited 2009-08-06 03:06
    thanks guys that what i needed. I had a hard time googling what i needed but debounce circuit is looking like what i need.

This is a great forum.
    edited 2009-09-15 22:25
    I finally figured out the solution to my problem below. And i thought i would put the answer on here in case someone else had this problem.
    840 x 525 - 13K