Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
1-wire object has no way of talking to the configuration registers. Anybody kn — Parallax Forums

1-wire object has no way of talking to the configuration registers. Anybody kn

ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
edited 2009-08-21 20:07 in Propeller 1
I've been using the object SpinOneWire.spin from the OBEX obex.parallax.com/objects/342/ and I've recently noticed that it has no method for writing to the Scratchpad memory, therefore the configuration registers can not be changed on a 1-wire device.

Specifically, what I'm trying to do is run a DS18B20 digital thermometer at lower bit resolution (9 or 10 bit) instead of its 12-bit default so I can get it to run at higher speed. I have attached the data sheet below.

Looking at pages 7 and 8 of the data sheet, I see that the "Write Scratchpad" command is 4EH, and to get the newly-set bit resolution to stay in the EEPROM of the DS18B20, a "Copy Scratchpad" (48H) command must be issued. The problem for me is that I don't understand what all the bit-banging procedures are doing in SpinOneWire. And I'm afraid if I try to learn this by trial and error, I'm going to get something stuck in the EEPROM of my DS18B20s and never get it out. sad.gif I feel like I'm on the hairy edge of understanding how to do this, but frozen with fear.

Anybody know how to make this work?

thanks,
Mark

Comments

• Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-08-20 16:00
    This "frozen with fear" stuff is silly. I've not even looked at SpinOneWire.spin, but I suspect that you can find where it sends the "Write Scratchpad" command. I bet that there are other command-byte-only situations where it should be fairly clear how the existing routines send just a command byte. I'd write a routine (or call an existing routine) to send the "Copy Scratchpad" command at the right time. Probably it'd work. If not, it's still the right idea and maybe I misunderstood some detail. The datasheet says that the only things you can affect are the TL / TH / Config bytes and the Config byte can only affect the resolution. Read the datasheet again. The datasheet is your friend! (Occasionally it's wrong, but occasionally friends are wrong too.)
  • ElectricAyeElectricAye Posts: 4,561
    edited 2009-08-20 17:18
    Mike Green said...
    T...The datasheet says that the only things you can affect are the TL / TH / Config bytes...

Oh yeah? ....Watch THIS! (Cue footage of thousands of people screaming and running for their lives, flames raining down from the moon, whole city blocks crashing to the panic-stricken streets below, the earth yawning open into a demon-filled abyss...)

I knew you were going to say that. Now I have to sit down and learn something again. Uggg... freaked.gif
  • Jimmy W.Jimmy W. Posts: 112
    edited 2009-08-20 18:34
    Mike Green said...
    The datasheet is your friend! (Occasionally it's wrong, but occasionally friends are wrong too.)

Best quote [noparse]:)[/noparse]
  • JonnyMacJonnyMac Posts: 8,918
    edited 2009-08-20 19:16
    To Mike's point, data sheets are your friends and after spending a bit of time with the DS1822 data sheet I was able to update my 12-bit only program to work with variable resolution. This should help as the DS1822 is similar to the DS18B20.

Post Edited (JonnyMac) : 8/20/2009 7:22:51 PM GMT
    edited 2009-08-20 19:45
    JonnyMac said...
    ...This should help as the DS1822 is similar to the DS18B20.

Thanks, Mac!

I'll look this over tonight... after I pave over the demon-filled abyss outside my window.

smile.gif
  • CounterRotatingPropsCounterRotatingProps Posts: 1,132
    edited 2009-08-20 19:49
    ElectricAye said...

Thanks, Mac!

I'll look this over tonight... after I pave over the demon-filled abyss outside my window.

smile.gif
    Just be more careful with that eeprom next time E.Aye!

Don't want to jump into the forum to see a post from you titled:

" Sorry folks I've just caused a black hole in the Earth's core. "

(You're at least wearing safety goggles?)

<G>

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • RevAaronRevAaron Posts: 30
    edited 2009-08-20 20:47
    I'm a near newbie when it comes to 1-Wire, so I might be missing something... But, to read and write to the configuration registers or scratchpad, you just send the applicable command code and the data to go along with it. Not that different from doing a temp read- except, you're also sending along another 3 bytes with the config info.

What I did in the Arduino version of my code (delays removed for the sake of brevity):

present = ds.reset();
        ds.select(addr);
        ds.write(0x4E,1);   // CMD: Write to Scratchpad
        ds.write(0x78,1);   // Temp High setpoint
        ds.write(0x01,1);   // Temp Low setpoint
        ds.write(0x3F,1);   // Write 1 byte

present = ds.reset();
        ds.select(addr);
        ds.write(0x48,1);   // CMD: Copy Scratchpad to EEPROM

I've had problems getting the translated version of this code (or the 1-Wire tests) working on my Propeller. I've not had the time to figure out if there is a problem in the library, or what the deal is. Using the same wired-up breadboard with three devices on the 1-Wire bus on both the Arduino and the Propeller- two DS18B20-PAR and a DS1904. *shrug*

Aaron
    edited 2009-08-20 21:17
    It's not likely the problem is in the library (how quick we are to place blame) -- the library only reads and write bytes using the 1-Wire buss.

You have to send those bytes in a very specific order. Also, there are occasions when the device is busy and you need to wait. My DS1822 code (above) works and demonstrates how to correctly set the TH, TL, and configuration bytes, as well as how to wait on the DS1822 when it's busy.
    edited 2009-08-20 22:30
    RevAaron said...
    .... two DS18B20-PAR and a DS1904. *shrug*

Aaron,

your problem might be in using the PAR (parasitic) version of the DS18B20. For some reason they do NOT work with the SpinOneWire object as far as I can tell. I do not know enough about all this bit banging to understand why. My friend, the D18B20 datasheet, does not specify any difference between the PAR and normal versions of the chip, so I'm confused about why the PARs don't work. Could it be that their configuration registers need changing somehow??? Or maybe the PAR version needs more time for conversions??? I'm clueless as to why it happens.
    edited 2009-08-20 23:19
    In the DS1822 data sheet you'll find this note concerning the COPY SCRATCHPAD command:

If the device is being used in parasite power mode, within 10us (max) after this command is issued the master must enable a strong pullup on the 1-Wire bus for at least 10ms as described in the POWERING THE DS1822 section.

This would in fact require a change to the one-wire libraries as the 10us turn-around to put power on the 1-Wire buss could not be accommodated in Spin
    edited 2009-08-21 00:05
    JonnyMac said...
    In the DS1822 data sheet you'll find this note concerning the COPY SCRATCHPAD command:

If the device is being used in parasite power mode, within 10us (max) after this command is issued the master must enable a strong pullup on the 1-Wire bus for at least 10ms as described in the POWERING THE DS1822 section.

This would in fact require a change to the one-wire libraries as the 10us turn-around to put power on the 1-Wire buss could not be accommodated in Spin

That certainly goes a long way toward explaining the problem. However, I have tried to run a DS18B20 PAR version wired like a non-parasitic version and it still does not work. I don't see anything in the data sheet that explains how a PAR chip version might be different from a normal version (I'm not talking about the external wiring, of course), so I just presumed that the PAR tag was a marketing thing and not indicative of any real difference in devices. I'm guessing they might load something into EEPROM that's different between PAR and non-PAR. But that's just a wild guess. In fact, I don't even see the PAR nametag anywhere on the datasheet.
  • BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2009-08-21 00:10
    JonnyMac said...

No it can't do 10uS but I've got a SPIN one wire parasitic driver that works in practice. You just need to get that pin high as fast as you possibly can after the command is issued. I wrote it before I got my scope, and I've been meaning to measure it to see how fast it does actually raise the pin, but it does work.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    lt's not particularly silly, is it?
    edited 2009-08-21 01:41
    Based on what Brad has seen it might be best to use a separate pin and MOSFET to enable parasitic power -- this scheme is shown in several 1-Wire docs. The control pin could be placed in output mode at the top of the program and just one instruction to turn it on or off.

Using a stiffer 1-Wire pull-up might be helpful as well.
  • BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2009-08-21 06:37
    JonnyMac said...
    Based on what Brad has seen it might be best to use a separate pin and MOSFET to enable parasitic power -- this scheme is shown in several 1-Wire docs. The control pin could be placed in output mode at the top of the program and just one instruction to turn it on or off.

On any bus longer than about a foot, or having more than one parasite device I use a prop pin to trigger a 2N7000 which in turn switches on a generic PNP transistor for the hard pullup to +5V. This works a treat. I use 3 pins. A data input pin with a 10k resistor. The pull-up circuit and a 2N7000 for pull down. I have no problems at all driving 10 devices on telephone wire with a SPIN driver.

I count poll CRC / timeout errors and I see very, very few over 1,000,000 poll cycles in an electrically noisy marine environment with unshielded cable. I'd probably see less if I used an assembly driver but then I'd lose another cog.

<edit> Now, this prompted me to break out the CRO. While this method works for me (and works well, I might add) it allows the DS1820 to pull the bus down *badly* for 14.75uS, so it is _well_ outside the specification. Incidentally, the 1820 is waiting 17.4uS from the end of the last bit until it really hits the bus for current so the total time from stop bit end until the hard pullup is enabled is actually 32.15uS. Having said that, it works in the field. I'd not build a product based on it though [noparse]:)[/noparse]

Now I'm geared up for it I'm going to have a crack and see if I can build a spin write routine to bring it within spec. I honestly believe it can be done with a little bit of fiddling of the timings.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    lt's not particularly silly, is it?

Post Edited (BradC) : 8/21/2009 7:25:02 AM GMT
  • RevAaronRevAaron Posts: 30
    edited 2009-08-21 18:57
    ElectricAye said...

your problem might be in using the PAR (parasitic) version of the DS18B20. For some reason they do NOT work with the SpinOneWire object as far as I can tell. I do not know enough about all this bit banging to understand why. My friend, the D18B20 datasheet, does not specify any difference between the PAR and normal versions of the chip, so I'm confused about why the PARs don't work. Could it be that their configuration registers need changing somehow??? Or maybe the PAR version needs more time for conversions??? I'm clueless as to why it happens.

@:
    There are actually two datasheets, one each for the DS18B20 and DS18B20-PAR:

http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/DS18B20.pdf
    http://datasheets.maxim-ic.com/en/ds/DS18B20-PAR.pdf

As far as I can tell, the only difference is that one can use an external power supply while the other can't. The -PAR suffix denotes that that part can *only* be used with parasite power, rather than it being a part with parasite power ability added.

I originally was using a 10K pull-up, but I also tried a 4.7K per the datasheet. I was getting a returned value, but it was always the same, never wavering. Which does suggest a timing issue in the library. Is there any reason to believe that the -PAR devices have some more problems because of 3.3V? Are longer charging delays needed? My problem isn't attributable to config registers needing to be changed- like I said, the board is all ready to go. The only things that change are the Vcc, GND, and Data lines moving between different dev boards.

There have been other problems with 1-Wire on the Prop for me, though I've not had the time to discover why. That is, if I have the following on a breadboarded 1-Wire bus I do get them enumerated with on my Arduino, but not my Propeller:

1. DS18B20-PAR
    2. DS28EC20
    3. DS1904
    edited 2009-08-21 19:16
    While 4.7K is the "standard" you can make that stiffer -- this might help. Change the pull-up to 1K. At 3.3 volts this would allow 3.3mA to the device which is about double what it needs for temperature conversion and EEPROM operations.
    edited 2009-08-21 20:07
    RevAaron said...

There are actually two datasheets, one each for the DS18B20 and DS18B20-PAR:

Now I feel like a total idiot. I wonder why I never noticed that before?

Thanks.
    blush.gif

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Watching the world pass me by, one photon at a time.