Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Parallax GPS Receiver Module #28146 I/O — Parallax Forums

Parallax GPS Receiver Module #28146 I/O

fgfg Posts: 1
edited 2009-08-05 13:43 in Accessories
We are using your GPS module item no. 28146.

is any h/w is needed to interface the pin 3 "SIO" to 3.3v logic (e.g., Coridium wireless - www.coridiumcorp.com). In particular is a current limiting resistor required? Is that sufficient? What should it's value be and what if any other level shifting or other protection is needed?

Is there any danger if the connection doesn't revert to an input quick enough that damage could occur to the GSP module through pin 3?

Can you provide an equivalent circuit for pins 3 and 4?

·

Comments

• Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-06-16 16:26
    This message is off topic and is being moved from the Completed Projects Forum to the Sensors Forum.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
  • Mike GreenMike Green Posts: 23,101
    edited 2009-06-16 18:48
    When connecting the GPS module to a Propeller (with 3.3V logic), only a 1K to 2K series resistor is needed between SIO and a Propeller I/O pin. Presumably the same should work with other 3.3V logic I/O. There are other level shifters that can also be used between 3.3V and 5V logic. Some 3.3V microcontroller I/O pins are "5V tolerant" and are designed to be connected directly to 5V logic. Follow the microcontroller manufacturer's recommendations and use common sense. A 1K series resistor will protect the GPS module from accidental short circuits that can occur when the GPS module is trying to transmit data while the microcontroller I/O pin is also in output mode of the opposite state.
  • viskrviskr Posts: 34
    edited 2009-08-05 13:43
    The LPC2103 on the Coridium wireless is 3.3V IO with 5V tolerant pins. They can be directly connected to the GPS module IOs without any resistor or level shifter.

Like all TTL if you are connecting directly to a 5V power supply you must use a limiting resistor.

The wireless board can be powered from a regulated 5V wall wart, which would then be able to supply power to the GPS module.