Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
Thermocouple interfaced with Basic Stamp 2 — Parallax Forums

Thermocouple interfaced with Basic Stamp 2

CogburnCogburn Posts: 62
edited 2009-08-02 01:07 in BASIC Stamp
I want to use a K type thermocouple to control the temperature of a lead melting pot. The temperature would need to hover around 750 degrees F. I noticed that when the Parallax thermocouple kit is used, a BS2P is required. I have several BS2 IC's and I wish to use one of these and not have to purchase an additional microcontroller. Is there a way to use the BS2 to control the heater via an SSR ? Perhaps there is an available interface chip that would go between the BS2 and the thermocouple that would allow the use of the microcontroller I already have? Also, does anyone know the reason that the Parallax thermocouple kit REQUIRES the BS2P microcontroller?

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Showing up to school doesn't·mean you are a student any more than crawling up in an oven means that·you are a biscuit.

Comments

• Tracy AllenTracy Allen Posts: 6,656
    edited 2009-08-02 00:07
    The Parallax kit uses the one-wire interface, and the OWIN and OWOUT are only available on the BS2p series.

Another good chip that interfaces easily with any Stamp using SHIFTIN and SHIFTOUTis the MAX6675.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Tracy Allen
    www.emesystems.com
  • sam_sam_samsam_sam_sam Posts: 2,286
    edited 2009-08-02 00:39
    Tracy Allen

I have one of these kit from Parallax but have not used it yet

Can you tell how stable Parallax thermocouple kit is

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    ··Thanks for any·idea.gif·that you may have and all of your time finding them smile.gif

·
    ·
    ·
    ·
    Sam
  • CogburnCogburn Posts: 62
    edited 2009-08-02 01:07
    Thanks Tracy- I will order the maxim chip

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Showing up to school doesn't·mean you are a student any more than crawling up in an oven means that·you are a biscuit.