Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
USB Keyboard/Mouse? — Parallax Forums

USB Keyboard/Mouse?

VaatiVaati Posts: 712
edited 2009-07-08 05:21 in Propeller 1
Is it possible to interface a usb keyboard or mouse to the prop as if it were ps/2?· I have a diagram of the internal connections of one of those USB to PS/2 converters, and using usb keyboard/mouse would be a LOT cheaper and easier for one of my projects...

Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
Quit buying all those fixed voltage regulators, and·get an Adjustable Power Supply·for your projects!· Includes an LED testing terminal!

Comments

• KyeKye Posts: 2,200
    edited 2009-07-07 19:11
    The mouse or keyboard must be capable of switching to ps2 mode.

That connector is simple an eletrical interface.

You can I believe find cheap converters from ps2 to usb... ans I believe there may be somthing that converters usb to ps2. Search newegg.com for some.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Nyamekye,
  • VaatiVaati Posts: 712
    edited 2009-07-07 19:17
    Well, I was wondering if I could build my own without using a ps/2 to usb and having the usb port on the pcb...

I have attached a hard earned schematic found on the last few pages of a google image search.· lol.gif

Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Quit buying all those fixed voltage regulators, and·get an Adjustable Power Supply·for your projects!· Includes an LED testing terminal!
  • StefanL38StefanL38 Posts: 2,292
    edited 2009-07-07 19:44
    If the device is not able to switch to the PS/2-protocol it will not work.
    As far as I remember there were some trys to get a usb-device working but the specs of usb have a very high level about timing

see this thread http://forums.parallax.com/showthread.php?p=764744

best regards

Stefan
    edited 2009-07-07 19:46
    Okay, well I will need to rip apart a usb extender cable or get some female ports...

It would be excellent to use usb instead of my ps/2 keyboard with a bunch of bent pins...

Thanks.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • StefanL38StefanL38 Posts: 2,292
    edited 2009-07-07 20:15
    Hello Vaati,

from your last post I'm not sure if you understood what I meant.

EVERY PURE USB-device will NOT WORK with the propeller DIRECTLY.

ONLY devices that can CHANGE their bitbanging on the wires to the OLD PS/2-protocol will work with the propeller.

For brandnew PURE USB-devices you have to use the FTDI-vinculum-chip as an interface that translates from USB-protocol
    to RS232-serial or SPI

best regards

Stefan
    edited 2009-07-07 20:44
    Yes, I did indeed understand what you were trying to convey. smile.gif I will just have to do a sort of perverted form of "guess-and-check" except with mice/keyboards...

I know that it would be stupid to try to interface a device such as a usb flash drive using the same connection, as the Vinculum thingy does that, and it isn't *too* expensive....

Thanks for your help and advice.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
  • Peter JakackiPeter Jakacki Posts: 10,193
    edited 2009-07-08 04:23
    I have been thinking about fitting my boards with a USB A connector simply for those hybrid keyboard and mice so that they can plug in directly without an adaptor. This has a few advantages plus I can press some of the USB code that's available into service for those pure USB devices if really needed using the same connector. Has anybody tried out the USB code that's been posted previously?

*Peter*
  • BradCBradC Posts: 2,601
    edited 2009-07-08 05:21
    Peter Jakacki said...
    Has anybody tried out the USB code that's been posted previously?

It's been in daily use 24/7 for me for over a year now [noparse]:)[/noparse]
    Serial-ACM USB-serial emulator to a linux host (with UHCI patches to allow it to work low-speed).

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Missed it by ->" "<- that much!