Shop OBEX P1 Docs P2 Docs Learn Events
LCD Wiring Example — Parallax Forums

LCD Wiring Example

jhwattsjhwatts Posts: 35
edited 2009-06-27 02:34 in BASIC Stamp
I recently purchased one of these

http://store.gravitech.us/13secogrlcd.html

and I am looking for a simple wiring example of how to wire it ti my BS2px24 on the super carrier board.

Comments

• xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2009-06-12 15:04
    I bought one of those items and ran it up using the materials I have attached below - there's a PDF manual and the code I used with my BS2 and my BS2sx.· The 2sx was markedly faster in driving the display, but the refresh rate was far too slow for any serious use.· The 2px MIGHT give you a useful screen refresh rate.· I'd probably say the propeller chip would drive these better - but then again, the propeller drives full scale video...

Let me know if the attached items help you get the display running OK, I'll be happy to help if you have any problems.

Dave X
  • jhwattsjhwatts Posts: 35
    edited 2009-06-12 20:15
    I have managed to get it powered up and get the backlight on but I am still confused what pins on carrier board to wire the lcd to. Can anyone help?
  • Clock LoopClock Loop Posts: 2,069
    edited 2009-06-12 23:31
    ON YOUR BS2
    ON YOUR LCD
    Reset P3 ' Connect ALL pins with 10K resistors --> 4 RESET Input LCD reset (active low)
    SData P2 ' Connect ALL pins with 10K resistors --> 5 SDATA Input Serial data
    SClock P1 ' Connect ALL pins with 10K resistors --> 6 SCLK Input Serial clock
    CS P0 ' Connect ALL pins with 10K resistors --> 7 CS Input Chip select (active low)
    edited 2009-06-13 02:24
    Got it. Now how do I get some text on it?
    edited 2009-06-18 01:33
    I am trying to use the LCDOUT command but I am having problems generating text or character on the LCD. Could anybody give me some suggestions?
  • xanatosxanatos Posts: 1,120
    edited 2009-06-18 03:29
    Best response I can give is that, from the sample program they provide that makes the sine waves, the unit is designed to make a given pixel's x/y coordinate a given color. You would probably have to make a lookup table that would be the equivalent of a character map. If I am correct in my belief, the program would very large. Given this, and the slow speed of the screen draw on the BS2sx, I chose to not pursue this option with the stamps. I am planning on getting the professional propeller development board, and that chip does regular video, so I will probably play with this device again at that time. The display has pretty low contrast though, and the OLED displays are starting to come into their own...

Dave
  • Chris SavageChris Savage Parallax Engineering Posts: 14,406
    edited 2009-06-19 20:21
    Hello,

You would not use the LCDOUT command with this LCD as it is not a Parallel display. The post from Clock Loop described wiring it up. You need to use SHIFTOUT as the display is a 9-bit SPI device. I hope this helps, take care.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    Chris Savage
    Parallax Engineering
    edited 2009-06-26 13:59
    I just bought a JHD 204A 20X4 LCD display. Can anybody provide me with any wiring examples or code examples. I am using the BS2px24 on the super carrier board. Any help would be appreciated.
  • FranklinFranklin Posts: 4,747
    edited 2009-06-26 15:03
    Try linking a datasheet and maybe we could help. Next time buy a Parallax display.

▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔▔
    - Stephen
  • mikedivmikediv Posts: 825
    edited 2009-06-27 00:09
    jhwatts,, is it serial or parallel I have code for both in Spin and for the BS2 I have a lot more code for the serial displays though PM or Email and I will send them to you
    I also have wiring diagrams if you need them for the BS2 and Prop chip
    edited 2009-06-27 02:34
    @mikediv I emailed you. Thank you.